Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 11:28   #241
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

It does not matter however complete one's documentation is at the time of selling an unencumbered vehicle (no loan outstanding, first owner etc), the time it takes to actually to get the RC book changed to new owner in Bangalore can be from 3 months to year(s)!! This is for just from one RTO in city to another RTO. Then if one goes thro' a tout, it gets done faster. Is it different for a new vehicle purchase and registration? NO!! It is 4 months since I bought a new vehicle; the mobile RTO record info site says it has no record of this registration number. A visit to RTO will reveal the present going rate. So, yes DO all the paper work and hope some day these things will change. "Karmanye Vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani" File your papers but do not expect RC Book or smart card!
Cheers
Old 28th April 2013, 23:45   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
Hello All,

I am selling off my 2007 Swift VDi to a dealer / agent next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
A similar case here
Not sure, if you guys have already gone ahead with the above sales in the manner you mentioned. If not, please go through the opening few posts of this thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Step THREE : Payments & Documentation

• Have the RTO transfer forms and delivery note (all forms attached to this post) signed by both the parties (buyer and seller). Do NOT leave the buyer field blank, or sign on any other blank documents. If required, and time permitting, offer to visit the RTO together to complete the transfer.
You can post the documents via registered post to the concerned RTOs (if your and buyer's residences fall under different ones) for additional safety net. Here is how -

Quote:
FINAL Step : After the sale

This may sound like additional work, but it is only to ensure your security. Search the forum for horror stories where buyers (including dealers) drive the car around in your name. The law states that YOU are responsible for the car as long as it stays registered in your name, and the onus of informing the RTO lies on you.

• Notify the RTO (from where your car was registered) within 14 days of sale. Send a copy of all the 8 categories of documents that you were asked to retain (in the previous post). Include a covering letter and send the package via Regd. Post. Remember, the law states, until the car is in your name, you are responsible for it (even if the car is used for criminal activities or involved in a hit & run accident). Maintain the postal confirmation in your records. Once you receive delivery acknowledgement, you are indemnified of any liability related to the sold car. NOTE : In case, the buyer's address falls in the jurisdiction of another RTO, you will send an identical document set to them as well.

• Notify your insurance company of the transfer (in case insurance was part of the deal) or cancellation (in case you are retaining your insurance premium) via registered post. If you visit the insurance company in person, take an “acknowledgement” stamp on a copy of your application. Note that No Claim Bonus benefits (Link to full article) are not transferrable. Be sure to use your No Claim Bonus toward your next car.

• Request the buyer to send a copy of the updated RC book (transferred to his name) to you. This will, in all probability, require a certain amount of followup. Once received, include it in the same file as the other sale-related documents.
Another useful post while selling your car to a dealer and ensuring your own safety -

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Well, I sold my Indica early this year to a used car dealer who I didnt know too well.

Heres what I did.

At the time of delivery, I recd. cash and got a delivery note. However, I also got the dealer to sign a "Transfer of Ownership" form with HIM as the buyer. I retained the form with myself and told him that if he doesnt find a buyer in 45 days, I ll fill up the form and submit it to the RTO.

This way my "liability" was limited to 45 days...

Around 40 days after the sale he had sold the car and he came and got the form signed with the name of the actual buyer. Then I destroyed the first form in front of him.

How did the whole arrangement help me? If the dealer "disappeared" or started ignoring me, I could have just transfered the car in his name and called the deal done!

It wouldnt have been morally/ethically incorrect either.
Reading through this thread alone you will come across many horror stories resulting from not getting the ownership transferred properly. Spend a small amount of time now and give it a proper closure to avoid hassles later on.

All the best!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 10:42   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Another useful post while selling your car to a dealer and ensuring your own safety -
Dry Ice, I have gone through the whole thread more than once and also went through GTO's post (which I treat as bible for sellers).
My point is, there are pretty much information about selling a car to a dealer, but I could not find much about exchanging a car. When the itemized payment mode shows payment made through exchanging the car (showing valuation of old car), does not it mean that the showroom has accepted our car as a part payment?
The deal is not yet done as of my case. I am not sure as how to deal with the exchange case and that was my confusion.
Old 29th April 2013, 12:06   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Dry Ice, I have gone through the whole thread more than once and also went through GTO's post (which I treat as bible for sellers).
My point is, there are pretty much information about selling a car to a dealer, but I could not find much about exchanging a car. When the itemized payment mode shows payment made through exchanging the car (showing valuation of old car), does not it mean that the showroom has accepted our car as a part payment?
The deal is not yet done as of my case. I am not sure as how to deal with the exchange case and that was my confusion.
Well, you could try doing what AbhiJ did in the above quoted example. If they ask you to sign on blank delivery documents, you can take their signature, seals on another set of documents which you can keep with you. If they don't send you a copy of the form with updated buyers name, send the one that has their name to the RTOs and be done with it.

Also, try cross posting this query on I booked my car thread or New car prices thread. Some people might help you out with the exact process who have recently gone through the same.

They accepted the car to sell if forward and use that cash to pay for a part of your new car. I think you can use the above method here as well. Technically they are still acting as a used car dealer, getting the car from you and selling onwards. Only thing is, instead of paying you in cash, they reduced your new car price by the used car's value.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 29th April 2013 at 12:09.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:17   #245
BHPian

How much exchange loss can one expect, if selling one's car within a year of purchase, and say about 10k km on ODO?

Is there a reliable website that can help me access the value of my car?
Old 29th April 2013, 23:07   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
How much exchange loss can one expect, if selling one's car within a year of purchase, and say about 10k km on ODO?

Is there a reliable website that can help me access the value of my car?
This thread right here on t-bhp can help - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hread-477.html

Other than that, you can also refer carwale used car valuation - http://www.carwale.com/used/carvaluation/
Old 10th May 2013, 10:30   #247
Senior - BHPian

One of my known relative is selling his car for which I provided him the link to this wonderful thread. He came back with a doubt regarding the NOC to be obtained from the RTO in the jurisdiction where he stays. The Form 28 says provide quadruplicates with chassis no embossing in all the forms. Does this mean that one original should have the embossing whereas the rest 3 copies can be xerox. Also does one have to prepare a sale deed agreement and get it notarized?
I went though the docs which I had when I sold off my Santro and I all could see are the xerox copies of the Form 28 with embossing.
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:28   #248
BHPian

Hello,

I am planning to sell my car. There is no hypothecation as if now. The car is under my name. The buyer is agreed to pay the asking price but he is also planning to get a car loan after that. How does the process work in this case?

Also, the buyer is asking me to get a Clearance Certificate from RTO. What is meant by that? He wants it to register in Mysore. Currently, it is registered in Bangalore. Does that mean I have to submit Form No. 28 to RTO office in person and get the clearance or NOC Certificate? If yes, do I require additional documents to get Clearance Certificate?

To which RTO do I have to inform about the sale? The new one or old one?

Please help, I am kind of bemused here as it is my first experience.

Last edited by Krato : 22nd May 2013 at 22:56.
Old 4th June 2013, 10:30   #249

Dear GTO,

Thanks for the wonderful procedure based article. I am currently in the process of selling my Scorpio and following the steps that you have put up in the article. Can you please elaborate on the procedure regarding the sale when the buyer is going to pay me for my car partly by cash and partly through third party finance. As far as I understand the financier will not provide the DD/cheque until the car is re-registered under the new buyer's name. How do I safeguard myself incase after the re-registration, the buyer does not end up paying the part of money that financier is putting in. Also saw that Krato has posted a similar query. Couple of differences between my query and Krato's queries are as follows.

The buyer in this case, is himself applying for the clearance certificate from the RTO.

The Seller (myself) and the buyer are from the same jurisdiction of RTO.

Thanks-abhi_dighe
Old 9th July 2013, 10:15   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Form No.28 - Application for N.O.C. and grant of certificate, if the buyer falls in another RTO’s jurisdiction (3 Originals). Format attached.
My Car is Delhi Registered. The buyer is also a resident from Delhi.

However the car is registered in Sheikh Sarai. and the buyer stays in Karol bagh. In such cases is a NOC required. If required, whose responsibility is it for getting the NOC. Buyer or seller?
Old 18th July 2013, 14:20   #251
BHPian

I have the same query as oxyzen. My car is registered in Bangalore and am selling it to a buyer who is also in Bangalore. But the RTO is different because of the address. Do I need to provide form 28?
Old 17th August 2013, 21:27   #252
BHPian

After much dilly dallying and thought, decided to sell my 1992 Premier Padmini car. The car is mechanically in good shape. Have not opened Engine so far and run around 70k. All four tyres are ceat tyres.

The prob is that I have not re registered the second time and it expired by June 13. Regd with Andheri RTO. Can anyone inform the procedure to follow to get this re registered and remove hypothecation. As I do not expect more than Rs25 to 30k for the car, would be poor for doing all these.
Old 17th September 2013, 13:10   #253
BHPian

Quote:

To retain with yourself:

1. Form No.28 (Copy).
2. Form No.29 (Copy).
3. Form No.30 (Copy).
4. Delivery note (Original).
5. Govt. issued photo id of the buyer (Copy).
6. Registration, RTO tax papers & insurance policy of the car (Copy).
7. Invoice of the car (Original).
8. Finance company NOC (if applicable & only a copy).
EXCELLENT article, GTO. Very useful. Thanks. I sold my bike recently and in addition to the documents you listed, I also got a sales agreement done with a notary. None of the notary services guys had a "format" readily available. So, I looked up a bit on the web and put together some of the useful stuff I found and made a template myself. I'm attaching the template. Please include it in the original attachments if you find it useful.

Also, I took the delivery note you attached and edited for language and added a few other details. I'm attaching a template for that as well. Please take a look and update in the original attachments if you find it useful.
Attached Files
File Type: doc VEHICLE SALES AGREEMENT TEMPLATE.doc (51.0 KB, 1169 views)
File Type: pdf VEHICLE SALES AGREEMENT TEMPLATE.pdf (312.0 KB, 473225 views)
File Type: pdf DELIVERY NOTE TEMPLATE.pdf (177.9 KB, 93317 views)
File Type: doc DELIVERY NOTE TEMPLATE.doc (26.5 KB, 999 views)

Last edited by dreamz91 : 17th September 2013 at 13:39. Reason: Removed invalid link to attachment
dreamz91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:59   #254
djs
BHPian

I'm planning to sell my car in next few days. I have a query regarding change of address. On my RC book, the address is different from the one I'm currently residing and I have not given "Form 33: Intimation of change of address to be recorded in the Certificate of Registration", left old address almost 2 years back. Earlier address comes under RTO Koramangala (KA01) , new one comes under (KA03).

Is it that the number itself would change after the intimation i.e I'll get a new number ( KA03 instead of KA01 , I hope not) or just the address will be changed on RC book ?

Since I'm selling the car, Can I do it along with Form 28, 29 and 30 ? can someone let me know how much time it takes in Bangalore ?
Old 6th October 2013, 21:47   #255
BHPian

djs, i recently sold my car and bike and for me too, the address on record and the present address were different. All you need to do is mention the old address on Forms 29/30. I don't think you need to explicitly request for change of address.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks