Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2012, 10:53   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Wow BIG thanks to GTO/TBHP for this information!

I just sold my car and in the process of sending the reg letter to RTO but am confused to which RTO are area belong?

The vehicle reg to earlier owner was at KA03, i stay at Basavanagar, Marathalli

KA03 or KA 53?

Last edited by lohithrao : 18th February 2012 at 11:01.
Old 7th March 2012, 01:01   #197
BHPian

Nice Article GTO. A few queries. I have just sold my car to a company in the same RTO. Does that entail any different procedure than the one described?

Also I have given them the original RC book, insurance papers,finance co. NOC(form 35) as well the requisite forms 29 & 30.

What I am not sure about is the RTO tax paid receipts mentioned in the post.I didnt seem to have them ever. Kindly advise if that can hold up the transfer.

I am actually living out of town and just delivered the car to the company along with the above and am back home. They will do the transfer at the RTO within 14 days.
Old 13th March 2012, 14:36   #198
BHPian

Folks, Quick question:

How many days it usually takes for the smart card (RC) to arrive in Bangalore (Indiranagar RTO)? I have initiated the transfer on 7-Mar-2012 and waiting.
BTW many thanks to GTO for 'detailed' guidance on how to buy / sell used car.

Regards,
Sary
Old 14th March 2012, 12:56   #199

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy a modified Maruti Gypsy in Hyderabad.

- '91 modified maruti gypsy with HM-ISUZU 2litre engine. Excellent condition and well maintained.

catch is:

- gypsy is not registered, registration expired in 2006
- modified engine is not RTA approved

Owner says he knows an agent and it'll take Rs. 4000-5000 to get the paperwork done in 4-5 days. He says pay 90% of cost and take the car and the remaining amount pay once paperwork is done.

I wanted your opinion on should i proceed or not with the deal or any other interesting option you might have.

Your expert inputs will be very helpful.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:57   #200
BHPian

So - I have found a buyer for my car, and the deal is final.

The trouble here is, that the buyer is asking for the original RC book and insurance before making the full payment.

- The buyer needs to take a bank loan for the car.

- He will pay me 30% of the money, and is saying that the bank needs the name transfer on the RC/Insurance done before they can sanction the loan amount, only after which he can pay me. I have my doubts on this. Do banks really need the original papers before they can give the money ?? If so, how can I protect my interests ? If not, what is the procedure ?

- The buyer has said I can keep the car with me till the full payment is made, but that does obviously not keep the car on my name legally since the RC/Insurance will be transferred to him.

I bought a second hand car last year from a dealer, but I did get my loan, before the RC was transferred to my name (which itself actually took about a month).

Any pointers ?
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:18   #201
BHPian

@mods, please move as deemed appropriate.

Hi friends, a friend of mine has a 2001 Maruti 800, which he bought second hand. While purchasing, the previous owner gave him all the documents, including original RC book, insurance, and signed form 29 and 30 (i hope the form numbers are correct). After the buy last month, he ran out of cash and couldnt transfer it to his name immediately. Now, when he decided to get it transferred, he cannot find those signed forms, and the person who introduced him to the previous owner is not in touch with him neither my friend knows the previous owner very well.

Now, he is in a dilemma as to what is to be done if he has to transfer the car to his name. My understanding is that without those forms, the transfer would not be possible and the only way out would be to get in touch with the previous owner again (which I am afraid is not possible).

So, please shed some light on the options available to him in this strange scenario.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:32   #202
BHPian

Helo GTO, that is one CAR SELLING BIBLE that you've written here for easy reference. As I'm in the process of selling my car/ swapping, I do bump into used car dealers who show me cars that have been running in someone's name much beyond the date of sale maintaining the SINGLE OWNER status. They adviced me to just sign in the form and take the cash for my car too and I sensed something fishy. This article of yours comes at the right juncture as it has thrown much light on the sale process. Thanks
JEHU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 07:49   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitj View Post
- gypsy is not registered, registration expired in 2006
- modified engine is not RTA approved

He says pay 90% of cost and take the car and the remaining amount pay once paperwork is done.
Here's what you need to think through - if you do decide to go ahead with the deal and the RTA approval does not come through, would you still consider it a good deal? Unless you have private property that you can run the Gypsy on if it doesn't get registered or the engine modification doesn't get approved, I would suggest insisting that the vehicle be registered and the engine modification be approved before you pay for the vehicle. Once money exchanges hands, it does not usually find its way back.
Old 30th April 2012, 16:59   #204
BHPian

Thanks GTO - this is exactly the info i needed while selling my car. Thanks a million..!

And articles like these make Team-BHP the default motor vehicle destination in India. Kudos to the promoters and moderators...!

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2012 at 14:18. Reason: Guess you meant default :)
Old 29th July 2012, 17:54   #205
Team-BHP Support

The sale of my Corsa has nearly been finalized.

The car is in my dad's name and I'll be leaving the country tomorrow; hence, I want to finish formalities tomorrow itself so as to not burden them with all the running around.

The car is Gurgaon (HR 26) registered while the potential buyer is in Delhi; so, the car would first have to be transferred to his name with a local Gurgaon address and then he'd transfer it to Delhi RTO.

In such a case, what document should I get prepared to confirm sale. A notarized Sale Agreement? Anything else?

What other precautions should I take considering the whole Gurgaon - Delhi issue and that I wouldn't be here to sort out any mess.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:28   #206

Hi

Just wanted to add some more for people in Kerala. It is always safe that you do the transfer by yourself. For this case you will need to reatin all the documents mentioned in the post and submit yourself to the RTO under whoes jurisdiction the buyers address ( as per attested address proof ) belongs to

The additional documentation are

1) Photocopy of PAN card of the buyer attested by a gazetted officer
2) Form 60 in case the buyer does not have a PAN card http://law.incometaxindia.gov.in/DIT...tr62Form60.pdf. Filled in and signed by the buyer.

3) An envelope with Rs 25/- stamp affixed so that the RTO can post the RC to the owner.

Note some RTO's allow the buyer to collect the RC from the RTO itself provided he/she brings a govt id proof (voters id, PAN etc ) with the name and address as in the RC along with the receipt obtained when the papers were submitted to the RTO for transfer.

While applying for transfer you will require to submit to RTo along with the forms

1) Insurance certificate original
2) Original and valid pollution certificate
3) Original Cess paid recepit ( in case you had paid cess in as per 2009 notification)

all originals will be returned along with new RC to the new owner

Thanks and Regards
Sibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Step THREE : Payments & Documentation

To hand over to the buyer:

1. Form No.28 - Application for N.O.C. and grant of certificate, if the buyer falls in another RTO’s jurisdiction (3 Originals). Format attached.
2. Form No.29 - Notice of transfer of ownership of vehicle (Original). Format attached.
3. Form No.30 - Report of transfer of ownership of vehicle (Original). Format attached.
4. Delivery note (Copy).
5. Registration certificate (Original).
6. RTO tax documents (Original).
7. Insurance policy (if included as part of the deal).
8. Owner's manual of the car.
9. Any warranty papers (battery etc.).
10. Service history.
11. Invoice of the car (if available, and in copy).
12. PUC certificate.
13. Duplicate keys.

To retain with yourself:

1. Form No.28 (Copy).
2. Form No.29 (Copy).
3. Form No.30 (Copy).
4. Delivery note (Original).
5. Govt. issued photo id of the buyer (Copy).
6. Registration, RTO tax papers & insurance policy of the car (Copy).
7. Invoice of the car (Original).
8. Finance company NOC (if applicable & only a copy).
Old 26th August 2012, 12:51   #207
Senior - BHPian

I have a doubt -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To hand over to the buyer:

1. Form No.28 - Application for N.O.C. and grant of certificate, if the buyer falls in another RTO’s jurisdiction (3 Originals). Format attached.
I am from Mumbai and I am selling my car to a person in Pune. Will that require a change in the registration number?

Quote:
2. Form No.29 - Notice of transfer of ownership of vehicle (Original). Format attached.
3. Form No.30 - Report of transfer of ownership of vehicle (Original). Format attached.
After signing these forms, what should be my next step? Send a copy of these to my RTO and wait for him to take these forms to the Pune RTO and get the car transferred in his name... That's it?

Who will transfer the car to his name? The Pune RTO or Mumbai RTO (where my car is registered)?
Old 26th August 2012, 14:31   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have a doubt -

I am from Mumbai and I am selling my car to a person in Pune. Will that require a change in the registration number?

After signing these forms, what should be my next step? Send a copy of these to my RTO and wait for him to take these forms to the Pune RTO and get the car transferred in his name... That's it?

Who will transfer the car to his name? The Pune RTO or Mumbai RTO (where my car is registered)?
no there is no need to change registration number.you will have to take noc from mumbai rto and pune rto will transfer the car.

Last edited by procircuit_234 : 26th August 2012 at 14:32.
procircuit_234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 18:04   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
no there is no need to change registration number.you will have to take noc from mumbai rto and pune rto will transfer the car.
That means I will have to go to the RTO for the paperwork?

Is it better to get an agent do all this?
Old 26th August 2012, 19:39   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
That means I will have to go to the RTO for the paperwork?

Is it better to get an agent do all this?
yes its even better to transfer car first and handover papers to new owner latter and also get delivery note from buyer when you give delivery.
procircuit_234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks