Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 16:07   #106
BHPian

Result_Transfer of Ownership Process at Indira Nagar RTO ,Bangalore

As you might have gone through my experience on the process regarding Transfer of Ownership of Car. Just to inform you all that I have received my updated Registration Certificate through Speed Post after 15 days of applying for the same. I even went to RTO on last Saturday to check for the RC ,RTO staff promptly checked for the same and updated me that it has been sent through Speed Post and in case if I don't receive till coming Tuesday ,then I can contact them on Wednesday (26/05/2010). But they did their job well and I received the same through Speed Post on Monday(24/05/2010). It seems that RTO's are improving (based on my own experience) and we can give a try for some of the work on our own at RTO .

For me this motivation came from reviews in T-BHP. Hats-off to all T-BHPians for sharing their experience.

Thanks
Old 27th May 2010, 16:06   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_k21 View Post
I'm moving onsite for a couple of years. I need advice on whether I should keep the car here (some friends can do intermittent run-in but not regular usage) or sell it off. I'm emotionally attached to my emotion pack car hence it's a difficult to think of selling it so fast. Secondly, my guess is although it's just around 8-9 months old, price depreciation will be quite considerable.
Is it a petrol? Fiats suffer from poor resale value and you stand to lose a LOT of $$$ in selling a year old example. On the other hand, if you are going to be away for a couple of years (say, over 2), best to book your losses and move on. No point having your friends run the car ever so often.

List the car in our classifieds. Good chance of you getting a better price (vis a vis used car dealers).
Old 1st July 2010, 10:57   #108
BHPian

Hi All,

I had bought a used GTX from mumbai through a dealer and transported it to Tamil Nadu, after a few days as promised the dealer got the NOC for my name and address and I had all the documents in place for me to transfer the car to my name. However I had too many Km's planned so I thought to switch to a diesel car and sold the car to a guy in Hyderabad, thinking that we can cancel the NOC in my name and take a new NOC for the new owner, now the dealer says the original owner has to come to RTO office to cancel the NOC and it may not happen as he is sick, he also asks me to register the car in TN then get a NOC to Hyderabad and once he pays the taxes there then I can claim the tax paid in TN.

My question is: should this procedure be so tough, cant we cancel NOC?, should the owner come to RTO office for it, Please suggest a viable option as registering the car in TN and again in AP is not really possible.

Cheers,

Makesh.R
Old 16th July 2010, 10:34   #109
BHPian

My new car's RC(Karnataka) is a smart card.What happens to the smart card when I sell the vehicle? How do I get a copy of RC transfer entry?
Old 17th July 2010, 11:57   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
My new car's RC(Karnataka) is a smart card.What happens to the smart card when I sell the vehicle? How do I get a copy of RC transfer entry?
Here's how the Tardeo (Mumbai) RTO works:

1. Older smart card (in seller's name) is deposited with the RTO and cancelled.

2. New smart card (in buyer's name) issued. On the top right, it says "2nd owner" (or 3rd, and so on).

3. Seller can retain a copy of the new smart card as proof that the car has been sold / transferred. Additionally, an application can be made to the RTO for confirmation of transfer.
Old 20th July 2010, 15:39   #111
BHPian

Whats the procedure for selling to dealers/ brokers?

i am planning to exchange my car at dealership

The dealer is asking me to wait 2 months before informing RTO.
Also, I have to sign the RC without buyer name filled..

Last edited by druva : 20th July 2010 at 15:43.
Old 20th July 2010, 16:09   #112
BHPian

druva, make sure you followup with the broker to make sure you know to whom the vehicle is being sold to. All road-side brokers are dangerous. I know a broker who sells car for a premium to people who never transfer pre-owned cars to their name. They use it for a hwhile (year or 2) without transfering and then sell it to some unknown buyer.

In most cases it would be fine, but what-if the car meets with an accident? the first owner would surely be in trouble. It is always better to get the documentation right to know who the buyer is when your selling your car.
Old 20th July 2010, 21:15   #113
Senior - BHPian

The best way to sell and buy used cars are through the True value or the exchange cars from the dealers. Though it is bit expensive the paper work etc are clean. I am worried to buy directly after some scam of selling stolen used cars with fake RC books in a town in Tamilnadu.
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:41   #114
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2010 at 13:59.
Makesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
Guys, any help is much appreciated.
I'm not an expert on this, but from whatever dealings I have had with the RTO and my experiences of transferring vehicles across states, the NOC will expire in 1 month automatically.

Then you can apply for a fresh NOC but yes, this will again have to come from Mumbai, and if the dealer isn't helpful enough you must directly contact the original owner of the car and have him get a fresh NOC that the new buyer can use.

The engine and chassis number imprints will be required for getting a new NOC so make sure that the person to whom you have sold the car in Hyderabad can get those for you on the appropriate form (in triplicate/quadruplicate as the case may be) and mail the forms to you. You can then pass them on to the original owner in Mumbai.

The dealer has suggested a very valid/legal way to do it but it will mean a lot of time + running around, and will add one more transfer to the RC, which has its own implications. So do this only as the last resort.

Regards,
spadix
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:43   #116
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2010 at 14:00.
Makesh is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th August 2010, 13:32   #117
BHPian

Hello. I need some advice
I sold my car around 4 months ago. The car is registered in Mumbai (Tardeo) RTO.This was done through an agent (A1) who arranged to sell the car to another agent (A2) in Hubli. My agent is quite reliable (come through references from a friend who has done trouble free deals through him. The price was negotiated between me and this other agent, all documents were signed and handed over. I kept the Delivery Note with me and gave the remaining papers over to my agent. A1 was purely a facilitator. All documents state that I have sold the car to A2.
A2 said that he has a ready buyer in Hubli and they will transfer the ownership themselves immediately.
I made the stupid mistake of believing him and did not send the Delivery Note and other papers to the Tardeo RTO. In the meanwhile, I was following up with both A1 and A2; then got busy with my marriage, home shifting and work related traveling.
Now, it seems that the ownership has not yet been transferred. I spoke to A2 a few days ago and he promised to send the documents by courier. These have not yet been received.
I have been speaking to A1 - he claims that he has been chasing this A2 repeatedly, but he gets the same reply - Papers have been couriered.
A1 has given me a solution. I am not sure whether this is OK, considering that things are already delayed.
A1 has asked me to prepare a covering letter intimating the RTO that I have sold the car to him (A1), mentioning his address and contact details. He will get this document registered with the RTO.
This he says will remove any legal liability from my side; simultaneously, in case A2 sells that car, he will not be able to transfer the ownership without getting consent from A1.

Will this work? More importantly, is this a legal and correct way? Any idea how much fine I will have to pay since I am way over the 14/30 days limit?
Or will I need to go to Hubli to chase this A2???

Best regards,
Old 30th August 2010, 17:36   #118
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a unique situation. I just need to do transfer of ownership for my car to my wife's name(for tax saving purpose). It's still on loan..few months to go. Do I have to go via this entire thing(including clearing the loan) even if I have to transfer it to my wife?I know it's obvious that I have to- Is there an easy way out to just transfer the ownership without much hassle especially in this situation? Thanks for your advices.

Regards, Nitin
Old 31st August 2010, 16:44   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya79 View Post
A1 has asked me to prepare a covering letter intimating the RTO that I have sold the car to him (A1), mentioning his address and contact details. He will get this document registered with the RTO.
Had you entered the buyer's details on the transfer forms? If so, send a copy of all the relevant documents to the Tardeo RTO with a covering letter (by Regd. Post please).

Or did you sign on blank documents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
I have a unique situation. I just need to do transfer of ownership for my car to my wife's name(for tax saving purpose). It's still on loan..few months to go. Do I have to go via this entire thing(including clearing the loan) even if I have to transfer it to my wife?
You'd need to foreclose your outstanding loan before the bank will allow a transfer of registration to your wife's name.
Old 31st August 2010, 17:27   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You'd need to foreclose your outstanding loan before the bank will allow a transfer of registration to your wife's name.
Wont that be a 2nd hand car even though its in the family? Depreciation will be more when one sells the car as its already a 2nd hand vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks