Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 00:06   #361
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Ok, newbie here, just had a few queries
I have a Swift Dzire Zxi 2008, Glistening Grey color, 28,000 km's done on the odometer. No accidents, minor scratches here and there inevitable in Mumbai B2B, new tyres (XM2), new clutch, 50% NCB (thanks to TBHP I know I can have that transferred to a new car)
I have asked 2 places (local garage & NEXA trade-in evaluator) they quoted Rs. 2,00,000 - 2,30,000.
What kind of value should I expect?
Many thanks

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 22nd April 2016 at 00:23.
Old 23rd April 2016, 14:24   #362
BHPian

Many thanks to BHP-ians (esp GTO) who have shared their valuable experiences on this thread.
I am a newbie when it comes to buying and selling cars, here's my situation.
2002 Tata Indica Diesel (95k on odo, DLE v2) registered in Hyderabad.

I am trying to sell this at the earliest (got a quote of 60k from a dealer).
Having read some of the horror stories about cars being sold but ownership/insurance not getting transferred, I am VERY keen to avoid that situation.
I want to to sell it as quickly as possible with minimum hassle and I am willing to get less for it if it can be done cleanly.

I am also not keen on listing on OLX/other portals and fielding calls repeatedly. (but if no other option, then will do this).
Questions:

1. Is there a reputable dealer/ company (in Hyderabad) who will take it off my hands quickly and ENSURE that it gets transferred to buyers name?

2. I have read about Mahindra FirstChoice, Maruti TrueValue, and Tata Motors Assured. Can someone guide me if I should approach (any/all?) these firms to make the sale? If I sell to one of them, the ownership will get transferred only after they sell my car to another person right? Given that I have no way of knowing how long that will take, is that a good idea?
Also, in the intervening time till the car gets sold and RC gets transferred, if there is an accident/misuse, then will I be liable for it?

3. Even if I take all precautions such as getting a delivery note/affidavit. it seems ultimately these things have only limited legal validity. For total peace of mind the RC transfer is essential. Is my understanding correct?

Please help me in finding a way to sell my car, like I said I dont mind getting a lesser price as long as I can transfer the ownership with perfect legality.

Many thanks!
Old 5th May 2016, 09:15   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anybody have experience in selling/trying to sell a close-to or more than 10 year old diesel in Delhi NCR ever since the ban has come into effect?
Old 27th May 2016, 09:07   #364
BHPian

Folks,

I'm planning to sell my used Swift to a colleague. Transferer and transferee RTO are different but in same city (bangalore). I have read through the entire post and pretty much no questions. However given it could take a month for CC from the transferer RTO and then more time to complete stuff at the tranferee RTO, is it advisable to handover the car after a sale deed is done + transferer RTO notified/ack obtained + delivery note is taken?

Or not recommended to hand over till the ownership transfer actually happens at the transferee RTO?
Old 28th May 2016, 16:15   #365
BHPian

I could sell my car off to an individual buyer, many thanks to all the TeamBHPians who have shared their experiences. You have all helped me avoid making any mistakes and made life much smoother. Many thanks GTO-bhai for putting together that excellent how-to guide.
Even the agent at the RTA was surprised at how well prepared we were with the documents.
TeamBHP rocks!
grazd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 04:00   #366

Allright, here is my tricky situation. I own a Honda City ZX Gxi registered in Gurgaon Haryana. Its a 2007 model that clocked 92K. Fitted with CNG and endorsed on my RC book.
I took NOC from Gurgaon in 2013 September. Shifted to Bangalore and paid KA road tax (whopping 68K). They retained a copy of my NOC and RC book and further issues a RC book (smart card) still with my HR number on it. They said I could apply for KA reg number after a few months. Whola, I got a good job offer in Hyderabad and approached Blore RTO who issued NOC in Dec 2015, took back the smartcard (issues by KA govt) and returned my original RC book of Gurgaon, HR with details of TAX paid on it (hand written and stamped). They did not return the Gurgaon RTO NOC though. I reached Hyderabad, showed NOC and paid another whopping 58K tax (Mar 2016). Now I plan to sell the car in Hyderabad and got a potential buyer too (planning to buy TUV 300).
I have the below
- Original RC book issues by Gurgaon RTO
- Tax paid receipts of Blore RTO and Hyd RTO bearing my HR registration number
- NOC issues by Blore RTO (Gurgaon RTO was retained by Blore RTO)

What should be the process followed for
1. Making sure I declare my car sold to the RTO, if so, which RTO I should notify
2. How difficult it would be for the new buyer to aply for Change of Ownership
3. Am I entitled for refund of Tax paid in Blore RTO- if so when can I apply

I wish I am in a better position but can't help. Hence need help of my fellow BHPians..

Awaiting help.
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:51   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Step TWO : Interacting with potential buyers

• Be straight-forward in your interactions. Don’t get overly aggressive (or eager to sell), yet remain to-the-point.

• Inevitably, you will get a lot of time-wasters. Know how to manage your time and focus on serious inquiries only. Screen potential buyers over the phone / email at your discretion.

• It’s better (and safer) to have buyers come over to your office (rather than home). Alternatively, a public place (mid-way) may be chosen. Be punctual and insist on the same from the potential buyer.

• Do NOT let the potential buyer go for a test-drive alone. They should always be accompanied by yourself or your representative (friend, driver etc.).

• NEVER sell the car in a hurry, or feel pressurized to make a sale. Feel free to take some time to think. Note : If the deal is between two Team-BHPians, a win-win deal is top priority

• If the buyer wants to have the car evaluated by a mechanic / authorized service station, that’s a reasonable request and one that points toward serious intent. Ideally, the mechanic should come to your place, or the garage should be close to your home / office.

• If the buyer wishes to confirm the deal, but needs time to arrange for the finance, negotiate a reasonable deposit amount (Rs. 10,000 – 30,000 should do). Be clear on a timeframe by when the full payment must be made, else the deposit will entirely belong to you, and you can proceed with selling the car to somebody else. Generally, a deadline of 7 - 10 days is permissible.
I feel we should add some more content about safety of the car from being getting stolen during the interaction with potential buyer and one's own safety.
Just last week, my neighbour, who was in process of selling his Scorpio found himself in a shock when the driver, in the pretext of exchanging seats during Test Drive, ran away with the car while the owner was moving from passenger seat to driver seat from behind.
I feel following points should be considered as safety aspects looking at that incident
a) Please keep a valid ID proof of the prospect at your home before offering him a Test Drive
2) Do not offer Test Drives at night and especially in dark narrow lanes
3) Always have a friend or family member accompany you in the car while you are offering Test Drive to a prospect
4) Please keep your kids away from Test Drive especially with an unknown person driving your car
5) Please ask the prospect to remove the keys from ignition and hand it over to you while you swap your seats.

such things happen seldom but can cause a lot of monetary loss and mental trauma seeing your vehicle stolen in front of you within 2 feet distance.

Hope such additions would help people remain aware of their safety

Last edited by Cooltronics : 22nd June 2016 at 13:55. Reason: language correction
Cooltronics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:11   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I had recently bought an used car from a dealer. I have received only the delivery note and the the name transferred in my name in the registration certificate.
That is all you will get - if your name appears on the RC , you are the registered owner of the car.

Is this a paper RC or a card? (only TN07 used to issue card RCs from 2009 or so)
Old 22nd June 2016, 20:01   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
That is all you will get - if your name appears on the RC , you are the registered owner of the car.

Is this a paper RC or a card? (only TN07 used to issue card RCs from 2009 or so)
It is a paper RC. Mine is from the TN06 RTO.
Old 17th July 2016, 16:47   #370
BHPian

I am in the process of selling a Bangalore registered car in Bangalore. The buyer wants to get it registered in Mysore. So do I just have to sign and give the Form28 or is it my responsibility to get a NOC from Bangalore RTO and hand over to him? Kindly suggest
Old 22nd July 2016, 18:20   #371

Thank you for this informative post.

I would like to know is it safe to share a copy of the RC book (Smart Card) to the potential buyers before a deal is closed?

In my case the buyer is from another state and has requested me to share a copy of the smart card on whatsapp before he can confirm this deal? Is it safe to share, please advise..
Old 5th August 2016, 13:28   #372
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Rohit Agarwal for sharing the full set of documents required to transfer a car in Karnataka !

Documents are attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BLR Vehicle Transfer Docs.pdf (10.59 MB, 26860 views)
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 07:58   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
I am in the process of selling a Bangalore registered car in Bangalore. The buyer wants to get it registered in Mysore. So do I just have to sign and give the Form28 or is it my responsibility to get a NOC from Bangalore RTO and hand over to him? Kindly suggest
Your job is to sign the required transfer paperwork and hand it to the buyer - and his job entirely to facilitate whatever RTO paperwork that is needed, after all it is his choice to re-register the car in another city. Anyway, it is much easier for a karnataka to karnataka transfer - though if he does it within bangalore it is going to be far easier.

http://rto.kar.nic.in/TO-OTHREGNcss.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossycool View Post
I would like to know is it safe to share a copy of the RC book (Smart Card) to the potential buyers before a deal is closed?

In my case the buyer is from another state and has requested me to share a copy of the smart card on whatsapp before he can confirm this deal? Is it safe to share, please advise..
Give him the car license number and he can look it up at https://vahan.nic.in if he wants the chassis number to verify.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 15:17   #374
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
I am in a bit of a predicament.
I had a 2012 Fiat Punto Emotion for sale, and the sale was agreed with a buyer.
Now, here's where things started to get interesting.

Since the buyer is was Pune, I had to arrange an NOC which took its own sweet time thanks to my agent bungling up on some documents. It took a better part of 45 days.
Now that the NOC is issued from the Thane RTO in the name of the buyer from Pune, the buyer has not arranged for the rest of the payment. He has so far paid less then 1/3rd of the amount.

There is a chance the deal may have to be cancelled as I am not getting a clear reply from the buyer as to what the hold up is. Moreover, I am away from India and the car is being kept at my parents place where my brother takes care of it.

If, the deal does stand cancelled, what happens next? I've been told by the agent that since the NOC is in the buyers name the car is as good his. And i will now have to get the car transferred to his name and then again sell it. So now whoever buys the car, will be the third owner. Is my understanding correct? Or the agent is talk from his rear.

Looking forward to all the help I can get.

Kind regards,
Hiren
Old 8th August 2016, 15:39   #375
Senior - BHPian

Oh lord. Get the NOC cancelled would be my advice. Fairly tough now that you went and got a noc issued in the name of the buyer.

Remember - the NOC says in part "you have sold the vehicle to [xyz] for consideration received". Never do that with just part of the cash received.

And next time please never process rto documents for any except yourself, when selling to a 3rd party, only after you have received all the cash upfront.

There is an alternative - time consuming, involving giving an affidavit that the NOC in question has not been used, that the transaction is not complete etc. You had better consult a good lawyer first.

Last edited by hserus : 8th August 2016 at 15:40.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks