Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 5th October 2019, 15:52   #1006
BHPian

Default Re: Car Purchase Dilemma: Which Car Can Replace The Santro Xing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Do you need to replace your Santro now?
No you do not. The Xing is an extremely reliable car. The 1.1 lit motor has beautiful low and mid ranges, driveability in the city is unmatched. With all the work you have done, she should be good for another 40-50k km of trouble free ownership.

Is this a good time to replace your Santro?
Probably yes. With BS 6 looming in the background and the general slowing down of the automotive industry, the time to buy a new car is NOW. If you can wait till December, expect the discounts to get bigger, especially for slow sellers.

Since you are keen on another Hyundai, do check the new Nios out.
I agree, the Santro Xing is one of the most robust and reliable cars which were available in the market. The driveability of the new Santro is no where close to the Xing. But the main thing is that we feel the best resale value can be received right now. According to me, the resale value will depreciate by almost 25-35% in next 2 years and 45-50K kms. Also, with implementation of the BS VI norms, the car costs will get higher. Am I thinking in the wrong direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
If the car is working perfectly, as it seems to be, I see no reason to replace it as it is just 9 years old. You don't have to worry abour renewing RC for another 6 years. With the way our economy is going down, I would advise to not put undue burden/EMI on yourselves.
In Delhi NCR, you can not get your RC renewed after 15 years and due to this, we are getting really bad resale value of cars which are more than 12-13 year old. This is a major concern as dad and I, both want a significant resale value. Since my dad is also into business, his concern is similar as that of yours about the depreciating economy but since our loan will not be more than 2.5 lacs, he says that the EMIs can be managed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Looks like your family is keen on changing the car. The test drives, taking offers, and deciding the best option, all have been completed. CHANGE the car, would be my answer.

Your santro is in prime shape. You have done all that is necessary. This will reflect in better resale value compared to others of same age and mileage. Depreciation,well it already is heavily depreciated and going forward it will be nominal. Yes, new tyres, insurance and you are good to go. But then, a new car is a NEW CAR. You welcome that car, appreciate the new features, relish the smoothness of engine etc. and people are talking about it. Few things money canít buy.

Dads do deserve the best.

Get that santro AMT. You canít go wrong. Borrow it when you are not in the mood for a manual.

Although the car has been extremely reliable, small niggles which appeared in the past such as radiator fan relay going kaput made us lose confidence in the car. Since my sister too will be here next year, we want a car which we can depend upon. Also, its been long since we have the car with us and somewhere, even dad wants a change and thus I too am supporting him with this decision. Since the car will be used mostly by dad in the Delhi NCR traffic, we are looking for a car with the smallest footprint and cheapest on road price and thus, NIOS is not even being considered. Dad does not want an AMT car but yes, I am trying to push him for the Santro AMT.
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote