Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 14:49   #1036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
So my dilemma is do I keep the Civic and let her use it as less as possible with a driver or sell it and get a used hatch like a Brio or Swift. I have offers of between 4-4.25L on it.
If you are not using the car any more and it will be at an unknown driver's mercy, I would agree with your plan. Sell the Civic to another enthusiast who can enjoy the full potential of the machine and get a comfortable hatchback which your wife can use.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 17:32   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
So guys, here's my case!

1) This model is famous for fuel injector failures! Although our car is supposed to be under the rectified batch, there are some 2014 cars with similar failures, although very few in number. We do quite a number of long drives and thus getting stranded in the middle of the highway is not an option, especially at night.
I had the same injector concerns though I haven't faced any issue yet - touchwood. I have significant expenditure lined up for the car (steering column, timing belt kit, etc) and which selling the car did pop up in mind, I have decided to retain the car for a few more years.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 10:44   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
So guys, here's my case!

Currently have a 2014 Vento diesel with 99k on the odometer. The original plan was to keep it for 7 years. It's already 5.75 years. I know it's 1.25 years too early but there are two primary issues

2) We're now 5 in the family and the back seat space in terms of width is quite less which is felt during long drives. Also no headrests and 3-point seatbelts for the middle passenger which is a safety issue.
Go for the used Jetta/Octavia. If you don't mind switching to a petrol to avoid high maintenance costs, you won't spend much since you could even look out for the 1.4tsi. The 2.0 Diesels are still a great choice if you find one with low miles on it at the right price. Perhaps keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a Superb as well.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:20   #1039
BHPian

Guys I have a diesel Ford Ecosport 2015 model. I was contemplating on replacing it with Honda Amaze CVT petrol. Due to current situation I have cancelled my purchase. Because of 10 yr old rule of NGT I am worried for resale value for the car if I sell next year. Besides I have pending work in form of clutch replacement, new tyres, which itself will cost me 40k. Should I sell this vehicle?
Currently I have no EMI and if I buy new car again cycle of EMI will start.
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:30   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Guys I have a diesel Ford Ecosport 2015 model. I was contemplating on replacing it with Honda Amaze CVT petrol. Due to current situation I have cancelled my purchase. Because of 10 yr old rule of NGT I am worried for resale value for the car if I sell next year. Besides I have pending work in form of clutch replacement, new tyres, which itself will cost me 40k. Should I sell this vehicle?
Currently I have no EMI and if I buy new car again cycle of EMI will start.
I would definitely suggest you stick to the Ecosport. The ecosport is anyday a better engineered car than the Amaze in my opinion and most importantly, the 1.2 Ivtec in the Amaze is no match for the 1.5 TDCI of the Ford. The NGT rule will only apply in 2025, you have plenty of time. Retain it until 2022 or 2023.

Apart from this, all the other factors such as EMI, the depreciation hit you face when buying a new car apply too. 40K is peanuts when you consider the fact that you will be spending 8-9 lakhs on the Amaze which is most importantly a downgrade as I stated before. Repair the Ecosport and retain it for 2-3 years. Extend your budget till then and go for a Kia Seltos or a more expensive car which is a true upgrade.

Last edited by vishy76 : 22nd June 2020 at 16:31.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 12:51   #1041
BHPian

Excellent thread. I am confused whether to retain my 6 year old Vento TDI 1.6 or sell it off. The running is very low and till now it has clocked only 33000 kms. The following repairs have been carried away.

1. Fuel Pump Replacement - On the third year
2. Water Pump Replacement - On the fifth year
3. Timing belt replacement - On the fifth year , along with water pump
4. Evaporator coil replacement - On the sixth year.

So what is the best course of action.Whether to retain it or sell it off. Experts are requested to throw lights of wisdom

Thanks in advance
Old 7th July 2020, 14:01   #1042
BHPian

The same conundrum here. Have a Oct 2014 Q3 TDI and a May 2011 Vento Highline Petrol MT. Both don't have particularly high miles on them (Q3-63K and Vento 23K). As I stay in Delhi, the 10 and 15 year NGT ruling is a pain. So, am thinking of selling both off and replacing with one good ride. I have considered the upkeep costs of both and their depreciation costs as well as the depreciation of the new car and have created a rough excel sheet (attached).

Please have a look at it and share your views on it. If someone wants this as a template for their calculation, please feel free to use it.

The primary factors for selling are:

1. Brain-dead NGT ruling
2. Running reduced to 5K a year from 15-20K earlier due to WFH mostly
3. Diesel costs more in Delhi than petrol now
4. Future depreciation of cars would be massive. Right now, it can at least fetch enough for a down payment for the next car.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Book1.xlsx (11.1 KB, 183 views)
AZ911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 16:14   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
Excellent thread. I am confused whether to retain my 6 year old Vento TDI 1.6 or sell it off. The running is very low and till now it has clocked only 33000 kms.
The theme of the thread is to understand the need of new purchase, while it certainly indicates that your car has a lot of life left and is practically unused.
Now this is where my opinion changes for your case, if you are not keen on keeping this car for more than 10 years, it is the apt time for you to part your way with it.
It being a VAG car, with only 6 years of age and a practically unused engine at 33k odo, you'll get a pretty good resale value now (resale value is one of the biggest consideration here as it keeps a check on your new car's upfront cost)
Given the 1.6 TDi and low running, I feel it's safe to assume that it was purchased for the fun to drive factor and not to save on running costs.
I'd suggest that part with this car and get a good turbo petrol (a lot many options added in that list recently).

As mentioned before, there's a big if.
If you don't intend to keep it for 10+ years.

Do update us on your call.

Happy motoring!
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 16:59   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
Given the 1.6 TDi and low running, I feel it's safe to assume that it was purchased for the fun to drive factor and not to save on running costs.
I'd suggest that part with this car and get a good turbo petrol (a lot many options added in that list recently).
Thanks buddy. I will have a rethink with due weightage to your suggestions

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th July 2020 at 17:04. Reason: quote fixed
Old 9th July 2020, 21:55   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Please have a look at it and share your views on it. If someone wants this as a template for their calculation, please feel free to use it.

The primary factors for selling are:

1. Brain-dead NGT ruling
2. Running reduced to 5K a year from 15-20K earlier due to WFH mostly
3. Diesel costs more in Delhi than petrol now
4. Future depreciation of cars would be massive. Right now, it can at least fetch enough for a down payment for the next car.
First off, thanks for sharing the excel, I've meaning to make one for a while but didn't start and this is way better than what I had in mind.

NGT ruling is really a pain as 5 years down the line owners start worrying about the resale more than enjoying their vehicle which had grown over them over these years.
It does make a sense for you to part with both of your rides given the calculations and your acceptance towards the cost (a forced acceptance given the steep decline in resale here onwards) and get a new petrol ride, your running is anyway going to be low. If I were you, I'd prefer to not buy an expensive one so this replacement every 6-7 years wouldn't hurt the pocket and heart.
If you were to get in market now, what all cars are you considering?

On other note, diesel being expensive than petrol in Delhi might not be a permanent thing but given the reduced running and 10 years deadline for diesels, they don't make a case for them.

Happy Motoring!

Last edited by petrolHead_1609 : 9th July 2020 at 21:58.
Old 16th July 2020, 19:46   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
First off, thanks for sharing the excel, I've meaning to make one for a while but didn't start and this is way better than what I had in mind.

NGT ruling is really a pain as 5 years down the line owners start worrying about the resale more than enjoying their vehicle which had grown over them over these years.
It does make a sense for you to part with both of your rides given the calculations and your acceptance towards the cost (a forced acceptance given the steep decline in resale here onwards) and get a new petrol ride, your running is anyway going to be low. If I were you, I'd prefer to not buy an expensive one so this replacement every 6-7 years wouldn't hurt the pocket and heart.
If you were to get in market now, what all cars are you considering?

On other note, diesel being expensive than petrol in Delhi might not be a permanent thing but given the reduced running and 10 years deadline for diesels, they don't make a case for them.

Happy Motoring!
So, I decided to go against my excel analysis, which doesn't take in consideration the ways of the heart.
I'll probably keep this car for 2-3 years more and once it reaches that 8 year time period, will probably sell it off and go for a 15-20L segment, which offers pretty decently safe and loaded vehicles now. Who knows that electric infra catches up somehow and we get a Nexon with 500 km range for 18-20 (wishful thinking)
Old 9th August 2020, 08:55   #1047
BHPian

Have seen this thread a lot of time but still when it comes to take that decision you are swayed by the two. The heart and the mind!

I have a 2014 Ritz VDI done 49k km's on ODO.
Personal life situation have changed over the years. With two kids I find the car unsafe otherwise a well maintained car.

For my next purchase I had decided not to go for sub 4 meter again.

Now here is the deal, I posted on another thread too but that was more oh the requirements I had.

I really feel the need to upgrade but should I?
For the next car I have a budget of 12Lakh OTR

As for my requirement - I would like to get a compact SUV (above 4 meters) with all the bells and whistles.

Financial planning - So for my current car I have a potential buyer of about 4 lakhs. Adding two from my pocket and take a 6 lakh loan that will equate to 12k / monthly emi.

For the next car I am sure to keep it for 8 years or so. I want to ensure that the choosen car can meet the requirements till such time.

This time I would like to go for a petrol as my average use has come down considerably.

So please let me know if this would be the ideal situation to upgrade?

Btw the car that supposedly can meet my requirements for 12 lakh OTR is currently shortlisted to Scross.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MadTiger : 9th August 2020 at 08:57. Reason: reference correction
Old 27th August 2020, 17:38   #1048
Senior - BHPian

We were planning to upgrade our 5 year old Xuv with the upcoming Xuv in 2021 but now there is no point in it thanks to the pandemic. Instead we 'refreshed' the car with new wheels, seat covers and audio system.
faithless_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 19:37   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is helpful beyond words. No matter how many times you have already read it (I have read it 5 times so far, especially the first few posts that discuss the math), we tend to sway away from our trusted steed with certain new car launches that are so tempting.

Only solution is to re-read the thread again. I did it and am fighting the temptation of replacing my perfectly working 5 year old car.

I guess it is hardwired in majority of us to fall back into an active EMI once we are emi-free.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th August 2020 at 19:38.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:10   #1050
BHPian

I have a 2015 GT TSI, thankfully with the DSG back then. This has done just 33k in the last 5 years and has been maintained vey well. The car is still in stock form, other than Stanley Seats which give the car a slightly premium feel inside, given that we all know how bland a VW can get. Now with the DSG out in the GT, this has become more dearer. Any thoughts on how long should this be held more?
cedricsg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks