Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 07:46   #751
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Alto 800 - Unusually high fuel efficiency!

400kms and 22.5 liters gives an FE of around 17-18. That’s not great. 20 plus would be great. 30+ would be unusually high.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:08   #752
Senior - BHPian

17-18 kmpl is okay for an Alto, depending on load & driving style.

I've a feeling your fuel level indicator isn't working and getting stuck at 60%.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:21   #753
Senior - BHPian

The answer is rather simple, Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch is mostly downhill. If you were not stuck behind the truck on the small uphill sections, this would have ensured the FE didn't drop by much. You have mentioned yourself that most of the drive was without AC.

These are the main contributors to the phenomenal FE you have achieved.

To test the theory, if you do a Madras-Bangalore under similar AC conditions, chances are that you won't see more than 19.x or 20.x

Besides the best FE is achieved on short haul highway stretches that you are most familiar with and you would generally take it easy with the knowledge of driving it multiple times.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 07:36   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

Just done with experimenting Fuel efficiency of my Renault Kwid 1.0

I must admit I have become a bit too much obsessed with experimenting with Fuel Efficiency (from that surprising moment when my Safari Storme gave me 15 kmpl, I went all guns out until I could get 17.96 kmpl from that bigboy).

Kwid 1.0, City : Highway - 20 : 80, AC Off in the last 2 tankfulls. Getting consistent 24+kmpl. Refilled today and will be seeing how much I get with AC ON, in the same driving conditions.

ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-screenshot_20210726072243_fuelio.jpg

Not bad at all for a 6 year old, 47000 km run beater car.
ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-20210726_061417.jpg

By the way, this is what the MID shows after a 11 km drive from the petrol pump, without AC.

ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-20210726_072000.jpg

I can confidently say, it's easy to get 26+ kmpl from the kwid if it's a 100% Highway drive, provided, you can put up with the monotony of driving between 65-75 kmph.
Bottomline: The most important factor for Fuel efficiency is the driver

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th July 2021 at 07:40.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 08:14   #755
BHPian

Ameo DSG (Diesel) with 20750 KMs. Considering it is a diesel car with DSG and me being a relatively sedate driver, the below numbers really do not justify the same. Majorly been driven within the Mumbai city and been stuck in multiple traffic jams (its common here) still cannot fathom the fact that it gives such abysmal FE.

Reading this post and seeing petrol cars giving 20+ KMPL where my personal high has only been 20.9 (TFTE Method) is little disappointing. Last TFTE gave 11.7 KMPL.

Anyone has any specifics tips or know how of the reasons? Any Mumbai owners of TDI DSG who can share their FE figures here?
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-screenshot_20210726080755_drivvo.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-screenshot_20210726080746_drivvo.jpg  

Last edited by VWAllstar : 26th July 2021 at 08:16.
Old 26th July 2021, 08:31   #756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

Anyone has any specifics tips or know how of the reasons? Any Mumbai owners of TDI DSG who can share their FE figures here?
You can't complain being in a major metro city with a lot of b2b traffic. 11 kmpl is still very decent.

One thing with automatics is that they don't let you drive below a certain rpm in every gear like manuals. Manual vs Automatics, its easier to stay at lower rpms on the former, while also reducing the number of shifts.

11 kmpl to 20 kmpl is a good 10 kmpl difference between the best and worst fuel efficiencies of your Ameo. Same is the case with my storme.

The best fuel efficiency was 2x the worst fuel efficiency.
ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-screenshot_20210726082733_fuelio.jpg

In my cases, I live in a tier 2 city and hence my cars very rarely see dense traffic, let alone traffic jams.

The best our Rapid 1.6 tdi had returned was 23.5 kmpl, driven constantly at 90 kmph on the highway with a few overtakes done at higher speeds.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th July 2021 at 08:33.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:44   #757
BHPian

Cross posting from Ford Aspire thread

Guys, need your advice for my Aspire TDCi done 1.07L kms.

Off late the FE of car has dropped by nearly 3 kmpl, whether in city or on highway. Nowadays the car has been driven on highway 90% of the time. Driving conditions are same and literally everything is the same. I had a doubt regarding the EGR, so got it cleaned at the service centre but it was of no use. I've been filling fuel regularly from a COCO bunk and changed that too, but without any gain. Got all the fuel lines and leakages checked at the service centre but everything was intact. The drop in FE was noticed after the 1L kms service only.

Any pointers on what could be the reason? Will diesel additives help? I've never used one so bit sceptical in using it on a high-mileage car.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 11:22   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The answer is rather simple, Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch is mostly downhill. If you were not stuck behind the truck on the small uphill sections, this would have ensured the FE didn't drop by much.
Assuming that there is no other traffic on the uphill sections:
One thing to be mindful of, is the tendency to try and maintain the same speed when driving uphill. It would be better to continue driving with the same input levels for acceleration, and if the speed drops because of the incline, downshift when needed. This will give better FE.
Old 19th January 2022, 11:44   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post

Off late the FE of car has dropped by nearly 3 kmpl, whether in city or on highway. Nowadays the car has been driven on highway 90% of the time. Driving conditions are same and literally everything is the same. I had a doubt regarding the EGR, so got it cleaned at the service centre but it was of no use. I've been filling fuel regularly from a COCO bunk and changed that too, but without any gain. Got all the fuel lines and leakages checked at the service centre but everything was intact. The drop in FE was noticed after the 1L kms service only.

Any pointers on what could be the reason? Will diesel additives help? I've never used one so bit sceptical in using it on a high-mileage car.
Since you say it happened after service, you can check the following sensors (and their connectors / wiring):
  • Inlet air temperature
  • MAP / MAF sensors
  • Fuel temperature sensor
  • Injector needle lift sensor or fuel flow sensor

Do you see higher smoke levels from the exhaust? Also see if the clutch is slipping.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 12:10   #760
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I drive a Feb 2020 Swift VXi AMT in Delhi. The usual office commute is on city roads (mostly Ring Road which has very few traffic signal stops). The car has done about 25000 kms till date and has been regularly serviced at a MASS. The approximate fuel efficiency that I am able to get is around 18-19 kmpl (range is from 17.xx kmpl to 19.xx kmpl).

I am a sedate driver and keep the tire pressure around 33 psi. 90%+ of time there is only a single occupant.

What more can I do to increase the fuel economy and extract more from the car? Thanks!
Old 19th January 2022, 14:14   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Hello BHPians,

I drive a Feb 2020 Swift VXi AMT in Delhi. The usual office commute is on city roads (mostly Ring Road which has very few traffic signal stops). The car has done about 25000 kms till date and has been regularly serviced at a MASS. The approximate fuel efficiency that I am able to get is around 18-19 kmpl (range is from 17.xx kmpl to 19.xx kmpl).

I am a sedate driver and keep the tire pressure around 33 psi. 90%+ of time there is only a single occupant.

What more can I do to increase the fuel economy and extract more from the car? Thanks!
I think 17 - 19 kmpl is pretty good and max you can expect for Petrol Swift with single occupant on ring road with very few traffic signals. There is no question of extracting more.

Just maintain the car well, do oil changes at specified intervals or before. Monitor the air pressure. You can maintain this FE in long term.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 14:50   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...-mpg-5170.html
This is a thread which should show you how to improve your FE. Some are extreme steps, just pick and chose wisely.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 12:51   #763

Hypermiling basics | Getting the max fuel efficiency

Hypermiling refers to a set of driving techniques used to extract the most miles per unit of fuel from your car. Achieving the highest possible fuel economy is all about conservation of momentum. Here are some ways in which you can save some gas and be a more efficient driver.

1. Remove unnecessary weight from your car. This is something simple but can have a huge impact on your fuel consumption.

2. In terms of fuel consumption at cruising speed, AC on >/= AC off windows down (due to increased drag) > AC off windows up

3. On highways, try to maintain a steady speed of 80-90 kmph. Fuel economy drops significantly at higher speeds (more info at https://mpgforspeed.com/)

4. Contrary to popular belief, shifting to a higher gear as early as possible does not necessarily give better fuel economy. An important concept to understand here is BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption). Simply put, BSFC is the amount of fuel consumed per unit power produced. Although less fuel is consumed at a lower rpm (e.g. 2000 rpm vs 2500 rpm), when accelerating, you would ideally want the engine at an rpm range where the BSFC is lowest. This rpm range is called the sweet spot and can be anywhere between 2000 and 3000 rpm in most cars.

side note: I came across conflicting information online whether full throttle or part throttle achieves better efficiency when accelerating. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed some light here.

5. As a general rule, use the ABC pedals as little as possible and try to conserve the car's momentum. For example, when you see a red traffic light ahead, let off the accelerator and coast in gear. It requires more energy to move a car from standstill than one in motion. However in emergency situations remember safety always comes first.

6. Almost all modern cars have a feature called deceleration fuel cut off (DFCO) which essentially cuts off fuel when decelerating in gear above a certain engine rpm. This means when going downhill, staying in gear not only provides engine braking but uses virtually no fuel (when off the accelerator).

7. The above feature (DFCO) also means, a higher fuel economy can be achieved by accelerating up-to a speed and then coasting, instead of keeping the accelerator depressed all the time. (e.g. accelerate to 100 kmph and coast till 80 kmph, then repeat). This technique is called Pulse and Glide.

Are there any hypermiling techniques you guys use that are not mentioned here? Please share them below
toyotafanboi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 13:13   #764
Senior - BHPian

re: Hypermiling basics | Getting the max fuel efficiency

Thanks for sharing.

When going uphill, maintain the same level of A pedal input. Downshift if needed. Increasing the A pedal input to maintain the same speed as before decreases FE.
adisan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 15:46   #765
BHPian

re: Hypermiling basics | Getting the max fuel efficiency

For cars prescribed 0W-20 grade of engine oil by the manufacturer, minimum engine-warmup (idling) time is 50 seconds and if warmup cannot be given in the morning then do not exceed 2000 rpm for the initial few kilometers BECAUSE trying to gain initial acceleration with a cold engine consumes more fuel than expected.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 7th March 2022 at 16:09. Reason: Proofread
Sushil Pingua is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed