Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:38   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma! To Keep or Exchange My Fiat Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Hi Folks,

I am in a great dilemma to decide on whether to keep or exchange my Linea with a hatchback. Before I go ahead, following are the details of my steed:

Now the dilemma, my Fiat is Delhi registered which I drove from Delhi to Bangalore in August 2015
I am left with following options:

Option 1: Try to exchange my Linea with any hatch till the time I am here in Bangalore. However, I will loose on space comfort and safety of my tank in this case.

Option 2: Look for any used bike for my daily office commute and retain Linea for highway drives (for longer city drives I use Zoom cars)

Options 3: Keep playing the hide and seek with the RTO till I am caught and cough up close to 1.2 Lakh Rs. when they catch hold of me. One thing to note is that there are very bleak chances of getting a refund when I move out of Bangalore.

P.S: I am love with my Linea and and I will be heartbroken I have to say goodbye to her.

I would love to hear your suggestions/comments and help me find a solution quickly.
Firstly, please clarify whether you intend staying in Bangalore for a long time, or are you anticipating moving back to Delhi any time soon? I ask this question because, going by the law, July 2016 is your deadline to pay tax and re-register the Linea in Bangalore if you intend to stay on in this city.

Also, do you have family? Or are you single?

Option 1 is going to hurt. Since your Linea is DL registered, you will lose a LOT of money if you try selling it in Bangalore. It only makes the situation of Fiat's poor resale value that much worse.

Option 2 is viable. There is some risk, but still do-able. Bangalore is very 2-wheeler friendly. Having a scooter or 125cc commuter bike is always a good idea in this city.

Option 3 really not a smart idea at all. Rule this out altogether.

You could take your Linea back to Delhi and keep it there, if that is a viable option (family back in Delhi/NCR? Is that your home town?)
If you are planning to stay in Bangalore for 2-3 years and
- do not have a family, buy a bike/scooter and do Zoom Car/OLA/Uber for longer drives in and around Bangalore.
- have a family, buy a beater 2nd-hand hatchback like a Wagon-R. On longer drives, you can still go the Zoom Car route.

Sell the bike/car when you move back to Delhi.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 22nd February 2016 at 14:39.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:45   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Grevvity, thats a dilemma which a friend of mine was also in..................runs and weekend drives.
Just my two cents!
TorqueyTechie, thanks for your quick and detailed response. I too am inclined towards option 1 however there is a caveat which I forgot to mention. I am not sure whether I will be able to sell my DL registered car here in Bangalore. I believe you need to have an NOC if you want to sell your out of state registered car and in order to get the NOC I have to physically present my car to Delhi RTO which is now impossible in my case.

Is there any other workaround which might be possible like if I can exchange it at TrueValue or a dealer can buy it without NOC?

OT: What price I can expect for a Nov 2012 53K run Linea Emotion in an overall good condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Firstly, please clarify whether you intend staying in Bangalore for a long time, or are you anticipating moving back to Delhi any time soon? I ask this question because, going by the law, July 2016 is your deadline to pay tax and re-register the Linea in Bangalore if you intend to stay on in this city.

Also, do you have family? Or are you single?

Option 1 is going to hurt. Since your Linea is DL registered, you will lose a LOT of money if you try selling it in Bangalore. It only makes the situation of Fiat's poor resale value that much worse.

Sell the bike/car when you move back to Delhi.
KiloAlpha, I do have my wife and my 2 year old kid with me which is the sole reason due to which I am clinging on my Linea. The comfort and moreover the safety it provides cannot be matched easily with a hatchback. I am planning to be in Bangalore for next one year for sure and later will decide basis on other factors.

Taking Linea back to Delhi is not an option as I do not want to pay double EMI's for the existing and new car which I have to buy to replace Linea. I am ok with a second hand hatchback provided it has bare minimum 2 airbags and ABS. However, that would only be possible if I am able to sell my Linea here and what price I might get.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd February 2016 at 16:15. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:10   #738
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there any other workaround which might be possible like if I can exchange it at TrueValue or a dealer can buy it without NOC?
If you were to exchange your car at a dealer, they'd take care of selling it off, including the RTO NOC. We gave back our MH-registered Zen to the dealer in Gurgaon, Haryana that we bought the i20 from. No issues, no questions.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd February 2016 at 10:17. Reason: Fixed typo
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:19   #739
Senior - BHPian

are you open to pay some (annual etc) tax, or are against paying any tax to bangalore RTO in general ? If its the first one, then silverwood may have some good news for you soon, so it might be worth it to stick to option 2 for a while
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:24   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
are you open to pay some (annual etc) tax, or are against paying any tax to bangalore RTO in general ? If its the first one, then silverwood may have some good news for you soon, so it might be worth it to stick to option 2 for a while
I do not mind paying annual tax but given the rate at which the road tax is charged, I am not at all ready to pay for entire 15 years specially when I may not stay beyond 2 to 3 years.

I know I am sounding too desperate but can you share some details on the "Good News" part of your post. I know there is an ongoing petition in court to abolish/amend the tax collection period from 15 years to annually and I hope the news is related to the same.
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:30   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure whether I will be able to sell my DL registered car here in Bangalore.

OT: What price I can expect for a Nov 2012 53K run Linea Emotion in an overall good condition?
Grevvity, You can sell it off to a dealer or true value as you mentioned when buying another car from them. But do keep in mind that they will quote lesser value than say another KA registered similar model.

If you plan to sell it directly then you would have to take care of removal of hypothecation(if any), NOC by yourself. And also have to either pay the road tax yourself or let the buyer know about it. You will make more losses IMO.

Couple of useful links related to your concern
1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bangalore.html
2. http://www.rto.kar.nic.in/registoravehiclecss.html

With regards to the resale value , considering outside I am thinking maybe you can get somewhere close to 4l if the car is kept in good shape. Try researching yourself by contacting some dealers inquiring about a similar make and model car before thinking about setting the selling price. Hope it helps.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:38   #742
Senior - BHPian

at this point, its just hearsay,
Quote:
Finally some ray of hope at the end of the tunnel.
I had a chat with the Transport Commissioner of Karnataka sometime back. He said that he has submitted a proposal to the govt for short time tax(Quarterly) for Non Karnataka Vehicles.
I will meet him next week to seek more clarity on the same.
this was posted on the FB group
greenhorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:04   #743
BHPian

Quote:
... cough up close to 1.2 Lakh Rs. when they catch hold of me. ...

P.S: I am love with my Linea and and I will be heartbroken I have to say goodbye to her.
Linea is a fantastic car in terms of driving.
Keep it, since you love it so much. I dont see any use selling/exchanging it with a hatch.

1.2 L Is that the amount Banglore RTO would charge...?
You'll get a good bike for that amount.

Simply said, keep the Linea and get yourself a bike. Driving just 6 kms on the bike is no big deal, it'll go past in a breeze.

For weekends/ highway runs you already use zoomcar/your car.
Enjoy the Linea bro.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:15   #744
Senior - BHPian

I can see a lot of suggestions to sell the Linea and buy a hatchback in Bangalore. So the new car would entitle same tax isnt it? So why not spend the same amount and pay the road tax for the Linea? You can continue to use it as it is now without any fear of getting caught by the RTO officials.

You can lessen the tax burden by submitting an application at Delhi RTO for the tax refund stating moving out of state. But the above can be applicable if you stay put in Bangalore for atleast 2-3 yrs. This way when you want to shift, you can sell the car and buy a new one at your new place (or maybe back in Delhi again)

Quote:
When any person has paid the tax in respect of a motor vehicle and the vehicle is removed outside Delhi before the expiry of the period for which the tax has been paid and taxed in another State or the registration of such vehicle is cancelled before the expiry of the period for which the tax has been paid, such person shall, on an application made in that behalf to the taxation authority and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed, be entitled to a refund,-
A 2 wheeler can never be a substitute for the Linea (Personal opinion).
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:25   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I can see a lot of suggestions to sell the Linea and buy a hatchback in Bangalore. So the new car would entitle same tax isnt it? So why not spend the same amount and pay the road tax for the Linea? You can continue to use it as it is now without any fear of getting caught by the RTO officials.

A 2 wheeler can never be a substitute for the Linea (Personal opinion).
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions.
@ghodlur, I bought this car as a used car and got a very good deal. Paid close to around 4.5 lakhs at the time of purchase. Now spending another 1.2 lakhs does not sound viable to me given the fact I wont get anything similar if I resell it now. I agree thay for a new hatchback the tax would be at the same rate but the tax is calculated on ex showroom which will be lower for a hatch compared to Linea plus the resale value would be much higher for any popular hatch (Swift or Wagon R maybe)
Old 22nd February 2016, 20:50   #746
BHPian

I suggest you get the NOC from Delhi and pay the tax here, simultaneously apply for refund from Delhi. Since the approximate resale of your car in Delhi is 3.14 lacs and if you sell the car in Bangalore after change of registration and tax is about 3.69 as per team bhp classifieds used vehicle price index.
Even if you were to buy a two wheeler it would cost a minimum of 60k instead put another 60k and pay the tax and keep the car that you love. Once you get the NOC from Delhi, join AASI in Bangalore for an annual membership and they would assist with re registration at a nominal fee rather than pay any RTO agent.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:54   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
I am in a great dilemma to decide on whether to keep or exchange my Linea with a hatchback. Before I go ahead, following are the details of my steed:
Dear Grevvity,
Reading the entire thread has made me realize that Linea is very near and dear to you. Even if you sell it for a grand deal, the void which it will leave with you can't be fulfilled by the new car. I am basing this statement of mine on pure fact that you have reiterated multiple times on the thread regarding how VFM preposition it is for you, tyres were upgraded and sound system too. Since you drive mostly four to five kilometers to your office, you can very well buy a good second hand scooter which shall serve you well. Considering the giant speed breakers available on already horrible roads of bangalore, scooter shall serve the purpose and for occasional stints you can very well use your beauty Linea (of course with due protection ).
I am a frequent visitor to Bangalore and one day while standing at a traffic intersection I saw vehicles registered in the states of TN, JH, BR, WB, UK standing at Red light and not a single KA registered vehicle. So, chances of you getting caught is evenly matched out amongst several thousands of other vehicles. Though I am not suggesting you to bypass the law.

I have read on online forums that Bangaloreans have started petitions to the state government regarding the higher road tax and I am hoping it will bear fruit.
You didn't mention your profession, which I am assuming to be an IT Professional which everyone is in Bangalore. Then bro, I guess you are going to be in Bangalore for longer run. Keep holding on your Linea and do not buy a new car. Who knows aapko onsite ke liye bhej diya jaye

Hope I was able to add value.
Cheers

Last edited by ampere : 23rd February 2016 at 09:43. Reason: Edited quoted content
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:44   #748
BHPian

This is the beauty of TeamBhp. I was struggling to take a call and decided to post my query on TeamBhp and now with suggestions from you all, I have decided to go for Option 2 i.e. to keep Linea for now and look for a bike for daily office commute. I am hoping the WP in court will be in favor for us and I will be able to drive my car without any fear. Thanks all.
grevvity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 17:15   #749
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

I am torn between a decision to go for a used skoda octavia 1.9 tdi or a used toyota corolla petrol. Question of the heart and mind really. I have been reading and reading, too much perhaps. My running would be about 1100 kms a month or so. The octavias I can find online seem to have run close to 1L, as have the corollas. 2003-2005 models. I wanted a comparison of the ride between the octy and the corolla. And also NVH levels, specifically road noise and wind noise on the highway. Having owned a fabia before I know the isolation is pretty good in a skoda. But I also know the outflow of money over the next 2-3 years will also be high with the skoda. This will partially offset the running cost advantage of the diesel over the petrol. Can't decide if it's worth it.

Last edited by rohitnp : 8th March 2016 at 17:16.
Old 8th March 2016, 17:30   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitnp View Post
I am torn between a decision to go for a used skoda octavia 1.9 tdi or a used toyota corolla petrol. Question of the heart and mind really. I have been reading and reading, too much perhaps. My running would be about 1100 kms a month or so. The octavias I can find online seem to have run close to 1L, as have the corollas. 2003-2005 models. I wanted a comparison of the ride between the octy and the corolla. And also NVH levels, specifically road noise and wind noise on the highway. Having owned a fabia before I know the isolation is pretty good in a skoda. But I also know the outflow of money over the next 2-3 years will also be high with the skoda. This will partially offset the running cost advantage of the diesel over the petrol. Can't decide if it's worth it.
I for one can't compare between octy and Corolla since I have not driven an octy, but per the knowledge gained I can say going for a pre owned Corolla is a much better proposition, as a vvti engine can take 2 to 3 lakh KMs without giving too many troubles.

Expenses would be there in any used car, but IMO the expenses for skoda would be much higher than that of Corolla.

I bought a pre owned Corolla last year which had run only 45k KM. There are lots of Corolla in the used car market and if you search you are sure to get a good conditioned one.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks