Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2013, 13:12   #586
BHPian

Re: Planning to start long drives. Should I replace my Xylo ?

Unless your car is leaving you stranded or there are other factors at play, I really don't understand why you would need to replace the Xylo.

If you haven't taken care of it or it has been stationary for a while its best to get a service inspection done. Correct if there's anything needed and you're good to go.

Some of us have hatches without any of the above mentioned safety features and do 2-3 long drives in a year and plan to abuse it in Leh next year. Plan still tentative

As far as highway long drives are concerned its more about man being backed by a reliable machine. Anticipate the limitations of our highways and be aware of the limitations of your machine and nothing should stop you.

Any specific reasons why you're considering a change?
Old 27th October 2013, 13:27   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Unless your car is leaving you stranded or there are other factors at play, I really don't understand why you would need to replace the Xylo.

If you haven't taken care of it or it has been stationary for a while its best to get a service inspection done. Correct if there's anything needed and you're good to go.

Some of us have hatches without any of the above mentioned safety features and do 2-3 long drives in a year and plan to abuse it in Leh next year. Plan still tentative

As far as highway long drives are concerned its more about man being backed by a reliable machine. Anticipate the limitations of our highways and be aware of the limitations of your machine and nothing should stop you.

Any specific reasons why you're considering a change?
I have sat in the XUV and find the suspension much better and overall the ride is more comfortable. But I think Xylo is more spacious. But I agree, just the suspension should not be the reason to change the Xylo.

I have kept the Xylo is good condition.

Thanks.
Old 27th October 2013, 14:55   #588
BHPian

+1 to what Abhishek said. You have maintained your car well, it is not giving you any trouble, then why change.

31k Kms is a very small amount that you have still clocked on the vehicle, it is good to serve you for more 1L kms easily.

Also, for long dives, xylo is a very comfortable vehicle. I have my neighbor who has done Mumbai Kashmir in his xylo, and the vehicle performed extremely well. At the same time, you should know the limitations of the car and the road you are travelling upon, not exceed the limits, and there is no problem at all.

Keep the car as long as it serves you well before looking for a change, be rest assured, the xylo is a good mile muncher on the highways as well.
Old 27th October 2013, 15:12   #589
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Golfdude,

Unless your Xylo is giving any issues on long drives or otherwise, I dont see any other reason to replace it. By top-end model, I assume you would be having the E8/E9 - so you already have all that is needed for a long drive - a powerful engine, Safety features (ABS, Airbags), Entertainment (DVD player) and loaads of space. Unless you get all these options on another vehicle - you can stick to the Xylo.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 15:15   #590
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
I plan to start doing 2-3 long drives per year. Is there any reason I should replace my Xylo with something better specifically for the long drives ?
The Xylo is a frugal, reliable and a reasonably comfortable vehicle and now that you have used it for 31k kms, I m sure you have a hang of it as well.

Your variant also has all the required basic safety features like ABS and 2 airbags and hence, I do not see the need to replace it so soon.

Use it for another lac kms and then take a call.

PS: Please remember that your planned long drives will also involve considerable expense from your side and hence a low/non EMI vehicle will serve you well efficiently.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 15:18   #591
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

When I saw the thread title I was like
Your top end Xylo is just about 3 years old and you say you've maintained it well. This is a very good vehicle for long drives and I think it's too early to go for a change.
Read GTO's excellent article on 5 year old cars, keep or sell dilemma here.
Old 27th October 2013, 19:26   #592
BHPian

I think the important factor to consider is whether Xylo is the right vehicle for long drives rather than whether to retain or replace a 3 year old vehicle. I for one never felt comfortable about Xylo as a highway cruiser. It is quite a tall vehicle and to me it almost looks like a 2x WagonR and Mahindra vehicles were not exactly known for their handling capabilities and I am not sure about Xylo's stability and aerodynamics. Once a Xylo came to pick my parents for a long distance trip and I felt very nervous and from the next time made it a point to insist on Innova. This is not to say Xylo is unsafe and Sedan or a Innova is safe on the Highway. As long as one is aware of the car's limitations and drives safely, it should be ok.
Old 27th October 2013, 22:04   #593
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

I am in a dilemma like all of you guys, I have a top-end Safari 2.2L VX model which has just covered 40K/4years. The vehicle is in pristine condition except for one thing: the timing belt broke 3 times and the latest being on the Goa-bangalore NH4 stranding me. I had promised myself the second time the belt issue happened that if this happens again the vehicle is going to go but now I am in two minds about it:

Well the pro's about this vehicle:
NO EMI's,no payments on it.
Its an SUV with oodles of space and all the tech and safety I need.

The Cons about this vehicle:
Timing belt broken three times,stranding me the last time on a long trip.

So now what do I do, the way I see it I have two options:

1) Keep the Safari for use only inside Goa, buy a vehicle from a different segment which is reliable for long trips.(the problem I see here my budget will not permit me to go for an SUV but only a reliable sedan but I am a SUV person) Also if I do keep the Safari I have planned the timing belt will be changed every year no matter what.

2) Sell the Safari and go for a new SUV/Urban SUV-the only problem I see here is the resale value for the Safari is going for a toss and I will not get its real worth.

So guys please give your honest opinion what I should do.
Old 27th October 2013, 23:30   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
NO EMI's,no payments on it.

Though you have to take my opinion with a pinch of salt, I won't hesitate in saying that get rid of your Safari, the sooner the better. Breaking of timing belt, not just once or twice but three times, is something very serious, that too within a span of 40K kms. Who knows it might have damaged the engine internals. Unless the root cause of timing belt breakage is fixed there is no point in driving this vehicle.
Old 27th October 2013, 23:39   #595
BANNED

Quote:
I am in a dilemma like all of you guys, I have a top-end Safari 2.2L VX model which has just covered 40K/4years.

So guys please give your honest opinion what I should do.
Please sell the car and get a reliable SUV or a UV if budget permits else go for a Sedan. The way the timing belt has given way is ridiculous and something Tata must look into the root cause and try to arrest it.

I am pretty sure the internals also wouldn't be in great condition and no point in plonking your hard earned money for repairs (that too for the same issue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Though you have to take my opinion with a pinch of salt, I won't hesitate in saying that get rid of your Safari, the sooner the better. Breaking of timing belt, not just once or twice but three times, is something very serious, that too within a span of 40K kms. Who knows it might have damaged the engine internals. Unless the root cause of timing belt breakage is fixed there is no point in driving this vehicle.
+1000 Buddy. You just read my mind!

Anurag.
Old 28th October 2013, 00:58   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This question does bug me a lot but I psychologically I feel the need to change the car
Is this the blue Ritz that I took a picture of near Gachibowli last year? You certainly can keep running it for longer because you do not have any real problems with the car. You can spruce it up with new seat covers, a tuning box, new rims, a new head unit, or LCD displays and can wait for a vehicle that is all-new rather than a mid-lifecycle refresh.

Quote:
the timing belt broke 3 times
The best time to sell your vehicle and buy a new one is when you start to have reliability problems. That is when you have got your money's worth of trouble-free running and stretching it further will only cause more frustration when the next breakdown occurs.

BTW, was the breakage of the timing belt associated with the tensioner, or was it traced to some other source?
Old 28th October 2013, 01:07   #597
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Is this the blue Ritz that I took a picture of near Gachibowli last year? You certainly can keep running it for longer because you do not have any real problems with the car. You can spruce it up with new seat covers, a tuning box, new rims, a new head unit, or LCD displays and can wait for a vehicle that is all-new rather than a mid-lifecycle refresh.
You are right Nitin! We had met each other for a short time during the Team-BHP meet where you had come to flag off the drive.

Waiting till 2017 is too long as the speculated All new Swift would come then. So either I have to continue with the Ritz or wait till 2014 and exchange it with the Swift ZDi!

Anurag.
Old 28th October 2013, 10:34   #598
BHPian

Hi golf dude
I think it is you who you know your car the best.
I will only say that first think of the requirements you expect from the car and then make the decision to change or not to change.
And as per my opinion I agree with "altius" even i find xylo to be unstable on highway.
Old 28th October 2013, 11:53   #599
BHPian

I'm having a Fiesta ZXI TDCi 2006 model which is completed 92K as of now. I recently changed the timing belt and injector cleaning etc. Currently CAR is in good condition, but I really do not know how many KMs I can munch with this car. Also, will it be good for long drives?. Faced some issues like power window failure(changed new motor as well) and horn issues. I've resolved all the issues, but there is an uncertainty always in mind like what issue will come next(when). Also, I've no idea about the reliability of Ford Fiesta after 90K (7 years). Please share your suggestions for me to keep this or swap with another 10lac budget car.
Old 28th October 2013, 13:55   #600
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
I'm having a Fiesta ZXI TDCi 2006 model which is completed 92K as of now. I recently changed the timing belt and injector cleaning etc. Currently CAR is in good condition, but I really do not know how many KMs I can munch with this car. Also, will it be good for long drives?. Faced some issues like power window failure(changed new motor as well) and horn issues. I've resolved all the issues, but there is an uncertainty always in mind like what issue will come next(when). Also, I've no idea about the reliability of Ford Fiesta after 90K (7 years). Please share your suggestions for me to keep this or swap with another 10lac budget car.
I drive a Ritz VDi (Dec, 2010) which has clocked 103400 kms. No major repairs whatsoever. The car is absolutely stock and even I have that uncertainty in my mind what problem will crop up next. But somehow in my mind in sure that it'll not let me down. The is no specific point where we can say to what extent a car would ruin niggle free so even if you retain it for a while the will be an indication from the car itself that a minor breakdown or a problem is in the way.

Talking of this uncertainty, you can't variants peace I'd mind in a new car too. Risk is there everywhere so if you have the budget and willing to let go the fiesta then please do change the car. Even I am in the same state as you are (you can read my post a few posts above).

All the best and happy car hunting.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks