Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2016, 16:49   #346
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Step THREE : Payments & Documentation
You must sign the transfer papers & proceed with delivery ONLY after the payment has been received in full. Strictly no part payments or EMIs (they can go to a bank for that). If the car's buyer is paying via cheque, wait for clearance. Don’t blindly trust demand drafts either, fakes have been circulating in the market. Only when the cash is received, or your bank confirms the deposit, should you hand over the car. Remember that the cheque / demand draft must be in favour of the registered owner of the car.
Dear GTO Sir,

I am at complete loss of words to express my indebtedness to this incredibly well informed post, which is making life simpler for thousands of commoners like me. I was able to sell my Alto Lxi 2008 in 2016. During the discussions with the buyer, I insisted on the checklist of T-BHP and not on the documents supplied locally. Sir, trust me this website is the mother of all information required for pre-purchase of car, post purchase of car, pre-sales of car, post-sales of car and all activities attached to get someone moving on the roads.

Quote:
FINAL Step : After the sale
This may sound like additional work, but it is only to ensure your security. Search the forum for horror stories where buyers (including dealers) drive the car around in your name. The law states that YOU are responsible for the car as long as it stays registered in your name, and the onus of informing the RTO lies on you.
Sir, when for the first time I read about this work, i really felt this is surely additional work. But, as I read it completely I realized how valuable and vital it is for someone to notify RTO with the copies of sale documents with registered post A.D. Few years back when I sold my passion pro bike, i couldn't send the copies of documents to the RTO's concerned. But, this car sale transaction was an eye opener. I was able to obtain NCB transfer from my old car insurance company too.
Words are often inadequate to express my joy for your help, for your invaluable help and guidance. I say thank you.
Many many thanks for accepting my membership request too.

Last edited by ampere : 13th February 2016 at 17:34. Reason: Edited quoted content
Old 22nd February 2016, 22:25   #347
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking at selling my car to a dealer. What documents should I take from the dealer? As I understand, the dealer will right now provide me only with a delivery note and the remaining papers will be done once he finds a buyer. What do I send to the RTO, as I won't have any documents as of now. Is this the normal process followed by used car buyers in Delhi? What steps should I ensure to protect my interest? The dealer is reputed and owns new car showrooms as well.

Apologies if this has been answered earlier in this thread, but I couldn't find the answer.

Cheers!
Old 23rd February 2016, 11:09   #348
BHPian

Has anyone tried: https://www.cars24.com/

The site claims (emphasis mine):Our company offers purchase and instant payment after completed and approved papers. We guarantee the transfer of ownership, so you don’t need to worry what happens to your car after it’s sold - That's why it's so secure!
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:41   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Has anyone tried: https://www.cars24.com/

The site claims (emphasis mine):Our company offers purchase and instant payment after completed and approved papers. We guarantee the transfer of ownership, so you don't need to worry what happens to your car after it's sold - That's why it's so secure!
I have taken a quotation from Cars24 and have a friend who has sold his car to them. For me the quotation was much less than my expectation and hence didn't pursue it further. The way they work is as follows: they inspect your car and put it online for dealers to bid for 30mins. They claim to have approx 3k dealers on their network. Then they provide the highest bid to you and if you are ready to sell at that price, they provide you with a delivery challan (I think on a stamp paper - not sure) and a DD for payment. They might hold back 20-30k if you have to get a NOC etc. That's it, you are done with the entire process in 1-1.5 hrs. So it is convenient. While it worked for my friend as his quotation was only 20k less than what he was getting elsewhere but saved him the hassle, it didn't work for me.
abhinavb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 11:23   #350
Senior - BHPian

I recently sold my MH02 (Andheri west) registered car. I would like to notify the RTO about the sale.To whom should the letter be addressed to?
Old 25th February 2016, 13:36   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I recently sold my MH02 (Andheri west) registered car. I would like to notify the RTO about the sale.To whom should the letter be addressed to?
The letter should be addressed to the Regional Transport Officer of Andheri West and you should also write to the rto Officer of the area where the new buyer will be driving the car. The intimation to be done via registered post with AD.
MDED is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 10:52   #352
BHPian

Get your vehicle registration number online from March 1
VISAKHAPATNAM:
Now, the registration number will be delivered to your registered e-mail ID within 24 hours. A first in the State, RTA all set to launch the facility in city.

The days of making rounds to the Regional Transport Authority (RTA) Office for vehicle registration number are going to end soon.

Now, the registration number will be delivered to your registered e-mail ID within 24 hours of buying the vehicle.

Sounds interesting?

The online registration of vehicles will be launched for the first time in the State in Visakhapatnam on March 1.

The trial runs are already on, and the launch is expected for a smooth take off on Tuesday.

“Reliance is providing Internet connectivity for the Visakhapatnam RTA Office, located at Madhavadhara in the city. The project connectivity testing has been completed. RTA employees and all the 48 automobile dealers under its jurisdiction have been trained on the new system and given dealer login IDs,” Transport Commissioner N. Balasubrahmanyam told The Hindu on Saturday.

“Those buying vehicles from automobile dealers, under the purview of the Visakhapatnam RTA located at Madhavadhara, will have to invariably carry a proof of their identity while going to the automobile dealer. The original ID proof can be a passport, Aadhaar card, PAN card, or any other acceptable ID.”

“A valid document bearing the latest residential address of the buyer is mandatory if the address mentioned on the ID proof has changed. In addition, PAN card is compulsory for registration of commercial vehicles. The documents would have to be uploaded at the automobile showroom itself immediately on buying of the vehicle,” he said.

LLR kiosks

LLR kiosks, installed in Vijayawada recently, have earned the appreciation of Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu as it would enable even a computer illiterate applicant to take the LLR (learner’s license) test without any difficulty. “Testing of the LLR kiosks would begin during the first week of March. They would come into operation soon,” Mr. Balasubrahmanyam said. “Cameras have been installed at the Driving Track at Gannavaram in Vijayawada for the first time in the State. The cameras would capture the driving skills of the motorist as a proof of having taken the test,” he said.

“Around 8 lakh of the total 10 lakh vehicles in Visakhapatnam district are ‘non-transport’ (personal vehicles). Around 40,000 vehicles (including 34,000 non-transport) are being added every year and a vast majority of them are registered in the city,” says Deputy Transport Commissioner S. Venkateswara Rao.

Salient features

Number to be delivered to registered e-mail ID within 24 hours of buying the vehicle

Those purchasing vehicles should carry an ID proof such as passport, Aadhaar card, PAN card

The ID proof should bear the latest residential address of the buyer

The automobile dealer would upload the documents immediately on purchase of the vehicle

MODERATORS: I have wrongly posted inadvertently under this thread.Please delete the same.
I have reposted under a different appropriate thread

Last edited by virgopal : 29th February 2016 at 10:57. Reason: Request Moderator
Old 6th March 2016, 11:44   #353

Mahindra FirstChoice Mumbai dealer takes advantage of the situation & leaves you stranded

We have a Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi bought in 2010 & which has done 23,700 Kms. This is a single owner car (driven by a school teacher) and all the maintenance of the car over the years was done in the authorized service center.

We were interested in selling the car & so had put this up for sale on OLX & Cardekho. The insurance for the car is getting over on March 8th & so we were keen to sell it before the insurance got over. Within a week of putting it up, we were contacted by Mahindra FirstChoice who said they wanted to come & inspect the car.

Their person from the main office came & had a thorough look at the car as well as all its papers. He then went back & reported the details to their main office. A lady from their office called up after a few days saying their final offer was for Rs. 1,45,000. At that time we had an offer for Rs. 1.5L so I communicated the same to her. Subsequently, we decided not to go for the higher offer as we were more comfortable dealing with a known brand. I then spoke to the Mahindra lady & told her we can close the deal at the offer she made. She confirmed that since the car was already inspected, they are closing the deal at Rs. 1,45,000. She said the local dealer would come with the advance the next day (i.e. March 6th) and process the paperwork.

The local dealer came today morning & checked the car out again and also took for a fast test drive. While doing the final inspection, he found that one of the rear doors was not opening because the knob was stuck. He remarked during the drive that the engine was working very well.

After completing all his checks, he said he will need to call this local dealer manager. The person after coming on the phone said that now the best price they can offer is Rs. 1,35,000.

I was quite taken aback and surprised that Mahindra FirstChoice after having completed the deal would renegotiate the price. They were aware of the fact that our insurance was expiring on March 8th & hence we would have to spend an extra Rs. 4,000 on the insurance if we delay making the deal even by a day.. I found this attitude of Mahindra FirstChoice in extremely bad taste that when the know the customer is short of time, they try to take advantage of the situation by going back on their word after the deal having been closed. We let go of a higher deal so that we can transact with a reliable brand. After this experience, I'm not sure if there is any difference between the Mahindra FirstChoice brand and a local mechanic who goes back on this word.

In future, I will never sell my car to Mahindra FirstChoice, having known that they take advantage of a customers situation. I'd rather sell to someone who is able to stick to their word. I'm just sad today that a reputed brand like Mahindra is not an option for buying or selling of cars any more for me..
rsutaria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 12:36   #354
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra FirstChoice Mumbai dealer takes advantage of the situation & leaves you stranded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutaria View Post
After completing all his checks, he said he will need to call this local dealer manager. The person after coming on the phone said that now the best price they can offer is Rs. 1,35,000.
In the used car market, no deal is considered done until a token is received.

People will frequently backtrack on or change their offers. That's just how it is. Definitely unprofessional for such a large known brand, but they're just playing it like it is in the used segment.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 12:51   #355

Yes. They leveraged their brand a great deal on the phone while making a lower offer than what we had received.

After we let go of our other offer & they knowing that our insurance was getting over on March 8th low balled the deal. The dealer who came was Prosperous Wheels from Andheri West. Their business card has the Mahindra FirstChoice logo on it, so we expected the Mahindra professionalism from them. Unfortunately, they were no different than a local cash transaction making dealership. I'll be tweeting this link to Mr. Anand Mahindra too.. The amount & money involved is not significant, but taking advantage of a vulnerable situation leaves the receiving party in a very bad taste..
rsutaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 00:11   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutaria View Post
Yes. They leveraged their brand a great deal on the phone while making a lower offer than what we had received.

After we let go of our other offer & they knowing that our insurance was getting over on March 8th low balled the deal. The dealer who came was Prosperous Wheels from Andheri West. Their business card has the Mahindra FirstChoice logo on it, so we expected the Mahindra professionalism from them. Unfortunately, they were no different than a local cash transaction making dealership. I'll be tweeting this link to Mr. Anand Mahindra too.. The amount & money involved is not significant, but taking advantage of a vulnerable situation leaves the receiving party in a very bad taste..
If you are keen to sell the car, why are you so bothered with insurance renewal?

Let it expire and the next party get the insurance.

However, do ensure that you donot drive the car without valid insurance, just keep it parked at home.

Look for a buyer who gives you better value for money.
Old 14th April 2016, 12:08   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
FINAL Step : After the sale

• Notify the RTO (from where your car was registered) within 14 days of sale. Send a copy of all the 8 categories of documents that you were asked to retain (in the previous post). Include a covering letter and send the package via Regd. Post. Remember, the law states, until the car is in your name, you are responsible for it (even if the car is used for criminal activities or involved in a hit & run accident). Maintain the postal confirmation in your records. Once you receive delivery acknowledgement, you are indemnified of any liability related to the sold car. NOTE : In case, the buyer's address falls in the jurisdiction of another RTO, you will send an identical document set to them as well.

Thanks for the brilliant article. It is really helpful. I had one question on the above quote. To whom do I address the registered post at the RTO ?
I will be sending over the documents to Mumbai (MH-01) RTO as my vehcile is registered with them.

Do I address it to a particular person or a department ? Can you share additional details ?

Thanks!
Old 14th April 2016, 17:00   #358
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilip9 View Post
Thanks for the brilliant article. It is really helpful. I had one question on the above quote. To whom do I address the registered post at the RTO ?
No one in particular. IIRC, we just marked it as 'Regional Transport Office (RTO)'.
Old 17th April 2016, 09:29   #359
BHPian

I had recently bought an used car from a dealer. I have received only the delivery note and the the name transferred in my name in the registration certificate. Other forms like 27, 29 & 30 have not been received. The dealer claims that the Rto would retain these forms and that without them the name transfer would not have been possible. Should I insist on those forms?
Old 20th April 2016, 11:53   #360
BHPian

@Rakesh_r: I think you need to require NOC from Worli RTO, I sold MH03 registered car in Feb and Wadala RTO said that all NOC related work is shifted to Worli RTO. it has taken 40 min in worli RTO to submit & after 3 weeks NOC is issued. Did it myself.
Hope it helps you.

Last edited by shabahmad : 20th April 2016 at 11:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks