Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/67729-article-how-run-your-new-car-15.html)

@Narencar: please go through this thread you will get an idea, ideally change engine oil at 1000km so that any metal particle that get dislodged during run in is also removed from the system. You can use any oil with same specification as recommended in the manual. Do replace the oil filter also, for which you need a special tool.

You can definitely request the service center to replace the oil and oil filter at your cost, if its not part of regular free service package.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1126749)
In the run in period, try to keep below 100kmph, and always drive with the rpm below 50% of the max rpm.
For example if your car redline is 5000rpm, drive max at 2500rpm, on occasionally go above that.
Do this for first 1500kms.
Also avoid driving at same rpm for long distance, so rpm should go varying across the range.

When you start the car first time in the morning, idle for 1-2 minutes(if you are at a cold place like Delhi).
Otherwise 15 second idle is enough.

I have recently bought spark base model which comes without rpm meter. How can I know if I am crossing the limit or not. I came across a similar thread in forum talking about engine sound to determine crossing the RPM. If that is the case I may need some more explanation on the sameplease:.

Check owners manual for gear change speed, you can safely keep 3/4 of the top speed mentioned there for each of the gears, during the running in period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkguy (Post 1176224)
I have recently bought spark base model which comes without rpm meter. How can I know if I am crossing the limit or not. I came across a similar thread in forum talking about engine sound to determine crossing the RPM.

Sparkguy, congrats on your new toy!
Just drive easy for the running in.
Don't push the car. You can very easily be pushing by being in too high a gear at too low a speed. Engine rpm will not help in this case as it will be well below 3/4 of rated.
Best will be to try and follow maker's recommendations for speed vs gear changes. This will be given in the owner's manual. :)

Don't worry too much, modern cars are not hyper-sensitive to running in!

My method of running in has always been:

For the first 1000 km (or whatever the running in distance is), upshift at exactly the max. speed recommended by the manufacturer for the running in period. If you have a tacho, nothing like it to help upshifting at exactly the same rpm in each gear.

You can push a new car until the limits specified by the manufacturer for running in. Do not be in a hurry to upshift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1176679)
If you have a tacho, nothing like it to help upshifting at exactly the same rpm in each gear.

Kindly note he does NOT have a tacho, as he has already said! Hence all these 'alternative' tips being given! :)

'If' is not the same as 'since', is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1176730)
'If' is not the same as 'since', is it?

Alas! :Frustrati

Post no 212 on the same page!
And you getting aggressive!
Kindly acknowledge you had not read it! There is grace in that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkguy (Post 1176224)
I have recently bought spark base model which comes without rpm meter.

I got a Swift D- LDI on Dec 19 and have completed 7500KM already. This sums up to around 125 KM/Day. I went for a 500KM highway drive the next day I got (Sister's wedding, I had to!) and after that very regular highway drives to Chennai/Coimbatore/Madurai a mix of bad/good and great roads.

At the moment I feel the car has held up very well, There are absolutely no rattles; gives me good average (15-18 KMPL in city and around 20+ on highways). Has awesome initial pick up- I just cant find flaws except for the engine noise inside the cabin; compared to a petrol car the noise is quite evident, I do need to test drive another Diesel to know if my car makes more noise. I have shown it to the showroon guys (Kalyani) and they felt it was normal.

Since its a LDI- it was difficult to keep tab on the RPM, however I made sure I did not cross 100 before the first service (though there were times when we ended up at 120 without realising) and have kept the limit to 120 after the first service.

Do you think I may have issues as the car clocks more KMs?

Swami, nobody is getting aggressive. My post was a general one about running in, not necessarily pertaining to a base Spark.

Toyota innova owners manual does not contain any run in instructions. The dealer also recommended that no run in was no needed.

But somewhere in the manual along with the driving tips it is mentioned that always change gears in correct rpm and don't rev the engine too hard.

SamuraiJack - Diesel engine noise will definitely be more than petrol engine. IN addition DDIS has a chain drive for timing . Due to this chain we have additional noise generated. Nothing to worry about.

Maruti Dezire VDI ,delivery recvd on Feb28,09. At present clocked 650km only. First Free Service reminder SMS recvd from Vendor. Seek advice from Forum : is it mandatory to do first service from the vendor from whom we hv purchased ? Engine oil and oil filter shd be replaced new during first service but which brand of engine oil shd be
preffered instead of standard oil supplied by Vendor. Shall we complete 1000kms then go for servicing? Shall be very grateful for advice from Senior BHP ians since this is my first Diesel Car.

Have replied inline in BOLD

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjoy50 (Post 1240578)
Maruti Dezire VDI ,delivery recvd on Feb28,09. At present clocked 650km only. First Free Service reminder SMS recvd from Vendor. Seek advice from Forum :

is it mandatory to do first service from the vendor from whom we have purchased ?

Not really, you can approach and reputed maruiti dealer workshop

Engine oil and oil filter should be replaced new during first service but which brand of engine oil should be preffered instead of standard oil supplied by Vendor.

This is upto you, if you want to pamper go ahead and replace the oil and filter. This will be charged since its not recommended by maruti.

Shall we complete 1000kms then go for servicing? Shall be very grateful for advice from Senior BHP ians since this is my first Diesel Car.

If your workshop can accept the free service coupon after one month prescribed by Maruti. Yes its better to wait. Otherwise you will land up paying from the pocket

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1240715)
Have replied inline in BOLD

many thanks for your guidance . Did the first service through the most noted vendor"Machino Techno"in Kolkata. With 866km clocking in 38 days,did not wait to complete 1000kms as you wisely warned not to miss the one month free service dateline.

Though we did not insist on Engine oil change,the service person himself recommended and poured 2.9 ltrs "Delvac Super 1300" engine oil but he refused to change oil filter which he certified for 5000kms.Total charges for first free service came to Rs.479/- only. Kindly let us know Fuel tank capacity for Dezire VDI as we are having some doubts about 40 ltrs tank capacity claim. Also pl guide how to get the best effects of TURBO.