Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2007, 04:19   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
Please elaborate more. Isn't this the techniques use by vehicles on highway to give side to vehicle behind them ?
I feel this is a rule that people invented. This is really confusing at times as to - is the person letting you overtake or is he/she taking a right turn? There cannot be 2 meanings for the same thing. Both can have totally different end results if one understands it the other way.

Nirmal
Old 18th August 2007, 09:41   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
I feel this is a rule that people invented. This is really confusing at times as to - is the person letting you overtake or is he/she taking a right turn? There cannot be 2 meanings for the same thing. Both can have totally different end results if one understands it the other way.

Nirmal
Absolutely! Its a darn confusing signal and one that, I am sure, has led to accidents. Instead of the right indicator, would it not make more sense to use the left indicator.....you could overtake in either situation (whether the car is actually taking a left turn OR is signaling you to overtake).
Old 18th August 2007, 23:02   #48
Team-BHP Support

Check out an entire thread devoted to this discussion here >
A Strange Local Traffic Signal (Indicator For Overtaking)

cya
R
Old 31st August 2007, 19:50   #49
BHPian

Things i should keep with me on long drives!

Hello Everybody,

I own a Matiz SD 2000 model which has done 77k, pretty good in condition i get around 12km in city and around 18-19km on highway with AC. I have fitted tubeless tires(I like taking my vehicle on long drives and puncture's are what am scared off, so i decided to fix tubeless tires).

Though I keep my vehicle in good condition, get it serviced as the per my garage instructions and get it check before & after I come back from long trips.

My question is:
1] What should I carry as spare or temporary fix incase my car breaks down in middle of nowhere?

2] What are the things which can go wrong?

3] Depending on the breakdown, can it be fixed by us(with limited knowlegde inside of car) ?

Few of my points & Experience:

1] Carry extra headlight bulbs(incase you like driving in night, usually i avoid, can't handle those heavy halgen lights, since matiz is low vehicle, bigger vehicle even if they're on there lower beam, its hits my eyes, making it impossible for me to see), any tips ?

2] Carry coolent. (Usually water will do but i carry coolent)

3] Carry good glass cleaner. ( Especially, driving on highway, i always get oily, greasy coat over the front windscreen, which makes it till difficult to drive in night, because lights of other vehicle reflects very badly)

4] I keep 30psi in all tires.

5] I have autocop installed in my car, the car auto locks automatically in 30seconds. Phew! i got stuck in middle of nowhere once, i got out of car to stretch myself, i guess i stretched little more then 30seconds and bhoosh! car got autolocked and am outside looking at my car and asking why on earth did it do that . After 2 hrs one truck driver helped me open my car. Since then i always carry spare key in my pocket if am going on long trips. [I know whoever reading this must be laughing but..]

6] I drink lots of energy drink when am driving long. ( like Redbull.. keeps ,me active when driving, wont let me sleep).

7] Last but not the least, please do wear seat belt even if you're in city.

Will Apperciate everybodies inputs.
Thanks & Please Drive safely and follow traffic rules,

Latesh

I will apperciate everybodies input to my concern and hope this will help others like me too.

Drive safely,
Latesh
Old 31st August 2007, 20:10   #50
BHPian

I believe in murphys law:everything that can go wrong will go wrong.

so prepare for worst and hope for best.

things to carry:
1.torch owerful 1
2.rope: towing ,just in case
3.jump cables
4.some type of air pump to fill air in tyres in case spare also loses air.in case of tubeless only.
5.all papers of the car
6.good cds
7. plenty of fluids and energy bars
8.spare fuses , headlamp bulbs.
that what i can think of right now!
more experienced members ll put in more
Old 8th November 2007, 10:13   #51

Post Edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT quote entire 50 line posts in your reply. Thanks

That exactly matches with the real time scenarios on Indian Highways.
Thanks very much for the tips Sudipto.

Suresh.

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2007 at 19:02.
Old 10th March 2008, 16:08   #52
BHPian

TODO before a road trip

Hi Guys,

I am very new to owning a car, and have never been on a long trip. I would like to have inputs from the bhpians here about the todos before a long road trip, like alignment etc.

I would be doing a trip from Hyd to Bangalore in Ugadi weekend on my 31k down alto. I bought it from True value and the last free service was done around June last year. It hasn't has an oil change since I bought it and drove 5k kms in last year and 6 months approx.

Thanks.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th March 2008 at 17:48. Reason: Post moved. Please search before you open a thread.
Old 10th March 2008, 18:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jits_1998 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am very new to owning a car, and have never been on a long trip. I would like to have inputs from the bhpians here about the todos before a long road trip, like alignment etc.

I would be doing a trip from Hyd to Bangalore in Ugadi weekend on my 31k down alto. I bought it from True value and the last free service was done around June last year. It hasn't has an oil change since I bought it and drove 5k kms in last year and 6 months approx.

Thanks.
First thing first, since your car is serviced quit long ago, I would recommend you to do a full service. Looks like your oils have not been changed in the last 1.5 years. I would recommend you to replace all the oils. If the oils has not been changed for more than 2 years then it has to be changed ASAP, no matter what is ODO reading.

before the journey
1) Check your tyre pressures (Keep 2-3psi more than recommended cold pressure, for Alto it should be 32-33psi)
2) Carry lots of water...
3) Stepney Jack: Take it out and put back in (sometimes it gets jammed if you have not used it for long time)

It is just 570km / 9-10hours journey, so nothing much to worry about assuming that your car has no pending issues before the journey.

Enjoy
Abhi
Old 10th March 2008, 21:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
It is just 570km / 9-10hours journey, so nothing much to worry about assuming that your car has no pending issues before the journey.
I am going to be back within 3 days, so thats 1140 kms in 3 days. Does it matter in your view, in terms of preparation.
Old 11th March 2008, 14:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to be back within 3 days, so thats 1140 kms in 3 days. Does it matter in your view, in terms of preparation.
Should not. Only thing you need to keep in mind is that you need to have a good night's sleep before either journey.
Old 11th March 2008, 14:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No it doesnt matter as long as your car is timely serviced and you had nice sleep and rearing to go.

Abhi
Old 11th March 2008, 14:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post

things to carry:
1.torch : powerful 1
2.rope: towing ,just in case
3.jump cables
4.some type of air pump to fill air in tyres in case spare also loses air.in case of tubeless only.
8.spare fuses , headlamp bulbs.
Do I need to carry these on Hyd Bang Hyd trip ?
Old 11th March 2008, 15:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do I need to carry these on Hyd Bang Hyd trip ?
I always go for long trips, and keep the following things:
1) A rope (which is always there in the boot)
2) A foot pump (Now that I have tubeless tyres, it may not be much of a use)
3) Extra bulbs (I use 100/90 bulbs, hence kept my stock 60/55 bulbs as buffer)
4) Torch (Can be used in the hotels or for some search)
5) Eicher Road Atlas
6) Medical Kit (this is always there since my biking days)

I have all my trips with all these so far including my very long (Blr - Kolkata - blr trip)

I suggest you worry more on your car servicing part than these stuffs. One long drive and you will have a fair idea of what to keep and what not.

Abhi
Old 11th March 2008, 18:44   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I suggest you worry more on your car servicing part than these stuffs. One long drive and you will have a fair idea of what to keep and what not.
Yeah servicing and oil change I will get done. Will try on how this goes. This is for preparation for my all India trip :-). Picked this as it would be the best with little distances between 2 en route cities I think.
Old 12th March 2008, 12:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Few more from my side, which I always keep on long trip, other than mentioned by other members:

1. Extra fuses, 2 for all numbers
2. Quick Fix/elfy, for any sudden break
3. 3-4 meter electrical wire.

Already Listed(Spare Tube, 12V air compressor, Coolant, Break Oil, Some Engine Oil, multi Tool Box)..

These are just few from cars perspective.

Most Viewed