Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2018, 14:58   #541
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Sold our used old Baleno in Kochi last week. It took just "45 minutes" for the transfer. Filled in the forms 29 and 30, went to the Kakkanad RTO with the new buyers and entered the fast track counter. There were hardly anyone in the queue. By the time we reached home, the ownership had already been transferred (checked the same in the Kerala motor vehicles website). This helped us in preventing the dreadful "14 day period" which is usually there for transfer of vehicles in Kerala, where we are not sure if the new owner would cause any accidents.
kiranknair is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 21:07   #542
BHPian

Hi folks, I needed your advice regarding a strange situation my dad is in right now.
10 years back my dad sold his Santro to a so called individual when we bought Honda city zx. At the time of selling my dad made sure that all paperworks were signed and transfer was done. He has all the copies of all the forms and certificates involved in transfer of ownership. He also has copy of acknowledgedment from indira nagar rto and the buyer also gave a copy of a proper declaration from rto(with 105 rupees challan) bearing my dads photo and details as well as the buyers details and photo(stating that the ownership has been transferred in buyers name).
Recently we bought a used Eon and my dad was following up with transfer of name in RC online when he thought of checking the status of our old Santro by chance.
To his surprise he saw his name being reflected on the computer screen as the owner even after 10 years. Now we are in a great fix. We don't know to whom we should approach or cross check with(we don't have buyers contact other than his address).
Also we made an observation that over the last 10 years there was no traffic violation challan sent to our house address or on dad's mobile (we have been residing at the same address for the last 15-16 years).
We tracked through insurance and Hyundai service that the car was further sold to a third person within few months.
Dear Bhpians please advise what needs to be done now. Should we approach the rto or police or there's nothing to worry about as such(is there chance of technical glitch/carelessness on rtos part). We have a copy of the buyers passport. We also have pictures of the time when we sold the car along with the buyer.
Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd May 2018, 20:43   #543
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I have finalized on selling my car to one of the private buyer. The car that I own is hypothecated as there is some finance running on it. I will be applying for a clearance certificate from the financier tomorrow after clearing my dues.

However, the purchaser of my car was requesting for a clearance certificate from the RTO under which my car is currently registered. I have registered my car at Kondapur, RTA. However the buyer of the car is under different RTA limits and therefore asking me to provide clearance certificate.

I was thinking that the financier clearance certificate in itself will be sufficient for the buyer to proceed with his registration. Can anyone suggest what is the document that I should be providing from my RTA?

Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:28   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post
Can anyone suggest what is the document that I should be providing from my RTA?
This is also called as NOC. You can apply online using the Telengana RTO portal. This is required when the buyers RTO is not in the same circle as the sellers. You can apply for the NOC online, pay a nominal fee and book an appointment at the RTO. At the RTO, you will have to sign and surrender your RC. You will then be provided with a NOC which the buyer will have to submit at his RTO.
Make sure that this is done after you clear all the balances with the Financer and get the NOC from the financer.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:42   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Should we approach the rto or police or there's nothing to worry about as such(is there chance of technical glitch/carelessness on rtos part).
It is not ok. It is a serious issue. You should defenitly report this to the rto and police. High chances are it is not a technical glitch on the rto's part. If any mishap happen where the car is involved, your father will be answerable to the court. You should make sure that the ownership is transferred to the current owner.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:58   #546
BHPian

Thanks for the advice Flyer. Just wanted to update recently we went to the traffic police and explained the entire story to the officer and showed him the documents. He was convinced with the entire record/paperwork we had and told us not to worry and keep the documents safely and assured my dad is not responsible for the car owner anymore. He said that it is probably a fault on rto's part for not updating it in the digital database, though the record of transfer of ownership will be existing in the form of a hardcopy (10 years back not all government agencies were using digital platform). He suggested to write a letter to the concerned rto to bring this error to their notice.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 23:00   #547
BHPian

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have the following two questions further in this regard.

a) What all documents need to be carried to the RTO for obtaining this certificate?

b) Also as you have mentioned below that I will have to surrender my RC to the RTO, how long would it take for the RTO to issue me the NOC as the buyer is looking for an immediate sale? Also, this would mean that I have to be doubly sure that buyer does not back out from the transaction for any reason? Am I right?

c) Do you suggest an alternative process to just clear the hypothecation from RC and getting back a RC with no hypothecation mentioned would be better? If yes, do you have any idea on how long the new RC would take to be issued?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
This is also called as NOC. You can apply online using the Telengana RTO portal. This is required when the buyers RTO is not in the same circle as the sellers. You can apply for the NOC online, pay a nominal fee and book an appointment at the RTO. At the RTO, you will have to sign and surrender your RC. You will then be provided with a NOC which the buyer will have to submit at his RTO.
Make sure that this is done after you clear all the balances with the Financer and get the NOC from the financer.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Old 3rd May 2018, 08:17   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post
Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have the following two questions further in this regard.

c) Do you suggest an alternative process to just clear the hypothecation from RC and getting back a RC with no hypothecation mentioned would be better? If yes, do you have any idea on how long the new RC would take to be issued?

Thanks!
I have answered these on the other post here where you have asked the same question.

I think it might be better to remove the hypothecation and request for NOC. New RC generally takes 10-15 days to arrive.

Hope this helps you.
Old 8th May 2018, 07:45   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To hand over to the buyer:
Finance NOC, if applicable:
To retain with yourself:
Excellent guidance.

But I still have a query (maybe I have intelligence constipation when it comes to legal matters !).

I'm selling my 5.5 years old Figo to a person not belonging to the same RTO jurisdiction. I have cleared all the outstanding bank loan for my outgoing car. Now:-

1) Should I give only the NOC issued from Bank to the Buyer during handover or

2) I have to inform my RTO regarding end of Hypothecation and apply for fresh Smart card, and deposit Form 29 for "change of ownership" after that ?

Please help

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th May 2018 at 08:16. Reason: Formatting post.
doctorsmile82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 10:13   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Thanks for the advice Flyer. Just wanted to update recently we went to the traffic police and explained the entire story to the officer and showed him the documents.
Try to obtain the RC extract from the Bangalore One which has lot more details regarding the vehicle. It costs about Rs.20 and 5 minutes. Even those details are unchanged send a registered post to RTO regarding the same with copy of relevant documents or email it to the rto office and keep the copies with you. Email addresses for the rtos are listed in this link http://transport.karnataka.gov.in/in...cers_Bengaluru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsmile82 View Post
Excellent guidance.

But I still have a query (maybe I have intelligence constipation when it comes to legal matters !).

I'm selling my 5.5 years old Figo to a person not belonging to the same RTO jurisdiction. I have cleared all the outstanding bank loan for my outgoing car. Now:-

:
Hypothecation removal is your responsibility. Technically you can not sell your car as it is hypothecated as per RTO records. You should first remove the hypothecation in RTO and then sell the car.

Last edited by aadya : 8th May 2018 at 10:19. Reason: additional info.
Old 25th May 2018, 14:06   #551
BHPian

Excellent Article and perfect information. Thanks a lot GTO
Old 31st May 2018, 19:53   #552
BHPian

Any sample of covering letter which needs to be sent to both RTOs? Like what exactly needs to be mentioned? And how is the acknowledgement received from RTO?
Old 31st May 2018, 20:04   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Any sample of covering letter which needs to be sent to both RTOs? Like what exactly needs to be mentioned? And how is the acknowledgement received from RTO?
The covering letter is on white paper in plain english that you have enclosed such and such documentation, having sold your car number XYZ to Mr.ABC

Acknowledgement - if you mail the RTO these, send it by Regd A/D post. Else if you physically submit the documentation, you will just have to carry a xerox of your covering letter and they will stamp and sign that, return it to you, and that serves as your acknowledgement.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:01   #554
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used this website during the transfer of ownership phase (e.g. when selling your car?)
https://parivahan.gov.in

I just saw this website and it allows me to pay fees for 'transfer of ownership' and asks me to fill the buyer details. Total fees is only Rs. 550.

Are the forms on page 1 of this thread still needed to be submitted physically to RTO after payment of fees online? Or are there any other steps which are also possible to be done online?
Old 3rd July 2018, 22:06   #555
BHPian

Folks,

When one sells a vehicle, what happens to the insurance ? Does the insurance gets transferred in the name of the buyer ? If so, what is the procedure to do the same ? In this case, would I still get to claim the NCB (50%) from this for my newer vehicle (where NCB is just 20%) ?

In my case, the car is being sold to a friend who'd get the vehicle registered in another state, in about a month's time. All paper work, except the RTO NOC is ready. However, the insurance validity will end in about 25 days. For the 5-7 days after my current policy ends, and the car is reregistered in other state, in my friend's dad's name, what happens to the insurance ?

Kindly guide and enlighten. Thanks in anticipation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks