Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2013, 16:41   #526
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

My WagonR LXi is 9 years old.I am planning to sell it and buy a brand new EcoSport 1.0 base variant by the beginning of 2014.What should I do.Should I sell the WagonR to buy the EcoSport or should I retain it.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 3rd March 2013, 18:52   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
My WagonR LXi is 9 years old.I am planning to sell it and buy a brand new EcoSport 1.0 base variant by the beginning of 2014.What should I do.Should I sell the WagonR to buy the EcoSport or should I retain it.

Cheers,

Achyuth
In my view you should sell waganR if and only if the money you get by selling is useful for your new purchase. If you can afford without selling, you should do that. Then ofcourse comes situation about parking. If can park two cars where you live, have them.

No car is to be sold as long as you are in a situation that requires you to sell only then buy - funds or parking.
krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:50   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

Achyuth
IMO you can go ahead selling your WagonR and buy a new car next year.

10 years is a good time to keep any car!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:11   #529
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

Achyuth
I am in the same boat Achyuth. The only difference is my Wagon-R isn't even 3 years old. However I am looking for an upgrade into a new segment. The Waggy ain't no SUV however if the EcoSports is not a substantial upgrade then maybe I'll just keep my car.
Old 4th March 2013, 07:01   #530
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post

I am in the same boat Achyuth. The only difference is my Wagon-R isn't even 3 years old. However I am looking for an upgrade into a new segment. The Waggy ain't no SUV however if the EcoSports is not a substantial upgrade then maybe I'll just keep my car.
The WagonR is certainly one of the most sensible vehicles in India, for India. I particularly liked the Primea version which they released in 2005 or so.
Unconventional, tall-boy looks led to it being uncharitably called many things including bread box. It is actually an excellent, fuel efficient, inexpensive, extremely versatile vehicle with stacks of storage and transportation space - almost as good as a van. It has even got split foldable seats and a nice easy to load, luggage bay.
All that I would do to it is to chuck the stock skinny tyres, upsize the OEM wheels by a size or two within the allowable limits, change the tyres to fatter bigger ones for better road holding and grip and chug along with it.Of course, it would be lovely if one could get a few airbags in it and ABS as well in these modern times.
Old 4th March 2013, 16:42   #531
BHPian

Mod Note: Please don't make back to back posts on the forum. Use "multi-quote' option instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
In my view you should sell waganR if and only if the money you get by selling is useful for your new purchase. If you can afford without selling, you should do that. Then ofcourse comes situation about parking. If can park two cars where you live, have them.

No car is to be sold as long as you are in a situation that requires you to sell only then buy - funds or parking.

Hi Krishnaraja,I am already having three cars, Nissan Sunny and the WagonR.The WagonR is currently useless as it consumes a lot of fuel.The Ecosport's length is pretty same as the WagonR so I plan to buy it.Parking three cars is pretty difficult in my house.

Thanks,

Achyuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post

Hi Derezzed,Your WagonR is pretty new but the EcoSport is surely a substantial upgrade.Even the base 1.0 variant comes with ABS,Airbags and it's plastic quality is good,Build quality is excellent and do note that the EcoSport is from a whole new segment.The EcoSport's 1.0 base's entry price is something around 597k.And please tell me which variant of WagonR do you have ? LXi or VXi

Last edited by noopster : 4th March 2013 at 17:39.
Old 4th April 2013, 20:34   #532

I have a similar situation here. I had bought a used civic 2007. 12000 kms run Automatic in Bangalore and have been enjoying it since last 7 months.

Now one fine morning, I had a feeling of selling and buying an XUV or like wise. I put ads on the net and even though initially did not get much response. Today I have 2 parties waiting to buy without even negotiating

Now I am very confused whether to sell or not. I am ok with the mileage part of the Civic. Right now my odo says 20000 kms.(I dont drive much)

My only concern is later say 3-4 years I might not get any resale for this one. And even though Civic ownership threads says low maintenance costs and stuff, I got an estimate of 30000 today from Dakshin Honda Bangalore.
(To replace brake discs pads tail light..oil interior cleaning etc)

Should I keep the car or sell it?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Check upper case/lower case/punctuations before posting.
We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2013 at 13:52. Reason: PM coming up
ratheeshba is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th April 2013, 01:59   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratheeshba View Post
Should I keep the car or sell it..?
Unless the previous owner had abused the car, my opinion is to keep this for many more years.

I tell this as a very satisfied owner of a 2007 AT with 1,26,000 kms done in six years with no problems whatsoever worth mentioning till now.

I plan to hold this car for ten years total (four more to go!).
Old 5th April 2013, 10:25   #534

No he has not abused the car.. just that there are some good scratches on the body
Old 8th April 2013, 19:52   #535
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Indians generally trade / upgrade their cars after only 5 years of ownership.

What actually makes financial sense? Should you retain your existing car for another 3 - 5 years or trade up toward a new car?
When my Wagon R was approaching 5 years I had almost bought the new Swift. Even waited for it for the entire waiting period of 6 months quite anxiously. It was during that time I came across this thread and somehow could stop myself from committing myself to this purchase. Used the loan amount I was eligible for to buy second house.

It was difficult but somehow I could hold. Thanks GTO.
anandjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 20:14   #536
BANNED

Friends - My wife's drives an Alto LXI - Jan 2007, done 96k kms. All well with the car, routine checks up done on time, battery replaced, on 3rd set of tyres, changed at 85K. Recently the clutch was giving signs of wear, on opening the gearbox, it was found that there was oil in the gearbox due to a worn out seal (was very small, just the size of a 5 rupee coin & worth only Rs 20/-) which caused the clutch to die. Got it done at MASS but the clutch is still not how it should be. Question is - is it time to let go of the Alto... 'coz I wanted to keep it longer since it's been one brilliant drive so long..
Old 9th April 2013, 21:06   #537
BHPian

i am getting 3.5 lac for my 5.5 yrs and 93k kms old ford fusion with new tyres, new battery and mats and all belts changed. Should i sell my fusion or keep it as its clutch work is pending which is quoted @ 30k along with front bumper change @ 20k and front windshield change @ 7k. I am not able to take decision as the car is still a dream to drive but with iminent expenses upcoming. Pls guide, thanks.
Old 10th April 2013, 06:48   #538
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
i am getting 3.5 lac for my 5.5 yrs and 93k kms old ford fusion with new tyres, new battery and mats and all belts changed. Should i sell my fusion or keep it as its clutch work is pending which is quoted @ 30k along with front bumper change @ 20k and front windshield change @ 7k. I am not able to take decision as the car is still a dream to drive but with iminent expenses upcoming. Pls guide, thanks.
Our pal Ampere on the forum was in a similar dilemma as you. His car was in a similar life stage as yours is...
He sold his Fusion and bought a Duster. Has been laughing ever since!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 09:04   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Our pal Ampere on the forum was in a similar dilemma as you. His car was in a similar life stage as yours is...
He sold his Fusion and bought a Duster. Has been laughing ever since!
Thus it makes financial sense to let the Fusion go. Thanks alot.
BTW i am thinking of Quanto c8 with lahaul spiti and leh ladakh in my mind.
Duster with abs airbag is way above my budget and as per my observation fwd cars face traction loss on gravely steep inclines.
Old 10th April 2013, 14:28   #540
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Thus it makes financial sense to let the Fusion go. Thanks alot.
BTW i am thinking of Quanto c8 with lahaul spiti and leh ladakh in my mind.
Duster with abs airbag is way above my budget and as per my observation fwd cars face traction loss on gravely steep inclines.
Whatever vehicle you buy, do try and buy one which has ABS and at least those front airbags. These days, with the speeds we attain on the highways, it is better to be safe than sorry.

You might consider the SX4 because that is a very solid vehicle for general usage. You really do not require 4x4 unless you go regularly to some far away places which are full of slush and mud or sand or whatever.

Incidentally, since M&M have now launched a 4x4 SLE Scorpio which I think also has airbags and ABS, that might be worth considering at 11 lacs ex showroom.

Else I really cant see anything wrong with the Quanto per se, except that it appears a bit top heavy and its tyres look a little small for it...

Most Viewed