Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 15:18   #826
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
As per the policy, the car can be run for 36000 kms for a lease period of 3 years. Any additional distance travelled above 36000 kms would attract additional charge of Rs 6 per km.

Please go through the policy fine-print and see if there are any such clauses which can attract penalty. Do keep us posted about your decision.
As per lease policy of my company the maximum mileage is capped at 26000 KM per year, which is good enough for my usage.

I have deferred the plan to purchase car till April 2017 when I get my next salary increment.

Last edited by born_free : 29th December 2016 at 15:21.
Old 31st December 2016, 17:47   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmumbai View Post
i am currently using a all new Honda City purchsed in 2011 december. The car has till date run around 1.5 lakh kms mostly on highways in Mumbai-Pune, Mumbai-Goa and Mumbai-Bangalore sections. There has been no major repairs except the clutch plate change, Ac pulley change and the spark plug and brake pad replacement.

Presently I am really in a dilemma whether to sell the Honda city and go for a new car. Personally I am quite happy with the car performance but a little apprehensive on the upcoming repair/maintenance cost. The Service Advisor has warned me for a potential suspension change costing 25 K (Since 2011 model) steering column repairs for 40K.
Really need some insight if these issues are really generic to all Honda City cars
Honda City is a car that is easily good enough to last 10-12 years without being too aged or outdated. And since you have a 3rd Gen City, it is another advantage as this gen City is good in build and reliability.

If your car is not giving you too many problems, then I will suggest to wait for a couple of more years and then look for a change in 2019 with either a 5th Gen City that will be available by then or any other car you might want to look into.

For the repairs, you think which can burn a hole in your pocket, I will suggest taking quotes from good neighbourhood independent garages. Since the car is not under warranty, it will not be a problem.
Old 31st December 2016, 19:01   #828
Senior - BHPian

I second what Bluevolt has stated. Instead of shying away from spending 65k, do bear in mind that if you buy a new car, you'd be paying the same amount in 3 installments as EMI, and many more after that. The 3rd gen City is a lot better than the latest one, so I suggest you keep it for as long as it runs defect free. However, if you're getting frequent repairs, you can think of buying a new car.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 00:19   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I second what Bluevolt has stated. Instead of shying away from spending 65k, do bear in mind that if you buy a new car, you'd be paying the same amount in 3 installments as EMI, and many more after that. The 3rd gen City is a lot better than the latest one, so I suggest you keep it for as long as it runs defect free. However, if you're getting frequent repairs, you can think of buying a new car.
The difference is that it is a heavily used vehicle and you have run it for 150k km as you say, right and mostly highway use rather than city use?

So - yes, there will be a certainly high amount in repairs coming up but you still have a solidly reliable car. Keep the oil and air filter changed and use more premium petrol if possible (speed or shell v power), fully synthetic oil and such and that should ideally improve engine life and smoothness a lot more.

What you have is a car where the engine and mechanicals will more or less outlast the car body and interiors - so that is where your concern should be on deciding whether or not to sell the vehicle. Even there, some 3M treatment, detailing etc etc will keep it going strong.

Stick with that car, you have a gem with you.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 12:14   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The difference is that it is a heavily used vehicle and you have run it for 150k km as you say, right and mostly highway use rather than city use?

So - yes, there will be a certainly high amount in repairs coming up but you still have a solidly reliable car. Keep the oil and air filter changed and use more premium petrol if possible (speed or shell v power), fully synthetic oil and such and that should ideally improve engine life and smoothness a lot more.

What you have is a car where the engine and mechanicals will more or less outlast the car body and interiors - so that is where your concern should be on deciding whether or not to sell the vehicle. Even there, some 3M treatment, detailing etc etc will keep it going strong.

Stick with that car, you have a gem with you.
A similar situation here. I have a Jan'11 Fiat Punto 1.3MJD Active and have clocked approx 1lakh kms, primarily driving around Southern India and one really long drive to the Eastern part of the country, from Bangalore.

Now after owning the car for approx 6yrs, the service advisor told me of some major work coming up on the car which is absolutely essential for highway reliability of the car. The works might cost around 30k at the minimum. Apart from that the car is absolutely fine & doing its job well.

However, the interiors have started to age. Major is the problem with the floor mat, primarily the mat around the area where the ankle of my right leg rests has now become too thin and causes pain at times. I plan to rectify this with a complete floor mat replacement.

However, my concern is how long can i continue to own this car and will the maintenance / part replacements really grow pretty high, now that the car is out of the extended warranty period & also 6yrs old. How would the mechanicals age?

Looking forward to some sound advice from you folks!

Regards
Saurav
Old 1st January 2017, 14:17   #831
Senior - BHPian

Honda City is a car with parts readily available and the Punto while highly reliable has to contend with Fiat's rather dodgy sales and service network or rather the lack of it at many places.

If all it takes to restore the car for highway use is 30k that's going to be say two or three months emi for a new car, and your old car while a brilliant one, has dud resale value. Keep it as long as you can is my suggestion.

As it is probably out of warranty you can check with a trusted independent garage for a quote as well.

Feel free to pamper your car interiors by replacing worn out things like the gearshift knob, new seat covers, 3D mats like kagu or 3m nomad, an interior shampooing etc (plus get the aircon serviced to top up gas, clean the cooling coil etc)

Your car owner manual should have a section on maintenance schedule and costs. Or check for it online. Compare that with the cost of a new car.
Old 9th January 2017, 18:41   #832
BHPian

Thanks guys. After reading through the reviews i have decieded to keep the car for a year or two more. In between got a few dents and scratched repaired and repainted. Got some interior cleaning up done too. The car restored back to its original glory.

Maybe the honda guys wanted to sell some new car on exchange so put up a long list of repairs. Called up the service centre manager later on and met him after office. Apparently the repairs are not so urgent. They can wait six months to a year.
Old 13th February 2017, 16:54   #833
BHPian

In the light of the NGT diesel ban, does the logic get altered? I mean the resale of the 5 year old car does get hit badly as its residual life to the buyer is capped at 5 years (without re registration/NOC). ? So wouldnt it make sense to sell it at say 5 years , than after 7 years (leavng only 3 years for the buyer)?
Where does the residual value curve flatten out?
Old 15th February 2017, 10:44   #834
BHPian

Friends,
Have 5 yrs old Punto diesel ran 70000kms. I am thinking of selling it as i dont use it much since last 1yr. I consider to sell it now and use Self Drive rental cars as needed for outstation. Please advice if I can retain this car or dispose off as I drive very less.

In the future as well, I dont think will be driving much.
Alternatively, my wife has astar auto which is used for daily trips.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:25   #835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,
Have 5 yrs old Punto diesel ran 70000kms. I am thinking of selling it as i dont use it much since last 1yr. I consider to sell it now and use Self Drive rental cars as needed for outstation. Please advice if I can retain this car or dispose off as I drive very less.

In the future as well, I dont think will be driving much.
Alternatively, my wife has astar auto which is used for daily trips.
Keeping a car (especially diesel) idle is the worst treatment to the machine. Since you are not driving/going to drive the car as much, you are better off selling it. Like you said, you have self-drive options for that occasional outstation trip. For regular city use, you have an automatic car.
Old 15th February 2017, 15:36   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Have 5 yrs old Punto diesel ran 70000kms. I am thinking of selling it as i dont use it much since last 1yr.
If you don't feel your usage isnt going increase in the near future, it makes sense to sell it off. You have an alternate car at home, for the car needs.

Do keep in mind that you can't entirely bank on car rental agencies in India yet! The industry in India is still not mature enough compared to say US.
Old 15th February 2017, 19:55   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you don't feel your usage isnt going increase in the near future, it makes sense to sell it off. You have an alternate car at home, for the car needs.

Do keep in mind that you can't entirely bank on car rental agencies in India yet! The industry in India is still not mature enough compared to say US.
For the typical bangalore - chennai or bangalore - hyderabad run there is a huge amount of public transport available so that is less of an issue I would say. Go ahead and sell - though a Punto isn't going to fetch you a spectacular resale value.

Take it out for at least local use maybe?
Old 12th March 2017, 22:05   #838
Senior - BHPian

My car is in its 7th year. Runs well, looks good. Except for a few battle scars on the outside, it is serving me sans any trouble. However, from the last year and a half I am forced to park the car in the open, often exposed to harsh sunlight.

Today, while washing the car, I noticed that,

1. A few black coloured plastic panels have started to lose colour.

2. Many wires, insulating materials, rubber hoses and connectors in the engine bay have started to get brittle.

Can and should they be replaced?
Old 13th March 2017, 10:34   #839
Senior - BHPian

If they have gone brittle replace them. The plastic panels losing color will also happen anyway with age but are less critical to replace than any rubber hoses, washers etc in the engine. Take a mechanic's opinion first.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 17:02   #840
Senior - BHPian

I have a (soon to be) 7 year old car too, a Swift ZXi petrol that I got for 5.xx Lakh rupees. Looking at the range of options available at the next logical price point (~10L) , there isnt much being offered that can be an upgrade in "spirit" to the Swift. Atleast nothing that can excite the petrolhead. With the demise of the "exciting" cars like the Fiesta 1.6, and nothing on the horizon worth looking forward to (in the ~10L segment), I think I will hold on to and enjoy my car for a few more years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks