Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 14:29   #601
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Thanks a lot a4anurag!

Yes, finding a new car leaves me lot of choices/confusions. Being a daily follower of our automobile forums put me in various set of diversions. Knowing a little information is always adds the confusions than some people just go buy one whatever they want( without reading any reviews even checking with people).

Anyway, Keeping this car also put me in some confusions like the Mechanic whoever checked my car saying that engine is really good in condition, it would simply cross 1.2 or 1.3 without any major issues. Since, I've changed the timing belt, I'll not need to worry any other major stuff in near futures. The works i've done with this car very recently,

Clutch change @ 80K
New Tyres @ 69K
Timing belt @ 91K

Oil change( including all filters replacements) on every 5K interval.

Last edited by Jebs : 28th October 2013 at 14:30.
Old 28th October 2013, 15:13   #602
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Thanks a lot a4anurag!

Anyway, Keeping this car also put me in some confusions like the Mechanic whoever checked my car saying that engine is really good in condition, it would simply cross 1.2 or 1.3 without any major issues. Since, I've changed the timing belt, I'll not need to worry any other major stuff in near futures. The works i've done with this car very recently,

Clutch change @ 80K
New Tyres @ 69K
Timing belt @ 91K

Oil change( including all filters replacements) on every 5K interval.
That is pretty good feedback from the mechanic and as he says the newer generation cars can do 1.5 L kms without a concern if maintained properly.

I am yet to change the clutch on my car. Tyres were changed at 61K kms. Oil and filter changes are as per schedule. I too used to change both every 5K when the car was new till 30K kms, post which manufacturer's schedule.

Anurag.
Old 30th October 2013, 10:07   #603
BHPian

I am still loyal to my Esteem Vxi 2005 model. I got a full body paint job done with all minor dents patched up, exterior polish, interior clean-up, et al.

Removed the seat covers after 8 years and I still have the original uphostery looking brand new.

She has done just 24000 kms - I know, 'sparingly used' would be politically correct, but petrolheads would probably say something else!

Just getting my right side mirror replaced, I broke it accidentally while trying to fold it in :-(

My tyres are also splitting around the rim, so am getting them replaced this week. Can I get some advice on which would be the optimum choice? I intend to keep the car for atleast another 3yrs. Should I go in for some ordinary tubed tyres costing about 3200 or should I opt for tubeless that costs close to 4k per tyre?
Old 30th October 2013, 10:31   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
I am still loyal to my Esteem Vxi 2005 model. I got a full body paint job done with all minor dents patched up, exterior polish, interior clean-up, et al.
Good to know that you are still maintaining your 8 year old Esteem.

Quote:
My tyres are also splitting around the rim, so am getting them replaced this week. Can I get some advice on which would be the optimum choice? I intend to keep the car for atleast another 3yrs. Should I go in for some ordinary tubed tyres costing about 3200 or should I opt for tubeless that costs close to 4k per tyre?
Have all the rims closely inspected. I am assuming you are on steel rims, which are prone to rusting or bending over time. If the rims are in perfect shape, you can go for tubeless tyres. If not then you would be better off with the tubed tyres. I changed all of the 5 tubed type tyres after 63K kms & went for tubeless, but then I also changed the steel rims to alloys, since the rims were bent at some places & there were also rust spots. Rusting can lead to pin-holes & the tubeless tyres won't be able to retain the air between the tyre inner surface & the rim outer surface.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 30th October 2013 at 10:33.
Old 30th October 2013, 12:28   #605
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting thread. When I bought my Swift ZXi three years ago , I pretty much didnt have any financial burdens and responsibilities , and could afford to buy one without any financial assistance from banks.
Since then though, a lot has changed, and I dont see myself changing/upgrading my car anytime soon. Infact, I gradually started winding down my usage too, and as a result now the car has clocked just 21k so far.
As of now, the plan is to keep it for 10 years/1 L KMs, ie, 6.5 more years. Plan to keep it in good nick , and going by reputation of Swifts (though not sure of the K12 engine, since there are so few of them to begin with) , might easily give me headache free service for my planned ownership tenure.
Old 7th March 2014, 17:04   #606
BHPian

There is one more angle to it GTO. Lets say i own a Maruthi 800 which runs in the Karnataka registration and i decide to move to my native TamilNadu and vice versa(Classic examples ). I would sell off my 800 here in KA for the primary reason of peace of mind(Images of TN/KA police running in my head). NOC and stuff is again a complication and a lump some amount. Just looking at it this way.
Old 22nd March 2014, 09:26   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
Going by this thread, our SX4 turned five this january. However it has run just 27k kms due to the fact that it isnt used on a daily basis. Either me or my dad uses it once in two three days. Regarding keeping it or selling it is a very tricky situation for us.

Mechanically, its in perfect condition. Nothing unusual, no rattles, squeaks or issues ti report. Also, the car has been serviced in time and not even on time say 11 months or 5k odd kms. Now since I am not sure whether we ll decide to sell the car or keep it, I was wondering if there was a midlife refresh I could give it. If yes, what way could it be done? I thought of detailing but that too happens regularly, once a year from a professional service and once in two months from my side. Hence interiors and exteriors are in good state too. Tyres have good tread left in them but as a precautionary measure, they will be replaced soon.

Well, speaking about replacement, we do have some relatives who drop in quite frequently. Hence in that case we have to use both cars for going around. Forget running costs, but if drives are longer, its more fun together. Hence, there is this random thought of getting an MUV to replace the SX4. Hence, that could happen too. However I am still sitting on the fence on this issue. Firstly, selling a petrol sedan these days fetches pathetic resale. Secondly, I feel its not worth putting 5+ lacks for an Ertiga. If we have to move up a segment to an XUV, again it will take double the amount.
Mobilio feels like a superb option, but since its based on the Brio, whose interiors are a disappointment, I think the mobilio will not be so good on the interiors part. However I can bet on the engine eyes closed. If Honda offers good kit on the car, then it will be a strong option for us.

What do you guys think regarding such a situation?
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:14   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hey guys,
If I were you, I would keep the SX4. May be spice up a little with alloys, tubeless tyres, GPS etc; if not already fitted with. New seatcovers, if the old ones have worn out, etc. will add up to the desirability of the car for you.

IMO, SX4 is a very capable car. It's big and more daring than other regular sedans. The high ground clearance gives it possibilities where many sedans can only dream of going. Plus, it is backed up by Japanese reliability and huge network of MSIL. And not to mention again, it has most of the juice still left in it as it has not even completed 30K kms. My word will be to keep it.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:46   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with your thoughts. Thanks for sharing them.

The interiors are decked with Nappa Leather which hasnt shown a single wear and tear mark till date. So I would keep it as it is.

Alloys are OE and will continue to be. The tyres are tubeless itself and will be replaced shortly. I am considering an upgrade of ICE and that will happen once the mobilio is launched and we come to a final decision regarding the car. Currently, the Ertiga doesnt fascinate me since I am used to the SX4 and the performance or high speed manners of the Ertiga is not as impressive as my SX4. Also apart from an MID, there is nothing more the Ertiga offers compared to my SX4. There is no climate control too. So when it comes to kit, it is a total disappointment. If the Mobilio also follows the same trend, we will not upgrade, and after two more years we shall jump a segment higher itself. So thats the agenda as of now. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 22nd March 2014, 11:03   #610
BHPian

Quote:

One option is to go for a petrol ertiga which similar to your sx4 petrol, has low resale value.
Old 24th March 2014, 19:37   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
One option is to go for a petrol ertiga which similar to your sx4 petrol, has low resale value.
Though the price difference between petrol and diesel ertiga is a little attractive, I have driven both the petrol and diesel ertiga and the extra torque of the diesel does help compared to the petrol when it comes to driveability. The diesel itself is not so powerful, but at least a lot better than the petrol. On top of that the diesel doesnt burn a hole in the pocket when it comes to fuel bills. Based on our usage, the usual math done always points towards buying a petrol car, and thats why we have two of them. But if at all I finalise on changing the car, it will be a diesel one that will follow.

Since we dont take loans while buying, paying a lakh and odd extra wont hurt much, especially because in the end of five years or so, the diesel car will return the same premium when we decide to sell it. At least the current market trends show that.

But to sum up, this five year car thing is a dilemma no doubt On one hand, there are too less reasons to sell the current car. Looking forward to changes in the MUV market so that we can take a call. Currently, Ertiga and Mobilio are in the list but both seem to disappoint me in some way. The only other beast is the XUV which again is a lot expensive, and at the same time I am worried about the long term reliability of the complex gadgets in that car. Keeping a close watch on the market as of now!
Old 24th March 2014, 20:38   #612
BANNED

Quote:
Currently, Ertiga and Mobilio are in the list but both seem to disappoint me in some way.
I do recommend the Ertiga ZDi if and when you decide to buy.

But can I know in what ask ways does the Ertiga disappoint you?

Anurag.
Old 10th April 2014, 19:25   #613
D4D
BHPian

A 7 year old Getz at 49000km, Sell or Keep?

Hello fellow BHP-ians,
I need your advice on the keeping or selling my Getz as I feel it is at the cross-roads.

I have a 2006 Getz GLS(with the 1.3 l petrol) which is my city car. And I am in two minds, whether to sell or keep? My heart tells me to keep it but mind tells to sell it.

Here's why:

Reasons not to sell:
->I don't think there's another hatchback(barring Liva and expesive i20) which can seat 5 well built adults.
->The car has served me 49000 kms without a problem(with routine maintenance) and going by other user reviews, I think it can survive another 5 years
->New car price
->My use is not much- 500 km in city a month/6000 km a year

Reasons to sell:
->Mileage-gives only 9.5 to 10 kmpl in the city
->Hyundai SA tells me that the following things need to be replaced:
-Cross member
-Clutch Plate

->Hyundai service is expensive, especially changing engine oil every year
->Will there be spares available in 5 years' time, especially the camshaft for the four cylinder 12V SOHC engine(the most unique engine)?
->Will gearbox oil need to be changed after 10 years?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 11th April 2014, 20:05   #614
D4D
BHPian

Getz at crossroads, sell or keep?

Hello BHP-ians,

I need your advice on whether I must sell or keep my 7 year old Getz.
Let me start with the details of your car:
->It's a Aug'06 model, closing in on being 8 years old
->49000 Kms done
->Used only in city
->4 Tyres changed at 45000 km
->It's a 1.3 l petrol engine
->GLS(Just a notch below the top trim)

Reasons to keep the car:
->Served me without any problem for so many years(with scheduled maintenance) and going by reviews on the forum, I think it can serve me for another 5 years
->I need space for 5 adults to travel, no other hatchback(except Liva and expensive i20) has the space Getz has
->I'm only willing to spend Rs.2.5 lakh (plus resale value of Getz, which may go for Rs. 2 lakh) for a new vehicle
->Only 500 km use a month, driven by mom

Reasons to sell car:
->The SA says crossmember is rusted and clutch needs replacement at next service
->Worried about timing belt change, Gearbox oil change(Required? )
->Spares availability, especially the unique single camshaft which control 3 valves per cylinder

I'm confused about the period when I'll get the best resale value, considering the Petrol price hikes now and the narrowing of running cost between petrol and diesel car in future.

Thanks in Advance
Old 12th April 2014, 11:08   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Hello fellow BHP-ians,
I need your advice on the keeping or selling my Getz as I feel it is at the cross-roads.

I have a 2006 Getz GLS(with the 1.3 l petrol) which is my city car. And I am in two minds, whether to sell or keep? My heart tells me to keep it .

It would not make financial sense to change your car at Less than 50k S your running is very less.

I doubt you'll need a camshaft change under 1 lakh kms of use..

Repairing the worn out parts will be cheaper.

On the other hand if you're just bored and want a change, go ahead. I'd advise you to wait a year or two though if you keep cars for the long term.

Next generation cars like the jazz, i20 replacement, swift replacement, tata Vista replacement will be a step higher in evolution. You'll be better served to wait a couple of years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks