Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2014, 11:33   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Frustrations while selling a worshipped car

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I sold my Palio of 10 years. Thankfully, a colleague of mine recommended it to my sister and she bought it.
Your sister needed your colleague's recommendation to buy it from you? She doesn't trust you?
Old 18th February 2014, 12:14   #272
Senior - BHPian

Re: Frustrations while selling a worshipped car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Your sister needed your colleague's recommendation to buy it from you? She doesn't trust you?
It was his sister, not mine .
Old 20th February 2014, 13:48   #273
Senior - BHPian

"Sale to dealer" notification - new RTO process needed?

Next year, my car will be 5 years old, and I have already started thinking about what car I will buy to replace it . I will be exchanging my existing car for a new one. So, in all probability, I will sell the car to the dealer, who will in turn pass it on to the second-hand dealer network. After that, I am not sure in whose hands the car will be in. But I am sure that the car will continue to be registered in my name until a buyer is found - whenever that might be.

I was speaking with a colleague of mine today, who narrated a slightly frightening story. His father is a Sub-Inspector of Police. Apparently, a bike was found abandoned at the scene of a murder. The owner's details on the RC Book was a retired college lecturer living 500km away. Knowing full well that the poor gentleman could have nothing to do with the murder, the cops traced the change of ownership of the bike through 5 hands until they got to the real culprits. Turned out, each time, the bike was sold on with just the original RC and blank transfer of ownership forms. The elderly gentleman was put through some considerable hardship until his name was cleared.

Isn't it time the RTO instituted an official process, whereby the owner (like me) would notify the RTO that I had sold my car to a dealer? The number of owners in the RC would not change, but the official "keeper" of the car would now be recorded as the dealer, who is now legally responsible for the car (and not me).

Your thoughts?

MODS: Please merge/move as appropriate, if necessary. Thanks.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 20th February 2014 at 13:50. Reason: Note to mods added
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 14:01   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "Sale to dealer" notification - new RTO process needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
.... Isn't it time the RTO instituted an official process, whereby the owner (like me) would notify the RTO that I had sold my car to a dealer? The number of owners in the RC would not change, but the official "keeper" of the car would now be recorded as the dealer, who is now legally responsible for the car (and not me).

Your thoughts?

MODS: Please merge/move as appropriate, if necessary. Thanks.
Check this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...car-india.html. Posts 1 to 5 in particular. Should answer all your questions.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 14:07   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Check this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...car-india.html. Posts 1 to 5 in particular. Should answer all your questions.
In the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1411821
see the bullet point "Have the RTO transfer forms and delivery note (all forms attached to this post) signed by both the parties (buyer and seller). Do NOT leave the buyer field blank, or sign on any other blank documents. If required, and time permitting, offer to visit the RTO together to complete the transfer".

When selling a vehicle to a dealer, the buyer field on the transfer form is ALWAYS BLANK unless the dealer already has a buyer lined up!! That, precisely, is the root of the problem here.
Old 20th February 2014, 14:28   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1411821
see the bullet point "Have the RTO transfer forms and delivery note (all forms attached to this post) signed by both the parties (buyer and seller). Do NOT leave the buyer field blank, or sign on any other blank documents. If required, and time permitting, offer to visit the RTO together to complete the transfer".

When selling a vehicle to a dealer, the buyer field on the transfer form is ALWAYS BLANK unless the dealer already has a buyer lined up!! That, precisely, is the root of the problem here.
Did you read the 5th post?

Quote:
A unique methodology shared by a BHPian who sold his car to a dealer :

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Well, I sold my Indica early this year to a used car dealer who I didnt know too well. Heres what I did.

At the time of delivery, I received cash and got a delivery note. However, I also got the dealer to sign a "Transfer of Ownership" form with HIM as the buyer. I retained the form with myself and told him that if he doesn't find a buyer in 45 days, I'll fill up the form and submit it to the RTO.

This way my "liability" was limited to 45 days

Around 40 days after the sale, he had sold the car and he came and got the form signed with the name of the actual buyer. Then I destroyed the first form in front of him. How did the whole arrangement help me? If the dealer "disappeared" or started ignoring me, I could have just transfered the car in his name and called the deal done! It wouldnt have been morally/ethically incorrect either.
The RTO has very clear instructions - sell the vehicle, transfer ownership. Now the dealer doesn't do it to keep the number of owners down. Also, he can't ask you to legally not transfer the car on his name. Do what the member in the quoted post above did.

If you don't want the liability even for those 45 days, better to sell it to an individual. You will get a higher price too.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 20th February 2014 at 14:29.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 14:31   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Same thread, read post #5 in detail. A possible work around for this problem is discussed. But I agree, that the dealer may not oblige always.
Old 20th February 2014, 14:46   #278
BHPian

It would be best to sell it among your known circle/ office/ acquaintance and ensure it is transferred immediately. Second choice is to advertise it yourself on the internet/ local newspaper/ your local mechanic and insist as a pre condition that the RC book transfer has to be done immediately and offer to go directly to the RTO or the agent together and submit the documents. Its a very risky affair to let the vehicle remain in your name. God forbid there is an accident and insurance has expired, the rc owner is legally bound to compensate any loss or injury to victim.
Still if left with no choice then better bet would be the car excange at the dealer place.(here dealer means the new car sale showroom)
Old 18th March 2014, 23:08   #279
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

I have a question. I recently bought a second hand Alto for my daughter studying in Nagpur. The registration is at Wadala RTO and transfer too is at Wadala RTO. I have received the Transfer Receipt and the Owner Acceptance note from RTO but expect to receive the transferred RC book in a month's time. Can I send the vehicle to Nagpur for her use on the basis of the Transfer Receipt or should I wait till I get the RC book in my name?
Old 23rd March 2014, 08:23   #280
BHPian

A quick question about Form 28: When you take the 3 originals, do you have to get it stamped by your RTO office on all 3 and give that to the buyer or are you just supposed to fill them up and let the buyer do the rest?

I'm a little confused about that alone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by lynx : 23rd March 2014 at 08:45.
Old 23rd March 2014, 08:54   #281
BHPian

PS: If the seller needs to do that (which I suspect might be the case), how do I go about doing it? Would I need to find an agent or can I just drive to my RTO office with the car and the filled out form 28 in triplicate and ask them to stamp it? If the latter, who (which officer) should I meet in the RTO office, and would I need to pay a fee?
Old 13th April 2014, 14:30   #282
BANNED

Guys, Quick Question.

Scenario

1. Car bought in 2006 in Mumbai in my Father's name. ( Mumbai no. )
2. Currently we live in Delhi since 4 yrs and want to Sell the Car here.
3. Called up a couple of RTO Agents in Mumbai to inquire about and complete NOC Process.
4. One agent asked to to send him the required documents to complete the work.

Here is the doubt..

5. However another agent said that since the Car is now more than 5 yrs old, in this situation you can get the NOC from Mumbai but you will not be able to do the Registration in another persons name ( Buyer ) in Delhi.

Is the above statement correct ?

I was under the impression that all that is needed to be done is to get NOC from RTO of original state and then the car can be Sold and Registered to a buyer in RTO of another state.

Is there a separate rule of cars beyond a certain no of yrs ?

Thanks.
Old 13th May 2014, 00:53   #283
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Guys, Quick Question.

Scenario

1. Car bought in 2006 in Mumbai in my Father's name. ( Mumbai no. )
2. Currently we live in Delhi since 4 yrs and want to Sell the Car here.
3. Called up a couple of RTO Agents in Mumbai to inquire about and complete NOC Process.
4. One agent asked to to send him the required documents to complete the work.

Here is the doubt..

5. However another agent said that since the Car is now more than 5 yrs old, in this situation you can get the NOC from Mumbai but you will not be able to do the Registration in another persons name ( Buyer ) in Delhi.

Is the above statement correct ?

I was under the impression that all that is needed to be done is to get NOC from RTO of original state and then the car can be Sold and Registered to a buyer in RTO of another state.

Is there a separate rule of cars beyond a certain no of yrs ?

Thanks.
Not that I know of. Not too long ago my wife got her uncles 13 year old Santro sent across from Delhi to Mumbai with no hiccups. We got the NOC from Delhi and transferred the car to MH registration in her name.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 23:30   #284
BHPian

Lets say I stay in jurisdiction of RTO A and have bought a car, whose life time tax has been paid, which is registered in jurisdiction of RTO B within Bangalore.

1. Is it necessary to apply for transfer of ownership a RTO A only? In which case I would require to apply for NOC in RTO B

2. Can I apply for transfer of ownership at RTO B itself? Lets say the RTO B is close enough to my house and I am ok with visiting RTO B, should the need arise, at any time during the ownership.

3. Does there have to be a correlation between residence address and RTO within the same city?

I am asking this as I have met and spoken to several people whose vehicles have been registered in RTO's which does not have jurisdiction in the area of owners residence.

This question is w.r.t Bangalore only.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:00   #285

I have a car registered in my name in pune rto. I want to transfer it to my father who is in kerala (KOttayam rto). What would I need to do? I understand I will need an noc from pune. Are the rest of the forms standard across all rto.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks