Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2008, 15:19   #16
BHPian

Quite sensitive Rushabh. Why do i get the inclinging that it has something to do with the Mumbai rains
Old 5th July 2008, 16:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

1)
GTO:
Nice information and tips. They are really helpful.

I will add a few more.
@mods: If found wrong, edit/delete post.

2)
About tyres:
If new set of tyres are installed, then, mostly they wont provide the best grip for around the first 150 kms. New tyres will take time for their running in. After the initial period of around 150 kms is over, they will be nice.

3)
One can use the starter motor as source of energy i.e. use starter motor as engine to propel the car ahead. However this is for the last minute S.O.S. moments and should be used only when in extreme emergency. This is generally not recomeneded, but only for emergency situations.
aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2008, 18:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

Word of caution: while using starter to move, ie if you suspect water inside intake, its absolute NO NO. Or you will land up with a BIG engine repair bill.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2008, 17:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Quite sensitive Rushabh. Why do i get the inclinging that it has something to do with the Mumbai rains
It's all of south and east india where the monsoon stays maximum amount of time.
Not only Mumbai but even Bengaluru we had these problems few years back.

Ok if you do get stuck in a situation where things are out of control never trust the electronics of your vehicle especially things like auto locks and widows. I mentioned this because its easy to forget about it.

I know it sucks to be stuck in flood waters but its best to just get to safety as soon as possible.

@GTO: The tobaco trick is something i am waiting to try out now, if only i get to see enough rains.

That is some very useful information you have compiled, much appreciated cheers:
Old 7th July 2008, 01:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent resource!! If I may add, when visibility is low due to fog or rains, I would identify a sensible driver (if it a long drive, you would have noticed a few vehicles, and..!) and tail one of them at a safe distance (meaning, a distance safe enough for me to stop without hitting him / her!), following the tail lights. Ofcourse factors like someone crossing in the middle, sensless overtakers who'd butt in between are there to handle...
Old 21st July 2008, 10:52   #21
BHPian

Sorry if it was discussed before. During rainy times in evening, when I take my car out, I'm noticing kind of mist in glasses from inside.

I thought temperature inside is colder than outside and hence increased room temperature (thanks to auto climate control in SX4) - but for sometime, no improvement. I tried decreasing temperature too, no luck.

Finally, I had to roll down windows to let some air come in, only then it works out.

What is right way?
Old 21st July 2008, 11:35   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sathya,

The key is to maintain a temperature balance between the outside and the inside. Simplest way to achieve this is by rolling down the windows, even if a little bit. Have a look at post 4 of this article.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2008, 12:23   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
...I'm noticing kind of mist in glasses from inside....

What is right way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Keep the air-con on fresh air / ventilation mode.
Set your AC to the following setting. It will blow out cool air from those long vents on your dashboard right at the base of your windshield and clear the condensation very fast.

I dont think it makes a difference if your AC button is on or not (as well as what your temp is set at?) since it turns it on regardless.

Safe Driving in the Rains-mist_setting.jpg

Also, for the benefit of all - this is what the rear-demister button looks like. It demists the rear glass by heating up small wires in the glass.

Safe Driving in the Rains-demister_btn.jpg

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2008, 21:27   #24
BHPian

Great input guys, lemme try them and get back with feedback/questions.
Old 20th August 2008, 18:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Switch on your low beam headlights in the rains, whether night or day. Not only can it potentially improve your vision, headlamps will also let others see you better. Avoid using high beam in the rains as it can reflect light as well as blind oncoming traffic.
Most drivers in Bangalore don't know or don't follow this. Some fools drive only with High beams.

There are some idiots who dont dim his headlight even if the other guy flash his hedlight 10 times.
arunnn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2008, 18:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnn View Post
Most drivers in Bangalore don't know or don't follow this. Some fools drive only with High beams.

There are some idiots who dont dim his headlight even if the other guy flash his hedlight 10 times.
the same thing is seen in pune too,and i guess this is because those idiots don't know what is high beam low beam and when they are to be used.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:32   #27
BHPian

Great article, GTO.

Unfortunately I looked this up only after I had a difficult night trip in the rains. It was raining only lightly, the AC was on, and the wiper was running at medium speed. With every wipe, there appeared frosty wipe patterns on the windscreen that wouldn't go off! I couldn't see a thing against the headlights of approaching vehicles because of all the scattered light. I stopped the car a few times and rubbed the windscreen with cloth. Still it wouldn't go off, and would worsen or alter with each wipe. It was not the typical fogging effect, but more like crystalline frost marks following the wipe pattern (here's the difference: You can't write on it with your finger unlike the regular fog on glass. It remains like a stain).

Finally I figured out the solution. I put the aircon on heat mode and directed the hot air to the windscreen (from the vents below the windscreen). The windscreen cleared up pretty quick.
pjay_in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:36   #28
Team-BHP Support

If there is even a slight proability that its going to rain then empty your bladder before you leave.

With the kind of traffic snarls that set in you may be stuck for quite some time.

You cannot get out because its wet and you cannot remain seated because you might still get wet.
bblost is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If there is even a slight proability that its going to rain then empty your bladder before you leave.
Funny but quite practical!
Old 27th August 2008, 10:03   #30
BHPian

Thanks a lot for this valuable info GTO.

Recently had been to Udupi in my Swift and started raining. Though it was a slight drizzle, the windscreen started fogging from the outside. The fogging started from the lower center of the windscreen and slowly started to move up till the halfway mark. As pjay_in mentioned "It was not the typical fogging effect, but more like crystalline frost marks following the wipe pattern (here's the difference: You can't write on it with your finger unlike the regular fog on glass. It remains like a stain)." I had recently got the baldes for the wipers replaced. Driving in the night on the NH was a nightmare at that point of time with the opposite traffic with blasting high beams. I though the fogging was due to dust/oil sticking to the windscreen. I stopped and washed the wiper blade and windscreen with liquid soap. Started driving and fogging started. This happened even after I had the driver side glass lowered a little.... Finnaly reached the destination, but had to be really carefull and the experience was quite scary... A similar incident occured almost a year back when I was passing through Jog Falls Ghat section and it was a similar kind of rain..

Any thoughts on this??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks