Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2016, 12:36   #766

Re: Repair the current Linea MJD or replace?

Thank you libranof1987 for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is this the A.S.S. that has given you a quote for 1.3 l? Why don't you check a local mechanic (Bangalore has a bunch of trusted FNGs as you can find the TBHP directory).
Yes this is a quote by A.S.S, I am checking with a few local mechanics and am awaiting exact quotes from them. But general agreement seems to be between 60 K to 1 L.
Old 20th April 2016, 05:13   #767
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Agree to the sentiments on this thread. In my case my wife is supportive of deferring the purchase. We tour much lesser on the swift. Its done 130k km in 7.5 years and feels good for another 2-3 years. Many of my friends have newer / nicer cars but I have so much fun driving the Swift I don't really want to upgrade.

The minor updates in terms of suspension and axle work have been done now as well so those worries don't plague us anymore.

Think about it - by changing your car once in 8-10 years, you avoid so much pollution by junking one less car.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 09:49   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Decarbonize the engine, replace shocks, springs, suspension linkages, get the steering, gearbox and brake rotors checked, check and adjust the valves, replace oil filter, oil, coolant, brake fluid, air filter etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
- Engine Oil
- Oil Filter
- Spark Plugs
- Coolent
- Gear Oil
- Brake Fluid
- Brake Shoes depending on wear
- Engine De-carbonisation (not sure if neighborhood mechanic knows or heard about it )
- Engine mount change
- Throttle Cleanup
- Injector Cleanup
- Air Filter
- Replace all 4 shockers
- Replace boot lid gas struts

More I can add in this list ?! !
Read some threads here stating that it is not recommended to go for engine decarbonisation ?

Anyone has got this done with significant improvement ?
or as a cheaper alternate, do you happen to know a good additive to be added to petrol for cleaning the engine out ?
Old 27th April 2016, 09:51   #769
Senior - BHPian

My aim currently is to see how many years i can keep the Jetta. I have seen the TDI forums for 300K miles. I want to be part of that club

So thats like another 15 years. Unless GOVT makes it mandatory to trash an old car, i am going to push the limits. I am slowly resorting to sedate driving and staying happily in cruise mode all the time.
Old 27th April 2016, 10:18   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am slowly resorting to sedate driving and staying happily in cruise mode all the time.
No wonder you are getting yourself the rc390 lol! All that pent up frustration has to be let loose somewhere!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 12:45   #771
BHPian

I have a 5+ years old Linea and lately I thought of upgrading to a 'bigger' AT. Note that neither I am fond of showing off nor my Linea had any issue whatsoever.
The main reason I wanted to buy an AT car was because my Linea clutch had become hard and it took a toll on my knee in city drives.

But before plunging good amount of $$ into an AT SUV (new endeavour was shortlisted), I thought of thinking differently and here is what I did-

- Spent 40k on linea and got the entire clutch assembly and gear assembly replaced. This made my car feel as good as new and now it is not a pain for my knees.
- Spent 4 lakhs and bought a used reva e2o for city drives.
- Controlled my emotions for Endy and spiritually settled with problem-free Linea

A new endy would have set me back by approx 30 lakhs. My Linea would have fetched max 5 lakhs.
But with this new plan, for another 4.5 lakhs I was able to retain my 2010 spec T-Jet (read sporty acceleration) and own one more environment, pocket, knee and wife friendly car
Speed Pujari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 13:55   #772
ada
BHPian

Seven years of Ritz and now an itch

Seven years ago and with the help of this forum I narrowed down on Maruti Suzuki Ritz ZXI -- white, initial review here --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...te-review.html Though mileage wise it has just crossed 45k (not much running). This is my third Maruti my earlier maruti's all begun to rattle 3rd year onwards. This car is remarkably built (might be true of all Ritz and maybe the newer generations Maruti), even after seven years there is hardly a rattle (and Iam not a driver who is easy on the car). The engine is as good and eager as it was ages ago, as I called in my initial review 2nd and 3rd gears are rocket gears. Currently I am doing rounds of various car dealerships for trial and the only one who can match my Ritz's acceleration is VW polo GT, not even i20, baleno, both offered nothing above my Ritz in terms of power. After all the dealership round I'am wondering whether getting a new car and spending lakhs would be a good idea. Fuel efficiency is in the range of 13/14 kmpl in city, upto 15 on highways. The only one niggle I find in my car is that just below the window beading there are faint signs of rusting, maybe that has got to do with the hard water cleaners use.

In these seven years I have replaced tires in the sixth year, and battery in the 5th year.

So if I decide to keep my car, please give me ideas on what add-ons will keep the excitement going. Till now other then an OBD (that too gifted) I have not added anything extra.

Last edited by ada : 11th June 2016 at 13:59. Reason: grammatical error
ada is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 15:20   #773
BHPian

Re: Seven years of Ritz and now an itch

This is a dilemma, I think, majority of enthusiasts face at least once in their lifetime. I have gone through the same for my Verna, but after evaluating the current engines on offer, decided to continue with the Fluidic Verna till the 1.5 Lac km mark at least.

C9ming to your post, first of all, I do not agree that Ritz Petrol is exactly 'fast' as I have driven the Swift for a respectable number of kms and I have a Dzire also, with the same engine. From my experience, one thing I believe is that Petrol engines are good performers only when we revv the hell out of them. The low end (and even mid in some cars) is not at all acceptable in some small capacity petrol engines (like Ritz, Swift as well as Toyota Petrols). There is a definite lack of power/surge below 2k RPM in Ritz's motor. The 2nd and 3rd gear can be termed rocket gears when the RPMs are high (around the 3k+ RPM mark). Below 3k RPM, the performance can be best described as acceptable, or good enough in some cases. If you drive a Turbocharged Diesel and NA Petrol back to back, you will find that Diesels are much better when it comes to enjoying the initial acceleration. For instance, the 2nd gear of Swift DDIS is brutal when the revvs are in the turbo zone. The Ritz/Swift Petrol is sluggish in comparison unless one redlines in 1st cog reach 25-30 kmph at least from where 2nd cog can offer reasonable boost. The NA Petrol engines do not stand a chance in these cases of comparison with Diesel engines. It is the top speed (refinement and revv-happy nature as well) where petrol engines shine. For acceleration (without ripping the car), I will pick a Diesel engine eyes closed.

Anyway, since you have already made up your mind to go ahead with the Ritz, I will not discuss much. I would not advice a GT TSI if you are looking for acceleration-only, the Figo Diesel or Punto Abarth (only if you don't like the Figo) would be better value for money anyday and will be at par with the GT in normal road scenarios. Go for the TSI if you are sold on the DSG transmission and the plush feel that comes with it. Otherwise, there are many Diesel cars which will offer better acceleration than your Ritz. And do not eliminate Diesel cars because of your running, nowadays maintenance is similar in both the fuel types and if you use your car regularly (15 kms everyday is absolutely fine), you will not face any problem even with a Diesel engine. My relative's Diesel Fortuner has done only 28k kms in 4 years and our Petrol Dzire used to do 3k kms a month in the early years. Both have had no engine problems, due to more or less use.

Since you come from a Ritz (and Marutis in the past), Ford and Fiat quality will keep you happy. If you are not excited by any of the current cars on offer, you can stick with the Ritz for now and wait for future launches like Baleno Boosterjet and so on. Till then, you can involve in basic inexpensive DIYs to control your upgrade-itch.

You can spruce up the following 3 things if you plan to sell your car in the next 3-5 years (which I assume you will) -

1. ICE (Better speakers, dual sub, mono amps for the sub, fiberglass enclosure, custom tweeter pods, etc.. This will keep you occupied for years to come if you decide to do it stage-wise and these can be shifted to your next car as well)
2. Exterior (Bodykit, projectors, lighting modifications, different alloys, etc.)
3. Interior (Better upholstery, better interior lighting, etc.)

Keep a distance from modifications that will affect the resale value, like performance mods or extreme bodywork. Also keep in mind that you do not spend extensively, as I believe this itch will come back in the next 2-3 years also and you will have better options to satisfy it as well (Baleno Boosterjet being a major one).

I hope you would have gone through the below thread already. If not, please do.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html

PS. Sorry if I sound a bit confused in my post. Multi-tasking (eating, TV, thinking and typing) isn't my forte.

Last edited by biggrin : 11th June 2016 at 15:36. Reason: formatted for readability
Old 11th June 2016, 15:45   #774
BHPian

I believe that the car that might be to your liking would be the Baleno 1.0 Boosterjet.

If you intend to keep the car for longer, look at the following things.

1. ICE with dampening. That should help with the rattles too a little.
2. Interior upholstery
3. Exterior DRLs

As your running is less, you might even consider some performance mods
Old 11th June 2016, 16:40   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
The engine is as good and eager as it was ages ago, as I called in my initial review 2nd and 3rd gears are rocket gears. Currently I am doing rounds of various car dealerships for trial and the only one who can match my Ritz's acceleration is VW polo GT, not even i20, baleno, both offered nothing above my Ritz in terms of power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
Coming to your post, first of all, I do not agree that Ritz Petrol is exactly 'fast' as I have driven the Swift for a respectable number of kms and I have a Dzire also, with the same engine.
The low end (and even mid in some cars) is not at all acceptable in some small capacity petrol engines (like Ritz, Swift as well as Toyota Petrols). There is a definite lack of power/surge below 2k RPM in Ritz's motor. The 2nd and 3rd gear can be termed rocket gears when the RPMs are high (around the 3k+ RPM mark). Below 3k RPM, the performance can be best described as acceptable, or good enough in some cases.
Having driven the first gen Ritz petrol I can vouch for each word which ada has mentioned regarding the engine response of that car. The first gen K series engine was a true driver's delight in terms of throttle response. Even in lower rpms it doesn't feel sluggish at all.
And currently having a Swift VVT, which is a reworked K series engine, I can vouch what biggrin has said regarding this engine

For the sake of improved FE, Maruti took away the fun factor from this engine. Low end was compromised a lot and though the mids and highs are still good but definitely feels timid than the First gen K-Series.

Ada, my advice would be to keep this car for a while just for that engine and maybe spruce up your ride with some good alloy wheels, seat covers, sound dampening and all.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 11th June 2016 at 16:44.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 16:51   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Having driven the first gen Ritz petrol I can vouch for each word which ada has mentioned regarding the engine response of that car. The first gen K series engine was a true driver's delight in terms of throttle response even in lower rpms. It doesn't feel sluggish at all.
And currently having a Swift VVT, which is a reworked K series engine I can vouch what biggrin has said regarding this engine
Oh I thought that the same Petrol engine has been doing duty in the Ritz since the beginning.

I didn't knew that the earlier and current engine had so much difference in character. I take my words back if that is the case since my comments were based on the Swift (launched in 2011-12) I have driven. Obviously I have no intention to defame a car/engine I haven't experienced.
biggrin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 17:03   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
Obviously I have no intention to defame a car/engine I haven't experienced.
Lol. We are sure it isn't the case Try and get hold of a decently maintained first gen Ritz or Swift without the VVT moniker on its fenders and post your impressions.
Old 11th June 2016, 19:48   #778
ada
BHPian

Thanks all for all your advice. Man I love this forum. @biggrin if you ever are in Mumbai I invite you to drive my car. What Sherlocked posted was a revelation to me too. What i20 offers is frills and fancy and mind you some are useful too, Baleno is another maruti and the lesser weight raises hackles about safety, ford figo diesel is good but a bit confusing (will have to research more), ford figo petrol is not upto mark IMHO. GT TSI is a dream car but costs a bomb 10.5L on road and with AMC and extended warranty crosses 11L. Till confusion persists I will be faithful to my Ritz and as advised will surely invest in upgrades.
ada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 20:32   #779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Till confusion persists I will be faithful to my Ritz and as advised will surely invest in upgrades.
My take is the same. Ritz is a beauty. Even we have one in the family. Though I dont know how VVT has changed the engine response, but the one we own sure brings smile, when ever I drive it. Even I have not noticed any rattles over the years (Its about 7 years now). Very good suspension set-up as well.

What I would suggest:

- Give your car a mid life make over. New alloys/wheels, better ICE, leather etc or some thing on those lines. There are very few tall boy hatches which drive so well. Hold on to it!
Old 12th June 2016, 08:03   #780
BHPian

The first gen K series engine was a true driver's delight in terms of throttle response. Even in lower rpms it doesn't feel sluggish at all.
And currently having a Swift VVT, which is a reworked K series engine, I can vouch what biggrin has said regarding this engine

For the sake of improved FE, Maruti took away the fun factor from this engine. Low end was compromised a lot and though the mids and highs are still good but definitely feels timid than the First gen K-Series.

Absolutely true

I own a 2010 Ritz petrol car and it is indeed a true driver's car. Excellent throttle response, nice low end torque and rev happy nature of the engine is a delight to drive. Fuel efficiency is relatively less for the first generation K series engines though. I have driven newer 1.2L K series engines in swift and baleno and they are nowhere close to first generation engine in terms of fun to drive factor.

My Car's ODO stands at 61000 and still going strong after 6 years of peaceful ownership. No rattles or squeaks whatsoever. Still on original battery and I have changed my tyres to Bridgestone Turaza 185/70/R14 at 50000km mark.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-3.jpg  

DrANTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks