Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2020, 20:09   #61
BHPian

Re: Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money

I have the same idea in my mind. We have a 2008 Alto, which I don't want to let go. My father doesn't want to drive anything different.
Even I like to drive it in the City, for its size, and easy drive.

My plan is:
- To get a turbocharger (After reading this thread, will an Engine remapping be fine?)
- Upgrade wheels and tyres (After reading the thread, upgrading springs too)
- Change seat cover to pseude leather. (The same that we have in our Polo)
- Fit an ICE. We had nothing when we first bought it. It still remains without one
- Fit external rally headlamps
- Repaint, remove all dents. (There are atleast 7 panels that need attention)

Had a few questions regarding the same:
- The car being 12 years old, is it worth upgrading it? (Any other car in my garage, and the spae will get tight for our two cars, two two wheelers, and now 3 cycles)
- Any other car, my father will find it really difficult to guage the distance, and width)
- Does altering engine void the accident insurance? Will an engine remap be fine?
- Can I add some leather to doorpads to make the interiors a little more plush? Even the dashboard, if I can.
- Also, can I change my car from Wine red to Just red? Does it need updating on the RC?
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 22:25   #62
BHPian

Re: Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money

Will introducing cold air intakes have any effect on the performance? My i10 seems to be dead below 2k RPM but is running away like a horse after crossing 2000 RPM. But I'm sure it lacks a few extra Nm to make it a delight. Should CAI be a part of my car's mid-life crisis resolution?
Old 31st May 2020, 22:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Will introducing cold air intakes have any effect on the performance? My i10 seems to be dead below 2k RPM but is running away like a horse after crossing 2000 RPM. But I'm sure it lacks a few extra Nm to make it a delight. Should CAI be a part of my car's mid-life crisis resolution?

You can start with a replacement filter, does not make too much of a difference in terms of HP, but drivability should improve
The CAI will give you a good growl if you decide to go ahead with it and it will definitely keep things exciting
Do keep us posted
Old 1st June 2020, 10:58   #64
BHPian

Hey bangalore BHPians,

I would love to get some inputs on good FNGs for servicing my VW jetta. I have been servicing the Jetta at VW bangalore for the last 4 years and dont have too many complaints.
However, this thread has woken the itch to get the car back to the best shape possible.
Trend Automobiles has been the recommended shop for dents and body repairs.
Any recommendations for detailing and servicing close to the Central Bangalore area would be appreciated.
kvothe_rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 12:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshith View Post
Planning an ICE upgrade and maybe if available a suspension upgrade too.
Waggy is always special and useful car. Especially the F10D. One suggestion from my end will be to do a vinyl flooring. Will cost you ~2K but it is worth.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 17:46   #66

Whoa! What an amazing thread.

I do drive a 2013 White WagonR Stingray (2014 registered) which has done only 40K kms in the last 6 years. During this lock down, I got an itch to exchange the tall boy for an used vehicle mainly due to its dull/boring engine, otherwise my family and I were very comfortable with the tall boy.

Somehow, made up my mind to retain the car by doing some changes to it. I had started with Maroon color seat covers, Steering wheel cover, Blaupaunkt HK650 Audio with Blaupaunkt speakers, Floor mats and sun film.

Also, I have ordered an HPI performance filter though there may be very minimal improvement on performance or may not be even. Will post the picture/video of the filter and the IP soon.

Next upgrade plans are a got set of alloys & tyres and probably an FFE based on Vitamin 'M' availability

Seat pics :https://www.instagram.com/p/CAh5SsHh...=1cwqgx0h71bn5
(Sorry I have not clicked pics in my mobile yet, these pics are from the place where I got my seat covers fixed)
deepakpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 18:11   #67
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvothe_rules View Post
Hey bangalore BHPians,

I would love to get some inputs on good FNGs for servicing my VW jetta. I have been servicing the Jetta at VW bangalore for the last 4 years.
Try CarSmith Motors near Agara Lake in HSR. Vishwas the owner is good at his work and knowledgeable too.

My friend had recommended him to me. He gets his Beemer serviced there. So I ve been going to him ever since November 2019 which was when I bought my used Cooper.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 01:22   #68
BHPian

I'd like to add windshield to the list of parts to be replaced if one is planning to keep the car for longer. Over a period of time the windshield will pickup scratches which may not be noticeable easily but will show up during night drives. Glare from oncoming vehicles can make the drive unpleasant as well as can be very risky.
Biker Ram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 14:55   #69
BHPian

My TUV is 3 years old and being a black color, it is showing it's age quickly. Me being mild OCD person, I used to clean it every day with damp microfiber cloth and wash it every Sunday like clockwork. This resulted in swirl marks all over the vehicle and it lost it's shine. I was thinking of getting detailing done from last 1 year, but never had time to get it done.

Finally 3M opened in my hometown few months back and I am also at my hometown due to lockdown 5.0. I went for rodent treatment first which costed me 1,150/- bucks at 3M. Enquired about detailing costs. It came to 8,500/- bucks (which I felt a lot) as TUV is categorised as a "Large" vehicle. The manager insisted on a free demo, so they detailed the rear fender of my vehicle which had a lot of swirl marks and other scratches. I was happy with the outcome, no more swirl marks and scratches were less visible but not completely gone.

Negotiations started and they had thrown in UV protection for free (which costed 1,178/-), and can avail UV protection after 2-3 months. Detailing work started as I am writing this post. Also attached the costs for 3M services here.

They offered yearly package of 20k which included 20% off on labor charges for an year, but rejected it.

Next planning to get below

• New tires (Maybe A/T tires)
  • Sub woofer cum amplifier (Blaupunkt quotation was 16k)
  • Leather wrap on steering (Still hunting)
  • Upgrade headlights (100/135 philips cut out wire)
  • New floor mats
Attached Thumbnails
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_20200604_112222.jpg  

Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-img_20200603_122154.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 08:24   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvothe_rules View Post
Hey bangalore BHPians,

Any recommendations for detailing and servicing close to the Central Bangalore area would be appreciated.
Krithi Car care is best and is run by a D-bhpian. I've had my car detailed there and it kept the shine for very long. Also I was provided with some useful tips to keep the car looking new for years. You can try the below link.
https://www.krithicarcare.com/products
kptraveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 20:28   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This here is my 2004 Wagon R.
Are you sure ? the car and the number plate both look 2007ish to me.
I have an Indica of the same vintage which is a June 2007
Your car's midlife crisis - How to rejuvenate your existing car and save a lot of money-27907985_2046887121993596_343820002498632874_o-1.jpg

Plenty of details here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4327880

Highlights

Overhauled Turbo
Overhauled Alternator
Overhauled Gearbox
Clutch Change
New bumper to replace cracked old one
Old Switch gear replaced with brand new ones
Interior upholstery redone
Windshield Replaced
Front Headlights replaced (were faded/hazed) + upgraded headlights
Aux Driving lamps (hella)
All Belts and fluids replaced
A lot of Rubber parts replaced (Door seals, wipers, seals)

Apart from the hella's, it was mostly a restoration. Only thing pending is the suspension - which i wanted to do after the long drive from chennai to tvm - and after I go back to India. It feels fresh enough to make me want to drive it despite driving all the other newer cars in the family

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th August 2020 at 20:34.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 20:40   #72
BANNED

Quote:
This here is my 2004 Wagon R.
Wasn't this model launched in 2006-ish period?

We had the same model in VXi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Are you sure ? the car and the number plate both look 2007ish to me.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 01:27   #73
BHPian

Hi Fellow BHPians,
I drive a 2016 Baleno Zeta Petrol and the itch to replace it has grown ever since the new City has launched. But my Itch Guard ( Read as Wife ) is completely against any unnecessary expenditure at this point of time( Rightly So, Wives are always Right).
I would love to see the following changes in my car and would love to get recommendations from fellow BHPians here.
1. Suspension - Ride quality is the biggest grouse I have. Bangalore is Filled with potholes and Baleno makes sure I realise it.. Would love to have a plusher comfortable ride. How to go about it and where in Bangalore?
2. Had read About fellow BHPian Dr.Naren ( if I recall Correctly) going for some Remaps. would love to have something similar. Any reliable places in Bangalore to get it done? And What to get Done.
3. The Windshield has multiple Microscopic Scratches, Makes oncoming lights ( Specially the two wheeler LED) a night mare. Any way to reduce them sans replacement.
4. A better ICE and Speaker system Woh out breaking the bank.
Would love to hear from you all
Take care Be Safe
navinkamath4657 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 02:10   #74
BHPian

Quote:
This here is my 2004 Wagon R
Is it re registered from a different state? KL 01 AQ was not the running series in 2004

And nice mods to the car.

Another inexpensive tip to spruce up the interiors... Changing the floor mat. Artificial plastic grass mat aka Lawn mat feel nice for bare feet in the rear and passenger seats . The driver will have to do with the plane jane rubber mat as there is a slight risk of these mats getting tangled with ABC pedals

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 15th August 2020 at 02:11. Reason: Spelling error
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:08   #75
BHPian

I have a 3.5 year old Honda CR-V 2.4 AT. Am planning to spruce up things a bit both mechanically and cosmetically. Here is my wishlist
1. Change the alloys and tyres. The stock rims look too boring and the Stock Michelin’s make too much noise at speed. 2. Try and improve the suspension to soften the low speed ride and reduce roll at high speeds 3. An engine Remap if possible for better acceleration. 4. Genuine leather Stanley seat covers in dark brown tan. 5. Change the hu to a modern unit and upgrade the speakers.
Any suggestions where in Mumbai I can go for the mechanical upgrades and for the ice upgrade ?

Most Viewed