Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 12:40   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Selling a Used Car (Fiat Linea 2010): My Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I tried to access vahan.nic.in

This site according to Firefox uses an 'invalid security certificate' and one should therefore not visit it. Presumably from the IP address this is an Indian Govt. site!
Click "proceed anyway" or whatever "okay go ahead" option your browser provides.

Its safe. It just means that "sensitive information" going between you and the site could be listened in on. Hardly an issue here.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 00:14   #227
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
Can any one tell me, what is the difference between "Certificate of taxation (CT)" and "One time tax". In Mumbai, we have this One time tax.

I have a two wheeler with a "certificate of taxation" receipt.
Although my car does not have one. I only have "One time tax" stamped on my RC book with the amount 69,000.
Is this the same as "Certificate of Taxation"?

Thanks.
Can anyone please reply my query.
Old 10th November 2012, 13:18   #228
BHPian

I am going to be selling my Maruti Swift Vxi shortly. The tyres of the car are on their last leg. Is it advisable to replace the tyres prior to selling the car?

I ask this from a purely commercial perspective, in terms of getting a better price whilst selling the car.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 12th November 2012, 14:25   #229
BHPian

If the tyres are really worn out, and if you put in new ones, you are facing a straight loss of 25-30% of the amount spent on them. On the other hand, you may gain through 'invisibles', in the sense your car might get sold in lesser time!
frequentflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 20:13   #230
BHPian

It would have been great if Team BHP classifieds had a car valuation tool that would prevent sellers from quoting an impossible price and also keep away low ballers.
Old 28th November 2012, 15:55   #231
Senior - BHPian

Guys
when i am buying a used car which is registered in a particular RTO of the city and i reside in another part of the city, I presume I need to submit the transfer documents to the RTO in my area of residence right ?

What are the acceptable address proofs that i can submit ? I am unable to find this in the Chennai RTO website which merely says ( valid address proof )
Old 28th November 2012, 23:54   #232
ARG
BHPian

Folks!

Has anyone sold an out-of-state registered car to Mahindra First Choice?

Got an indicative figure of 1.7l for my 2007 Hyundai Santro XL (KA-01 registered) from their appraiser at Trivandrum (KL-01), with 62000 on the clock. Any comment?

Not sure, as I also sold a KL-01 registered 2007 Estilo with 50000 on the clock, last month (Oct), for 1.5l to a private dealer. This chap does not buy out-of-state, though! :(

Thanks
RG
Old 29th November 2012, 21:46   #233

Re: Selling a Used Car: My Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebeezee View Post
I also got a taste of a wide spectrum of humanity in the process of showing the car to prospective buyers.
Thanks for this extremely useful post that acted as a ready reckoner for me whilst trying to sell my car (9+ years old Tata Indigo). I ended up using only carwale. Within minutes of posting, I got multiple calls. Unfortunately, carwale platform seems to be used-car-dealer dominated. Except for 2 individual buyers, rest all turned out to be dealers in various shades. Some "claimed" that the car is for their brother/friend just to avoid the dealer versus individual question. In-fact, I had a very bad experience with one of them.

Two guys (one individual buyer and the other set seemed like dealer) came almost together to see my car. This was about 50 meters from my office gate on a fairly busy road. The second set (three of them) started looking first and negotiated to an amount 5K less than I wanted. I said not done, and came to the second guy who was an average guy. Things went well with this, and he agreed to the amount I wanted after various verification, short drive. The other set of guys were still standing around and when I told them that the deal is settled, they started showing their true colors. Abusive language, I came first so I will buy, etc etc. I just started the car to go into the office and wham! One of the guys was kicking at my car. I thought it's better not to argue/get out and fight these rowdies and kept driving. Once inside office, I came out and saw a significant dent on driver side door. Immediately called friends, police etc who arrived within ten minutes. The guys were gone by this time though I had their phone number and name. In-fact, the police inspector who came called them but they didn't answer the phone. The inspector went back and called me after 2 hours that these guys are at the police station and if I want to press for a complaint. I went there but thought no point in fighting with rowdies when they know which office I come daily to and unnecessarily invite potential unpleasant situations and didn't press with formal charges.

The inspector gave them a good lesson so hopefully they won't behave this way with any one else.In-fact the Inspector was so helpful that he gave me his number and said that if they are anywhere near me, just give him a call.

You ask what's the point of all this? Just that there are all kinds you will run into when you try to sell your car on your own so be prepared. GTO's list is an extremely handy guide. I would add that show the car within office parking lot if possible just to avoid unpleasant interactions like this.

In the end, the price I got was significantly more than what dealers like FirstChoice/Maruti TrueValue offered me when I had approached them directly. Was it worth the trouble? Yes, had it not been for this one incident. But then, such is life.

[/quote]
rbarney is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 23:46   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Bid a sweet farewell to the car that's served you well for so many years . Happy selling & here's hoping you find a good home for her.
GTO, with such great difficulty I brought myself to agree to sell my car but your last line made me weak in my knees all over again. Believe me, I am now not posting the ad today (will see if I can convince myself again tomo) because I just cant see her going away from me even though I have got a new & better one. Selling her feels like someone would be taking away a part of me.
Old 17th January 2013, 11:30   #235
BHPian

Just sold of our 5 year old Ikon Flair for 1.10 lakhs. She did 70250 kms and was in a neat condition. We expected around 1.5 lakhs but after trying people across the state we realized that the car is not in high demand. This is understandable as the model is over a decade old! It was hard to watch her leave. Good thing is that the people who bought her actually wanted to keep her instead of selling them again. This was a relief. They said they looked at other used Ikons as well but liked our's color (Jewel Violet) better. Thanks to my mom for choosing the color back in 2007! Really going to miss the car I learnt driving on! Quite possibly the best and tightest handling car I've driven so far. Farewell darling!

Last edited by Vivek Jayan : 17th January 2013 at 11:31.
Old 28th January 2013, 12:40   #236

Hello. Does anyone have a Draft of the Vehicle Sale Deed? Would be great if someone can upload it. I am in the processing of selling my car and would also like to get it franked. Is Rs. 100 Stamp Paper / franking sufficient or should it be more / less? Thanks.
Old 31st January 2013, 14:42   #237
BHPian

GTO's post may be three years old but it is very much relevant and extremely useful ; recently I was selling my car and I followed the guidelines; not only I was happy but the buyer as well Also using something like Car Wale and approaching individual buyers is a better value approach. The exchange programs offered by car dealers (unless you buy same brand) short charge one by as much as 20 to 30%! By simply following the advice in the forum on not opting for new car insurance offered by car dealer and contacting individual buyer while selling your old car, it has helped to me to get the accessories for the new car almost for free Thanks Team BHP.
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 14:02   #238
ARG
BHPian

Update : Two appraisers at Mahindra First Choice, on two separate instances, had valued my car at 1.7l - but the second time, they charged a 50k reduction citing out-of-state registration. :(

Sold to a friend at 1.5l, finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARG View Post
Folks!

Has anyone sold an out-of-state registered car to Mahindra First Choice?

Got an indicative figure of 1.7l for my 2007 Hyundai Santro XL (KA-01 registered) from their appraiser at Trivandrum (KL-01), with 62000 on the clock. Any comment?

Not sure, as I also sold a KL-01 registered 2007 Estilo with 50000 on the clock, last month (Oct), for 1.5l to a private dealer. This chap does not buy out-of-state, though! :(

Thanks
RG
Old 17th March 2013, 12:51   #239
BHPian

Hello All,

I am selling off my 2007 Swift VDi to a dealer / agent next week.

However, since he would be selling it to a 3rd party he wants me to hand over the following blank signed forms:
  • Form 28 - Application for RTO NOC
  • Form 29 - Notice of transfer of ownership of vehicle
  • Form 30 - Report of transfer of ownership of vehicle

I will also handover to him:
  • Form 35 - Finance NOC
  • Delivery Note - signed by both parties
  • Money receipt
  • RC Book
  • Insurance (Copy) - I will inform the insurance company that my insurance is closed
  • Tax Token

He will fill in the final party's name and submit to the RTO. He says this is the way things work out for a used car dealer.

He says the "Delivery Note" would suffice for the period when the car is in his possession till it is transferred.

How do I ensure that he actually transfers it to the final party and am I missing something obvious?

Regards
Ranendra
Old 5th April 2013, 15:22   #240
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
Hello All,

I am selling off my 2007 Swift VDi to a dealer / agent next week.

However, since he would be selling it to a 3rd party he wants me to hand over the following blank signed forms:
  • Form 28 - Application for RTO NOC
  • Form 29 - Notice of transfer of ownership of vehicle
  • Form 30 - Report of transfer of ownership of vehicle
I will also handover to him:
  • Form 35 - Finance NOC
  • Delivery Note - signed by both parties
  • Money receipt
  • RC Book
  • Insurance (Copy) - I will inform the insurance company that my insurance is closed
  • Tax Token
He will fill in the final party's name and submit to the RTO. He says this is the way things work out for a used car dealer.

He says the "Delivery Note" would suffice for the period when the car is in his possession till it is transferred.
A similar case here.

My Dad is exchanging his old Wagon R with Chevrolet pre owned dealer. When inquired about name on Form 28, they said, they would fill the name while selling the car to a customer. Till the time being, they will provide a letter of handover with company seal indicating the car handover. They said, this is the procedure and they do it for all exchange cases.

Now as my Dad is not in an age (65+) to search for private buyer and persuade them for RC transfer on his own, he is agreeing to this condition. I also can't help him much sitting 1500 km away.

Is this the right process? Does, the handover letter in company letterhead and seal hold value in legal terms, in case of any problem in future?
Help required form Gurus

Most Viewed