Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2018, 10:24   #946
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
2013 ecosport diesel
Ignis delta as replacement.
You mentioned two concerns:
1. Safety
In my opinion it is definitely worth changing the car if you want a safer option specially since you mention it is mostly used on highways. However, do note that sturdy build/ABS/Airbags are a bundle and having one over the other does not really help. If you want a safer car you will need to look for crash rating + ABS + 2 Airbags as a minimum. Also it would be worth pushing for 6 airbags. The car safety aspects are improving rapidly in India and down the line even 2 airbags may seem insufficient and you will end up looking for another change.

2. Fuel
This depends on your usage pattern. If usage is high and you can make up the on-road premium within 10 years it makes sense. If your usage is low then petrol is a better bet.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 10:24   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Choose IGNIS, if you have a lot of divine grace in your account I have seen people come out un-harmed in accidents (in not so well built vehicles) at serious speeds by just using seatbelts, i felt they were partially also cashing their grace balance cheques. I will recommend you to get a sturdy model with ABS & 2 Airbags as minimum.
Same mine school of thoughts. Whenever I come out unscathed from a difficult situation, I feel like spending credits marks I have earned earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
You mentioned two concerns:
1. Safety
However, do note that sturdy build/ABS/Airbags are a bundle and having one over the other does not really help. If you want a safer car you will need to look for crash rating + ABS + 2 Airbags as a minimum. Also it would be worth pushing for 6 airbags.
I also felt like that. Thats why I was feeling vulnerable sitting in Ignis. Thanks for clearing haze around me.
Meanwhile, I also came across article of GTO, in which he said,
"If you love your car, dont sell it."
https://www.thehindu.com/life-and-st...le25826536.ece
After that I have left every thought of selling my car altogether.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-1545886809562.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Abhi : 27th December 2018 at 10:32. Reason: One point missing
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 16:19   #948
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for going Off-Topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
They had tried cleaning the disks multiple times but the real reason for damage was the car washing guys throwing water on tyres and car run is not so heavy causing the disks to get rusted at places.
The brake disks get rust due the water from Road getting splashed over them. But the brake pads "clean" that rust. Not a matter to lose sleep over.

I have never seen or heard of Brake disks "breaking" due to corrosion (from rust).

Quote:
Got a call from service guys for that and I too agreed to get them changed.
Service guys are there for making money out of every car that come to their place. No wonder they mislead you and took for a ride.
Old 19th January 2019, 19:37   #949
BHPian

So I've a Fiat Linea Emotion MJD (Top end, Diesel) which I'd got in June-2012. Its done 67K KMs as it's closing in on 7 years of ownership.
Now, I used this thread to get inspiration to continue my interest with this car-
1. Did complete interior and exterior detailing.. The car feels rejuvenated inside out.
2. Added footwell lamps (FNG)
3. Exploring how to fit puddle lamps and mirror mounted turn indicators
3. Contemplating RaceDynamics tuning box
4. Enquired at few shops on feasibility to upgrade ICE Head Unit which supports Android Auto. The guy told me nothing can be done about it as it is so old generation ICE. . Like the Priya and Vijay Super scooters of 1980s.

We can only do so much to reignite the interest and engagement...I don't have a solve for these-
1. Linea's length and weight... Which is great on highways - stable like a locomotive. But my running is all in City for foreseeable future.
2. Rubbery gear shifts.. Looks like there is a Bata or Relaxo bathroom slipper stuck in the gear system when I am changing the gears
3. Almost every time I have to get down to 1st gear in traffic even when with no passengers or luggage - speed breakers or speed below 10 kmph.

When it was launched, it had so many features which was ahead of the segment. Leather seats, Ambient light above center console, voice enabled Bluetooth system, speed sensing door locks, impact sensing auto unlock and auto fuel cut off.

I feel my car is get old and it's so hard to even think of letting it go as it was my first car.
I am only trying to delay the inevitable...

Financially, it doesn't make much difference between selling now or later- at 7years its already heavily depreciated, plus it's a Fiat with poor resale value, and Fiat news of closing shop in India. Its like I am using the car for free with only fuel costs and servicing costs.

So, I am thinking of retaining the car till the point where pain of owning an old car exceeds pain of letting it go.

In my alter ego- where wishes are horses - I keep evaluating Endeavor, Fortuner, Kodiak, Superb, 3GT, VRS, XC40, new Camry, Passat and XC60... And a keen eye on Harrier, Compass. At times, I do have audacity to dream about 530d. The ideas is to have few shortlist in each segment- and go ahead once approved by wife.

Until then me and my humble Tuscan Wine Fiat Linea.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th March 2019 at 08:05. Reason: Typo
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 19:46   #950
Senior - BHPian

What you can do is to get the coolant, clutch and gear oils flushed and replaced entirely - helps to an extent.

After that try this head unit and see if it looks like it will fit - Rs. 28,081.88 | Android 8.0 Car DVD Player Head Unit Multimedia Stereo For Fiat Grande Punto Linea 2012 to 2015 4G RAM Auto Radio GPS Navigation
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bXS8ykik
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:05   #951
Senior - BHPian

This happened with my 6 years old Santro Xing (at 44K KMs) last month. The RPMs were always going high irrespective of specific driving conditions. I was struggling to get that issue resolved by visiting multiple service stations across Bangalore for last couple of years but all solutions were short lived. Mostly they cleaned the throttle body or the actuator valve assembly. Couple of times they reset the ECU as well but nothing was really helping. Amazingly it was difficult to reproduce the RPM issue in front of the experts at service stations. I really struggled to prove my point and hence their intensity to look at it was not great.
Finally last month an expert at Advaith Hyundai thought of something and replaced the actuator valve assembly with other older one that they had. Since then I have driven the car for almost 500km but no RPM raise is observed. But the valve makes some strange sound when the car is cold started and eventually that sound dies after a couple of kilometers (or at least reduces). Only relief for me is no more RPM raise but what is this new "krrrrrr" sound that is so loud? Some online videos also show this valve assembly makes sound but this was not the case with the original part.
The expert asked me to try with this for some time and get back for replacement with brand new part. This part costs 10K and last year (November) I have already spent more than 20K on my Santro including service charges of 8K, front wheel disks replacement of 4K, punctured silencer of 5K and Battery replacement of 4K. Now if I need to really get this part replaced, it will add another 10K. Also the clutch is not great anymore but fortunately does not need immediate replacement. But I am concerned about the money being spent this way.

Should I keep this car or go for a new one? Ideally I should since so much is already spent but have no confidence for its future.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 3rd March 2019 at 18:09.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:21   #952
BHPian

So, I've a laundry list of items to be worked on in my 7 yrs old Ritz VDi ABS (62K on ODO). The car is primarily used by my dad. He covers 10-12 kms a day.

a) Replacement of Front Struts/Link Rods (cost 4K)
b) Replacement of Steering Assembly (cost 27k)
c) Replacement of front Disk and Pads (3k)
d) Tinkering and Painting of multiple scratches on left front/rear door and front bumper (10K)
e) Inspection of injectors (Not sure if cleaning them would reduce black smoke) (TBD)
f) 2 Glow plugs (1K)

What do you guys suggest? Go ahead and get the work done (or) replace the vehicle with a decent hatchback in the price range (4-5lacs on road).

Given that Ritz's production has stopped, what could be the resale value if I get the vehicle back to pristine condition and sell it 2 years later?

Please suggest.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:24   #953
Senior - BHPian

Get an estimate at a neighbourhood garage instead of a Maruti service centre.

For the black smoke - check that the oil is changed and the air filter is changed, just to start with.

3 Panels = you might save some 1500-2000 just on the tinkering and painting that way, or as it is an old car, if they are only scratches rather than dents touch the paint up and continue using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
So, I've a laundry list of items to be worked on in my 7 yrs old Ritz VDi ABS (62K on ODO). The car is primarily used by my dad. He covers 10-12 kms a day.

d) Tinkering and Painting of multiple scratches on left front/rear door and front bumper (10K)
e) Inspection of injectors (Not sure if cleaning them would reduce black smoke) (TBD)
f) 2 Glow plugs (1K)

What do you guys suggest? Go ahead and get the work done (or) replace the vehicle with a decent hatchback in the price range (4-5lacs on road).

Given that Ritz's production has stopped, what could be the resale value if I get the vehicle back to pristine condition and sell it 2 years later?

Please suggest.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 08:27   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
f) 2 Glow plugs (1K)
I have a simple logic here. This entire work needs around 50K for you and if you have confidence for the car's quality after that, get the work done and continue using it. This is way lesser than the 4-5lacs you will spend on a new car.
I too was in a similar dilemma about my 6 year old Santro Xing. But I have already spent around 20K on it since last November (front disks, battery, silencer and regular service) and have decided to keep it for some more time. I am OK to spend a few more bucks on its maintenance . Car is doing just great. It is just some sort of feeling in back of mind that bothers me about its future. But as I said spending a few thousands vs lacs makes a big difference.

PS: Just checked for the exchange value of this car and it was a real setback. Tried for i20 Sportz+ 2019 and Hyundai dealer offered just 2.2lacs. It is only 44K kms driven and in excellent condition. Other brands will surely offer way less. Considering all this I will continue for a few more years.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 21st March 2019 at 08:42.
Old 24th April 2019, 19:04   #955
BANNED

I have two cars nearly ten years old each. One is a Fiesta S and the other a Fabia PD Diesel.
Both cars run very well.
The Fiesta is mechanically very sound but has a few dinks and the paint needs a respray. The spares are easily available and inexpensive; the Classic was sold until recently.
Similarly the Fabia runs very smoothly but has had an AC meltdown. I had the whole system replaced with a Polo AC system. A few other electrical glitches have bugged me; the radiator fan relay, the AC panel etc did stop working and needed replacing. Costly at that.
Both cars have ABS and airbags and are therefore reasonably safe. Both cars are sturdily built and the tank variety. Both cars have depreciated as much as they possibly could in value. I do only 15000 km a year.
Given their age and phased out status, should I continue to keep these great cars ? And for how much longer?
Old 24th April 2019, 21:03   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
I have two cars nearly ten years old each. One is a Fiesta S and the other a Fabia PD Diesel.
Both cars run very well.
The Fiesta is mechanically very sound but has a few dinks and the paint needs a respray. The spares are easily available and inexpensive; the Classic was sold until recently.
Similarly the Fabia runs very smoothly but has had an AC meltdown. I had the whole system replaced with a Polo AC system. A few other electrical glitches have bugged me; the radiator fan relay, the AC panel etc did stop working and needed replacing. Costly at that.
Both cars have ABS and airbags and are therefore reasonably safe. Both cars are sturdily built and the tank variety. Both cars have depreciated as much as they possibly could in value. I do only 15000 km a year.
Given their age and phased out status, should I continue to keep these great cars ? And for how much longer?
Diesel cars are having 10 years of life. You need to anyways go for a new registration and fitness right? You can decide based on that I think.
Old 24th April 2019, 22:31   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have two cars nearly ten years old each.
Sadly, both the cars you have are hard to move in used car market unless you deal with an enthusiast who's particularly looking for a Fiesta/Fabia.

Quote:
Both cars have depreciated as much as they possibly could in value.
Exactly. There's no harm in keeping both of them till the government permits. The solidity and driving pleasure of these old cars will be hard to find in new ones. You can keep the Fabia diesel for city runs and take the Fiesta S out for highway drives.

If it comes to choosing one out of them, I would suggest you to keep the Fiesta S. Mechanically sound, more enjoyable to drive, no threats from government (at least for now ) and an enthusiast's dream in this age of small-capacity-turbo-petrols.

Last edited by self_driven : 24th April 2019 at 22:33.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 23:17   #958
BANNED

Quote:
Diesel cars are having 10 years of life. You need to anyways go for a new registration and fitness right? You can decide based on that I think.
I am not clear about the rules regarding diesel cars. Aren't those 10 year limits only in the NCR ?
Any light on this ?
Old 24th April 2019, 23:58   #959
BHPian

Quote:
I am not clear about the rules regarding diesel cars. Aren't those 10 year limits only in the NCR ?
Any light on this ?
Yes, those limits are only applicable to vehicles registered and/or plying in the NCR region. For every other place, a car's fitness is valid for 15 years from the date of its registration, irrespective of it being a petrol or a diesel vehicle.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 06:56   #960
Senior - BHPian

I don't want to give up on my Hyundai Elantra GLS all of 14 years old, got her serviced last week and A/C wasn't working so got that checked and the A/C filter was clogged and that was also replaced and she's running smooth as ever and A/C is working fine now. So I've got another year and then may have to have her re-registered or sold off. My NCB is intact. Spent ₹ 7724 at HMP for the service and spares.
Durango Dude is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed