Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 19:52   #1111
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Retaining the Corolla is the best bet.
Yes, it's a little bigger than the Ecosport for beater duties per se : but the driver is used to its size, your father is happy, and even if you have to get some body work done every 2-3 years, it is still cheaper than all the options.

Due to the pandemic, we've been using the Corolla as a beater as well and though parking is a little more troublesome it's a manageable size.
Have a look at the dimensions : it's not far off from the Kushaq / Taigun : similar width, and slightly longer length.

Last option: S Cross which is a decent all rounder. Not as thrilling to drive as the Kushaq, but will keep the wallet happy.
Yes looking at the replies, pretty much unanimous in keeping Corolla and selling Ford.

S-cross wont work to replace corolla as dad will prefer some brand. Toyota still has some status and I'm pretty sure he won't want to be sitting in a Maruti vs a Skoda or VW even if the MAruti is spacious and practical.

Looks like I should be putting the Ford on the blocks soon.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 01:07   #1112
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes looking at the replies, pretty much unanimous in keeping Corolla and selling Ford.

S-cross wont work to replace corolla as dad will prefer some brand. Toyota still has some status and I'm pretty sure he won't want to be sitting in a Maruti vs a Skoda or VW even if the MAruti is spacious and practical.

Looks like I should be putting the Ford on the blocks soon.
Good idea with the option 2. You already knew the answer, just messing around with people

I agree with Ajmat btw, put yourself on the block too and get a bride for the ride
Old 12th August 2021, 02:19   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 3 series was impulse buy cause I was looking for a sports sedan for ages and this was perfect to complement the Kodiaq for the "sheer driving pleasure" and Joy.
OPTION 5-Wildest Card

I might have the most reckless solution of the bunch, but here goes:

Sell Kodiaq as well as the 3 series and instead buy a used V8 X5; this ought to take care of both outstation trips as well as driving pleasure (just imagine installing one of those aftermarket tailpipes that allows you to open the valves and hear the V8 sing). Killing two birds with one stone.

Sell the Ecosport as well since it is reached the end of its product lifecycle and once it becomes last generation's Ecosport, the value in the used market will nosedive even further. Pick up a new Ignis or Polo or something of the sort as I find it is still important to have a locally manufactured car that will always be cheap to run and never leave you stranded anywhere.

Keep the Altis it has served you well and will continue to serve you well for decades to come.

I hope I don't offend you with such a rash suggestion but it is what I would have done.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th August 2021 at 02:27.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 09:57   #1114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
He’s willing to use the Corolla, which is about 12 inches shorter than a Camry. He won’t even feel the difference.
I think with a 3 series and a massive Kodiaq in the house, having a Camry/Accord in the house is kinda overkill. I personally prefer the Ecosport as a beater over even the Corolla which is larger than a Honda city and secondly a lot of parts are imported and even a small bump is not exactly pocket friendly. As an example, my neighbour backed up slightly into the Corolla a few years back and the corner of the headlight cracked. The cost of the new light was 30K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
OPTION 5-Wildest Card

I might have the most reckless solution of the bunch, but here goes:

Sell Kodiaq as well as the 3 series and instead buy a used V8 X5; this ought to take care of both outstation trips as well as driving pleasure (just imagine installing one of those aftermarket tailpipes that allows you to open the valves and hear the V8 sing). Killing two birds with one stone.
A bit too wild for me. The X5 is too old with the 4.8 and nowhere near the dynamics of the 3 series. A RWD sports sedan like the 328i is far more fun and potent than any SUV even if it is a V8. And on top of that those are notorious in reliability. Long drives in that are a gamble. The Kodiaq is far better than a 10 year old BMW SUV and wonderfully complemented with a sport sedan with dynamics that are unmatched by any SUV.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:22   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A bit too wild for me. The X5 is too old with the 4.8 and nowhere near the dynamics of the 3 series. A RWD sports sedan like the 328i is far more fun and potent than any SUV even if it is a V8. And on top of that those are notorious in reliability. Long drives in that are a gamble. The Kodiaq is far better than a 10 year old BMW SUV and wonderfully complemented with a sport sedan with dynamics that are unmatched by any SUV.
Understandable, how about a used 5gt? Or perhaps replacing the 3 series with a cayman/boxter/z4? Something about having both the Kodiaq as well as the 3 series seems a bit unnecessary to me in practical terms. At the end of the day the 2015 328i weighing in at over a ton and a half powered by a turbo 4, electric power steering and an open rear diff, isn't exactly a beacon of driving perfection as it used to be when compared to the E90, E46, E36 and E30 generations of the car IMO. Don't get me wrong, it is certainly fun but is it fun enough to justify being an extra car in a 3 car garage?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th August 2021 at 11:52.
Old 6th September 2021, 15:26   #1116
Senior - BHPian

I'm in a similar dilemma as well but with a 10 year old car. My diesel Swift ZDI with 74k on the odo will turn 10 this December and initially the plan was to keep it until its 15 yrs old but I'm wondering if its the right time to replace it.

Usage
95% within the city and almost always chauffeur driven. The only highway drive it gets is once a month drive on NICE road or airport run to prevent carbon accumulation due to low rpm driving within the city.

The suspension, steering rack and clutch needs replacement. The engine also emits excessive white smoke as I haven't driven on the open roads since the pandemic. I plan to get the EGR and intake manifold cleaned soon to take care of the white smoke issue. It also requires some body work as it dents rather easily. I'm guessing all this may require 70k max at ASC.
The above problems apart the car runs just fine and is literally indestructible and the perfect beater car capable of taking tons of abuse by poor drivers. I still enjoy driving it within the city due to the compact size and ease of parking.

I can get around 4L if I sell now and the replacement will be a Nissan Magnite/Kiger CVT range compact SUV. The auto box is a boon as the primary usage of the new car will be similar to the outgoing Swift.
However, should I choose to retain it, I don't think it'll be easy to find a buyer 15 year old 1L+ run diesel car say 5 years from now when electric cars with their improved ranges will be preferred atleast for in city commuting. I may probably get 1.5 to 2L at best in that scenario and may have to replace a few other parts if they fail during the next 5 years.

So should I retain or sell ? Your thoughts and suggestions please.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 23:32   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
..diesel Swift ZDI with 74k on the odo...
...95% within the city ..once a month drive on NICE road or airport run ...

So should I retain or sell ?
If the usage involved highway runs where reliability becomes a key factor, I would have advised to sell. Any car above 10 years of age can't be relied on irrespective of usage as a thumb rule (there are always exceptions).

Since your usage is largely for City commutes, help in case of reliabiltity issues is always nearby. So it makes sense to continue for atleast upto the 15 year mark.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 18:41   #1118
BHPian

The original post here by GTO always made sense to me but now that I get to that point of 5-year ownership, I'm a little jittery about walking that line. The only reason for that is that my car is a Skoda Rapid DSG @ 56k odo reading. It has served me well, rock-solid, and without any major problems. It has never made me stranded anywhere or put me through those infamous DSG troubles, yet! But now that I pass the 5-yr mark, I'm really worried about its reliability going ahead. As of now, I think I should take my chances and hope that it may serve me fine till 1L km on the odo. Another reason is that there are no good choices for a sedan in terms of highway riding comfort and build quality even if I stretch my budget to a bit on the other side of 20 lakhs. No Fiestas. No Lineas. Not even a Corolla. Honda City is too soft and low, Verna is not so confidence-inspiring on the highways and low on rear-seat space. And that leaves me with Rapid or Vento TSI. Not worth a rehash. Sigh!

Last edited by VinsWagen : 15th September 2021 at 18:43. Reason: Grammatical correction
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 10:20   #1119

To Be or not To Be- My Quandary

Hi All,

When you saw my title, you probably wondered what does Shakespeare have with automobiles. I just used the playwright's famous title to talk of my current state of affairs which is - To Sell or Not to Sell.

I have a 2013 Vento Highline diesel. It has clocked about 52,000KM to date and of that total odometer reading 45,000KM came from long distance travel.
The car is a delight to drive on the highway. The engine has so much to offer and i can cruise literally between 110 and 120 KMPH without even knowing and also have a big smile at the end of a trip seeing my average fuel consumption being between 21 and 23km/ltr and my fuel gauge showing a healthy tank balance.
However in the city (psst-Bangalore), driving the Vento with the heavy clutch has given me some misery to the extent that i decided to avoid using it whenever I had to go to office 16KM away, but as we Bangaloreans calculate distance in time measures, roughly about 1.5 to 2 hours one way and you can see that translates to shifting between 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear.

I had begun to toy with the idea of changing the Vento with an automatic. And it is this very idea, that put me in this Shakespearean situation- To Sell or Not to Sell!
The Vento is 7 years old, engine purring away, the body has a few scratches and a dent over the rear right fender when an overzealous cabbie decided to use the bull-bars of his Sumo to muscle his way when the traffic light became green! All the scratches are also courtesy my fellow Bangaloreans wanting to be the first to move when the light goes green.

I have test driven the new Verna, Creta, Seltos, Compass (out of my budget), Kushaq and paid a pre-booking for the Taigun- I love its looks and the seating position. I thought of 1.0 Taigun, but worry that the engine will loose breath on long runs. After each test-drive, i would look at my shadow blue Vento and wonder whether the change is worth it when compared to my trusty little mule Pepe! .

So dear bhpians, any suggestions to help me - to sell or not to sell.

PS: I do now have a little Alto K10 Auto to help me with small city runs.
Bluey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 08:11   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Car buddies and TBHP veterans, I seek an advice. My Nexon completed 4 years of fantastic service and I have run out of extended warranty. I'm very happy in the Tata ecosystem. And, the car is in showroom condition. But will it continue to be like this is the 'niggling thought' in my head. Should I get myself a new Nexon, as nothing else seems good enough in that segment?
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:54   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Car buddies and TBHP veterans, I seek an advice. My Nexon completed 4 years of fantastic service and I have run out of extended warranty. I'm very happy in the Tata ecosystem. And, the car is in showroom condition. But will it continue to be like this is the 'niggling thought' in my head. Should I get myself a new Nexon, as nothing else seems good enough in that segment?
Only one word, keep it and keep using it unless you’re tired of it and want to sell for that reason alone.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:28   #1122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
. And, the car is in showroom condition. But will it continue to be like this is the 'niggling thought' in my head. Should I get myself a new Nexon, as nothing else seems good enough in that segment?
It will continue to provide excellent service, provided you keep maintaining it as you have.

You definitely should not get a new nexon, unless you have got a lot of extra money to spend.

Modern Tatas can last easily over 2 lakh km. Heck, I have seen tatas from last decade push 2 lakh km mark. My 2009 Sumo Grande is still doing duties to the second owner with 2,10,000 km on odo without any issues.

My 2012 Safari Dicor should be past the 2 lakh km mark, as I sold it at 1.4 lakh km on odo in 2018. I don't have updates on its condition as I am not in touch with the second owner.

I am pretty sure newer tatas will fare even better.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd September 2021 at 11:30.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 18:56   #1123

I have a 2011 Alto k10 which has got only around 40k on the odometer. For the last 7 years working with a company with office within 5 kms from my residence. Occasional high way / hill driving (once in a every 2/3 months) for road trips (within 300 - 600 km up & down).

I am considering upgrade to a new car for the last 2 years but the pandemic ensured I put it on hold. Now I have started pondering (again) on whether to upgrade to a new car or use the alto k10 for another 2/3 years since the car is in excellent condition. On one hand the thrill of purchasing a new bigger, safer car (with all bells & whistles) & on the other hand mind says why get rid of a vehicle which gets the job done and runs well within the city. Being my first car, I also got some emotional attachment to it.

I am in a dilemma on what to do
I cant keep 2 vehicles simultaneously since I got only one parking space & being the sole driver in the family, don't exactly make sense. But yes, space and safety do become a constraint these days during the road trips.
Mind and heart in a tug of war
Old 10th November 2021, 19:21   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz2011 View Post
I have a 2011 Alto k10 which has got only around 40k on the odometer. For the last 7 years working with a company with office within 5 kms from my residence. Occasional high way / hill driving (once in a every 2/3 months) for road trips (within 300 - 600 km up & down).\
For such infrequent and short highway trips don't bother selling the Alto. Just rent a nice car that meets your requirements for space, fun to drive etc (you can even rent a merc or something) every time you go out on drives.

I sold a perfectly good condition scorpio to move to an endeavour but in my defence I do 25-30k km a year and the endeavour is a lot safer as a highway cruiser.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 19:31   #1125
Senior - BHPian

^^+1 to the idea of renting as Suresh sir has suggested.

Few questions:

1) Which segment are you planning to upgrade to? What are the cars in consideration?

2) What is your estimated annual running?

Last edited by self_driven : 10th November 2021 at 19:33.

Most Viewed