Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 11:05   #421
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Bharat Sarkar has a rule. A car can be changed after 5 years or 50,000km. For once I see some sense. After about five years age does catch up with the vehicle, and there are minor niggles. I must say I found this more with Maruti that Hyundai.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:21   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Bharat Sarkar has a rule. A car can be changed after 5 years or 50,000km. For once I see some sense. After about five years age does catch up with the vehicle, and there are minor niggles. I must say I found this more with Maruti that Hyundai.
I think this applied to the ambassadors and fiats of the 70s and 80s, modern cars can hold itself better?

I hope to hold my Civic-AT for ten years/2 lakh kms, but If it starts getting unreliable over long drives, I might have to dump it earlier.
Old 5th March 2012, 13:02   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A relative of mine has a Hyundai Santro (2002 model, I believe). It has run 89k kilometers and still runs just fine. It still has the same great low-end torque and no niggles whatsoever that I could detect. They so desperately want to buy a new car but the damn thing is showing no signs of going kaput anytime soon.

My 2004 Maruti Alto has done more than 60k kilometers and still runs just fine. No niggles whatsoever. The only thing I did to my car was change of tyres.

I too was keen on buying a new car but could not come up with any plausible reason for dumping my Alto. It sure feels nice to have a new ride but it's heavy on the wallet, especially if you have to take out a loan. I am currently living an EMI-free life and plan to be that way for a long long time (learnt my lesson)
Old 9th March 2012, 12:14   #424
BHPian

Re: Should I sell my Tata Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

So I gave the Safari for a clutch overhaul today and also for sorting out any transmission related issues. The fact that the clutch lasted 112000 kms should instill confidence.

I should atleast grow at the rate of Indian economy. So if i can afford a Safari today, I could afford a XUV in 2 years (best, if a Fortuner).
Rrsteer, Good to hear that you are going on and keeping the Safari for quite sometime to come. I would say that this is a wise decision.

Also all the very best for your growth and an opportunity to buy Fortuner.

Wish you the best and do keep us updated on the developments.
Old 11th March 2012, 00:16   #425
Senior - BHPian

Zen Vxi 2002, Keep it or sell it ??

Hello All,

I am in a dilemma whether to keep my Zen or to sell. The car was initially used by me until a couple of years back I gave it to my mother while I bought a 2008 Alto Lxi. The car has been driven around 60k kilometers and has a monthly run of around 500 kms, driven by different drivers every time since.

The main reasons I am thinking of letting it go are as follows:

1. The body has rusted in a few places, so got an estimate of around 10-12k from the local garage (which is recommended by a trusted MASS senior technician).

2. The engine though extremely peppy, silent like new and a pleasure to drive every time, has a light tick-tick noise between a certain rpm range (80-90 kmph in 5th gear or 60-70 in 4th gear) beyond which it stops. Had the timing checked but it didn't solve the issue. I am scared it maybe the initial symptoms to a big engine issue.

3. Other expenses like seat covers, window linings, carpet requires to be replaced. Also AC gas is not readily available.

4. My mother has suddenly decided to learn driving at the age of 58, so don't want her to be stuck in the middle of the road though the car has never ever let us down (touch wood).

So do you guys think I should spend the 20-25k and keep the car for 4-5 yrs more or let go of it? The other option is sell this car and buying a 2004 - 2007 Esteem or Baleno for myself, giving the Alto (in perfect condition) to her and not worry for the next 4-5 yrs at least . Am paying EMI for the Alto so don't want to burden myself with 2 EMIs.

Please advice.
Old 11th March 2012, 00:30   #426
BHPian

Re: Zen Vxi 2002, Keep it or sell it ??

As you mentioned, other than the mechanicals, there's also some amount of rusting, I would suggest letting go the zen and get a pre-worshiped car.

If I may ask, how much amount you planning to spend for the Esteem/Baleno? Asking this because even you can also think of an Accent in a similar price range.
Old 11th March 2012, 00:47   #427
BHPian

I suggest you sell it. You would start facing issues regarding availability of spares down the line. I waited nearly a month to get a replacement power window motor for my 2005 Zen. Adding to that the woes of rust would only increase.
Old 11th March 2012, 00:48   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
If I may ask, how much amount you planning to spend for the Esteem/Baleno? Asking this because even you can also think of an Accent in a similar price range.
Am looking at spending around 1.5L max. I saw 2 Esteem Vxi 2004 models, one for 1.3L and the other for 1.4L. That's the asking price, haven't negotiated yet. Also saw a Baleno Vxi 2005 for 1.4L. You are right about Accents being available around that price however I laze around with my car quite a bit. Though my office is just 4kms from home, I definitely clock more than 1500 kms a month. Did 22k kms on my Alto in 1 year. Am looking at a little more fuel efficient engine though I am skeptical if the Baleno would be any better than the Accent.
Old 11th March 2012, 01:03   #429
BHPian

Zen repair will cost less, buying another second hand car, not a good idea IMHO. As you never know how the car has been handled by the owner. Even if you have to do Engine overhaul e.g after about 10k or 20 k. At Maruti Spare part shop you can get Half engine i.e the engine will be company provided at very less cost e.g Maruti 800 Bharat II engine cost around 12k MRP. They will replace the engine with orginal Engine number mark on it.
LongDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 01:35   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hello All,

I am in a dilemma whether to keep my Zen or to sell. The car was initially used by me until a couple of years back I gave it to my mother while I bought a 2008 Alto Lxi. The car has been driven around 60k kilometers and has a monthly run of around 500 kms, driven by different drivers every time since.

The main reasons I am thinking of letting it go are as follows:

1. The body has rusted in a few places, so got an estimate of around 10-12k from the local garage (which is recommended by a trusted MASS senior technician).

2. I am scared it maybe the initial symptoms to a big engine issue.

3. Other expenses like seat covers, window linings, carpet requires to be replaced. Also AC gas is not readily available.

4. My mother has suddenly decided to learn driving at the age of 58, so don't want her to be stuck in the middle of the road though the car has never ever let us down (touch wood).

My 2001 zen still doesnt show any signs of rusting . So,you can safely assume that the rusting seen on your car could have been prevented if you had been more careful.

60 k kms ! and you are worried about engine issues My car has done around 2L kms and it still doesnt show any signs of engine problems . I stick to the 5K/10K service intervals and it has never let me down anytime .

And ,if you can have these problems in a cheap Zen ,you will have bigger problems in newer cars .

My advice: Spend whatever is needed on repairs .Stick to service intervals ,do the part replacements at manufacturer specified intervals . This car will never let you down .
No point in spending more on another car which will serve the same way as this car where all you might need to spend is 30 K INR (assuming other servicing requirements at 60 K kms )
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 07:34   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has been driven around 60k kilometers and has a monthly run of around 500 kms, driven by different drivers every time since.
Do sell if you do not need the car, and there is no one to drive it regularly (a few times a week). Otherwise if there are folks at home who would need a car and you are thinking of selling the Zen and buying something else then its worthwhile (financially) to get this repaired at a good repair shop and then use it.

We recently sold our Zen which was 1996 model, had done 78K on the odometer only because it was lying in Jabalpur, with no one to use it or drive it. If someone was there at my hometown to drive it even once a week and keep it safe (from theft i mean) i would have thought of keeping it.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 08:05   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. Also AC gas is not readily available.

Most of the points you have mentioned are cosmetic in nature. You say that there have been no problems with the car, except the sound from the engine. If your mother wants to learn, then it would make sense to retain the car - at least till she is confident of driving. Even the sound you mentioned happens at a speed that she will not do in the near future.

Why do you say A/C gas is not easily available ?

Quote:
Am looking at spending around 1.5L max. I saw 2 Esteem Vxi 2004 models, one for 1.3L and the other for 1.4L. That's the asking price, haven't negotiated yet. Also saw a Baleno Vxi 2005 for 1.4L.
Why do you want to sell an old car (one that you know completely), and buy another used car (which you dont know about) ? You can refresh your Zen in much less the price of the cars you have checked. You cant be sure of the condition of the used car you are looking to buy. You'll be much safer with your own Zen.

Last edited by condor : 11th March 2012 at 08:08.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 09:05   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Why do you say A/C gas is not easily available ?
Condor, the Maruti Zen in question uses the refrigerant R12 which is banned in India in the year of 2004(not sure of the year). Now the refrigerant in use is R134a

Then I believe the replacement refrigerant for R12 is MO49 (R413a)

Last edited by Klub Class : 11th March 2012 at 09:07.
Old 11th March 2012, 09:27   #434
Senior - BHPian

Don't sell the car; let your mom learn to drive and once she gets the hang of it (and few nicks and bangs later) sell it.
Old 11th March 2012, 09:38   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Do sell if you do not need the car, and there is no one to drive it regularly (a few times a week). Otherwise if there are folks at home who would need a car and you are thinking of selling the Zen and buying something else then its worthwhile (financially) to get this repaired at a good repair shop and then use it.
Yes Mayank, I do need a second car. My mother insists on having one for herself,though it is used for 2-3 times max a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why do you want to sell an old car (one that you know completely), and buy another used car (which you dont know about) ? You can refresh your Zen in much less the price of the cars you have checked. You cant be sure of the condition of the used car you are looking to buy. You'll be much safer with your own Zen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
My 2001 zen still doesnt show any signs of rusting . So,you can safely assume that the rusting seen on your car could have been prevented if you had been more careful.

60 k kms ! and you are worried about engine issues My car has done around 2L kms and it still doesnt show any signs of engine problems . I stick to the 5K/10K service intervals and it has never let me down anytime .
Actually this car was bought in Jan 2009 when I came back from Mumbai from a True Value in Kolkata. As a matter of fact both my cars are from True Value. I drove it for a little less than 2 yrs and 10k kms (used to drive it less because I commuted by bike mostly then) before I gave it to my mother and bought the Alto. Since then its in the hands of part time drivers. I stay in a different house so don't get to see the car also that much but I do get it serviced every 5-7k kms. The water in that locality has a lot of iron because of which the rusting I guess :(.

I guess I will get it repaired and get an anti rust done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks