Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 15:08   #16

Skoda Fabia 1.4MPL

I bought a Skoda Fabia a couple of months ago its done about 1500KMs. I have had issues with the car from day one.
1.) Sluggish Pick-up: This started happening within the second day that I bought the car. The car just didn't move sometimes it took around 10 seconds and close to 50 meters for the car to actually pick up speed in the first gear.
2.) Hardness in the Brake Pedal: Apparently these issue is related to the first one. This is what my dealers told me as well as the some BHPians that the brake fails when the engine is not running or something to that effect. This is pretty scary luckily this happens only when the car is in a very slow speed.
My car landed up being in the workshop for almost 10day, 2 days after i bought it. And they couldn't fix the problem they blamed it on the bad fuel in India and that I use 93+ octane for the car. Which is ridiculous!
3.) Suspension Noise: From day one - whenever I braked in a very slow speed I get this really annoying cranking sound in the suspension. Its unbearable when you spend so much money.

I think will follow these steps as indicated by Team-bhp it seems very doable.

I definitely want my money's worth.

Sunit
Old 15th October 2008, 19:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am really shocked to know this about Skoda. They seem to be going back to the good old Communist Czekoslovakia days, when the word Skoda (and also Lada) meant everything that could be wrong with a car.
Can't help quote two old jokes about Skoda
What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof? A Dumpster. Why do you need a rear-window defroster on a Skoda? To keep your hands warm when you're pushing it.

But things indeed improved after VW takeover, in terms of image and product quality.
I think you should take the company to task for what they are doing to your peace of mind. What's the dealer saying about the problems you mention? Please keep us posted about the progress.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:50   #18
BHPian

Have I been sold a lemon?

Hi,

Need help here. I bought a Maruti Alto in December 08 and the following are the problems I find in it. Are these normal problems or have I been sold a lemon?

1. When the door is open, the cabin light is supposed to switch on automatically. This happens for all doors except for one of the rear doors
2. The AC vent to the right of the steering wheel does not throw air at all
3. When I leave the steering wheel and drive, the car swerves to the left. I mentioned this during my first service also, but the problem remains
4. One of the rear doors has to be banged to shut properly
5. There is always some shuddering sound or some vibration when I drive. It is as if some door isn't closed properly. I check and re-check but the sound remains
6. When 4 people sit in the car, the pick up goes really low. Even small inclines demand third gear and sometimes second gear

After the first service, I complained at the helpline number about the 'left swerving problem' and that it wasn't rectified.

How do I convince myself that there is nothing inherently wrong with the car?
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:29   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That's hardly a lemon, Travelwriter. Get a competent authorised service center to solve these minor problems.
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:59   #20
BHPian

1. When the door is open, the cabin light is supposed to switch on automatically. This happens for all doors except for one of the rear doors - Switch problem? Cant be anything too complicated plus it doesnt affect your actual driving experience
2. The AC vent to the right of the steering wheel does not throw air at all - Get it checked by a A/C Mechanic, probably just a blocked pipe.
3. When I leave the steering wheel and drive, the car swerves to the left. I mentioned this during my first service also, but the problem remains - Wheel Aligment, easy enought o get checked.
4. One of the rear doors has to be banged to shut properly - Get the locks checked, cleaned and aligned.
5. There is always some shuddering sound or some vibration when I drive. It is as if some door isn't closed properly. I check and re-check but the sound remains - Where is this shudder from any idea?
6. When 4 people sit in the car, the pick up goes really low. Even small inclines demand third gear and sometimes second gear.
Samir Taheer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:03   #21
BANNED

I bought a Corolla in 05, well all I wanted/aspired for was speed & upgraded from my 1st. gen. Honda City. Let me say over here that my real interest lies in big vehicles, actually SUV's. This has also got to do with my size, which is on the higher side of 6ft. & usual Punjabi built.
This car has always been a "lemon" for me eversince, never suited me with its cramped legroom upfront, diffcult to approach rear seats. All got to do with Japanese engineering keeping in mind their tiny builts. Suspension of the car was below par, noisy, bumpy, etc. On slight rough usage, mechanical, electrical failures were common. Rough usage means, my car usually drives at speeds of ~ 170+km/hr & I skip braking at rough patches of road because fast ride over such stretch keeps it comfortable, otherwise ride is no short of a tractors.

So, maybe its not so much of a "lemon" from the company, but is for me because of its character! ie. the car turned out to be a "lemon" for me, but many continue to enjoy it still.

In case my post is OT, mods. feel free to delete it.
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Neat, precise, correct advice - great article

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
I do not agree that stage 2 should be publicity.
Better to go to court.
Since I think that doing a -ve publicity will harm you in the court.

Also... if and when the court case closes on your side, then it becomes a public document and you are free to do bad publicity (in proper limit), since the ruling has become a public domain document/ruling.
I read the article by GTO with much interest. I agree with him totally, the steps set out by him are tried, tested and proven.

Publicity should be carefully worded and handled. It can come in very useful in court, particularly if you tell the court that you have tried every other method of getting relief and you show them the letters, articles etc.

Yes, it is true tht large companies have legal departments. What is not known is that the legal departments primary job is to reduce legal and litigation costs (most work on strict budgets). If the legal department thinks they have a poor case they often advise the co. to settle the case. It is also useful to remember that legal fees for companies can be very high.

If you have to engage a lawyer, look for one who is honest, diligent and meticulous. Please stay away from the shady ones - a.k.a. the nudge-nudge wink-wink types, i.e. the ones who are touted to be the 'judge's friend/cousin/brother-in-law'. These guys are very often totally incompetent and will make a mess of the case. His lack of ethics should be warning enough.

Cheers and hope no one has to resort to the advice on this thread.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:03   #23
BHPian

GTO, Thanks. Feel reassured.

Samir,
The shudder is definitely from the front door. I can't say for sure whether passenger side or driver side.

Another point, while taking the car, I had insisted that the manufacturing month shouldn't be prior to October (I bought the car in Dec). But what I finally got was one manufactured in June. Is that a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
1. When the door is open, the cabin light is supposed to switch on automatically. This happens for all doors except for one of the rear doors - Switch problem? Cant be anything too complicated plus it doesnt affect your actual driving experience
2. The AC vent to the right of the steering wheel does not throw air at all - Get it checked by a A/C Mechanic, probably just a blocked pipe.
3. When I leave the steering wheel and drive, the car swerves to the left. I mentioned this during my first service also, but the problem remains - Wheel Aligment, easy enought o get checked.
4. One of the rear doors has to be banged to shut properly - Get the locks checked, cleaned and aligned.
5. There is always some shuddering sound or some vibration when I drive. It is as if some door isn't closed properly. I check and re-check but the sound remains - Where is this shudder from any idea?
6. When 4 people sit in the car, the pick up goes really low. Even small inclines demand third gear and sometimes second gear.
Old 25th October 2009, 22:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
The shudder is definitely from the front door. I can't say for sure whether passenger side or driver side.
Don't worry, this is a trivial issue. Door panels and plastic are held togather by Plastic screws. Its common for them to fall off.

Would be a 30 mins job for A.S.S. to locate that and fix it.
Old 26th October 2009, 10:49   #25
BHPian

GTO,

Thank you for a clear and concise piece on what is to be done.
After reading some of the horror stories of those unlucky to be saddled with lemons, in this forum, one tends to become wary.

Consumer awareness, particularly in the automotive sector is very low in our country (possibly due to socio-economic causes) and most of us who go to purchase a vehicle aren't very logical in their approach in assessing and buying a vehicle. The dealers are no help either as their salesmen provide superficial information on 'features' rather than the engineering, driveability, comfort and safety aspects, based on one's 'needs' rather than 'desires'. The one practical input that they invariably offer is that on fuel consumption because that is important above all else for all Indians.

Is it fine if I share your piece with some of my friends who might not be Team bhp members?

Regards
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:14   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Consumer awareness, particularly in the automotive sector is very low in our country (possibly due to socio-economic causes)
Even when the awareness is there, the ultra-long turnaround time in judgements (including appeals) is enough to put most people off fighting for their rights.

Quote:
Is it fine if I share your piece with some of my friends who might not be Team bhp members?

Regards
Of course yes, please do. May I request a link back to this thread as credit? Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

GTO

Nice Thread opened and you see many members are already having some problem with their cars. Looks like more to come.

Yes indeed - timely thread !

Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 17:06   #28

Re: ARTICLE: What to do if you are stuck with a lemon (Defective car)

Hi All, This is Jo here. I m new to this forum. First of all great post. The reason why I checked out this thread is below.
I got delivery of my New Honda city 3 days ago on the 13th july (the infamous day) reached home quite late due to the inevitable traffic jams. Overnight it rained heavily. Next morning when i opened the car door to my utter surprise found the front passenger seat floor flooded with 4" water. I called up the dealer, said he will send somebody to pick up the car and they will check it out.Meanwhile the i emptied the water and tried to find the cause.On lifting the carpet found some dampness on the upper end below the dash.I think the water ingress might be from the windshield.
Yesterday the car was picked up and and i have been given an assurance that i will be getting the car back today i.e 16th saturday evening with all rectifications. So its now "wait n watch"
Also noticed a couple of other things in the car like too much outside noise in the cabin and when doing a hard left felt the steering shudder.
Would like to get your expert opinion on the above. Also would like to know if anyone else had experienced the same.
rgds
Jo
Old 15th November 2011, 18:46   #29
BHPian

hi MODS, i don't know if there is any thread that refers to used cars that turn out to be a lemon. in such an event how do we go about it. i have a car and though everybody says that it is a lemon , i feel it has the potential of getting a good restoration and turn into a head turner . please do re-direct me to the relevant thread or i can post details in a thread following your approval. awaiting your post. thanks.
Old 15th November 2011, 23:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally View Post
hi MODS, i don't know if there is any thread that refers to used cars that turn out to be a lemon. in such an event how do we go about it. i have a car and though everybody says that it is a lemon , i feel it has the potential of getting a good restoration and turn into a head turner . please do re-direct me to the relevant thread or i can post details in a thread following your approval. awaiting your post. thanks.
smally - please provide some more information to our members on what car you are referring to and why do you feel that is a lemon. There are people in our forum who have restored battered jeeps, beetles and even a VW Microbus so nothing is impossible. kindly share more info so that we can point you to the right thread / make relavent suggestions.

Most Viewed