Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 16:55   #256
BHPian

Good day fellow bhpians,
I have a simple query to make. I have to sell my AHNC Apr 2010 with 39k on the odo. The car is still under dealership warranty till April 2014. It is in pristine condition. Has been serviced regularly. Just wanted an unbiased openion about what price I can expect from the market. Of course I've put up detailed ads in all the relevant places. Brokers are willing to pay 5 lakhs for the car. Should I take it or wait for a real user.
Would appreciate the advice.
Thanks & regards
Mandar.
Old 8th November 2013, 15:24   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Step THREE : Payments & Documentation

• You must sign the transfer papers & proceed with delivery ONLY after the payment has been received in full. Strictly no part payments or EMIs (they can go to a bank for that). If the car's buyer is paying via cheque, wait for clearance. Don’t blindly trust demand drafts either, fakes have been circulating in the market. Only when the cash is received, or your bank confirms the deposit, should you hand over the car. Remember that the cheque / demand draft must be in favour of the registered owner of the car.
I have a question on this point (Sorry if it sounds stupid). I understand that I should not hand over the car unless the full payment has been reflected in my account. From the buyer perspective, he is giving me a cheque which will take a couple of days to clear and get reflected in my account. So question is: What is the guarantee for him that I'll hand over the car to him and not escape with the money? Do I need to sign and hand over the transfer papers before he makes the final payment and then hand over the car once the final payment is made?

Note: I don't plan to cheat anyone, just wanted to understand the buyer side of things better
Old 24th November 2013, 11:02   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I have a question on this point (Sorry if it sounds stupid). I understand that I should not hand over the car unless the full payment has been reflected in my account. From the buyer perspective, he is giving me a cheque which will take a couple of days to clear and get reflected in my account. So question is: What is the guarantee for him that I'll hand over the car to him and not escape with the money? Do I need to sign and hand over the transfer papers before he makes the final payment and then hand over the car once the final payment is made?

Note: I don't plan to cheat anyone, just wanted to understand the buyer side of things better
It'll be no sweat for the buyer to lodge a complaint if the cheque was deposited into your account. Biggest reason why you should always pay by cheque (or bank transfer)! Also, I wouldn't make large payments without getting an agreement attested by a notary. Notary services are easily available these days and cost barely a few hundred bucks.

By the way, even if the amount was paid in cash without a legal agreement, you can bet that the buyer has a case when he files a complaint and a strong one if he has a witness as well!
dreamz91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 19:38   #259
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone got first hand experiance of selling a car only (no exchange) to Maruti True value?

I am in the process of selling my WR to one of the True value outlets in NCR. The sales manager told me to submit photocopies of signed Form 28, Form 29 and Form 30. According to him after the "processing" at their end is complete they will release the cheque to me and then i can hand over the car and original Forms + RC,Insurance to them.

Is this the way the process works?
Is it safe to submit them photocopies of signed form 28,Form 30, form 29 before payment is made?
Old 24th December 2013, 17:38   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krato View Post
Hello,

I am planning to sell my car. There is no hypothecation as if now. The car is under my name. The buyer is agreed to pay the asking price but he is also planning to get a car loan after that. How does the process work in this case?

Also, the buyer is asking me to get a Clearance Certificate from RTO. What is meant by that? He wants it to register in Mysore. Currently, it is registered in Bangalore. Does that mean I have to submit Form No. 28 to RTO office in person and get the clearance or NOC Certificate? If yes, do I require additional documents to get Clearance Certificate?

To which RTO do I have to inform about the sale? The new one or old one?

Please help, I am kind of bemused here as it is my first experience.
Hi Did you get the answer ? I am also selling Delhi registered car to Jaipur guy, as I am in Jaipur now. No loan, however I am not sure whether NOC will be taken by the buyer basis Form 28 given to him or it will be taken by me?
Old 18th February 2014, 01:56   #261
BHPian

Frustrations while selling a worshipped car

I was trying to sell off my wife's Chevy Spark, 2010 last few weeks. Posted an ad on Team-BHP classifieds and few other classified portals. Encountered a few funny and a few frustrating prospective buyers. They made me rethink my decision to rather retain or gift this car to someone who takes care of it. Instead of handing it over to someone who does not respect it.

Few of the type of buyers I unfortunately encountered were:

1. 'I know driving Sa'ar' types- This category of buyers is the most dangerious one. They seemed confident of their driving skills (even had a driving license) and claimed to be driving for years in the city. Alas! They forgot to 'neutral' the vehicle, or press clutch before ignition. Rammed into the wall opposite. Had to be literally dragged off the vehicle and shown the door.

2. The lowballers - This category of visitors are not serious buyers at all. They are here to kill time on a lazy Sunday afternoon. They would come, see the vehicle and frustrate you buy telling you that their budget is just the half of the listed price. I made my family wait for half a day before going out because one such gentleman was coming into see the car and he seemed a genuine buyer over telephone.

3. 'Taking you for a ride' types - Now this is the type of 'could be buyers' who are there to literally stress test the vehicle. As a BHPian, I love my cars, worship then and never ever bash them. These buyers would call hitting every pot hole on the test ride as 'Testing the car'. One such 'tester' had to be taken off the steering wheel half way down the test ride since I could not tolerate the rough driving anymore.

4. 'Which model is it sir?' type - I blame the low prices of mobile companies for this. My ad was very comprehensive - posted with variant, color, model, mileage, accessories and every other required details. Despite of all this, the callers would ask you about the color, variant, mileage etc and then simply disconnect without any basic telephonic etiquettes.

I am sure I am not the only one facing these kind of experiences while trying to sell off a car. Any other BHPians with similar experiences?
Old 18th February 2014, 08:12   #262
Senior - BHPian

Re: Frustrations while selling a worshipped car

So very true. The frustration of selling a car is better known only to the owner.

I would like to add one more type - The Comparo type. These believe in playing mind games and all through the test drive, physical inspection would keep comparing the car with others and the price too. They think they can set the terms by describing the negatives of the car being tested. Many a times I had to go offensive by bringing out the cons of the car being compared with.
Old 18th February 2014, 08:54   #263
BHPian

My advertisements are comprehensive and I will entertain buyers who are fluent in english. It gives me an impression that they are academically sound and will have the basic courtesy in proceeding further. I even mention preferred time to contact in my ads. We exchange our profiles on the phone and I will paraphrase the buyers intent. Why he/she wants this car, how much is their budget, what are cars they have considered ? After that we decide on how we should meet up. My preference is very early morning on a weekday - better if its on the way to my office. I do not want to waste weekends / personal time off on these days. If the buyer is desperate/impulsive, we will agree on a weekday. That also gives me a feedback that the buyer will end up being authentic. During the test drive, I explain them complete history. If they experience any improvements in ICE or ride comfort, I explain them the investments behind them. I will also acknowledge the issues. I treat them like my friend and explain real facts, tortures the car has taken. In fact most of them will make up their mind to reject buying my car straightaway. In my classified for SX4 (now sold), I had even mentioned that front bumper was replaced and repainted due to minor street mishap. I still found a good home for a buyer. I think my transparency helped win his trust. Once a prospective buyer is "booked", I do not entertain any calls till the deal is cancelled/closed. I have never wasted time considerably for all this. Also, there was one incident where the buyer sounded very knowledgeable about the car but ended up scratching the front bumper. Such cases, I do not hesitate to claim my team-bhp credentials and then balance out our ego's.
Old 18th February 2014, 09:16   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
4. 'Which model is it sir?' type - I blame the low prices of mobile companies for this. My ad was very comprehensive - posted with variant, color, model, mileage, accessories and every other required details. Despite of all this, the callers would ask you about the color, variant, mileage etc and then simply disconnect without any basic telephonic etiquettes.

I am sure I am not the only one facing these kind of experiences while trying to sell off a car. Any other BHPians with similar experiences?
Its an equal torture for a genuine buyer out there with everyother seller trying to hide something or the other or make false claims. Hence I would have to slightly disagree over this last point of yours and its such a common practice for sellers ( mostly dealers though) to blatantly lie about the car's model, odometer and condition etc that the buyer has to be very careful with every aspect. Ofcourse in this process sometimes genuine sellers like yourself have to suffer too.

But I totally agree that this is not a TD car and any buyer has no right no either damage your car in the slightest of manner or drive it rash over potholes. Thats a strict No.
Old 18th February 2014, 10:12   #265
Team-BHP Support

I have sold 5 cars in India so far, and 3 of them as a BHPian. Earlier two were sold in the 90s, where I was in the mercy of used car salesman, a terrible experience.

But the 3 cars I sold as BHPian, I have had very pleasant time. I don't bother sharing phone number, just email. That alone will screen lots of bad inquiries. And it lets me take my time to deal with each query. I don't let buyers to negotiate before seeing the car. That eliminates most of the time-pass types, especially dealer types. I set a reasonable price (a price I would buy at) and stick to it because I don't like negotiation. I simply walk away if somebody tries to get pushy. The test drive will only happen if I feel the buyer is genuine. In all three cases, the first guy to test drive the car, bought it at the price I named.
Old 18th February 2014, 10:27   #266
Senior - BHPian

I have so far sold 3 cars

1) Maruti Esteem : This was in 2005. I had bought it just 1 year back. Did not know much about how to go about selling the car - so just called over True value and did not negotiate much

2) OHC 1.5 : Bought it in 2005 and sold in 2012. By now I was a seasoned Bhpian and that helped. There were atleast 5 callers who enquired whether its a diesel car ! with the last guy i lost my cool. Finally 1 guy turned up to actually check the car. Sold to him. He was clear on what he wanted, checked the car thoroughly and we go down to the price negotiations and it was done in about 10-15mins

3) i10 1.2 : Bought in 2010 and sold in 2013. Again got quite a few calls. Thankfully no one asked if it was a diesel. The first guy who turned up liked the car and bargained like crazy. But he was a genuine guy so finally relented and sold it to him
Old 18th February 2014, 10:56   #267
Senior - BHPian

I sold my Palio of 10 years. Thankfully, a colleague of mine recommended it to my sister and she bought it. I know they take good care of the car. It has been a pleasant experience for me, thanks to my colleague.
Old 18th February 2014, 10:58   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

I sold 2 cars to True Value, It was a pleasant experience and I got good deals because I was buying the next one from there itself. The SA knew me well and hence everything was smooth.

When I had to sell my SX4, all dealers were offering ridiculous prices and since I was not buying a Maruti, True Value was also not a good option (but I did get offered the best price among dealers)

I was very apprehensive about selling it myself and the SX4 is not a high in demand car. I prepared a detailed ad and put it up in team-bhp classifieds and couple of other places. Had put a reasonable price with some room for negotiation. A prospective buyer (from my wife's company) called on a Thursday after seeing the ad on their classified, was very polite, did not ask unnecessary questions. Came to see the car on Saturday. Liked it. Wanted his fiance to see it. Both of them came on Sunday, saw it, liked it and finalized it. To my utter surprise, he did not even bother to negotiate. of course, I had the full service history, an updated ownership report on team bhp and I had serviced and polished the car in preparation for the sale. So I guess these factors were more important to him rather than the price.

He was also completely unaware of the transfer process, RTO formalities etc... And frankly I felt a little guilty that he did not negotiate and hence I voluntarily offered to renew the insurance for him from my side and help with the transfer formalities (this was in my own interest also).

Net-Net, I still got a price above what I had expected, but also ensured that my buyer was happy with the purchase.

As explained in my ownership thread, my new car purchase was far more taxing and confusing than selling the old one.
Old 18th February 2014, 11:25   #269
J.Ravi

During my XUV500 buying process, Mahindra dealerships in Bangalore offered ridiculously low prices ranging from Rs 1.75 to 2.0 lakh for my erstwhile Bangalore-registered, 72 k km-run, Oct 2009-make, petrol-driven Linea as a special 'exchange' price. Agreed, Linea had many negatives: petrol, FIAT brand image, Linea name, light blue colour, etc. But, those negatives don't justify those ridiculously low prices offered, that too, as exchange for a brand new XUV500! Finally, I sold it for Rs 3.25 lakh to my friend in Bangalore and bought XUV500 from India Garage, Chennai. The details are here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 18th February 2014 at 11:28.

Old 18th February 2014, 11:31   #270
Senior - BHPian

I have sold two of my cars to Maruti true value. It was truly fast and convenient. Took about 15 minutes for the price and left the vehicle later after a week. I dont bother with individual buyers even if it means a small loss monetarily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks