Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 13:17   #1096
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Option 2.

You will get a good resale for Ecosport since it is a diesel and you have remapped it and added a few mods. You just need to wait for a good buyer. That should not be a problem since you are not in a hurry to sell.

The Corolla is a no-nonsense and supremely comfortable car. This can also act as a beater car

Corolla -> Beater car, for you dad and short commutes.
3 series -> For the racer boy in you.
Kodiaq -> For those long drives and mile munching in comfort.

The Corolla can go on for another 10 years with your kind of maintenance!
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:00   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Option 2.
Sell Ecosport and keep Corolla. Most logical choice. Ecosport fetches decent resale being newer than the corolla. Only drawback is Corolla becomes the beater and car for errands. Ecosport is perfect size and type of car for errands and beater car duty. I get some money from Ecosport sale which I can invest or keep in bank. This is dangerous as will lead to spending on something else.
Go with option 2, there’s very little you’d get for selling the Corolla and your father prefers it to the Ecosport, plus there’s no extra capital expense from your side. Buying a new car now would mean being stuck with it longer whereas holding off now can mean a much better upgrade in the future, I don’t consider subcompacts like Taigun an upgrade over a Corolla (although that’s subjective).

Another option is to sell both and get a 2011-12 Accord/Camry, they’ll be more comfortable with better ride and more rear legroom, and equally reliable. Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 05:26   #1098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Another option is to sell both and get a 2011-12 Accord/Camry, they’ll be more comfortable with better ride and more rear legroom, and equally reliable. Cheers.
He is looking for a beater car that's easy to take around, not a barge.
benbsb29 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 08:16   #1099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Option 1.
Sell Corolla and keep Ecosport as errand / beater. Being a 12 year old car resale will not be much. As of now corolla is costing next to nothing to run annually for insurance and service with fuel extra. I will lose a car that cannot be replaced with anything remotely close in premium feel and quality and over engineered. There is nothing south of 20L that comes close to the Altis today. Dad is not ok with this option as Corolla is running fine and perfect for his duties.

Option 2.
Sell Ecosport and keep Corolla. Most logical choice. Ecosport fetches decent resale being newer than the corolla. Only drawback is Corolla becomes the beater and car for errands. Ecosport is perfect size and type of car for errands and beater car duty. I get some money from Ecosport sale which I can invest or keep in bank. This is dangerous as will lead to spending on something else.

Option 3.
Wild card - Sell both. I can sell both of them and look for one single car that kills 2 birds with 1 stone. A Kushaq/Taigun 1.0L TSI AT is what comes to mind. Dad won't mind chauffeur driven in either IMO and it will be fine as a daily driver once things open up. Problem with this option is I need to spend money. I am replacing 2 perfectly good cars that are running fine, not eating up money and buying 1 new car not as good as a Corolla and not as frugal and compact as the Ford. Also looks even more mad after buying Kodiaq and 3 series just before and during a pandemic. Selling both corolla and Ecosport might cover 60% of the cost of Kushaq 1.0l AT which means 40% I need to pay!

Option 4.
Shut up and keep quiet. Does this need more explaining? Keep both and just continue with all 4 cars. I have parking as well for 4 cars.

I am right now vacillating between 2 and 4 but the Taigun review now has added option 3 as well.

In a practical sense, option 2 makes sense.

Lets add a catalyst into this - a bride to add to the rides

If she's a petrol head, stay with option 2 and you can rotate the BMW and Kodiaq between yourselves if not rotating and revolving elsewhere.

If she's not a petrol head. Option 3
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:00   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Six year itch - Do I need to change my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar C E View Post
Mod note: Merging to an existing thread, please use Search to search for an already existing thread. Thanks.

Mods: If this posting is in an inappropriate thread, please do post it in the right place, thanks!
The only reason to change the Ciaz would be maybe the build quality. That apart it is a good car with loads of space and I am sure it does well on bad roads as well. I would say wait it out for a year or two. The compact SUV segment will get hotter with the likes of Maruti & Toyota bringing in newer generations of SUV's. Better and hybrid models are on the way. Meanwhile you could spruce your Ciaz a bit, leather seats, alloy wheels etc.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:39   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
I have a somewhat opposite dilemma to the 5 year old car keep or sell.
I am right now vacillating between 2 and 4 but the Taigun review now has added option 3 as well.
Option 2 seems better. Your Father is comfortable with the corolla and it isnt costing you much to maintain.

Option 4 should be ruled out as having 4 cars now is too much. From your post, I feel you need just a Corolla and the Skoda. BMW is for personal gratification with no one getting any younger
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:49   #1102
Senior - BHPian

My Duster AWD is going to be 7 yrs by this Dec. Its working perfectly well (touchewood) and I have not had any issues what-so-ever. Taken care like a child

This is the only car we have now as we didnt replace the City due to the pandemic. Essentially we will buy a second car when needed. But now it looks unlikely we will really need a 2nd car due to hybrid work going forward.

Assuming single car && given its 7 yrs, I am pondering if I should keep it or replace.
Its an awesome car with awesome engine, good safety (2 Airbags, ABS, ESP also!) and rides magically. But the itch to get something nice and shiny is getting to me!

Look forward to your views on keep Vs sell. Budget is 50-60L and I have a generous car lease option offered by employer.
Old 11th August 2021, 11:11   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
My Duster AWD is going to be 7 yrs by this Dec. Its working perfectly well (touchewood) and I have not had any issues what-so-ever. Taken care like a child

This is the only car we have now as we didnt replace the City due to the pandemic. Essentially we will buy a second car when needed. But now it looks unlikely we will really need a 2nd car due to hybrid work going forward.

Assuming single car && given its 7 yrs, I am pondering if I should keep it or replace.
Its an awesome car with awesome engine, good safety (2 Airbags, ABS, ESP also!) and rides magically. But the itch to get something nice and shiny is getting to me!

Look forward to your views on keep Vs sell. Budget is 50-60L and I have a generous car lease option offered by employer.
There is no car in the price bracket of Duster AWD which can satiate the owner. Since your budget is 50 to 60L, surely you are not looking for a like to like replacement of your Duster.

Duster AWD's ride quality is gold. And since you have got no issues with it is driving like new, better to keep it for another few years and then go for something exclusive.

However, your budget and lease options throws many such logic out of contention. Its almost like what you want and feel like doing right now.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 11th August 2021 at 11:20.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 11:43   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
The Kodiaq is used for family trips and is perfect at highway cruising with family in utter luxury. I do not use it in town and its main use is highways and longer drives.

The 3 series was impulse buy cause I was looking for a sports sedan for ages and this was perfect to complement the Kodiaq for the "sheer driving pleasure" and Joy.

Ecosport - Dad absolutely dislikes sitting in this car especially back seat with the very stiff ride. I sent him once with the driver and got a lot of grief with complaints of back pain and was told not to mess with his car and ensure Corolla is available at all times.

Option 2.
Sell Ecosport and keep Corolla. Most logical choice.
From the post description, I can see that your father is most comfortable with Corolla. This is very important.

Both BMW & Kodiaq are used for highway runs only. For city runs (like visit to market, clinics...etc) in heavy traffic, you (& any family member) can also use Corolla along with driver which will make driving in city less hectic for you.

Option 2 is the logical choice. Sell EcoSport and keep Corolla.
I can understand the compact dimensions of EcoSport for easy parking. However, the usage of Corolla outweighs EcoSport solely on backseat comfort & comfortable ride.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 11th August 2021 at 11:48.
Old 11th August 2021, 15:14   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
He is looking for a beater car that's easy to take around, not a barge.
He’s willing to use the Corolla, which is about 12 inches shorter than a Camry. He won’t even feel the difference.
Old 11th August 2021, 17:24   #1106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Corolla - Dad no longer goes to work and doesn't intend to resume either post pandemic. Will be retired and at home most of the time. He uses the corolla for short trips to doctor, physio or social meets (right now only absolute urgent business due to covid). Based on how covid situation is, usage will increase to the park for walks, social and airport drops. Car is always driven by his driver. No self drive.

Option 2.
Retaining the Corolla is the best bet.
Yes, it's a little bigger than the Ecosport for beater duties per se : but the driver is used to its size, your father is happy, and even if you have to get some body work done every 2-3 years, it is still cheaper than all the options.

Due to the pandemic, we've been using the Corolla as a beater as well and though parking is a little more troublesome it's a manageable size.
Have a look at the dimensions : it's not far off from the Kushaq / Taigun : similar width, and slightly longer length.

Last option: S Cross which is a decent all rounder. Not as thrilling to drive as the Kushaq, but will keep the wallet happy.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 17:30   #1107
Team-BHP Support

After 6 years with my car, i did have the itch as mentioned on this thread, but good sense prevailed as i evaluated my situation. A vehicle that's been performing its duties well, and still brings joy - not to forget no longer on a loan which made it an easy decision. Decided to spruce it up a bit with some treats.
  • New set of alloys
  • A long range ARB Fuel tank, taking the capacity to 128L
  • New Sony Head unit with Apple CarPlay

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-img_7826_2.jpg

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-img_7107.jpg
benbsb29 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 18:54   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Duster AWD is going to be 7 yrs by this Dec. Its working perfectly well (touchewood) and I have not had any issues what-so-ever.
...But now it looks unlikely we will really need a 2nd car due to hybrid work going forward.
...Assuming single car && given its 7 yrs, I am pondering if I should keep it or replace.
... But the itch to get something nice and shiny is getting to me!
...Budget is 50-60L and I have a generous car lease option offered by employer.
A budget of 50-60 lakhs supplemented strongly by an itch to change the car, can be a very tempting (dangerous, which way you look at it) proposition

This predicament drowns out any "need" logic that you may want to keep thinking about!

However, since you want to focus on having only 1 car in the garage, you should clearly plan your options in terms of the transition that you want to undertake - from that of owning a Duster today to a proper luxury segment tomorrow.

As many have said before, this transition is not only on the basis of the initial cost of the vehicle (50-60 lakhs budget) but also - and importantly in this case of a luxury segment - in terms of the ongoing / running costs of the luxury car that you want to purchase, including but not limited to the insurance, tyres, servicing & maintenance and the big daddy of them all, the depreciation.

As for the options themselves, well, this budget range can take you almost anywhere. Its for you to pick & choose what you "want".
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 19:41   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Duster AWD's ride quality is gold. And since you have got no issues with it is driving like new, better to keep it for another few years and then go for something exclusive.
Right - the ride quality is most important for us. Second is reliability. I cant imagine stranded on the highway. Rest we can mostly live without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
As many have said before, this transition is not only on the basis of the initial cost of the vehicle (50-60 lakhs budget) but also - and importantly in this case of a luxury segment - in terms of the ongoing / running costs of the luxury car that you want to purchase, including but not limited to the insurance, tyres, servicing & maintenance and the big daddy of them all, the depreciation.
Indeed - given I am 46 yrs old, its really now or never. Second, I keep my cars really long. The Santro parted after 13 yrs and the City after 12 yrs. If not for the itch, there is absolutely no reason to swap the Duster.

My current choices are (prefer SUVs):
- BMW X3 petrol
- XC40 Recharge (when its launched)
- Fortuner Legender (huge compromise on the ride quality)
- Landrover Discovery Sport

Discovery Sport is my favourite but its beyond my budget and also tons of issues with reliability. Ruling it out.

(I might decide to keep Duster too only if I buy a sedan - unlikely but wife likes the generous leg room in the 3 series LWB)
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 19:52   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(I might decide to keep Duster too only if I buy a sedan - unlikely but wife likes the generous leg room in the 3 series LWB)
If considering a sedan as an outlier choice, then how about the Camry Hybrid facelift (soon to be launched)?
It is a sedan + got a premium feeling + generous leg room (more than the 3-series LWB).
Plus it won't throw up a maintenance price shock, unlike the other German marquee brands.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks