Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2022, 16:52   #1141
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Need Advice for rearranging the garage:

Current Cars:
1.) BMW X3 2014 - 77k ODO. Bought it with a lot a thought and heart. Serves very well. Mostly Driven by Me and sometimes the driver. Is the primary highway vehicle.

2.) Hyundai Creta 2017 - 50 K ODO. This one is the petrol AT and does city duties and is car preferred by by 70 yrs old Dad when he wants to self drive. Occasionally does highway duty around the city in which we live. My wife also shares the car with my father for her needs.

3.) i10 Grand - 2015 - 35K ODO. Mostly with the driver and sometimes me. Dad and wife hates it now as its an MT. Serves for errands around the city and kids duties back and forth to classes and what not. Basically a stand by car most of the time as evident from the low ODO figures.

4.) Crarens Diesel AT - 6 Seater 2022 - This is the latest addition as has been bought to keep both my dad and wife as peace as they both used to prefer the Creta for their self drives. With the driver this car serves everyone and opted for diesel as want the car to serve us well as an errand car for long.

Now my dilemma is regarding the X3. I love the car and its diesel. Have been pretty reliable for me barring some hair raising movements in its upkeep and regular maintenance. The car is mostly with me and sometimes the driver. But since he's old school driver and gets overwhelmed with tech loaded cars which need more driver attention and awareness. Dad doesn't drive is and wife rarely takes it out.

I'll will soon go on the wrong side of 40 and want to upgrade to an X5. I don't know whether to sell the X3 or the i10 Grand. Or keep the current setup for another year and than see.

We are a nuclear family with 2 adults - 2 aged parents and 2 growing kids under 10.
I prefer to keep my cars for minimum 7 years and if the car keeps serving me well I keep them for longer. I'm the only Car buff in the family. For the rest its more about point A- to Point B kind off story. Yes the family prefers to have one ultra luxury car in the house though.

I'm really confused as I've been wrestling with this question since a year and cannot get a straight answer. Also I know that after the next decade in my life I too will not be too finicky regarding the cars in the garage as I can already see that happening to me right now though admittedly its creeping up on to me!

I'm a BMW nutcase and would go with a BMW if it fits the bill and requirement. Only thing that will entice me away from the BMW would be the new defender. But getting that into the garage would open another pandora's box!

So any sensible advice on the same would be highly appreciated as I want the dilemma to resolve one way or the other.
abs182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 20:12   #1142

I own a Nov-2010 registered BMW 320D corporate edition (E90 LCI). It’s driven 64000 km. Always serviced at BMW authorised service centres. Corporate tax paid MH01 registration. I bought it under the company car scheme of my first employer and then got the car transferred to my second employer and then again to my wife. Always self driven.

Now I feel the itch to get a new car and I booked one. But the resale value being offered is barely anything. This hurts particularly because a new 320D these days cost nearly 60 lakh on road.

If I choose to retain the car, I know, there may be some costs. Vibration damper, shock absorbers, stabiliser boots, engine mount etc may require to replacements. These things will cost.

Routine maintenance, oil and brake shoe etc is understandable and not a problem. But there are too many unforeseeable big expenses may come up.

What should I do. Sell the car at any price? Or keep it? Any suggestions from experts or other E90 owners?
sankarx2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 21:01   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankarx2 View Post
What should I do. Sell the car at any price? Or keep it?
If the car has only done 64k kms in the last 12 years and has wholly been owned by you, then I would suggest keeping it. Sure more expensive things will require replacement within the next 40k kms, but definitely won't cost as much as buying a new car. Also the E90 is the best driving 3 series of the lot so there's another reason to keep it if you haven't got enough reasons already.

All that said, if you really feel like you need a new car and want to sell yours, sell asap since I personally doubt the used car market will stay this inflated for too long so whatever deal you are getting on your car is probably the best you will get ever.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 23:51   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankarx2 View Post

What should I do. Sell the car at any price? Or keep it? Any suggestions from experts or other E90 owners?
Keep it!

I wrote about my ownership of a high mileage used pre-LCI E90 here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5024836 (Used Luxury Cars might be cheap to buy, but they are expensive to maintain! Any solutions?).

It shows clearly that the one you have is not even past its half life. You know the history and it is a no brainer to hold it.

Just find a nice FNG who works on Bimmers and do the regular maintenance. May be in 10000kms or so you might have to replace the shocks all around. Then you don’t have to worry for the next 70-80000kms on shocks. As long as you do the regular maintenance on BMWs they can last a very long time.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 16th October 2022 at 23:58.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 18:24   #1145

I tried my best to keep my 2010 E90 diesel. But I have been driving it for 12 years. Everyone seems to think that the car can give a problem sooner than later. BMW service person seems to believe a 12-13 year old BMW may have worn out engine mount, stabiliser links and boots, suspension parts, and even vibration damper. Unfortunately, this service person from Navnit wasn't much interested in the car. Didn't bother to respond to some basic queries after the service was over. The cost of service (essentially oil change and overall check up costed me around 15k.

I also checked what is the scrap value of a car. It's just 1 lakh is what Mahindra guys told me. So in 3 years the value of the car will be that.

So I gave up. Nice people responded to my ad on Team BHP classified. Against an asking price of around 6 lakh I got offer of little more than 5 lakh. But then I felt they are going to go to Indi service stations. Whereas BMW would, hopefully, do a proper job on the car before selling. So finally I sold it to BMW.

I always believed, since my bachelor days, a person's character is how he keeps his cars and shoes. And I felt satisfied when I did a last check up of the car before handing over. I even got it washed.

I drove the car exactly 64444 km in 12 years. The car itself never gave me trouble. Not even once. I could not do as much long drive as much as I wanted. But I did do several Pune and two Bangalore trips. The Bangalore trip was done with just two lunch and snacks stops and I didn't feel it was difficult at all.

Major incidents:

1. Once when Mumbai was flooded and three boys were stuck in office and I thought it would be best to drop them on the way home. That was a mistake. I managed to drown the car in 1 ft waterlogged street. It took 6 hours to get the car to be towed to Navnit Andheri. And the towing was done by a Tata 407 and some ropes. It was a horrible experience. I learnt a lot about BMWs and 3 series. And about the dreaded word hydrostatic lock. And Insurance companies. The car came new in 10 days time. No other water damage happened other than a locked engine.

2. Once at Bhiwandi, I drove over a fire hydrant that was jutting out of the freshly tarred road, at night. The front bumper and cooling coils were badly damaged but the car came back new within a week.

3. I drove over a cement brick near Ballard pier once at night and managed to get the suspension damaged. It costed me around 70k.

Apart from these 3 incidents I don't think anything went wrong. The car still has the same halogens and everything. There is some oil leak from one of the pipe joints where the rubber became soggy. I would have replaced that pipe if I kept it.

Maintenance of the car was easy and cheap. The predictive nature of CBS is a big relief. In fact, unless you met with a mishap or unlucky to have some major part failure, this is a cheap car two maintain. However even a minor accident or a part failure can cause havoc to your wallet.

I liked the Bridgestone RFTs. I had a few punctures but never affected my travel plans. They are hard, but they gave me a sense of safety. I will probably stick to RFTs for rest of my life.

I drove this fast and slow. Sometimes at way above legal speeds. But never once I felt the car is not in control. It's the best car made for ordinary people ever. The size is just right. The suspensions are hard but a car guy will like its precision. The steering (2010) was hard but it felt good in hand. Everything about the car was precise.

The car didn't have many gadgets. Like the connected car, ambient light blah blah blah. I loved the fact that it has no alarms above 120 mph. But the car has 6 airbags, and traction control. That and the tight assembly made the car feel very safe.

I never asked the friendly neighbourhood car washer to was the car. To save water and to avoid the swirl marks. Only machine wash. That paid off.

The car was always services at Navnit and Infinity. Once I tried some minor work at a local Gomechanic partner shop and the experience was scary. I would want my BMW serviced by only authorised shops as the car is meant to save life of people.

Do look at the goodbye photos and appreciate this engineering marvel.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.06-pm.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.07-pm-1.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.07-pm.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.08-pm.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.09-pm.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.10-pm-1.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.10-pm-2.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.10-pm-3.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.10-pm.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.11-pm-1.jpeg  

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-whatsapp-image-20221101-10.51.11-pm-2.jpeg  

sankarx2 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 00:51   #1146
BHPian

Hello, I own a 2016 Tiago XZ diesel. The car has run 58500kms+ till date.
This is my first car and I have tried my best to keep it in stock condition and have maintained it well. The car is running fine without any problems. I want to keep this car for the next 6 to 7 years, but subconsciously, I do fear that the car might come up with some major problems(6-7 year old diesel car). Also, if I keep this car for a few more years, it will depreciate to the lowest and will not have any respectable resale value. (present resale value is around 3 lakh)
Should I keep it or sell/lateral upgrade it?
ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-932af6eadeb448b4a5b93d5c9fa37386.png
Old 11th December 2022, 22:19   #1147
BHPian

I drive an 2018 February Registered X1 sDrive20d Xline, the car has completed 1.1 lakh kms in this span. Ownership experience so far has been fairly positive. At the time of Purchase I hadn’t opted for extended warranty and service packages. Extended warranty was later on purchased separately (2 Lakh for 3 years) & service has costed around 4 lakhs till now. In January I have option for purchasing 6th & final year extended warranty at 1.72 lakhs.

Now, the car is due for regular service, front & rear brake pads replacement, insurance is due in February along with warranty in January. All combined l’m looking at spending close to 3.5 lakhs in next two months alone. My yearly running is around 20-25000 kms, which means at least two more paid services in next year.

I am not sure should I spend this much on a car that’s five years old, visited couple of showrooms & fell in love with Audi A6. With X1 fetching around 18-20 lakhs in used car market. My question is Should I keep the car for couple of more years or take the plunge for A6?
Old 18th December 2022, 00:45   #1148

You fell in love. We all know what happens next.

All your calculations and simulations are going to direct you to the A6.

On a serious note, it makes sense to trade the x1 as it has done 1 lakh km already.
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:04   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I own a 2016 Tiago XZ diesel. The car has run 58500kms+ till date.
This is my first car and I have tried my best to keep it in stock condition and have maintained it well. The car is running fine without any problems. I want to keep this car for the next 6 to 7 years
Hey gjnnbagal,

I would suggest you keep the car. A 2016 Tiago is not that old, unless you are planning to upgrade to an SUV or a segment above.

I have a 2016 Ford Figo Aspire and just went through a mid life spruce up with a remap. Feels like a different beast altogether. Sure there would be maintenance costs as the car ages, but that is nothing compared to the capital required for a brand new car. End of the day it is a mind over heart question, feel free to pursue whichever option suits you the most.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 3rd January 2023 at 11:17. Reason: Paragraphing.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 12:04   #1150

Replace or retain | 2011 Ford Figo 1.2 Duratec ZXi

Hi all,
Hope y'all are doing great.

I currently own 2011 Ford Figo 1.2 duratec zxi with 46k on odo. There have been no major issues so far and engine is very smooth without any loss in power, but as my parents are getting aged, we feel there might be a need for a new car with abs and air bags.

Present car is working absolutely fine.
So I'm confused if I should wait for the e20 compatible care to release or go with any used hatch for around 5-6 lakhs.
Current options:
1)Used hatchback (any suggestions welcome except Maruti, dad has trauma with it)
2)new Honda Amaze vx with updated engine
3) run this car for few more years as there's no issues as such with this now

Increasing car prices are making me lean towards buying one now but the e20 fuel rule is changing my mind.

New car budget 10-13 lakhs on road Bangalore.
Used car 5-7 lakhs.

Eager to hear your thoughts
Thank you

Last edited by BiryaniNaan : 19th January 2023 at 12:09.
BiryaniNaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 19:17   #1151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replace or retain | 2011 Ford Figo 1.2 Duratec ZXi

Unless you're worried about safety, I would suggest keeping it & buying a new vehicle when the Figo starts throwing tantrums, or if you face trouble with parts due to Ford's exit.

Anyways the resale value wouldn't be great right now so even if you keep it for a couple more years and sell it later due to non-availability of parts, or niggles that may arise - you wouldn't loose much (if at all!) compared to the interest that the same Rs. 10L would generate over 2 years.

If safety is playing on the back of your mind - especially if it's a highway car or one that does higher speeds often; then I would consider replacing it with a better equipped car & given your parents age : an automatic with slightly better ingress and egress such as the Tata Punch.
Old 5th April 2023, 18:36   #1152

Second Hand Wagon R (2010) in 2023

Members,

I purchased a 2010 Wagon R LX, (34000km) with new tires from 2022 after an inspection from the Showroom which okayed the condition of the engine.

It is a base model which I got for INR 1,00,000/-. Was this a good deal?

My only question is - Should I spend money on modifications in terms of creature comforts and entertainment in my car because there is no other expenditure that the car needs? I am planning on keeping the car for a long time (until the Government compels me to scrape the vehicle), and even though I am an enthusiast when it comes to cars, I don't see myself purchasing a new car, anytime soon.

Would cosmetic changes and expenditure thereof be unnecessary expenditure?
Old 5th April 2023, 19:31   #1153
Team-BHP Support

Re: Second Hand Wagon R (2010) in 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayush_raj View Post
Would cosmetic changes and expenditure thereof be unnecessary expenditure?
I would suggest to keep it as close to stock as possible and maintain it well. Minor spend like a complete inside out detailing is ok, anything more would be a waste.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 12:55   #1154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A PM helps one person, a public post on the forum helps thousands .
So using this as a starting point:

The Storme has done about 1.2L now in 10 years, and of course in good condition. The Gypsy is sharing duty, but it is good for city drives and when I am alone.

Now, should I start thinking of a replacement for the Storme, or stock up the spares and keep it going a few more years ? Spares are just beginning to be hard to get. If I do go this way, then when ever I sell the Storme, the spares will go too - and benefit the buyer. But stocking spares which are unique to the Storme (Not shared with other models that use the same engine) will cost a bit + the storage aspect.

If I do start thinking of a change, then a replacement is going to be hard to find.
Old 11th August 2023, 13:15   #1155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Now, should I start thinking of a replacement for the Storme, or stock up the spares and keep it going a few more years ? Spares are just beginning to be hard to get. If I do go this way, then when ever I sell the Storme, the spares will go too - and benefit the buyer. But stocking spares which are unique to the Storme (Not shared with other models that use the same engine) will cost a bit + the storage aspect.
The other aspect is the current resale value and the future depreciation. If your car is fetching above average resale today, it would make sense to sell it right away than keeping it for longer and investing money on it. On the other hand if its not fetching decent resale, then it would make sense to keep it since it cant go any lower, and instead of spending a huge amount of money on a new car right now, you can invest a bit on some parts and general upkeep to get it going for some more time. My 10 year old SX4 would not fetch very attractive resale and I kept it for three more years and sold it for not much of a further hit. But I didnt have to spend any money on its upkeep apart from periodic maintenance. Hence the decision to continue keeping it was quite sensible.

Stocking spares is not an easy job. In that case I would stock parts based on two aspects, one being how specific it is to the car with no commonality, and two how probable its replacement would be and a bonus being its cost. I am doing this for my bike and have ordered a huge set of hoses, rubber seals, washers and other rubber part which cost quite less and are likely to need replacement due to age.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks