Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 11:41   #136
Senior - BHPian

^
That is a grim possibility. The car engine will not pass the current emission tests.

I assume you will rebuild this one with new heart but there will be a lots of hassles, I will advice against it.

Cheers!
Old 28th October 2010, 11:02   #137
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
  • The car is registered in his name and his Himachal Pradesh address
  • I live in Delhi and want to use it here.
This is the deal breaker to you : Non-BSIV cars can no longer be registered in the metros. Better you search for a Delhi-registered Esteem only. Used car prices are anyways the lowest in Delhi.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:41   #138
Senior - BHPian

To sell or not to sell?

I have a 2003 Sep Santro Xing AT with ABS. Car has low kms on the odo relative to its age, has been timely serviced from Hyundai A.S.S., never been in an accident, fairly good tires, no rust
My dilemma - should I sell now or keep for some more time?

Why sell now ?
1. I asked around and was offered 2 lakhs for it - which is a reasonable sized downpayment for a future car.
2. It is a low mileage car and high age car
3. Possible change to emission laws in future- may make running such a car in Delhi a real liability.

Why keep for some more time?
1. Nothing fundamentally wrong with the car. All it requires is a twice yearly checkup, oil change, and purrs along quite well.
2. No outstanding EMIs
3. Am thinking why not keep it - and go for LPG conversion to mitigate the emission and the mileage problem.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 26th December 2010, 14:52   #139
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

I stay in Bangalore and i am planning to buy a used car from true value of Hyundai. The dealer is quoting an amount of Rs.3000/- for transfer of ownership and one of the broker in RTO whom i know is quoting Rs.2500/-. What i understand is the smart card charge is 250/- and transfer of ownership may be maximum to the extent of Rs.300-500 as transfer fees. Then what is the difference amount. Is it fully bribe.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:57   #140
BHPian

^^^ I also had to pay Rs.3000/- when I bought a used car from Maruti True Value for 'registration charges'. But you can negotiate on this. Your dealer can waive this off if he wants. In my case, I had already negotiated hard on the price, so agreed.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:38   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
^^^ I also had to pay Rs.3000/- when I bought a used car from Maruti True Value for 'registration charges'. But you can negotiate on this. Your dealer can waive this off if he wants. In my case, I had already negotiated hard on the price, so agreed.

Samething with me i had also negotiated with the price to the core so the dealer was ready to take up the job only if paid separately at Rs.3000/-

I had enquired with a known RTO broker. The quote that he gave was Rs.1500/- for the same RTO and if buyer and seller belong to different RTO juridictions then a Clearence certificate has to be obtained thereby the charge for the same is Rs.1000/- extra.

The actual fees payable to the RTO is Rs. 250/- for the smart card. Rs.100/- for transfer of ownership and Clearence certifcate is obtained free of cost.

The remaining amount of Rs.2500-350=2150/- goes into the pocket of the RTO officers and the commission of the broker whom we hire. Isn't this too much
Old 5th January 2011, 19:26   #142
BHPian

We are planning to sell our Omni to Maruti True Value. I'm planning to buy an Alto in exchange, but right now we are more concerned about selling off the Omni. I have a few questions:

1. The FC of the Omni has expired about a month ago. Does it make sense to allow TV to take care of this? I understand that we'll lose a bit on resale.

2. I'm going with a known used car dealer such as TV primarily because I think the sale / ownership transfer will be hassle free. Am I right or it doesn't make much of a difference?

3. I haven't got down to negotiating the price of the new car (discounts, freebies, etc.). Should I take care of this as well before the sale?
Old 6th January 2011, 18:21   #143
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
The FC of the Omni has expired about a month ago. Does it make sense to allow TV to take care of this? I understand that we'll lose a bit on resale.
You mean Fitness Certificate? Without one, the RTO won't allow transfer of ownership and they'll get a bargaining point to lower the price. Why not get an RTO broker to complete the FC formalities, before you sell the car?

Quote:
2. I'm going with a known used car dealer such as TV primarily because I think the sale / ownership transfer will be hassle free. Am I right or it doesn't make much of a difference?
No difference. All depends on the person you are interacting with. Every organisation has its own share of angels & devils.

Quote:
I haven't got down to negotiating the price of the new car (discounts, freebies, etc.). Should I take care of this as well before the sale?
First, negotiate the best price on a new car (cross-shopping helps). Then, bring your trade-in (i.e. Omni) into the picture.
Old 26th January 2011, 20:56   #144
BHPian

Selling Car with Loan On

Guys,

I want to sell my i20 which is just a year old owing to long term relocation abroad.Still there is a 24 month car loan left.

Is it possible to sell the car with the loan still on? I mean is the loan transferable to another owner or is it to be settled first and then could be sold?
Old 27th January 2011, 18:04   #145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Selling Car with Loan On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos11 View Post
Guys,

I want to sell my i20 which is just a year old owing to long term relocation abroad.Still there is a 24 month car loan left.

Is it possible to sell the car with the loan still on? I mean is the loan transferable to another owner or is it to be settled first and then could be sold?
Unfortunately not. And if your financer is a private bank, they have hefty foreclosure fees (though the % can be bargained). The right way to sell your car would be : foreclose loan -> procure finance NOC -> remove hypothecation from your RC book (optional, buyer can also do this) -> sell car.

Let me add that you stand to lose a lot of money in selling a 1 year old car. Your first year EMIs primarily include an interest component. Then, there's the depreciation hit and, of course, the fore closure fees.

Isn't there anyone in your family who could use the car?
Old 28th January 2011, 17:44   #146
BHPian

Re: Selling Car with Loan On

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
foreclose loan -> procure finance NOC -> remove hypothecation from your RC book -> sell car.
Isn't there anyone in your family who could use the car?
Thanks GTO for the information,there is very little time left for me to complete the above process,sending the car to my family looks to be the only option now.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:56   #147
BHPian

Ok, I have read through this thread and I'm still having trouble getting my head around it all.

I am buying a 2nd hand bike, this bike is registered with Ponda RTO which is GA 05, I come under Mapusa RTO GA 03, can I have the bike registered in my name at the Ponda RTO or do I have to be hassled with transfering in to my local office (which will be a BIG pain)

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 11th February 2011, 19:09   #148

Guys i just sold off my Maruti Wagon R VXi,
a Jan 08 Model - Ocean Blue color, front PW, PM on both sides, fog lamps,
with 22.5k on the odo, all the services on time from Maruti A.S.S.

a pioneer 4050 headset with MTX THunder 6x9 pair in the rear, jbl in front,
insurance upto jul 11, all tyres were in good condition, will certainly last upto 40k. regn of gurgaon HR-26 AQ XXXX.
for 2.6 Lacs.

what say, was it a good / fair / average / low / bad deal??
just for opinion sakes. i have already given the keys, so now cant back off, and ofcourse thanx to team bhp for the extremely detailed section on how to sell your car had enlightened the soul in me.
Old 11th February 2011, 21:12   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Ok, I have read through this thread and I'm still having trouble getting my head around it all.

I am buying a 2nd hand bike, this bike is registered with Ponda RTO which is GA 05, I come under Mapusa RTO GA 03, can I have the bike registered in my name at the Ponda RTO or do I have to be hassled with transfering in to my local office (which will be a BIG pain)

Cheers,

Stefan
Ok it appears I need to register at my local RTO office, now I will use an agent, after last time registering our car, we had a lot of running around to do, the RTO office from where the seller is based, only requires an attested copy of ration card and form 30, now I don't know what my RTO office requires, they usually want an election card, which we don't have as yet, I can't do any affadavits, as our vehicles need to be in my wifes name (I have a foreign passport) and she's in Bombay for the next 7 weeks, but we do have the RC book for the current vehicle (which has almost been sold for a part exchange) is the RC book generally good enough as Id for registering another vehicle?
Old 10th March 2011, 15:56   #150
BHPian

Guys, almost closed the deal on my 2007 Swift VDi, need some information from the experienced guys here (specially GTO),

1. I will be asking the person to come along with me to deposit the cash to the nearest branch - Can depositing a huge amount in the bank result in an income tax notice about the explanation of the fund ? if yes, how to patch this up (take a delivery note with amount and buyers PAN card number ?)

2. Once the cash is deposited I will fill the person's name in the transfer form and sign the documents and drive down with the person to the concerned RTO for the initiation of the transfer process.

3. Get a sale deed signed by the buyer on a stamp paper - Is there a minimum denomination of the stamp paper ?

4. Carry the other steps as mentioned by GTO in the original initial post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks