Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2009, 00:48   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

I miss the old dhabas

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmalayam View Post
Dhabas are the best places to relax. But you do not have to discuss your travel plans. The rule in dhabhas is that you talk less and listen more. Dont want to have some local hoodlums or inebriated urchins on your trail, do you?
I really missed the old-style dhabas on the NH2 this time. The charpoys under the sky, the little fellow running up to you with water in a plastic mug, the steaming tea, the blaring radio, the roaring bonfire on winter nights, the shiny utensils and tasty food. Maybe we lost something on our way to getting the GQ et al. It's plastic chairs and dirty tables now, the tea comes in plastic cups and doesn't quite taste right, and the food doesn't taste as good. Tried following my nose like I used to, and headed for a few dhabas where a lot of trucks were parked, but somehow the ambience was missing. It was all plastic chairs and tables for us, while the truckers had their separate room at the back, segregated from the LMV driver - as if guys like us have an allergy to charpoys. 20 years ago, the dhaba used to be a safe haven from the fears of the highways. Today, the highways are fast and safe, the dhabas feel shady.

Members please post your own opinions and comments about the state of the highway dhabas in different parts of the country.
Old 1st February 2009, 07:07   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 bits: If you have kids in the car, consider investing in quality infant/child seats and fit them to the rear seats of your car.

Many a time, I have observed families out on highway drives with a kid on someone's lap on the front seat. Neither is the adult belted in and nor is the child tethered in any way. Always make all adults wear seat belts and also strap in every child in the car.

Effectively, this also means that a break every 2 hours is needed to let everyone stretch their limbs etc!

The downside is that 2 child/infant seats in the rear seat will make it uncomfortable for even a slim adult to sit (I have an Aveo).

My kids are very used to their car seats and refuse to travel in the car without them :-)
Old 1st February 2009, 08:58   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I am aware of the enjoyment, convenience, and comfort; and also some precautions. Only point is (perhaps I did not make it clear): tiredness and feeling of being wiped out after the trip. When you go out of town, you want to up and running the minute you hit your destination.
Vasudeva, I have been reading your posts regarding this.
You are perfectly capable of doing it; it's just that you haven't discovered that part of yourself yet!
Start with leisure trips, preferably with friend/s. To have one other person that can drive will take away that 'tension' in you.
On reaching the destination, why do you have to be 'up & running', LOL? Are you confusing business trips with the train travel kind of program? You'd generally take a night train, sleep the night and be up & running on arrival the following morning.
It's not like that if you travel by car. You'd leave the previous day. Car journeys are best done during daylight hours. Does time permit? If not, don't go by car.

Leisure trips done in your own car will reveal to you a whole new dimension of enjoyment. To the point, I dare say, where the journey itself becomes half the fun. Go as you please, stop where & when you want to, eat at a place of your choice, check in to a hotel whenever you feel it's been a long enough day!
It's all a state of mind. No one and nothing can stop you from enjoying it and becoming addicted to it. You are the only one who can prevent all this from happening to yourself!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2009, 08:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I really missed the old-style dhabas on the NH2 this time. The charpoys under the sky, the little fellow running up to you with water in a plastic mug, the steaming tea, the blaring radio, the roaring bonfire on winter nights, the shiny utensils and tasty food. Maybe we lost something on our way to getting the GQ et al. It's plastic chairs and dirty tables now, the tea comes in plastic cups and doesn't quite taste right, and the food doesn't taste as good. Tried following my nose like I used to, and headed for a few dhabas where a lot of trucks were parked, but somehow the ambience was missing. It was all plastic chairs and tables for us, while the truckers had their separate room at the back, segregated from the LMV driver - as if guys like us have an allergy to charpoys. 20 years ago, the dhaba used to be a safe haven from the fears of the highways. Today, the highways are fast and safe, the dhabas feel shady.
Fully agree. As an oft solo traveler on NH8/western India - I loved dhabas, esp with charpoys - the current setup of plastic chairs is BAD for the tired traveler. I love charpoy places where I can just relax.

Dhabas with sardarjis, would be such a welcome sight for this punju boy in gujjuland, and there's many a times I've been welcomed with a smile on the lips and an open invitation to relax/sleep as much as I'd want, and most importantly, a feeling of being safe.

Somehow, NH2 doesn't inspire that. Nh1 still has that to a decent extent, as does NH8, as long as one sticks to dhabas with HR38/55 trucks only!
Old 1st February 2009, 09:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Fully agree. As an oft solo traveler on NH8/western India - I loved dhabas, esp with charpoys -
I vividly remember them, but can't say I really miss them! I never travelled alone; it was always with a carload of women! Wife, daughters & my Mom. Never used to see any families stopping over at these dhabas, so never ventured to try. The other BIG reason that precluded them was the fact that NONE had a toilet fit enough to be used by ladies.

What I do miss are the charpoys and the wooden benches/tables. Brite Plastics put an end to all that, LOL! I do also miss the thatch, canvas and the tin roofs.
Specifically I do miss the days when not ONE dhaba used to have a deep freeze or a fridge! THAT was the guarantee of fresh food! Those days have forever gone.
Old 15th June 2009, 23:31   #81
ada
BHPian

I have read the complete thread and one thing that bugs me is the advice never to venture out at night. I can understand that if you are covering areas where you have never ventured out before or a known notorious area. But when the drive is regular, I personally prefer night drive. Maybe its a carry forward from the days of ambassadors and fiats which tended to overheat during day travel (every 2/3 hours we would promptly stop to pour water in the radiator), when there were no car with A/C's, and generally night travel at that time was more preferable. Even the truck drivers ventured out at night and I guess still do today.
Old 16th June 2009, 12:16   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
I have read the complete thread and one thing that bugs me is the advice never to venture out at night. I can understand that if you are covering areas where you have never ventured out before or a known notorious area. But when the drive is regular, I personally prefer night drive.
Unfortunately, in India, night driving still entails:

1. Poor lighting on many highways. Few roads have proper markings.

2. Combine the previous point with the fact that high beam / low beam discipline is absent with commercial drivers, and then we have unforeseen boulders & objects on the road. Recipe for disaster.

3. Instances of drunk driving are higher at nights. Ditto for the crime rates.

4. Can get dangerous if you get a flat tyre or your car suffers a breakdown in the middle of nowhere. Multiplier effect for women in the car.

Personally, I prefer night driving but avoid it when travelling out with family.

Related link : Please continue the discussion over on that thread.
Old 16th June 2009, 13:50   #83
ada
BHPian

GTO -- That puts things in perspective, I remember whenever I drove at night it was with my friends never with my family.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:39   #84
BHPian

Reminder: Things to Carry if you drive a lot.

Day before yesterday, just around mid-night while i was way back to home, i had a flat Tyre.
Had a buddy along and after jacking and all, found Spare wheel is FLAT too, although had it repaired before i put it back, and that was just a accident.
Luckily i was in front of a Petrol Pump, which had a functional Air Tank.
Filled the spare wheel and guess what, Drove Fast Towards my home.

Next afternoon completely forgot that i have 2 flat tyres went to garage, kept my laptop, water and cellphones etc opened the main gate and guess what, i can't go bank for urgent work, now i was in a bad mood, but instantly recalled that i purchased a Rs.100 foot pump, looked for it in store and found it, inflated Air and Back to Business, Went to the shop where i get my wheels patched up cause he uses machines to open the rim, not the ones who Poke a Metal ROD till your tyre comes out in pain.

Had one tube fully replaced, and the one i was driving on was patched.

So morale of the story is Keep a few handy things, there are less chances of Panic & Pain.

Things i drive with now
1). A Foot Pump (kept with spare wheel, doesnt takes any extra space)
2). First Aid Box
3). 2 Ltr Bottle
4) L.E.D. Based Torch
5). OEM Tool Box.
6). A Rope 5 Mtr of one which can be used to Tow
7). Few Extra Fuses
8). 1-2 Meter Thin Wire + 1-2 Meter Thick Wire
I'll be making a Jump Start Cable within Next 1-2 days for sure.

Do you guys have more ideas ?
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:54   #85
BHPian

whats point 8 for ?

9) Heavy metal object like hammer or something similar to break open the window in case you get caught in a flood and without power
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

Already discussed here (ARTICLE: Preparation for an Indian Road Trip).
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:37   #87
BHPian

Yes RJS, i knew such a topic existed thats why this one is named Reminder.
Jinu_joseph, wire can be handy if you have few burnt or broken wires, eg. rat eat half of your power cable, and it blew up when you are in middle of no-where.
Old 6th November 2009, 14:16   #88
BHPian

Night Driving for nearly 20+ trips so far

I have almost done 20 highway trips so far and about 90% of them in the night on highways. But i do read posts about the risks of night driving, but somehow i am addicted towards doing that, may be due to my driving confidence. I have never faced any weird situations so far and enjoyed every part of my sleepless (driving) night. I get good signals from the ongoing vehicles ahead and strictly follow lane discipline and overtake trucks very cautiously. I do respect the vehicles coming behind me and give them right signals. Everybody in family are against me doing night driving for long hours without sleep. Need expert views and suggestions about my interest in night driving. Is it good or bad doing that ?
Old 7th November 2009, 11:53   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Ssengo : Do refer to this thread for an elaborate discussion on daytime versus nighttime driving.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:25   #90
BHPian

Very useful thread. I'm sure even the veterans here gained a few pointers from all the gathered wisdom.

My question is -

What are the pros and cons of doing a 1500+ km road trip on a brand new car which hasn't been broken into yet. I am not referring to the engine .

What are most common parts to fail in a new car vs an old car.

Apart from all the things listed above , what are the risks involved if any? and does one need to take any special precaution especially for a new car.

Also what do you guys think of carrying a self defense, non-lethal weapon like a "pepper spray" or a "stun gun" when going on a long road trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks