Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 16:57   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

I hope this is the right thread to ask this but I have a 2007 Zen LX, in White, back home in Bangalore. It must have done close to 60,000 km on the odo, not sure. I love it to death and its in immaculate condition, but since I stay out of the Country I was planning to dispose it off on my India visit in June, though we do have a closed parking space. How much do you guys think it will fetch me? Your replies are eagerly awaited and appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 1st May 2012, 20:13   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I hope this is the right thread to ask this but I have a 2007 Zen LX, in White, back home in Bangalore.
Perhaps this is not the right thread. May be you can get some idea in this thread. I remember another thread where there were lot more discussion on used cars. But I just can't get to it now.
Old 1st May 2012, 23:14   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Perhaps this is not the right thread. May be you can get some idea in this thread. I remember another thread where there were lot more discussion on used cars. But I just can't get to it now.
There is one more thread "The "USED" Car Price Check Thread", where you can have a price check --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ck-thread.html
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:38   #454
BANNED

It is indeed very sad to see Indians behaving in a manner very similar to the Americans; almost all businessmen change their cars in 2-3 years, all of them by the 4th year ; and the reason has nothing to do with the condition of the car. It is merely to exploit the tax clause available to them. Why a salaried employee has no tax benefits is impossible to comprehend but then thats another issue altogether.
Cars in general and C segment sedans in particular will last 15 to 20 years with good maintenance. The problems with holding them for that long are:-
a) Image ( imagine driving a Maruti 1000 today)
b) Reliability (breakdowns from material failure, hoses, belts, bearings etc)
c) Availability of spares, body parts, major components and electronics.
d) Safety ( changing notions with time)
e) Pollution norms
Many other issues can be listed .
But all said, I dont see why people cant retain their cars for at least 7-8 years. They wont have to contend with most of the issues I have listed here.
It is shocking to see Civics ( 2007-08) selling for 4 lakhs in Kolkata), Accords for 6 lakhs ( 2008). 2006 C class Mercs for 7 lakhs. Can u imagine Audi Q7s with only 6000 km on odo being sold? I remember a lady doc in Malabar Hill in Mumbai selling a 2 yr old C 200 run 11000 km for 10 L because her husband had bought the new E class and they had only one road parking slot (right! slot not space because its cheaper to distress sell a Merc than buy parking space in South Mumbai where apartments sell @ Rs 30 - 60K per sqft)
The reason for this low resale value is simple. No middle class guy wants to buy a rich man's car and inherits its potential problems like high insurance, hefty maintenance etc ( a set of Bimmer headlights cost upward of a lakh). No rich guy would be seen dead with a used car because in their peer groups there is no way he can pass it of as his 1st hand buy. They ( his peers) will know even if his driver has a boil on his bum. So this is the way the Indians too have embraced the ills of the west and hope to continue on this path thanks to stupid set of economicians who are talking of double digit growth as the panacea for all problems we are confronted with. Did the poor Mahatma walk thousands of miles so that we could behave in this wasteful manner?
Sorry guys , I may have let off more steam than I ought to have but then I have an issue with excessively materialistic people and their methods. I may be rarity in today's gluttonous times but to me even an ipad, ipod and i phone are devices ( not gadgets) that need to be used for at least 6 years.
Do you folks think I'm an old timer? I have spoken out on the vintage cars forum where I thought it wasteful to spend good money restoring a 50s car which will only come out on a rare occasion like a silk saree. I would rather have a 90s car be restored for daily use.
There may be people caught in time warps like me who will agree but more likely that most wont. That is today ! that is what we're up against. Waste!!!
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 00:13   #455
BHPian

Dilemma! To Repair Old Car or to Buy New Car

Friends, I need your opinion on a problem.

I have a Hyundai Verna - 2008 model CRDI SX with ABS which has done 60k kms. This seems to have developed a some constant noise on the suspension - after checking with Sharayu Hyundai, New Mumbai - I am given an estimate of 45k for a suspension overhaul pretty much - this also includes changing the steering rack and pinion column (25 k from the 45 k cost comes from this) - as the service advisor says that there is noise from inside and they cannot repair it - it needs to be replaced. The service center has always given me exemplerary service - so doubt that the service advisor is lying. To add to this, I still have around 2 lakhs left on the car loan. Please note that apart from this suspension problem - the car is a beauty!

Hearing this, I went shopping to evaluate some new cars in the market - I checked out the Polo 1.6 and the Honda Brio. Not looking at a Sedan as I may be moving abroad within a year or two - so making that extra investment did not make financial sense. I am evaluating Petrol cars as I have shifted my residence and my daily running has come down to only 20 kms (to and fro the office). Quite frankly compared to my Verna (even with its suspension sounds) - both these cars failed to completely meet my expectations. The 1.6 had a great suspension, but did not like the feel of the drive (apologies to the current 1.6 owners - this is just my opinion) and the AC failed to cool significantly. The Brio was fun to drive (compared to the 1.6), however the suspension was horrible - you could feel every bump.

To add to the dilema - I am getting a cool 1.4 lakhs discount on some 2011 Polo 1.6s. The warranty etc everything will be from the day I buy the car - so no worries on that. I am also getting a 4.3 lakh quote on my Verna (in as-is condition).

So here is where I need your opinion:

1. Keep the Verna - get the repairs done - overall cost would be around 2.5 lakhs (repairs + after paying the car loan too - ends in June next year)- only worry is that after spending 50 k, the warranty on the repairs would only be for 10k kms / 6 months. And what about the problems with opening the steering column - will the car ever be the same again? Is opening and changing the steering column advisable - even from an authorized A**?

2. Buy the Polo - only skepticism is the after sales service and cost of spares. Also there is some vibrating feeling from all the Polos I drove - didnt like it - the suspension is to die for - but will need to get used to the slow build up of speed - compared to the push back to the seat Verna

3. Buy the Brio - suspension is horrible, but new car, new warranty, Honda engine, reasonably fun to drive etc

Please keep in mind that my wife would be driving the car too - she used to drive but its been years since she drove. Regarding my movement abroad - if my it does not happen, the wife will keep the car, and I could always buy another Sedan next year...

By the way - Not willing to consider a Maruti (with their waiting periods) or a Hyundai (this is my second Hyundai) for a new car...

Mods - Putting a Opinion Poll would really help - Thanks a lot!

Last edited by sirajbose : 15th May 2012 at 00:16.
Old 15th May 2012, 00:23   #456
BHPian

Re: Dilemma! To Repair Old Car or to Buy New Car

If I were you I would have kept the Verna, get the repairs done, pay off the loan and then move abroad after selling it off.

Then go abroad,earn the moolah and come back and get a new one. Why buy a new car when you are sure you would be moving abroad within a year or two. Depreciation is maximum in the initial years.
Old 15th May 2012, 00:59   #457

why not go for another Verna (new model). you can sell the car as is condition, repay the loan and get another loan for the new Verna
or
check with Hyundai for a lower mileage 1-2 yr old second hand car and exchange it. It seems you like the Verna and frankly speaking none of the other cars match up the the " huge grin / feel good" when you floor the pedal.

Can you not claim insurance for the repairs to the steering column? Then repair and keep the same car.....
Old 15th May 2012, 01:07   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this also includes changing the steering rack and pinion column
It I am correct , the old Verna has a hydraulic power steering , right?

I don't believe that the steering rack and pinion could have got worn out in this case.

Why not take a second opinion from a good independent workshop before taking a call ?
Old 15th May 2012, 01:55   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
If I were you I would have kept the Verna, get the repairs done, pay off the loan and then move abroad after selling it off.

Depreciation is maximum in the initial years.
Exactly my thought - but I am very sckeptical whether opening up the car would make things worse. Anyone from the forum who has got this done could share their experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
It I am correct , the old Verna has a hydraulic power steering , right?

I don't believe that the steering rack and pinion could have got worn out in this case.

Why not take a second opinion from a good independent workshop before taking a call ?
Yes, it's got the hydraulic steering. I would love to get a second opinion but don't know good independent workshops in Mumbai.
Old 15th May 2012, 02:12   #460
Team-BHP Support

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place myself.

Should I sell my 8 year old Santro that has done 45k on the ODO, and buy a new Honda Brio, OR

Should I keep my Santro, spend 40k on a new windshield, new wheels & tyres, new suspension components and iron out the dents and buff the scratches.

If I sell my Santro, I'd probably get just about a lakh or so. I could spend that on the down-payment and the rest on the EMI.

The biggest problem I have is funds. The down-payment is alright, but the EMI is going to be a tough one to swallow. My financial position isn't great at the moment.

Phew. Tough one.

For you, I'd say keep your car. If you're relocating to the States, it just doesn't make sense. Depreciation is something you could avoid, a year later when you're trying to sell off your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post

To add to the dilema - I am getting a cool 1.4 lakhs discount on some 2011 Polo 1.6s. The warranty etc everything will be from the day I buy the car - so no worries on that. I am also getting a 4.3 lakh quote on my Verna (in as-is condition).
1.4 lakhs off on a new Polo 1.6?

That's brilliant! Is this a dealer-specific thing? Are they trying to clear out the stock?

Do you have more information on this? I ask, because it can hold clues (discontinuation of the Polo's current engine options)
Old 15th May 2012, 02:35   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it's got the hydraulic steering. I would love to get a second opinion but don't know good independent workshops in Mumbai.
Maybe this should help you

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ar-mumbai.html
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 02:49   #462
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

SIRAJBOSE - Keep the verna

1) It is still less than 5 years old/
2) With repairs it should be as good as new.
3) You have a plan to move abroad and any new car you buy will depreciate very fast. Get the new one later.

SUHAS - Sell the santro and buy another newer PREOWNED car in the 3-4 year age band.
1) It is quite old at 8 years.
2) The world has moved on and the Santro is a really dated technology product today, the newer options would be quite advanced (read safer and more able in in every sense) comparatively.
3) The Santro is already depreciated to to close to null value compared to the original price of the product - you will not loose much by selling it.
4) One does not need to get a totally new car each time and would suggest one gets a car that is still in warranty and had already depreciated enough.

-ve of buying preowned would imply that loan rates and hence EMI's would be very high but if one is sticking to the same segment there could be quite a few good deals available where one just upgrades a bit and pays for the upgrade right out of pocket rather than taking a fresh loan.

Eg- Santro to PREOWNED vehicles that are just about 1-2L more out of pocket.

Or for the time being even sell of the Santro and get a brand new Nano LX - I belive the overall experience would be quite nice.

Yes a radical Idea but why not..
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 05:16   #463
Senior - BHPian

I am also in a similar dilemma, but have for now decided to keep my Baleno. Your Verna is at 60K with is nothing also its quiet new (2008 model), in comparison my Baleno is 7+ years old.

Modern cars are built for much higher odometer reading, 1-2L Kms on a car is normal these days. I already have got the suspension work done on my Baleno and i am quiet happy with the suspensions now.

My suggestion would be to keep it for now, add to this fact you would be moving outside India. Why buy a new car and again sell it after 2 years its a total waste of money.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:00   #464
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html
you might find more info here

ACM, your idea isnt as radical either !
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-car-less.html

Last edited by greenhorn : 15th May 2012 at 08:03.
Old 15th May 2012, 08:45   #465
Team-BHP Support

The thrumming noise could be since your tyres are hardened and worn.

Most Viewed