Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2012, 10:08   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Zen Vxi 2002, Keep it or sell it ??

There is no point selling a 2002 Zen and buying a 2004 esteem. Esteem has a more fragile body than Zen and it is also rust prone. So the best thing to do is keep it unless you are contemplating something new.

I suggest you give the alto to your mom and use the Zen for yourself. In case of any breakdown (which is unlikely) , you can handle it. Once the EMI for alto is over, you can sell the Zen and go for a new car.

However if you really want an used car, choose models post 2008. And avoid esteem & Baleno.

Last edited by oxyzen : 11th March 2012 at 10:10.
Old 19th March 2012, 11:33   #437
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

I hope this is the right thread to ask this. I have a 9 year old Maruti 800. It will turn 10 in December this year. A fair amount of problems keep creeping up now and then. I have a feeling that to bring back the whole car to mint condition ill at least need around 10 grand. Now the question is, would this investment be worth it if i would use the car for another year or two. Or would it be best to sell the car now??
Old 19th March 2012, 13:25   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
I hope this is the right thread to ask this. I have a 9 year old Maruti 800. It will turn 10 in December this year. A fair amount of problems keep creeping up now and then. I have a feeling that to bring back the whole car to mint condition ill at least need around 10 grand. Now the question is, would this investment be worth it if i would use the car for another year or two. Or would it be best to sell the car now??
This is the perfect thread to get some resolution to your dilemma. If the amount is just 10K to bring the car back in shape then I would say go for it. You can easily stretch it till next 2 years, provided you don't have an itch for a bigger car & your M-800 satisfies all your needs. Selling the car now or after 2 years is going to fetch you more or less the same price. But if you sell it now, you will have to invest at least a couple of lacs more in a new car.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 14:05   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
This is the perfect thread to get some resolution to your dilemma. If the amount is just 10K to bring the car back in shape then I would say go for it. You can easily stretch it till next 2 years, provided you don't have an itch for a bigger car & your M-800 satisfies all your needs. Selling the car now or after 2 years is going to fetch you more or less the same price. But if you sell it now, you will have to invest at least a couple of lacs more in a new car.
Thank you. Yes i will definitely be using it for a couple of more years. Just finished college and going to start working soon. So will be sometime before i can think of investing money into a new car. So it's time to get the M-800 fixed then
Old 19th March 2012, 14:22   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Yes i will definitely be using it for a couple of more years. Just finished college and going to start working soon. So will be sometime before i can think of investing money into a new car. So it's time to get the M-800 fixed then
In this case it makes all the more sense for you to get your old workhorse back in shape. I assume you haven't started a family yet & most of the times you would be the lone person using the car. M-800 is perfect for a single person, who has minimal luggage. It is the least expensive to maintain. Once you start earning you can set aside a portion of your salary towards the pool for your dream machine. In 2-3 years timeframe, you would have saved a good chunk for your next car, which would enable you an outright purchase (or with minimal EMI).

I have made up my mind that my upgrade would come only when I am in a position to make full downpayment. Don't want to start paying EMIs again for a depreciating asset.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:47   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
In this case it makes all the more sense for you to get your old workhorse back in shape. I assume you haven't started a family yet & most of the times you would be the lone person using the car. M-800 is perfect for a single person, who has minimal luggage. It is the least expensive to maintain. Once you start earning you can set aside a portion of your salary towards the pool for your dream machine. In 2-3 years timeframe, you would have saved a good chunk for your next car, which would enable you an outright purchase (or with minimal EMI).

I have made up my mind that my upgrade would come only when I am in a position to make full downpayment. Don't want to start paying EMIs again for a depreciating asset.
Thank you so much for your advise AutoIndian. That shall be my plan of action. I do not want to end up paying EMI's either. So the upgrade shall come when I am ready with a full downpayment.
lobojames9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 19:56   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for your advise AutoIndian. That shall be my plan of action. I do not want to end up paying EMI's either. So the upgrade shall come when I am ready with a full downpayment.
Do not lock up ur money in a depreciating asset so early in your career. Save every paisa & invest in Mutual Funds & some amount in FDs. It will give you a great boost 5-6 years down the line. Buy a car only with absolutely surplus cash. The most important thing is to drive around & enjoy the drive- you do need some money for fuel & hotels.

Cheers
Sridhar
sridhar-v is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 21:57   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Do not lock up ur money in a depreciating asset so early in your career. Save every paisa & invest in Mutual Funds & some amount in FDs. It will give you a great boost 5-6 years down the line. Buy a car only with absolutely surplus cash. The most important thing is to drive around & enjoy the drive- you do need some money for fuel & hotels.

Cheers
Sridhar
Thank you Sir for the advise. Surely does make a lot of sense. I shall surely take your advise.
Old 26th April 2012, 14:42   #444
BHPian

I was planning a separate thread for this question but than I think this is the most appropriate thread to ask this question.
Before the question some context:
I have 2005 Honda City Exi (NHC) with 115,000 Km on Odo. Paint job is in good condition. Car has always been served at a Honda dealership in Delhi. . though for last 50K I have upgraded to synthetic oil and got it serviced at 10K interval than the recommended 5K interval. Engine is responsive delivers 12-13 kmpl average in summers with AC on and 14 Kmpl in winters. Even higher on highway.

car's suspension has started showing signs of age. It is recommended by A.S.S to change control arms, few mounts, bearings etc with an estimate of parts at 70K + labor. Also I will need to change tires in 6-8 months, that is another 18K + few other things that need attention. Net I will end up spending 1 lac+ on getting it in great shape.

These are my question:
1. Should I fix this car or replace it with a newer smaller hatch as I plan to keep a driver for daily commuting. ( May be a diesel)
2. Should I be prepared for any major expenses to engines or electrical systems
3. How much longer you can expect Honda Engine's to last. 200K or higher

Few facts that might help.
1. My daily commuting is going to be 70+kms on a single car. currently I do 30 kms a day.
2. There is just one sedan in family. Planning to buy a second hatch in 8-10 months anyway.
3. NHC has never failed me on the go except punctures.
4. I have been told that suspension usually needs work at 70K for Honda's and I am lucky that it has survived so far.
5. 95% drive in City roads

Let me know your thoughts on this. Appreciate your views.

Last edited by SaneOp : 26th April 2012 at 14:43.
Old 26th April 2012, 15:15   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneOp View Post
car's suspension It is recommended by A.S.S to change control arms, few mounts, bearings etc. Also I will need to change tires. I will end up spending 1 lac+ on it.

Should I fix this car or replace it? Should I be prepared for any major expenses? How much longer you can expect Honda Engine's to last?
You shouldn't treat tires as an investment on the car but rather you should think of it as a consumable just as you would treat fuel expenses, engine oil, filters, and brake pads.

Depending on the current condition of the suspension, you may still be able to go with what you currently have. You should, however, make sure you get it attended to before you take to highway traffic speeds. Also, I wouldn't worry about the engine in any modern vehicle considering that many of them, particularly taxis, last over 250,000 km. If you can get away without having to do some of the work (I'm assuming some of the repairs you haven't specified may be cosmetic) you would be able to save on depreciation by holding onto your car. Again, that depends on the condition of your vehicle.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 19:32   #446
BHPian

Quote:
I have been told that suspension usually needs work at 70K for Honda's and I am lucky that it has survived so far.
I had the 1999 Honda-city for eight years and 1,25,000 kms.
Never had any problems in suspension or others.

Only the air-conditioner was giving problems and that too because it was refitted after damage due to a dog-hit.

I presently own the Civic, and at 5 years and 1,05,000 kms never had any problems so far.

I hope to hold this car for ten years at-least (2,00,000+ kms) without any major problems.

P.S
Self-driven 100%, and mostly highway driving.

Last edited by manim : 26th April 2012 at 19:33.
Old 26th April 2012, 19:39   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was planning a separate thread for this question but than I think this is the most appropriate thread to ask this question.
Before the question some context:
I have 2005 Honda City Exi (NHC) with 115,000 Km on Odo. Paint job is in good condition. Car has always been served at a Honda dealership in Delhi. . though for last 50K I have upgraded to synthetic oil and got it serviced at 10K interval than the recommended 5K interval. Engine is responsive delivers 12-13 kmpl average in summers with AC on and 14 Kmpl in winters. Even higher on highway.

car's suspension has started showing signs of age. It is recommended by A.S.S to change control arms, few mounts, bearings etc with an estimate of parts at 70K + labor. Also I will need to change tires in 6-8 months, that is another 18K + few other things that need attention. Net I will end up spending 1 lac+ on getting it in great shape.

These are my question:
1. Should I fix this car or replace it with a newer smaller hatch as I plan to keep a driver for daily commuting. ( May be a diesel)
2. Should I be prepared for any major expenses to engines or electrical systems
3. How much longer you can expect Honda Engine's to last. 200K or higher

Few facts that might help.
1. My daily commuting is going to be 70+kms on a single car. currently I do 30 kms a day.
2. There is just one sedan in family. Planning to buy a second hatch in 8-10 months anyway.
3. NHC has never failed me on the go except punctures.
4. I have been told that suspension usually needs work at 70K for Honda's and I am lucky that it has survived so far.
5. 95% drive in City roads

Let me know your thoughts on this. Appreciate your views.
I suggest you to try some independent garage which specializes in suspension jobs and I am sure the bill will be 30-40% less.

Honda cars easily last 2lacs KMs (10 years), so nothing to worry, go ahead with the repairs.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 12:59   #448
BHPian

Hi,
I had recently replaced the front arms , an engine mount , steering ends and brake master cylinder in my OHC got a bill of around 20k.

Got this done at the garage where i have been servicing the car for past 5 years. It is not an A.S.S

For the NHC it may be a bit costlier.
Old 30th April 2012, 10:08   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
You shouldn't treat tires as an investment on the car but rather you should think of it as a consumable just as you would treat fuel expenses, engine oil, filters, and brake pads.

Depending on the current condition of the suspension, you may still be able to go with what you currently have. You should, however, make sure you get it attended to before you take to highway traffic speeds. Also, I wouldn't worry about the engine in any modern vehicle considering that many of them, particularly taxis, last over 250,000 km. If you can get away without having to do some of the work (I'm assuming some of the repairs you haven't specified may be cosmetic) you would be able to save on depreciation by holding onto your car. Again, that depends on the condition of your vehicle.
I agree with you that tires should be treated as consumables. None of the repairs I mentioned are cosmetic, though I plan a few, they are low on my priority - they will be done after I fix the suspension. I am leaning towards keeping this vehicle to 200K at least. Will post later on my final decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had the 1999 Honda-city for eight years and 1,25,000 kms.
Never had any problems in suspension or others.
Gurgaon roads did it in. I often commute b/w delhi and Gurgaon and some of the roads within sectors are really bad. Honda's are reliable cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
Hi,
I had recently replaced the front arms , an engine mount , steering ends and brake master cylinder in my OHC got a bill of around 20k.

Got this done at the garage where i have been servicing the car for past 5 years. It is not an A.S.S

For the NHC it may be a bit costlier.
Also asked by few folks earlier that get it done at neighborhood service stations which will do it for far less an amount. I have tried with front bearings my opinion is that parts available outside are unreliable, give up too soon. Need repeat attention.
I would have certainly done it had Honda Original parts available outside and will get my trusted guys to fix it. Let me know did you manage with Honda original parts or market available parts. T

Thanks people
Old 1st May 2012, 16:34   #450
BHPian

@SaneOp,

the arms, engine bed and the master cylinder were from honda. i should enquire the source of the parts. I personally inspect the parts put in my vehicle.

Quote:
Also asked by few folks earlier that get it done at neighborhood service stations which will do it for far less an amount. I have tried with front bearings my opinion is that parts available outside are unreliable, give up too soon. Need repeat attention.
I would have certainly done it had Honda Original parts available outside and will get my trusted guys to fix it. Let me know did you manage with Honda original parts or market available parts. T

Thanks people

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks