Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:45   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
good investment that you would never regret.
I had same thought so went for that but regretting my investment now.

Does anyone know any place/person in Pune who possibly can help rectify the problem?
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:46   #287
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Kindly stick to the topic. This is not the thread to troubleshoot leaking tubeless tyres on.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:56   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Car is probably the only form of transport that is replaced by its owner after 5 years. Aircrafts and ships are used for 30 years before the owner decides to scrap them. Train engines & battle tanks are run for 20 years while trucks and buses run merrily for 15 - 20 years.
Commercial or organized (read govt, military etc) transport would always be used to the hilt before being exchanged because you are supposed to extract the max value for your money before dumping a thing. Also, the norms of safe standards (translating to build quality and longevity) for aircraft and ship or trains and battle tanks are always way higher than for normal usage oriented transport because of inherent dangers of operations (in inhospitable elements/conditions at max performance parameters) and hence the life expectancy is much higher. For commercial usage, it's simply the ROI which would force you to sit in rattling and squeaking buses. Heck, people/govts buy 2 decade old ships and aeroplanes to save money. All about affordability methinks.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:49   #289
Senior - BHPian

my car is just 3 years/ old. I've just finished off my EMI's. I thought it would be a trouble free future, but the work just keeps on coming. First it was a FIP overhaul, suspension overhaul, then a sudden clutch failure. I had not planned on all these happening. Given the age/running of the car, this is a bit unexpected. The car has been otherwise fault free so far. My friends tell me that I should sell the car, and that I am spending way too much for an indica, which is supposed to be a cheap to maintain vehicle.
I'm being optimistic thinking that this is probably the last of the repairs that it will need. I'm still not too sure. Based on my future plans, I certainly cannot buy a new car. Even ownership might be too much, if these expenses keep up.

My question is, Is it worth keeping my car at all ?
Old 10th March 2010, 20:02   #290
Senior - BHPian

Green if you decide to change then do you know what will you change to? Once that is known, you need to compare the expected expenditure on current car with the total outflow of money for a new car (New car == Resale from current + more money).

Another way could be to replace this car with a used car with minimum expense from your pocket.
Old 10th March 2010, 21:07   #291
Senior - BHPian

A car may not be needed in the future ( nobody else in the family drives) , and all my current options end up with me relocating, where a bike should be enough. Should I just leave the car at home, where dad might occasionally use it with a driver, or sell it off while its still under warranty?

Plus there is the emotional attatchment
Old 10th March 2010, 21:16   #292
Senior - BHPian

If it would get used then keep it.

IIRC the warranty doesn't get transferred to the 2nd owner, could someone confirm this?
Old 11th March 2010, 14:32   #293
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my car is just 3 years/ old. I've just finished off my EMI's. I thought it would be a trouble free future, but the work just keeps on coming. First it was a FIP overhaul, suspension overhaul, then a sudden clutch failure. I had not planned on all these happening.
As an exception, I might just advice you to sell it off right now. Reason : You bought the wrong car for a petrolhead. That's why I insist, you buy the right car to start with and you will retain it longer. An Indica is hardly the daily driver for a petrolhead. On the other hand, if you'd bought a Swift or Punto diesel, I'm sure we would be talking about a tuning box for her at this stage

Second, it seems to be giving you some issue or the other (taking into consideration your comments in other threads). I say, sell it while you still get some $$$ for it.
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:59   #294

I'm in a similar dilemma.

I own an Alto Lxi Dec 2002 model, but done only 29,000 KMs (since I was out of India most of the time). This car is in perfect condition and gives 22KMPL, in city traffic. If I would ask their preference for an upgrade, everyone in the family (7 adults + 3 kids)suggest to keep the car or go in for a MPV (Scorpio / Innova).

My Brother had a Scorpio earlier (non CRDe) and had big time troubles after 3rd year . So I'm not a big fan of BIG diesel cars. I proposed the family to buy one Palio MJD / Swift or DZire LDI and one Maruti Eeco.

Can someone suggest, what would be a better option, if I do not want to upgrade / incur major expenses for next 8-10 years?
Old 1st April 2010, 18:31   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
IIRC the warranty doesn't get transferred to the 2nd owner, could someone confirm this?
Warranty is on the Car and so logically it should be transferred to the second owner.

Atleast Maruti Warranty can be claimed by the Second owner. Even the Extended Warranty is transferable.
My 2007 SX4 has Warranty upto 2011. And though I am the second owner I am Still covered by the warranty. There is a registration form in the Warranty Booklet that needs to be updated.
Old 1st April 2010, 19:31   #296
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information, I was told by someone that warranty doesn't get transferred. I stand corrected
Old 11th April 2010, 07:08   #297
Senior - BHPian

I sent the link of this thread to my brother who drives a 6 year old Chevy Optra which he was thinking of upgrading /replacing with a premium sedan (read Used- Civic, Sonata, or something similar in the budget 7-9 lacs)

After reading this thread we've decided to keep the optra for as long as it takes and anyways buy a used sedan or any vehicle in 7-9 lacs in the next 3-4 years (year 2012-2013).
Decided to keep the Optra for reasons as
  • We are not going to get anything for it as if I sell it today, I won't even get decent enough money to buy a new entry level Tata Nano
  • The vehicle has hardly been used in 6 years of ownership (only80k kms on the ODO)
  • Is a good vehicle to be chauffeured in and also for occasional self drives. I love the refinement of the Chevu especially when I compare it to my Tata Safari
  • Pimped up the vehicle with new tires (michelin's), Alloys wheel, Now thinking of good quality leather seats and a good paint job maybe a 2 tone combination of Black with dark grey.The issue is cant find a decent enough workshop who wants to paint the vehicle for a decent enough price in a decent quality
  • As we live in a joint family and my son's started school in April to go to school which is 25 kms far from my house and there's no bus service, we've started to use the Optra for dropping him to school and picking him up in the afternoon. Further this adds 100 kms daily to the ODO in excess to how much we normally drive this vehicle, we've fitted it with RTO aprooved CNG kit. As now the monthly running will be in excess of 3200 kms. So I guess the CNG makes sense.
Thanks to GTO for this great article and to all Bhpians to giving their inputs!!!
cheers

Last edited by harjeev : 11th April 2010 at 07:13.
Old 16th April 2010, 23:40   #298
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO >> I own only one car. Safari EX 4x4. Purchased in March 08 for 10,70000/- onroad.
DO you reckon it will be wise to sell it after 3 years and but 2 vehicles instead of one(a gypsy for tripping & a small car for the city) or buy another suv in the same price bracket. Or do I end up saving a packet if I keep the Safari for a total 5years +.

Im averaging approx 20-25k kms per year.
Are there any other variables I should consider?
Old 17th April 2010, 23:03   #299
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Jay,

The Safari is a depreciation disaster; it doesn't enjoy particular strong residuals. Your Safari's now entering its 3rd year and thus, the rate of depreciation will be much slower (for the next 3 - 4 years) than the chunk she has suffered already. I would highly recommend you to hold on to her for another couple of years at the least.

You say you drive 20 - 25K a year...is it safe to presume that you are frequently out on the highway? If so, the Safari is very well-suited to that role (torque, space, ride quality, robust suspension).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Are there any other variables I should consider?
Maybe think of lateral upgrading when you had enough of the Safari? Say a used Fortuner or Captiva in 2014 / 2015?
Old 21st April 2010, 16:07   #300
BHPian

Good math..
I will never let my 96 model zen vanish away..
Never calculated this way..

Most Viewed