Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2015, 11:43   #316
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Hello team. I have certain queries.

I am selling my Toyota Etios Liva car in vishakhapatnam. I have mentioned the facts on the same as under :-
1. The car is Haryana registered. Hence, I need to give an NOC. The NOC will take time, probably 30-40 days.

2. The buyer is insisting on taking the car today itself by paying cash.

3. I cannot give him the RC original as the same has to be sent to RTO Ambala for issue of NOC.

Now the queries. What all documents should we exchange between ourselves before handing over the car? Is it safe enough to give the car without transfer of ownership immediately?

I am posted in the North East at present and my wife is handling the issue at home.

I will be grateful for some prompt advice.

Thanks and Cheers.
Old 11th July 2015, 11:57   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
Hello team. I have certain queries.

I am selling my Toyota Etios Liva car in vishakhapatnam. I have mentioned the facts on the same as under :-

Thanks and Cheers.
Documents you can/should ask for:

1. Photo ID proof, buyer's self attested with purpose mentioned on it.
2. Try and get the transaction done by cheque or online transfer instead of cash. You will have a proof that ways.
3. An affidavit mentioning that you have sold your car to xyz, which should be signed by both of you. You can keep the originals, and buyer can take the photocopy.
4. Make sure that vehicle is transferred as soon as you have the NOC.

Hope this helps.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 12:13   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Documents you can/should ask for:

1. Photo ID proof, buyer's self attested with purpose mentioned on it.
2. Try and get the transaction done by cheque or online transfer instead of cash. You will have a proof that ways.
3. An affidavit mentioning that you have sold your car to xyz, which should be signed by both of you. You can keep the originals, and buyer can take the photocopy.
4. Make sure that vehicle is transferred as soon as you have the NOC.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a ton.

It's a huge help. Will do the needful.

Thanks again and cheers!
Old 5th August 2015, 11:09   #319
BHPian

Experts - I need your help.

I have finalized a deal for my Aveo. The car is currently registered in Bangalore and the buyer would be keeping it in Mysore.

Please answer the below questions.

- Sending all the forms listed by GTO to the Bangalore RTO should complete my process right.
- I had a loan when purchasing. It was cleared in 2014 however i did not remove the hypothecation. I have got the NOC and Form 35 from the Bank today. Should I be removing the hypothecation or the buyer can do it?

- Since the buyer is known to my friend I'm sure the transfer will happen soon.

Let me know in case of anything else i need to be wary of.
Old 30th August 2015, 12:44   #320

Hi, I have finalized a seller for my car. I went through the entire post, am confused at one point. It says send all copies of the document by registered post to the RTO including RTO of seller if in another jurisidiction. My questions are:

1. Should we also send the original RC book by post?

2. Will simply sending these documents to RTO by post help me get the NOC easily or do I need to enagage an agent?

3. How long does it take to get the NOC without agent. Do I need to visit RTO personally?
Old 7th September 2015, 14:59   #321

I have a bunch of questions (my apologies if they've been asked already)

So I've sold my car and have received the money from buyer.
I've also gone to my RTO and applied for removal of hypothication & for the clearance certificate(CC). The problem is that government procedures dictate that the CC process is anywhere in between 30 days. Now:

1. Is it alright to handover the car based on a delivery note?
2. What if the buyer on a date after delivery refuses/doesn't transfer ownership?
3. Should I get the buyer to fill up FORM 29 etc. just to make sure.
4. What happens in case of an accident during the time the RTO is issuing the CC?

Knowing India, I'm freaked out about what happens then in case of an accident. Please help
Old 6th October 2015, 14:26   #322
Senior - BHPian

I was looking to sell our 2001 model Santro and put up an ad in Olx. Within a few seconds of the ad going live, I was inundated with enquiries and at times I had 4-5 calls on hold. Counted about 120 calls within half hour and I finally had to switch off the phone and deactivated the ad. Almost 90% of them are from agents whom i dont trust. Still looking for a genuine buyer.
Old 22nd October 2015, 06:13   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[b][u][center]1. Form No.28 - Application for N.O.C. and grant of certificate, if the buyer falls in another RTO’s jurisdiction (3 Originals). Format attached.
This thread is a gem for anyone planning to sell / buy a used car. Would appreciate a few clarifications i.e.
a) Please confirm that Form No.28 is required only when the buyer's and the seller's RTO differs. From the above it seems to indicate the same.
b) DO different states have different format of the forms? Or the forms that have been uploaded on this thread be used?
Old 31st October 2015, 18:36   #324
BHPian

Hi folks,

I am looking at selling my car (no hypothecation). Went through GTO's posts on Page-1 and last few pages. My confusion is:

What is the sequence for the sale ? Suppose I have received all the payment, the buyer would want to take the delivery. At that time I can insist on signing the Forms 29/30, keeping some copies. Is it then safe to hand over the car (I also would not want to hold on to it) ?

Surely cannot wait for the RTO procedures to complete, specially if a CC is needed. It will be a transfer within city but not sure same RTO or not.
Old 7th November 2015, 07:39   #325
BHPian

Quote:
FINAL Step : After the sale

• Notify the RTO (from where your car was registered) within 14 days of sale. Send a copy of all the 8 categories of documents that you were asked to retain (in the previous post). Include a covering letter and send the package via Regd. Post. Remember, the law states, until the car is in your name, you are responsible for it (even if the car is used for criminal activities or involved in a hit & run accident). Maintain the postal confirmation in your records. Once you receive delivery acknowledgement, you are indemnified of any liability related to the sold car. NOTE : In case, the buyer's address falls in the jurisdiction of another RTO, you will send an identical document set to them as well.

• Notify your insurance company of the transfer (in case insurance was part of the deal) or cancellation (in case you are retaining your insurance premium) via registered post. If you visit the insurance company in person, take an “acknowledgement” stamp on a copy of your application. Note that No Claim Bonus benefits (Link to full article) are not transferrable. Be sure to use your No Claim Bonus toward your next car
GTO,

This thread has been immensely helpful to me in finalizing a deal for m my car. I have a few questions, however.

The seller is from another city and he wishes to register the car in the RTO lying in their jurisdiction. Now I am in a bit of a fix. I will be moving out of India in a month and I don't want to trust his words going by an issue I got involved in due to the seller driving my vehicle in my name for years together before meeting with an accident and fleeing from the spot after leaving behind the bike I had sold.

Now, I don't want this to repeat and I am thinking I should drive to their city, make them do the RTO formalities in front of my eyes and come back post that. Does this sound OK? coz, till they get it registered in their RTO, there could be a chance that during their drive to their town from bangalore (400 kms) there could be a mishap and I would be in trouble since the car is still under my name.

Also, seller mentioned that they will run on the active insurance till it expires(may 2016) and then get it rented. Is this OK?
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:17   #326
BHPian

Hello Team,

I am about to sell my Ritz VDi to a buyer who resides in the state of Karnataka. He is especially coming to Mumbai after seeing my advert to purchase the car after we discussed the details on phone and seems like a genuine buyer as of now.

My questions related to this sale are -

1) As this is an out of state sale, I wish to know what precautions should I must take.

2) My RC card shows HP to HDFC. Is attaching the NOC of bank is good enough for a hassle free transfer ?

Please advise.
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:02   #327
BHPian

Need help selling EcoSport Titanium+

Hi,

Need your help/inputs in selling a sparingly used EcoSport titanium plus White Diesel. As of date, it has clocked just 2984 KM. Has a start/stop button, 6 airbags and in addition to the features of a top spec'ed version, this comes with rear view camera, spoiler and illuminated scuff plates, all from Ford Genuine accessories. The car is ZERO scratches and is shining like new.

Where to post and what all to do to get reasonable price?

Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:11   #328
BHPian

I have a query on selling my car.
The car's green tax need's to be paid. If I sell the car, who is liable to pay the tax, me or the new buyer?
I would be happy to discount the cost of the tax from the selling price to speed up the process.
Old 8th December 2015, 16:52   #329
BHPian

Delhi

I am planning to buy a DELHI registered used Honda car to Haryana.

Agent is saying that is impossible to get NOC and move registration to Haryana. Instead, he is advising me to get hold of an Address proof of a relative.

Any advice?
Old 11th December 2015, 15:55   #330

Quote:
• Notify the RTO (from where your car was registered) within 14 days of sale. Send a copy of all the 8 categories of documents that you were asked to retain (in the previous post). Include a covering letter and send the package via Regd. Post. Remember, the law states, until the car is in your name, you are responsible for it (even if the car is used for criminal activities or involved in a hit & run accident). Maintain the postal confirmation in your records. Once you receive delivery acknowledgement, you are indemnified of any liability related to the sold car. NOTE : In case, the buyer's address falls in the jurisdiction of another RTO, you will send an identical document set to them as well.
Hi GTO,

Thanks for the detailed information. I am a resident of Kochi in Kerala. I have a few questions:

I am about to sell my very first car (ALTO LXi). I will be sending the documents by post to buyer's RTO (200 kms away) and also handing over original forms to the buyer. Not sure how this works out with the buyer's RTO when there are multiple applications for same sale (One via post sent by me and second submitted by the buyer). Can you please elaborate.

My RTO is nearby my home. Instead of regd. post of documents and waiting for acknowledgement can I just go directly there and submit the documents? In all probability, I will not get an ack. back if I send it by post. It will go into some red tape file and lie there forever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks