Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2016, 11:24   #781
ada
BHPian

Re: Seven years of Ritz and now an itch

DrAnto, indeed, after coming to know the uniqueness of my Ritz, bechana cancel, and as ampere suggested will give a mid-life makeover. However I do manage to get 12 - 14 kmpl in city. No wonder when I complained that Iam getting average of only 13 kmpl, MAS guys asked me to give it in writing as there are others who are getting 8/9 kmpl.
ada is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 14:09   #782
BHPian

I believe the car you should be looking out for is Vitara Brezza Boosterjet. Sure, you can pimp your current ride but where's that new car feeling? Brezza is a great all round package, and when and if the boosterjet comes, it'll be quite an hoot to drive as well!

So my suggestion will be wait for that !
Old 12th June 2016, 15:59   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Having driven the first gen Ritz petrol I can vouch for each word which ada has mentioned regarding the engine response of that car. The first gen K series engine was a true driver's delight in terms of throttle response. Even in lower rpms it doesn't feel sluggish at all.
And currently having a Swift VVT, which is a reworked K series engine, I can vouch what biggrin has said regarding this engine

For the sake of improved FE, Maruti took away the fun factor from this engine. Low end was compromised a lot and though the mids and highs are still good but definitely feels timid than the First gen K-Series.

Ada, my advice would be to keep this car for a while just for that engine and maybe spruce up your ride with some good alloy wheels, seat covers, sound dampening and all.
I too have a 2009 Ritz Zxi petrol with the same mileage of 49k km.
It's truly a rev happy divers car in terms of the kick it gives in 2nd and 3rd gear provided you shift after 3.5k rpm from 1st. I have been behind wheels with other small petrol motors from honda(Jazz) and hyundai and even big brothers like new tata storm and eccosports, which cries out loud if caned a bit hard.

Its a looker too with clean exterior, later models came with plastic eyebrows and claddings all around.
No new petrol hatch(1.2l) of this era can match its thrust. throw the idea of bechana to the lions.

The first item in the spruce-up list should the idea to reduce body roll. I have upgraded to yoko earth-1 195 section tyre but still scary along ghats.

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-a2.jpg

Last edited by sulivan : 12th June 2016 at 16:18. Reason: addition
sulivan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:39   #784
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Hi,

I have a 7 year old Scorpio SLE. Its done 1 Lakh kms but is in a great condition. I have maintained it well and its good to go for another 1-2 lakh kms or so easily. Even aesthetically, the car looks good. I have enjoyed a number of long distance trips all over India in the seven years I have owned the vehicle.

However, over the past few days I have been mulling over whether to sell this car or not. The only reason being it lacks air bags. If I remember correctly, even the top variant of Scorpio also did not have air bags in 2009.

As I had originally planned to keep this for as long as i could (preferably 12-15 years), I dont want to buy a new car right away. I may get around 5 lakhs or so If i sell it off, and I intend adding a lakh or two max and go the used car way.

Am I thinking correctly? Does it make sense to let go of a car in great condition for want of air bags? Should I swapping it for a 5-6 year old used car right now? Or should i hold on to it for a few more years and then buy a new car?
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:48   #785
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Am I thinking correctly?
No

Quote:
Does it make sense to let go of a car in great condition for want of air bags?
No

Quote:
Should I swapping it for a 5-6 year old used car right now?
No

Quote:
Or should i hold on to it for a few more years and then buy a new car?
Yes
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 06:57   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
No

No

No

Yes
Thanks for the prompt and crisp replies.

Could you share a bit of your reasoning behind your answers.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:36   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Since you have kept the Scorpio in decent nick in the past, and are pretty sure that it will last for the next 1 Lac kms at least, I would suggest to hold on to it for the next 4-5 years and then upgrade to a new car (Fully loaded EcoSport or XUV500 or other vehicles which would be available then).

Finding cars in the used market is one thing and finding *the* car in the used market is another. Most of the examples you'd see will have a high-risk factor (accident, rolled back odo, rash driven, not properly run-in and so on!) and may or may not last even 5 years (or 80k kms) depending on the one you pick. OTOH you know your Scorpio inside out, you know what needs replacement, you know how you have driven it and you know that it is good for the next 5 years at least.

There are a lot of cars without airbags plying on the roads. If there is any other concern for selling off your current ride, you can go ahead but just for the lack of airbags, it doesn't make sense. Keep your driving practices safe and buckle up. Limit your speeds on the open roads if you are not comfortable with such speeds. Save enough, so you can ensure that you get a top-end next time with lots of airbags and gadgetry.
biggrin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:52   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

However, over the past few days I have been mulling over whether to sell this car or not. The only reason being it lacks air bags. If I remember correctly, even the top variant of Scorpio also did not have air bags in 2009.

Am I thinking correctly? Does it make sense to let go of a car in great condition for want of air bags? Should I swapping it for a 5-6 year old used car right now? Or should i hold on to it for a few more years and then buy a new car?
Personally think that your thought process is spot on. Not intending to scare, but we did see how the Scorpio crumbled in the recent NCAP tests. In addition, it is not a new or less run car. So I think that your thought process is valid and commendable.

The challenge is the budget you have after selling. Obviously you will need a car that can do equal or more than the Scorpio. You will not (or should not) be able to adjust to say a hatch or sedan. So no point selling at getting a vehicle that has airbags and stuff but does not meet most of your other requirements. In addition, just having airbags does not help if the car is structurally weak

So my suggestion is to first see if there is any car that has safety features + suits your requirements in your potential budget for the next car (say 7L). If there is, then think about selling the Scorpio. Otherwise, continue until you maybe have a budget of 10-12L maybe, you can get several of the higher segment SUV's and sedans for this budget (pre-owned of course).

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 23rd June 2016 at 10:53.
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:07   #789
Senior - BHPian

I like your thinking and IMHO safety on the roads, is always on my mind when I drive everyday. But at the same time I still drive a Ritz VDi that has no safety features to talk about. I use it strictly for city runabouts and use my airbags and ABS equipped Titanium Figo for long distance highway sojourns. I can't even remember how many times I have been glad that I have ABS to get me out of a tricky situation on the highway and thankfully the airbags have not been used so far

When it comes to safety, other logical matters like price, resale, residual value etc..should never be a consideration, because there is absolutely no dearth of idiots and unsafe vehicles on our roads that are real safety hazards and it takes just one moment to change a perfectly happy trip to a moment of tragedy. So If you think that getting a car equipped with airbags is what you need for you and your family I would say its great that you have finally realized this and have decided to take a step in the right direction and I think that 7 years is a reasonably high number of years to have used a car before you let it go. Just my opinion.

Last edited by SPARKled : 23rd June 2016 at 13:10.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:53   #790
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the prompt and crisp replies.

A simple suggestion. If you intend to sell it for 5 lakhs and plan to add 2 lakhs more, I'd suggest you invest your money and buy your car on a fixed rate loan.

5 lakhs after 7 years is good resale.

Take a new loan for 7 years, or you could wait for an offer like the 4.99% 7 year loan from Renault had for the Duster/Lodgy.

Or you could go for the TUV 500 which is basically a chopped up New generation Scorpio with better interiors.

P.S. I am biased against buying new cars for salaried people who are eligible for car loans and are willing to invest long term. New cars work out better financially over the long term.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 21:55   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
Since you have kept the Scorpio in decent nick in the past, and are pretty sure that it will last for the next 1 Lac kms at least, I would suggest to hold on to it for the next 4-5 years and then upgrade to a new car (Fully loaded EcoSport or XUV500 or other vehicles which would be available then).

Finding cars in the used market is one thing and finding *the* car in the used market is another. Most of the examples you'd see will have a high-risk factor (accident, rolled back odo, rash driven, not properly run-in and so on!) and may or may not last even 5 years (or 80k kms) depending on the one you pick. OTOH you know your Scorpio inside out, you know what needs replacement, you know how you have driven it and you know that it is good for the next 5 years at least.

There are a lot of cars without airbags plying on the roads. If there is any other concern for selling off your current ride, you can go ahead but just for the lack of airbags, it doesn't make sense. Keep your driving practices safe and buckle up. Limit your speeds on the open roads if you are not comfortable with such speeds. Save enough, so you can ensure that you get a top-end next time with lots of airbags and gadgetry.
I know it can be difficult to find a good used car. I am also finding it hard to trust the dealers claims of "well maintained less run" cars here in Delhi.

Thanks for the inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Personally think that your thought process is spot on. Not intending to scare, but we did see how the Scorpio crumbled in the recent NCAP tests. In addition, it is not a new or less run car. So I think that your thought process is valid and commendable.

The challenge is the budget you have after selling. Obviously you will need a car that can do equal or more than the Scorpio. You will not (or should not) be able to adjust to say a hatch or sedan. So no point selling at getting a vehicle that has airbags and stuff but does not meet most of your other requirements. In addition, just having airbags does not help if the car is structurally weak

So my suggestion is to first see if there is any car that has safety features + suits your requirements in your potential budget for the next car (say 7L). If there is, then think about selling the Scorpio. Otherwise, continue until you maybe have a budget of 10-12L maybe, you can get several of the higher segment SUV's and sedans for this budget (pre-owned of course).
Yes the NCAP test ratings of the Non Air Bag variant scorpio are a major factor behind my thought process. I am thinking of a used Altis which could provide me with a good alternative for my Scorpio along with the necessary safety features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I like your thinking and IMHO safety on the roads, is always on my mind when I drive everyday. But at the same time I still drive a Ritz VDi that has no safety features to talk about. I use it strictly for city runabouts and use my airbags and ABS equipped Titanium Figo for long distance highway sojourns. I can't even remember how many times I have been glad that I have ABS to get me out of a tricky situation on the highway and thankfully the airbags have not been used so far

When it comes to safety, other logical matters like price, resale, residual value etc..should never be a consideration, because there is absolutely no dearth of idiots and unsafe vehicles on our roads that are real safety hazards and it takes just one moment to change a perfectly happy trip to a moment of tragedy. So If you think that getting a car equipped with airbags is what you need for you and your family I would say its great that you have finally realized this and have decided to take a step in the right direction and I think that 7 years is a reasonably high number of years to have used a car before you let it go. Just my opinion.
Thanks. I am finding it difficult to let go of my well maintained car. But then like you said, you really cant put a price tag on safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
A simple suggestion. If you intend to sell it for 5 lakhs and plan to add 2 lakhs more, I'd suggest you invest your money and buy your car on a fixed rate loan.

5 lakhs after 7 years is good resale.

Take a new loan for 7 years, or you could wait for an offer like the 4.99% 7 year loan from Renault had for the Duster/Lodgy.

Or you could go for the TUV 500 which is basically a chopped up New generation Scorpio with better interiors.

P.S. I am biased against buying new cars for salaried people who are eligible for car loans and are willing to invest long term. New cars work out better financially over the long term.
Thanks for an interesting insight. Investing the cash in hand and taking a loan instead seems like a good proposition.
Old 24th June 2016, 05:54   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to let go of a car in great condition for want of air bags?
Absolutely does. But finding a like for like replacement will be slightly difficult.

There are certain situations (like this) in which you shouldn't hesitate. With growing indiscipline on the road, I think you should sell your scorpio for your good.

The best option among used cars is an Ertiga. Though not meant to take abuse like the Scorpio, this car is wonderful. Try searching for a Corolla, Civic, Innova.

If you can stretch a little, consider a new TUV 300.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 11:58   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the NCAP test ratings of the Non Air Bag variant scorpio are a major factor behind my thought process. I am thinking of a used Altis which could provide me with a good alternative for my Scorpio along with the necessary safety features.
If safety is your fear, then I suppose there is no financial argument to be made. I assume you will be going for a diesel car? Why not also check out the Nissan X-Trail in diesel guise. It is an extremely reliable car, has good road manners and is pretty decent off-road as well. Very comfy and practical cabin too. Not sure how the scene is today but even a few years ago, the car managed to hold on to its snob value pretty well too.
Old 24th June 2016, 20:17   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would say, sell it. You are approaching the 10 year limit - Diesels older than 10+ years being banned in NCR. I fear you would not get a decent resale for it after a few years. Plus if this ban spreads to other areas, it would be difficult to find a buyer at all. A silver lining in this might be the scrapping policy govt. is coming up with, which might help you save on the new car should you decide to scrap it.
Old 26th June 2016, 19:54   #795
BHPian

Hi Team,

I am currently having WagonR VXI K series (Jan 2011) and completed 95k Kms this month. I have done below mentioned repairs/changes to my ride this month.

1. ICE - Replaced stock speakers in the front doors with JBL - Infinity along with Rockford Fosgate R1 woofer with OEM box and JBL 4 Channel amp @ 1000 W.Suddenly stock head unit feels overpowering with sweet sound.I am not the one who believes in rattling the passerby with mind blowing bass. I listen to the music depending on the mood swings.Blow to the pocket INR 14 K.

2. Tyres - Replaced the second set of tires ( I have already replaced all 4 tires in 2013 @ 49 K Kms.) with third set of Apollo Amazer 3G.Blow to the pocket 9 K.

3. Clutch - This is the second time I have gone for the clutch overhaul due to heavy bumper to bumper traffic of Ghaziabad to Gurgaon. Blow to the pocket
7 K.

4. Transmission Oil - Oil filling plug was not opening and it was damaged badly by the BOSCH service centre technician.I went to Maruti Service Centre and they did an excellent job of taking out the casing and then welded something to the plug and removed it.They only advised for clutch overhaul so that 2650 INR of labor will be saved just to remove the plug.Blow to pocket INR 750 for BOSCH Oil.

5. Throttle Body - Got it cleaned at BOSCH but technician screwed it and RPM were touching 1300 in neutral.This was rectified by Maruti Service Centre. Blow to pocket INR 750.

6. Engine Oil - Earlier I was using Original MGO oil.I tried Castrol Megnatech - Semi Synthetic. This was the oil which I always wanted to use but it actually made the car a bit too sluggish.I have already driven 2600 Kms on it and will change it to MGO after completing 5 K. Blow to pocket INR 1300.

7.Coolant - Due to hot weather and CNG in the car, I flushed the radiator and changed the coolant.Blow to pocket INR 500.

8. Battery - OEM battery lasted for 5 years and recently changed to Amaron.Blow to pocket 3 K.

9. Seat Covers - This is the second set of seat covers.I like the jute stuff.Last time I took the faux leather and it lead to excess sweating while sitting for longer durations and also I felt that I am allergic to it. Blow to pocket INR 2500.

10. Sensors - I somehow wanted to got them installed in year 2011 but was not able to convince myself. I got it installed in Scorpio S10 and found it very convenient, hence got it installed in WagonR as well.Blow to pocket INR 2500.

After all this stuff, I feel that my ride is good for another 50 K or two years. After that I am surely going to take a decision on whether to keep or change it to Ford Aspire or Maruti Ciaz.

Regards,
Lalit Mohan Tyagi

Most Viewed