Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 07:43   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

I have a M800 which is registered in Mumbai & currently being sparsely used in Bangalore since last 2 yrs. Is it now possible to get an NOC from Mumbai without physically going there? What type of documentation would be required to get this done?

If you guys know of any reliable agents in Bangalore or Mumbai who can get this NOC done can please PM. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th November 2011, 20:04   #182
BHPian

Very Informative article. I have concluded that if I am selling my car to an Individual that I will release the car to him only when he gives me a receipt copy of the name transfer. If I am selling to a dealer I guess I will have more peace of mind but will loose some money.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:06   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I have a M800 which is registered in Mumbai & currently being sparsely used in Bangalore since last 2 yrs. Is it now possible to get an NOC from Mumbai without physically going there? What type of documentation would be required to get this done?

If you guys know of any reliable agents in Bangalore or Mumbai who can get this NOC done can please PM. Thanks in advance.
Please check the Team-BHP Mumbai directory. Couple of RTO agents mentioned. I went with Akku Auto Advisor who did the job without any fuss. I did do this on one of my trips to Mumbai, but i guess if you can courier the originals to him (with his fees) he should be able to do it.

Typically you need original RC book, original Insurance and VIN pencil engraving (3-4 copies). Call up the broker and he can provide you the exact list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
Very Informative article. I have concluded that if I am selling my car to an Individual that I will release the car to him only when he gives me a receipt copy of the name transfer. If I am selling to a dealer I guess I will have more peace of mind but will loose some money.
Not sure how feasible that would be. As a seller I would want the car immediately on payment. Name transfer takes its own time depending on RTO and not sure any buyer would be willing to wait for possession until then. Typically a delivery note is a first safeguard but a follow up with the buyer to ensure completion of name transfer is necessary.

Last edited by sachinayak : 14th November 2011 at 06:10.
Old 27th November 2011, 19:57   #184

Excellent article. I am planning to sell my Figo and came across this article just in time. Thanks GTO.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:16   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The process of selling a car is not as complicated as one thinks. Let Team-BHP show you the "definitive" way of selling your car. Be sure to adhere to the following steps and you are guaranteed a smooth sales procedure.
Great article GTO.
However, I would also like to have another information. I would like to sell my 15 year old car as scrap, and apply for a re-fund of life-tax (more than cash, this is to ensure that I am not legally responsible if the "sold to scrap" car is misused). I searched the net for Tamil Nadu RTO rules, and I could see that prior permission is needed before selling the car to a scrap dealer. Any relevant information regarding the procedure would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:21   #186
BHPian

Guys a quick question. If I am selling my car and would not like to include insurance in the deal, what are options available to me?

For instance I have renewed my insurance (comprehensive) in September'11. I am selling my car in December'11. If insurance is not part of the deal, will I get refund equal to 8 months from insurance company?
Old 2nd December 2011, 00:14   #187

Great article GTO!
As comprehensive and lucid as it gets. I'll follow it blindly while I proceed to sell my Swift in the next few days.
Just a dumb question:
Do I just take printouts of all the attached forms, attach revenue stamps and they're good and valid?
Thanks a ton.
Old 24th December 2011, 21:55   #188
Senior - BHPian

What is the procedure in case the sale is to a used car dealership. For instance, if I sell to Maruti True Value, the buyer would only be identified in the future- as of now, it would e bought by the True Value dealership itself.

Does this mean that all the forms would mention Maruti True value as the buyer, and that for all purposes the dealership is the buyer as far as I am concerned?

Or do I need to follow up with all forms till my car is actually bought from Maruti True value by the ultimate customer?
Old 26th January 2012, 18:40   #189
mxx
BHPian

I am selling my car, and a buyer needs copy of RC and insurance for loan approval. Is it normal procedure? Any problem in giving these to the buyer?
Old 27th January 2012, 11:39   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I am selling my car, and a buyer needs copy of RC and insurance for loan approval. Is it normal procedure? Any problem in giving these to the buyer?
Any one transferred the ownership of the car recently in bangalore. If so, please let me know the fees for the same. Also, If going through agent then how much do they charge?

One of my friend recently bought a second hand car and hence he is looking for this information.
Old 28th January 2012, 11:18   #191
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Any one transferred the ownership of the car recently in bangalore. If so, please let me know the fees for the same. Also, If going through agent then how much do they charge?

One of my friend recently bought a second hand car and hence he is looking for this information.
I bought a used car recently from dealer. They charge Rs.3500/- towards rto/transfer charges. No idea what actual rto charges are.
Old 28th January 2012, 15:15   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I bought a used car recently from dealer. They charge Rs.3500/- towards rto/transfer charges. No idea what actual rto charges are.
Hey thanks for the information. My friend had a talk with some agents today and their charge ranges between 3000-5000 including the clearance certificate from the current RTO. But actual RTO charge is around 500 only.
Old 30th January 2012, 21:07   #193
BHPian

I am looking to sell my 5 year old M 800 to a dealer. The dealer told me that he would give a delivery note and that protects me from any untoward incident from that moment. Now the Karnataka RTO website has some truly revealing insights on how its not true:

Quote:
Whenever a vehicle is sold/purchased it is mandatory on the part of transferor (seller) to intimate the concerned Regional Transport officer by sending form 29 and transferee (buyer) to apply and obtain transfer of ownership within 14 days of the actual transaction. ( Delivery note, sale receipt have no relevance as far as section 50 of motor vehicle act governing transfer of ownership is concerned). Also the intimation on the part of the seller will not facilitate the noting of transfer of ownership in the records. The transaction will recorded in the certificate of registration only when both seller (transferor) and transferee intimate the registering authority.
Source: Transport Department

so this says two things:

1. The delivery note is of no use legally.

2. Even if I send the set of signed documents to the RTO as per GTO's opening post in this article, I am still not protected.

I didn't think its so complex to sell a used car. I hate even hiding for shelter under a govt office when it rains!

Is it better to sell to a Truevalue? do they keep up their promise?

Last edited by veyron_head : 30th January 2012 at 21:09.
Old 6th February 2012, 08:05   #194
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, need your valuable suggestions/guidance on an ownership transfer issue that I discovered recently.
I sold my previous car in Dec 2008 and received payment by Demand Draft (DD).
After signing the necessary documents we completed the transaction. However, the buyer requested me not to mention the name of buyer on the RTO forms since he wanted a week's time to decide if it'd be in his or wife's or uncle's name.
Seeing my reluctance to this arrangement he convinced me and assured that the RTO transfer will be done in a week's time. I even followed up for the next month or so and he finally said it is done and will mail a copy of RC soon which he never did.

Now, after 4 years when I checked on RTO's Vahan website to my horror I still find it's in my name

I have copies of the following documents related to this transaction:
1. Acknowledgement for receipt of documents and car keys (date is mentioned)
2. Delivery Note (date is mentioned)
3. Copy of Driver's License of person taking delivery
4. Sale receipt (date is mentioned)
5. Copy of DD received
6. Authorisation Letter to RTO
7. Letter to RTO for issue of Clearance Certificate (date is mentioned)
8. Letter for transfer of insurance (date is mentioned)
9. Form 29 (date is mentioned)
10. Form 30

I don't know if this will help, but on some of the documents, though buyer/new owner's name is not mentioned, the letter/form has the date mentioned as I have noted above.

let me know what is the next course of action from my side.

Last edited by NPV : 6th February 2012 at 08:07.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:20   #195
Senior - BHPian

I need some help on this.

If I am having a prospective buyer from outside the state, who will be re-funded, if at all, the road tax I paid in my state?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks