Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 14:53   #916
BHPian

Figo TDCi, nearing 7 yrs, keep or sell?

Hello guys,

Need your views. It relates to keep or sell old car as well as what new car. I own a Ford Figo Diesel which will complete 7 yrs next month. The itch to upgrade has entered my mind but I am all confused. My car has been doing well but the senses have gotten bored of the same thing. Now looking at the current traffic I thought of going for automatics. I have TDed the following cars.

Ciaz AT - The car felt nice, atleast in the city area where I drove her. I had taken TD 2 months back.

City AT - The car was nice but somehow the AT felt slow. I was comparing it to Ciaz back then and somehow I was not impressed by her.

I was thinking of budget of around 15L so I thought I might as well try SUVs. First up was XUV500. I know I had to exceed 15L but thought if I like it I'd think about it.

XUV500 AT - Coming from Figo, the size kept reminding me that I was driving something big. There was some kind of uneasiness in mind although I could take her around comfortably. But the thing is, from this TD, I started paying attention to how the vehicle pulls forward. Even if the engine is torquey, I somehow felt the pull was missing. I was trying to judge it between the speeds of 20 to 80. Not sure how AT is tuned here, I tried multiple times but was not happy with the pull. I felt the Figo with 1.4 pulls better, although since it is manual, I can stay in lower gears much longer.

Ecosport AT - I had seen this vehicle in showroom already but back then TD vehicle was not there. It was made available last week. But now instead of all the features, my mind was solely focused on pull / driving pleasure. As expected, the petrol AT does not have the same punch that you can get in a diesel. It was excellent vehicle for sedate driving but if you wish do some sporty driving, it would fall short.

Now the confusion. I want to change the car to bring freshness but at the same time I don't want to get into a situation where I'd regret buying a car that is not fun to drive at all. I know Figo is not known to be very powerful car but it still fared better than all the petrol NA engines.

I know there are cars like Vento / Rapid with diesel AT but due to reliability concerns, l am not quite keen on these two. I think either I have to give up on AT preference or live with slower petrol ATs. Or live with Figo till a worthy option arrives. What do you say?
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 15:13   #917
BHPian

Re: Figo TDCi, nearing 7 yrs, keep or sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hello guys,

Need your views.
==========
I know there are cars like Vento / Rapid with diesel AT but due to reliability concerns, l am not quite keen on these two. I think either I have to give up on AT preference or live with slower petrol ATs. Or live with Figo till a worthy option arrives. What do you say?
When did you test drive the Ecosport AT? Except for the bumpy ride due to the low profile tyres it felt very peppy to drive. Even a little difficult to keep quiet in the sports mode. Paddle shift makes it still nice. As you own a Ford already you should be familiar with the service. Take a TD once again before you rule it out.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th February 2018 at 16:07. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts for short replies. Thanks.
Old 5th February 2018, 16:11   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

I just checked Carwale OTR Pune and it lists the Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX+ automatic at 15.5 lakhs.

Look no further., I would suggest the Verna. Sweet engine, sorted dynamics and a decent 6 speed Auto. Take a test drive.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 16:11   #919
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Quick update, sold my Beloved Rapid TDI finally this morning! Closed it for 5.1 L.
That is a very good price for base variant Rapid. Dealer offered 3.5L for my colleague's 2013 Leissure Ltd edition variant. Other friend picked a 5 year old ambition rapid for 4.7 L (It had new tyres and music system).
Old 6th February 2018, 14:57   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
That is a very good price for base variant Rapid. Dealer offered 3.5L for my colleague's 2013 Leissure Ltd edition variant. Other friend picked a 5 year old ambition rapid for 4.7 L (It had new tyres and music system).

Actually it was the mid variant—Ambition and had MOMO alloys, Continental tyres and Pioneer Apple Car play HU! So was quite loaded I would say!
Old 4th March 2018, 13:14   #921
Senior - BHPian

Car Make - XUV500 W8
Yr.of Manf - 2013
Kms run till date - 1,59,000 kms
No.of ownership - Single
--
Overall expenses including Accidental repairs -

Amount spent till date - Rs.4,41,843
No.of kms covered as on last bill - 157216 kms
Overall maintenance cost including accidental repairs per km - Rs.2.81 per km

Excluding accidental repairs

Amount spent on accidental repairs - Rs.1,47,000/- (thanks rear ending cabbies on a stationery vehicle & stray dogs chasing on road)

Actual maintenance cost - Rs.2,94,843/-
No.of kms as on last bill - 1,57,216 kms
Cost per km on actual maintenance - Rs.1.87 per km

Cost on Accidental repairs - 93 paise per kms

I have filtered out the expenses incurred in the last 27,000 kms which was covered in 12 months.

No.of kms covered in last 12 months - 27,000 kms
Cost spent on maintenance (no accidental repairs) - Rs.1,16,500/-
Maintenance cost per km - Rs.4.31/-

Now the maintenance cost in the last 1 year has gone up by 230% Plus I have minor reliability issues which does not inspire confidence for highway runs, plus the car is out of warranty

PS: Not sure if there is a thread on maintenance cost per kms. Will be interesting to see datas of vehicles crossed 100k kms

Last edited by Surprise : 4th March 2018 at 13:15.
Surprise is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 13:20   #922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Now the maintenance cost in the last 1 year has gone up by 230% [/b] Plus I have minor reliability issues which does not inspire confidence for highway runs, plus the car is out of warranty
Would you mind breaking down, what is causing this surge in costs for last 1 year? Is it due to part replacements or increased labour/taxes? Vehicles around a lakh or so mark do need some additional TLC, but once that is sorted, it should not cost you so much on a regular basis.
Old 4th March 2018, 13:38   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Would you mind breaking down, what is causing this surge in costs for last 1 year? Is it due to part replacements or increased labour/taxes? Vehicles around a lakh or so mark do need some additional TLC, but once that is sorted, it should not cost you so much on a regular basis.
Front shock absorber assembly LH,*Assy RR Shock absorber & spring,*Shock absorber front,*Steering wheel W4 TLS - Rs.42,000/-

Ball bearing crankshaft, Dual mass fly wheel, Clutch cover assembly, Armrest assembly console, others - Rs.34,000/-

ABS Sensor & Front window electric motor - Rs.5500/-
Fuel line assembly repair (leakage) - Rs.1,400/-
Fuel filler rubber hose - Rs.850/-
Wiring harness repair charges - Rs.700/-
Plus 2 regular 10k interval services

Edit: Average front brake pad life is 30k & rear is 50k. Replaced Front brake discs once at 100k kms.

Whereas in POLO Tdi, have replaced the Front brake discs at an average of 15k kms Probably late braking is causing more wear...moved to Brembo discs for last replacement

Last edited by Surprise : 4th March 2018 at 13:56.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 17:50   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Front shock absorber assembly LH,*Assy RR Shock absorber & spring,*Shock absorber front,*Steering wheel W4 TLS - Rs.42,000/-
Edit: Average front brake pad life is 30k & rear is 50k. Replaced Front brake discs once at 100k kms.
If you have already replaced these parts recently and spent so much on it, then it would probably be wiser to keep it for at least 50k kms more. Doesn't make sense to spend so much, sell and again spend on a new car.
Old 5th March 2018, 18:58   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
If you have already replaced these parts recently and spent so much on it, then it would probably be wiser to keep it for at least 50k kms more. Doesn't make sense to spend so much, sell and again spend on a new car.
Already done 20k kms. Problem is reliability. One or other issues show up, hence the confidence of taking it on highway with family onboard is of concern. Plus have to sell it off for some taxation issues (Company owned). But the engine of the vehicle is gem & munches kms without any effort

Just wanna find out the maintenance cost that I mentioned in the last 12 months & 27k kms of Rs.4.31 is normal for a vehicle done in excess of 130k kms at the time of repair
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 02:04   #926
BHPian

I think individuals perspective matters here. I had a 2009, Getz 1.1 GLE done about 92,366 kms and I happen to spend Rs. 22,000 in replacing the clutch assembly and the flywheel. Now considering that I have just spent this much and continue to own this beauty I will have to take few assumptions in mind. In my case I have decided to go for a new vehicle but what got me to this decision is the fact that:

1. I am currently getting Rs. 1.45 L as exchange with a XUV 500 W6 (Feb’18 pre facelift model). I personally think that this is a very good price and it at least will fetch me a part of the money that I have just spent.
2. The current set of tyres are already 40000kms old and will need a replacement in the next 10000kms for sure. That is another Rs 15,000.
3. The battery is already 4 years old and wouldn’t know when it might just give up. This would cost an addition of Rs. 4,500.
4. I have to change the timing belt which will cost another 8k. This has to be done on a proactive basis than reactive.
5. In the last 5 years of ownership I have never spent less than 15 K for a service and the interval being 10000 kms.
6. I am told by other 1.1 engine owners and by the service advisor that the spares for Getz 1.1 is really expensive compared to the 1.3 engine.

So keeping these things in mind, it’s quite certain that longer I keep this car, it’s going to be a big liability. Instead, give it up and get a new one that would not only satisfy the itch for a new car but also favorable from the reliability stand point.

Regards,
Sunil.
sunil.nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 09:58   #927
BHPian

It seems you have more or less made up your mind to go in for a new car. Definitely makes sense in terms of a safer more modern vehicle. Obviously fully agree that only a small fraction of the money you put into your current car for batteries, tires etc will be recouped at the time of sale. Makes sense only if you plan to run it for a another couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil.nv View Post
I am told by other 1.1 engine owners and by the service advisor that the spares for Getz 1.1 is really expensive compared to the 1.3 engine.
I would take this with a pinch of salt. The 1.3 was used only in the Getz from 2004 onwards, whereas the 1.1 was sold in much larger volumes - in the Santro from 2003 and the first generation i10, and subsequently in the Getz too. I had the 1.1 in a Santro Xing which ran 140k km with one clutch replacement. Mechanically the 1.1 is quite sorted! Although I never felt my car was expensive to service, there was a Getz 1.3 in the family with lower miles which was more expensive to run and had an issue with parts availability.

Last edited by promit : 16th May 2018 at 10:03.
Old 25th July 2018, 14:56   #928
BHPian

The car: Swift VXi
Year : 2008
Kms : 61000

Now the car is 10 yrs old and has few dents in the front bumper and front right door, thanks to a reversing water tanker and scratches all around. FNG quoted approx. 50k to remove all dents, replace headlight cluster and repaint the whole car.

There is also some work required in the ac compressor as it makes some kirring noise on and off (ac works just fine). The noise kind of irritates me if I don't play any music. I replaced the front suspensions and clutch assembly for about 30k rupees last year.

My mind says to fix the aforementioned issues and retain the car as it runs absolutely fine. Also it has run only 60k and I feel for sure it can go upto a lakh kms considering the G13B engine. It puts a smile every time I take it on the highway by its speed and handling characteristics.

My confusion is this: Should I retain the car as it had only completed 60k kms or look for a lateral upgrade as it had completed 10 yrs? Should the life of the car be considered for upgrade? Not that I'm bored with my car. Now I see many M800s, Altos and Santro xings on the road which tell me that these cars are being used for more than 10 yrs and supports my rationale that I should retain my car. But I would like to have your opinion as to what needs to be done here.

Thanks.

Last edited by emkay.india : 25th July 2018 at 15:12.
Old 25th July 2018, 16:06   #929
BHPian

You should retain the car. 60k is nothing for modern engines and with the usual maintenance costs, it should you serve you well for a long time. You are happy with the car, and just the fact that it has reached the milestone of 10 years should not be a trigger for a replacement.
Old 25th July 2018, 16:36   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
The car: Swift VXi
Year : 2008
Kms : 61000

Now the car is 10 yrs old and has few dents in the front bumper and front right door, thanks to a reversing water tanker and scratches all around. FNG quoted approx. 50k to remove all dents, replace headlight cluster and repaint the whole car.
The only reason I can think of upgrading your car:
1) Small niggles and expenses that will crop up, though it will work out cheaper to just fix them and use it.
Even at INR 1L a year for the next 5 years, it will work out cheaper than a new Swift VXi.

2) You are bored of using the same car / the car feels dated - which I completely understand and nothing can change that except a new ride.

3) Your usage pattern has changed / requirements have changed: You want a bigger car with a bigger boot / better safety equipment etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks