Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 07:04   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
I thought that speed should not exceed 80 KM for the running in period for most vehicles. Am I wrong?
Yes, completely, and that is why the thread starter opened this discussion, because lots of people still hold on to this quaint concept! A sure fire way of ruining a new engine is to observe this as one dictum, and once the running in kms are over, drive the car at high rpms at long times on highways. Even if one were to look at just this one dictum, the top speed in running in would have to be a percentage - say 65-70% - of the car's top speed. With occasional burst to 80% ( if otherwise safe!). One cannot express this as an absolute number, like 80km for all cars of today, there is too much variation in the cars in the market now on top speeds.
And it is more important that the engine is not stressed at low rpms under load, than achieve high rpms at the matching road speed for the gear the car is in. Most of the times, it is the former that messes up the engine big time. Which again, is there in the history of this thread.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:39   #302
BHPian

@GTO

Thanks for the inputs.

@Sawyer

Point taken. I agree that lower RPM in higher gear will be bad running in practice. Overall, stressing the engine for too long in any life period of car is something I would consider unhealthy for a car. Thanks guys, am leaving tonight for Chennai and will update once I get back.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:56   #303
Senior - BHPian

ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

First some Off-Topic introduction (This might help to know the background of Vehicle Usage after Purchase)--

As my profile indicates, we are Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Co. Ltd. Electrical Contractors. We undertake Erection-cum-Supply of MSEDCL Substations at various places. At most places, the substations are to be erected in rural areas and as such the roads are not suitable for Sedans. Our both Indigos' belly scrapped many times (even with Ground Clearance of 165mm). So we need a MUV for "visiting/delivering some (Not All) materials" at those Sites of MSEDCL Sub-Stations during the work is being carried.

First we thought of buying Bolero as our budget was around 6.5-7.0 lakhs. But later we changed our decision and now going for Xylo since we want to use that MUV for occassional Family Tours. (I know we have to increase our budget and we did.)

Now the On-Topic Part Follows--
We are planning to buy Mahindra Xylo E8-ABS within next 8-10 days.

We live in Solapur (Maharashtra). I have a doubt that if we buy the Xylo from Local Mahindra Dealer, would the MUV be brought to Solapur by driving or by Transport. If its brought by driving, would not the driver drive the car at more than recommended speed for first 1000kms (e.g 100-120kph) and frequent acceleration, gearshifts, and braking.
Is it OK to drive in such rash manner in MODERN Engines?
Or should we buy it from a Pune Dealer (I guess the Mahindra Plant is nearby Pune) since he must not have driven the car harshly?
After purchase, the car would be used as per Mahindra Recommended Speeds (if I use it for first 1000kms. Most Probably I would).

Please clear my doubts as soon as possible as we have to carry out the loan and other procedures.
And I hope the answer to this thread will help many Prospective Buyers of Brand New Modern Vehicles.
Experts, Please enlighten this thread with Valuable Information since this thread will help many other Readers.
If similar thread already exists, please merge.
Old 20th October 2009, 06:46   #304
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread merged.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:14   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
If its brought by driving, would not the driver drive the car at more than recommended speed for first 1000kms (e.g 100-120kph) and frequent acceleration, gearshifts, and braking.
Is it OK to drive in such rash manner in MODERN Engines?

Does Mahindra specify any top speed durig run in period in the manual?
I know Hyundai does not for its i10!
The manual only suggests NOT to run the car at one continuous speed or RPM for long, and vary both speed adnd engine rpm during the run in period. Thats it!
Old 20th October 2009, 10:22   #306
Senior - BHPian

No need for babying the engine like that of a Motorcycle in new cars. Even the manual of Alto, which is not the latest generation, mentions a top speed of 100 KM and constantly varying the engine speed for the first 1000 KM, when the first service/oil change falls due. After this there are no restrictions according to MASS.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:17   #307
BHPian

Hi

any corolla owners here who can throw soem light on breakin for Altis. I have kust purchased an Altis which has doen abt 60 kms. I am ensuring as of now that the RPM does not go above 2000 and also i vary the rpms wihtin this. Any other precautions ?
Does Toyota do a oil change after 1000kms?

The sales guy mentioned an oil change at first service but the manual does not indicate this.

Hope to hear from you guys

Cheers

Ramesh
Old 20th October 2009, 16:52   #308
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If its brought by driving, would not the driver drive the car at more than recommended speed for first 1000kms (e.g 100-120kph) and frequent acceleration, gearshifts, and braking. Or should we buy it from a Pune Dealer (I guess the Mahindra Plant is nearby Pune) since he must not have driven the car harshly?
After purchase, the car would be used as per Mahindra Recommended Speeds (if I use it for first 1000kms. Most Probably I would).
Dealers are known to abuse cars. A couple of kms within their showroom premises and around are inevitable, but if the dealer is going to drive down the car to Solapur, I would prefer to drive my brand new vehicle myself (as I did for my Mitsu Lancer). It is best to stay conservative, and yet vary speeds, within the first 1,000 kms. Do NOT redline.
Old 20th October 2009, 18:16   #309
Team-BHP Support

I would strongly recommend you do the delivery and drive to Solapur, drivers cannot be trusted to take car. I have seen some very careful ones also but more number of absolute numbs kulls who dont care about the vehicles. So why take a chance.

If its being trucked then its ok.
Old 22nd October 2009, 22:40   #310
BHPian

+1 . I saw a brand new Ford Ikon TDCI being ripped to glory by the dealership driver during my diwali trip to my native place. I know that this is a brand new car because it got registered on the same day when i got my car registered before diwali. If you are asking your dealer to deliver it to your place then be prepared to have some shocks.

Coming onto runin period question, i drove my first 1500 Kms on Highway and i was varying the RPM between 2000 to 3000 RPM and sometimes touched 4000RPM (trying to catch that IKON) is this a correct way to perform run in on my brand new car or did i successfully blown my engine? :(
Old 22nd October 2009, 23:38   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I would strongly recommend you do the delivery and drive to Solapur, drivers cannot be trusted to take car.
But would the Dealer allow me to take Delivery at the Factory itself (I and Dealer are from Solapur and I guess the Xylo would be brought from Pune. The Distance of Pune-Solapur is 250-300kms depending on the route taken). I am not sure whether a person from the Dealer go to Pune and drive back the car to Solapur or the car being trucked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
If its being trucked then its ok.
The Sales Guy told me that they bring the Xylos in Truck and not by driving the formers. But they drive the Scorpios instead of Trucking.
So I smell something Wrong here.
Any advice on this would be welcome.
Old 31st October 2009, 04:34   #312
BHPian

The dealer would not allow you to take the delivery from factory, and on your second question it could be a possibility.

Guys - Any response to my question?
Old 31st October 2009, 12:42   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Coming onto runin period question, i drove my first 1500 Kms on Highway and i was varying the RPM between 2000 to 3000 RPM and sometimes touched 4000RPM (trying to catch that IKON) is this a correct way to perform run in on my brand new car or did i successfully blown my engine? :(
I think you did well and NOT blown the engine Relax its perfectly fine.

Quote:
Any advice on this would be welcome.
Check with M&M directly, what are the options.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st October 2009 at 12:43.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:30   #314
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is break-in period for cars anymore. I got my ANHC, i asked Honda sales guy and customer care, both of them told there is no break-in period you can ride your car as you wish.

I have read the manual completely there is no mention of break-in period anywhere. Even my friend got swift VDI, he was also told there is no break-in period for cars.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:41   #315
BHPian

@shamanth, check the manual again. For my civic, the manual clearly mentions about 'running-in'. It clearly says to avoid sudden braking for the first 300km and rapid acceleration for the first 1000km. IIRC, its in 'Maintenance' section.

I believe, each car will have run-in period. Though the engines are pre-run, other components aren't. Overall, it needs a break-in period, followed by an early 1st service.

Also, don't trust anyone from sales/service/customer-care, go by the owner's manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks