Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 19:50   #751

Replacement for a 7 year old Honda City

So my trusty Honda city, bought in Feb 2009, is now 7 years and 124,000 km old.. Still running fine, did not have to spend any money on major repairs so far, but now the Honda Service centre guys are telling me, now you will have to start incurring major expenses - 60k on the suspension to start with, work on the clutch etc, so better to sell it (they say I will get 3 lacs) and buy a new City or Amaze

I have a chauffeur, mostly driving in the city, but once or twice a month to Pune.. so my thoughts were to just go for the City again, but I thought, am I doing the right thing? THe City was launched more than 10 years ago, so should I look at some other newer car maybe? Better technology, design, maybe? Any suggestions?

Outside of office hours, its mu driver, me, my wife and 14 year old son in the car, my mother joins in sometimes. We need a big boot since lots of luggage is moved around.

The other option is to pull along with my current car for a few more years and pray that no major expense comes up. For how many more years/km do you think I can pull along with the current car?

Would appreciate the expert advice/guidance from Team-BHP members.. stay with the car or exchange/upgrade to a new one!

THanks in advance!

Cheers
Peter
Old 8th March 2016, 20:27   #752
BHPian

Do take a second opinion before selling the car. A good FNG in your area can give you a fresh perspective. Also take into account expenses that can occur on your OHC vs potential expenses of a new one. IMHO if you haven't faced any major problems in your car you should use it instead of opting for a new one. There is a whole thread on why you should retain your old car. Also, a forum member who sold his old city and bought a new one ended up selling the new city because of the gremlins that popped up within an year of ownership. You should read that thread (forgive me for not putting any links as I am on mobile at the moment)
RocketRaccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 20:36   #753
BHPian

Re: Replacement for a 7 year old Honda City

If the only reason for you to think about selling this car is not wanting to incur the major expense which might come your way, then I would suggest sticking with the current car.

A simple maths calculation tells me this:

Selling price of the Old Car - 3.5 Lacs (50K more than what was quoted by the mechanics)
New Car Price - 8.0 Lacs (The lowest - If at all you chose to go with the Amaze, this amount increases if you go with a new city or any other full blown sedan)

So you spend at least 4.5 lacs from your pocket if you buy a new car, and if you chose to retain the current car I am sure you wont spend even half of 4.5 lacs and the current car should be good to go with another 50K kms.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 8th March 2016 at 20:37.
Engine_Roars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 18:39   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertheo View Post
So my trusty Honda city, bought in Feb 2009, is now 7 years and 124,000 km old.. Still running fine, did not have to spend any money on major repairs so far, but now the Honda Service centre guys are telling me, now you will have to start incurring major expenses - 60k on the suspension to start with, work on the clutch etc, so better to sell it (they say I will get 3 lacs) and buy a new City or Amaze

I have a chauffeur, mostly driving in the city, but once or twice a month to Pune.. so my thoughts were to just go for the City again, but I thought, am I doing the right thing? THe City was launched more than 10 years ago, so should I look at some other newer car maybe? Better technology, design, maybe? Any suggestions?

Outside of office hours, its mu driver, me, my wife and 14 year old son in the car, my mother joins in sometimes. We need a big boot since lots of luggage is moved around.

The other option is to pull along with my current car for a few more years and pray that no major expense comes up. For how many more years/km do you think I can pull along with the current car?

Would appreciate the expert advice/guidance from Team-BHP members.. stay with the car or exchange/upgrade to a new one!

THanks in advance!

Cheers
Peter
You should look at an independent mechanic if you want to keep your car without spending a bomb. The ASS charges will be exorbitant.
You can get good spares at very reasonable costs. Suspension parts like bushes, linkers etc are a fraction of what it would cost at the ASS.

I am sure clutch part would also be available. I am also maintaining my 6.5 yr old civic run around 100K, and have been getting suspension and other small repairs done at an fng.
Do get an advice from outside along with an estimate of impending repairs before taking a decision.
Civic as a car is very r.eliable and should not be a major problem to maintain

rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 20:18   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So my trusty Honda city, bought in Feb 2009, is now 7 years and 124,000 km old.. Still running fine, did not have to spend any money on major repairs so far, but now the Honda Service centre guys are telling me, now you will have to start incurring major expenses - 60k on the suspension to start with, work on the clutch etc, so better to sell it
If you are happy with your car and have no re occuring issues better keep her. All present day engines run well upto 4-5 lakh km, keep a decent amount aside and whenever your car is due for next tyre change, also change the suspension, service the Ac, and get internal cleaning done and if and only if the clutch has started slipping or is heavy change it at that time too. Combined feel of a new suspension , tyres and clutch at the same time makes a car crisp and almost as good as new.
Net amount will be at the most a lakh which is far less than what you will spend on replacing.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 21:16   #756
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:

THanks in advance!

Cheers
Peter
The 2009 gen Honda City is a very capable vehicle with better build quality than the current model.

There is no change in terms of the petrol engine in both models & diesel engine is too noisy & has questionable build quality.

Do not even think of selling your City or plan to get the existing model!
Even if your car needs suspension overhaul, then go to outside garage to make the repairs. After the car crosses 5 years mark then for all major repairs, IMO, one should visit neighborhood garage instead of regular service stations.

Don't fall in the trap of showroom/service guys telling you to buy a new car because your current car is aging. That's the strategy they always use to make the owner feel insecure and inferior about his car and end up selling to get a new one just for the sake of having a new car!

Also when we consider the age of current gen - (launch in Jan 2014), new model will be available by late 2018/early 2019. That will be the time to buy a new City.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 14:53   #757
BHPian

Guys, a twisted question - if someone can put in few words !

Swift ZXI 2006 Sep Model - close to 1.8Lakh Kms run

Should I get the following done and keep it for 2 or 3 years more ?
Or sell it now without spending anything, and buy an Alto AMT or Celerio AMT ?

- Full body paint/few panels for dents and all
- Suspension work
- New tires

I am expecting all the above to come down to approx 30K.

Any brilliant thoughts
Old 13th April 2016, 17:25   #758
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post

- Suspension work
- New tires

Any brilliant thoughts

The old Swift ZXi is a classic now. I would say get it revamped nicely and keep it. It is a brilliant car. The new ones don't come close. The older classic design was always best. As were those original alloys!
Old 13th April 2016, 17:26   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Suspension work
- New tires

Any brilliant thoughts
Decarbonize the engine, replace shocks, springs, suspension linkages, get the steering, gearbox and brake rotors checked, check and adjust the valves, replace oil filter, oil, coolant, brake fluid, air filter etc. Basically do all the mechanical work first, then think about body work unless you have any rusting going on
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 21:28   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Decarbonize the engine, replace shocks, springs, suspension linkages, get the steering, gearbox and brake rotors checked, check and adjust the valves, replace oil filter, oil, coolant, brake fluid, air filter etc. Basically do all the mechanical work first, then think about body work unless you have any rusting going on
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The old Swift ZXi is a classic now. I would say get it revamped nicely and keep it. It is a brilliant car. The new ones don't come close. The older classic design was always best. As were those original alloys!
Thanks guys for replies!
Your comments reconfirmed my hidden intention to keep this for next couple of years, spend some $$$ on it, and keep it for near-by errands. Though this thinking is quite opposite of other family members - as per them, it would be a black hole, keep on spending money on it, and something or the other would fail.
Old 14th April 2016, 15:14   #761

Repair the current Linea MJD or replace?

I had given my 2009 May Fiat Linea for some body work and also servicing. I has run 90000 KM. After the body work, guys at service center (AADYA Motors, Bangalore) called me up and said coolant and engine oil have got mixed. When I went for inspection, I could notice that oil had got completely mixed up and the coolant tank looked as if it was filed with grease . After further investigation, they informed me that there is a head gasket failure and the total repair cost including labor is 130,000.
Also when I checked online and asked some dealers & brokers, the estimated resale value of a good condition/well maintained fiat Linea of 2009 is between 2,50,000 to 3,00,000. One dealer is valuating my car for 1,75,000 in as-is condition.

Now the question is, should I go ahead and sell this vehicle in as-is condition and buy a new one (thinking about City or Ciaz) or payup 1,30,000 and run the vehicle for another year or two?

Looking for some suggestions and expert opinions.
Old 14th April 2016, 19:35   #762
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Thanks guys for replies!
Your comments reconfirmed my hidden intention to keep this for next couple of years, spend some $$$ on it, and keep it for near-by errands. Though this thinking is quite opposite of other family members - as per them, it would be a black hole, keep on spending money on it, and something or the other would fail.
Maruti vehicles, if looked after well and if like you, one is the first, single owner, rarely ever fail and create black holes of expenditure. So I think you need not worry on that.
Old 14th April 2016, 20:52   #763
Team-BHP Support

Re: Repair the current Linea MJD or replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandith View Post
I had given my 2009 May Fiat Linea for some body work and also servicing. I has run 90000 KM. After the body work, guys at service center (AADYA Motors, Bangalore) called me up and said coolant and engine oil have got mixed. When I went for inspection, I could notice that oil had got completely mixed up and the coolant tank looked as if it was filed with grease . After further investigation, they informed me that there is a head gasket failure and the total repair cost including labor is 130,000.
Also when I checked online and asked some dealers & brokers, the estimated resale value of a good condition/well maintained fiat Linea of 2009 is between 2,50,000 to 3,00,000. One dealer is valuating my car for 1,75,000 in as-is condition.

Now the question is, should I go ahead and sell this vehicle in as-is condition and buy a new one (thinking about City or Ciaz) or payup 1,30,000 and run the vehicle for another year or two?

Looking for some suggestions and expert opinions.
Is this the A.S.S. that has given you a quote for 1.3 l? Why don't you check a local mechanic (Bangalore has a bunch of trusted FNGs as you can find the TBHP directory).

If even the FNG gives you a similar quote, it doesn't make sense retaining the car: 1.75 l is the value you get for the car as-is and you say 2.5 l is what you'd get for a very well maintained one. The diff. is 75k while your repairs will cost almost double.

The quote a FNG gives you should help clear the plan of action.
Old 14th April 2016, 22:08   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for replies!
Don't get swayed by your family members. They don't have the benefit of this forum. I have always argued back with mine.

As others have said, Maruti cars last long, if due care is taken. All you need to do is get it serviced regularly, and change parts at the prescribed intervals.

To cite an example, my WagonR is going to complete 15 years this July end. It has around 78000 kms on the odo, and is being used mainly by my wife over the past few years. It's been very pocket-friendly. Apart from the annual service that costs around 6 k, i had to change the clutch plates last month for around 7 k. And in the last 7 years I had to change the front struts, brake pads, lower arms, drive shafts, seat covers, tyres and ICE.

All the above cost me below 50 k, including the recent clutch plates. And that amount was spread over 7 years! Works out to around 7 k a year, apart from normal service of 6 K a year. So it works out to a little over 1 K a month. A new car will set you back around 16 to 20 times that amount!

The car still works like a charm and is as good as new, save a few rattles here and there, which I can live with.
Old 14th April 2016, 22:38   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Maruti vehicles, if looked after well and if like you, one is the first, single owner, rarely ever fail and create black holes of expenditure. So I think you need not worry on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Don't get swayed by your family members. They don't have the benefit of this forum. I have always argued back with mine.

As others have said, Maruti cars last long, if due care is taken. All you need to do is get it serviced regularly, and change parts at the prescribed intervals.
Well said my friend ...well said indeed. I'll wait for Sep 2016, which would mark it completing 10 years, and will then get it verified by local known mechanic to get an estimate. I am assuming, if I replace all the major known problem areas + servicing, it should not cost me more than 20K. Plus 3K*4 for new tires.

Coming to think of it, just located my long lost thread on ownership for this swift - have to update it

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ationship.html

Do we have a list of everything which I can get checked/replaced ? A rough list which one can think of apart from normal servicing ?

- Engine Oil
- Oil Filter
- Spark Plugs
- Coolent
- Gear Oil
- Brake Fluid
- Brake Shoes depending on wear
- Engine De-carbonisation (not sure if neighborhood mechanic knows or heard about it )
- Engine mount change
- Throttle Cleanup
- Injector Cleanup
- Air Filter
- Replace all 4 shockers
- Replace boot lid gas struts

More I can add in this list ?! !

Most Viewed