Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 19:25   #61
BHPian

To share my experience on second hand cars...i own a 2005 Optra 1.6 (my 3rd car) which i had bought for 7lacs and spend some 40k on accesories(System+Wheels) intially..I generally keep my car for an avg of 3 years..While people say GM cars do not have resale i have struck a deal for 4.4 lacs after driving it for 2.10 years and surprisingly Citibank who is financing the second sale has valuated the cars at 5.3L and financed 4.1L for the car..after 3 years if i can sell my car for 60% i dont think this is a bad deal..Dont know if a Honda or Toyota would sell for any diff amount(with no offence to Japanese Car lovers). I hope this changes the mindset of people for GM cars as well.
Old 26th February 2008, 15:30   #62
BANNED

Is the resale value of Swift LDi poor when compared to VDi ?

I'm seeing lots of LDis on road nowadays !
Old 26th February 2008, 16:53   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Hey I too have a Ldi , Even though i dont plan to sell it ( first car from own money) but still interested in the resale value !!
Old 26th February 2008, 16:59   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Number of cars on the road is directly proportional to the resale value. If there are a lot of LDIs, then the resale will be higher.
Old 16th August 2008, 21:40   #65
BHPian

Does accessories carry no resale value?

Hello all,

I am trying to sell my car which has accessories like alloys, wider tyres, a good ICE etc. But no one seems to value this in resale market, and the car is valued similar to a car without any of these. Is this always the case? How can you convince someone to pay for these when you sell your car?

Nirmal
Old 16th August 2008, 22:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
How can you convince someone to pay for these when you sell your car?
Except with extreme luck, you will not find anyone willing to pay for those 'value additions'.
Either find a buyer in your own circle of friends or remove the accessories before selling the car!
Old 16th August 2008, 23:16   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Except with extreme luck, you will not find anyone willing to pay for those 'value additions'.
Either find a buyer in your own circle of friends or remove the accessories before selling the car!
These may be valuable to us but when the car is sold its back to ground zero. Accessories are frowned upon by some categories of buyers who do not understand anything about these and talk about street parking out in the sun and rain where these accessories may get filched.one may be lucky if the accessories are paid for even to some extent by the new buyer.
Old 17th August 2008, 09:07   #68
BHPian

3 categories of buyers

Trying to sell my car for the last 1 month, I realised that there are three categories of buyers

1. The ones who doesn't understand accessories and simply wants a car to move from A to B
2. The ones who understands accessories, but knows that they have no resale, and hence try to make a quick deal to grab them by not paying for them
3. The ones who understands accessories and pays for them.

The third one above seems fictitious and never turned up until now

Nirmal
Old 17th August 2008, 12:02   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

I am trying to sell my car which has accessories like alloys, wider tyres, a good ICE etc. But no one seems to value this in resale market, and the car is valued similar to a car without any of these. Is this always the case? How can you convince someone to pay for these when you sell your car?

Nirmal
when you sell it you can always convince them !! Maruti True value and such eg actually put a special mention and quote things you will get some value for that. It shouldn't be problem.
Old 19th August 2008, 09:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

try and sell to friends
or use our TBHP classified section- atleast here you will be reasonably sure of getting a decent, genuine as well as knowledgeable buyer who will appreciate what you've done for your car.
but dont expect stacks of value add for the accessories because largely (in my experience atleast) accessories are a very personal set of choices.
Old 19th August 2008, 18:33   #71
evo
BHPian

The funniest was when I tried to sell my Zen Carbon, people asked questions like "Two Door? Baaki do darwaze ko kya hua?"

I finally didnt sell, and it still gives me happy times!
Old 11th April 2009, 12:28   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
The funniest was when I tried to sell my Zen Carbon, people asked questions like "Two Door? Baaki do darwaze ko kya hua?"

I finally didnt sell, and it still gives me happy times!

I saw the Carbon in Park street a few days back.. Good one .
Old 9th May 2009, 15:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Nirmal
Just remove all the accessories and after finalising the price ask the guy if he's interested.
Old 9th May 2009, 19:31   #74
BHPian

Even the mighty Honda discounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Honda never discounts, restricts supply to actual orders and limits stock carefully. This reflects in strong resale values.

Mostly true, but they did discount City ZX Exi down to 7.25L onroad in Mumbai to clear stocks- that too the 10th anniversary loaded edition with Gxi features like alloy wheels and factory music system. The new Jazz hatchback will probably be as much or even more! Saw immediate impact in the used car market for City ZX models.
Old 9th May 2009, 19:34   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
So why do we buy new? - Status, virginal bliss, the smell of a new car, tax reasons…and in some cases - the secondhand car is either overpriced, unavailable or has dodgy credentials.
There's one more factor: WAF or Wife Acceptance Factor! Though it can usually be traced back to status.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks