Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 11:46   #316
J.Ravi

Even in case of my Fiat Linea, initial running-in distance has been specified anywhere in the owner's handbook. However, I myself fixed a target of 1000 km for initial running-in, up to which I am not crossing 2500 rpm and 80 kmph speed.

Old 18th November 2009, 12:16   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to err on the side of caution, it is NEVER a bad idea to take it easy on your engine for the first 2500 kms, irrespective of whether a run-in is mentioned or not.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:45   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
@shamanth, check the manual again. For my civic, the manual clearly mentions about 'running-in'. It clearly says to avoid sudden braking for the first 300km and rapid acceleration for the first 1000km. IIRC, its in 'Maintenance' section.

I believe, each car will have run-in period. Though the engines are pre-run, other components aren't. Overall, it needs a break-in period, followed by an early 1st service.

Also, don't trust anyone from sales/service/customer-care, go by the owner's manual.
@mkc , Thanks for the suggestion, Will check the manual again.

Don't you think if the running-in was important in cars would they not have pasted a sticker somewhere, just like in bikes? Especially when car companies giving warranty for 4 years and all ?
Old 18th November 2009, 13:12   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
My take, enjoy the car but ensure that it is driven gracefully (Gradual accelaration and decelaration, No riding the clutch, Brake soft and Pedal soft) for the first 1000 KMS and then once the car becomes your second skin....it really does nt matter.... YOU WOULD KNOW what needs to be done.
I too agree with the above lines.Would just add a RPM barrier like 5000 rpm.(i mean practice the above within the rpm of 5-6 K for the first 1K kms.)
Old 18th November 2009, 13:15   #320
Senior - BHPian

Ford cars, Running-in

The manual says that:

''Avoid driving too fast during the first 1,500 kms (1,000miles). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labour the engine.

New tyres need to be run-in for approximately 500 kms. During this time, you may experience different driving characteristics.

Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 150 kms in town and for the first 1500 kms on motorways''.
Old 1st December 2009, 01:11   #321
Senior - BHPian

I had thoroughly gone through the Manual of My diesel car as well as the petrol car.No where in the two manuals mentioned the maximum speed for the initial kms of the machine run.Of course the first 960 kms were told to be cautious.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:19   #322
Team-BHP Support

Isle of Man TT engineers recommend to use the engine right from its birth in the way you are supposed to operate her everyday and in their case they cane (yes its the word he used)the engine right from the word GO,
but as theMAG says running in won't harm,
second a good techie once told me to operate the engine in a wider rpm, like don't go into 3rd if speed drops below 35, keep her in 4th until she starts lugging, try to widen the rpm range in each gear(just where you make the max torque should be the limit) and opertae, don't exceed 90kmph in most cases...
Highway runs are fine with breaks
Old 21st January 2010, 15:22   #323
BHPian

Guys, am a first timer to an AT transmission.

Please let me know how to run-in an AT transmission. As of now, i am trying to maintain the 2500 rpm limit and not driving more than 60km speed. car has done about 120 km's now.

How do i do a sudden braking and how do i make the car stop. Atleast in manual, i can do a downshift. How to handle in AT?
Old 21st January 2010, 16:07   #324
Senior - BHPian

Is there any running-in needed for Vista Quadrajet ?I have 1000kms completed and just today morning gave for First Free service.Kept the Car Under 80kmph(and mostly around 60-70kmph) and No ,I never checked on the "change the speed as variable as possible" thing.I was more concentrating on driving on when the "Turbo" Kicks in(Read this way Engine Strain is lesser?)

Yes ,Owner's Manual for Vista does have a page asking for running-in the car for first 1500-1800kms.I Hope the few claims - Quadrajet Engines Comes from Factory with Running-in Over is true.

Concorde ,Kochi Sales Executives nor Service Advisor recommends Oil Change or a running-in either.

I just called Him(Service Advisor) to change the Oil&Filter and He is not at all Happy with My Choice of changing Oil and consistently discouraged Me with this choice.

He Argues that Only on 25000kms completion that filters(which?I have no Idea!)
are changed and Oil Changes strictly on 5000kms.

and claims changing Oil on 1000kms now may even affect "Warranty" WTH?

I need Urgent reply Whether it is Correct on My Part on Insisting Oil Change(Paid) on New Car on First Service?What is Warranty got to do when Concorde dealer service themselves are going to change Oil,Filter Etc ?Beats Me!

With My Apache RTR180 Bike ,I change Oil on 150kms on Odo as well as changed on 1300kms too.TVS Service was co operative with Me in that Case.

Last edited by deepclutch : 21st January 2010 at 16:12.
Old 21st January 2010, 16:17   #325
Senior - BHPian

@deepclutch - what your SA is saying is Bull S***. I am not sure what is the basis on which he is saying so. If there is any issue in him not getting convinced call up the tata regional service manager and get him to instruct the TASS about your request. I have Swift D with the same engine and I did change oil at 1000 kms.
Old 21st January 2010, 18:58   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post

He Argues that Only on 25000kms completion that filters(which?I have no Idea!)
are changed and Oil Changes strictly on 5000kms.

I need Urgent reply Whether it is Correct on My Part on Insisting Oil Change(Paid) on New Car on First Service?What is Warranty got to do when Concorde dealer service themselves are going to change Oil,Filter Etc ?Beats Me!

With My Apache RTR180 Bike ,I change Oil on 150kms on Odo as well as changed on 1300kms too.TVS Service was co operative with Me in that Case.
Your question contains the answer. When I wanted to change the oil at 2k kms, here too they said it was not necessary but were in fact happy to do it!
And as per my QJD manual, the oil change interval is 10,000kms or 12 months whichever is earlier. (Myself changing every 5K kms)

Meanwhile ensure that they do not overfill it.
Old 21st January 2010, 19:06   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Just to err on the side of caution, it is NEVER a bad idea to take it easy on your engine for the first 2500 kms, irrespective of whether a run-in is mentioned or not.
+1. I second that completely. It is always better to be safe initially than being sorry later. I am sure it is very much within one's capability to hold his adrenaline for the first few thousand kms.

Last edited by rr_zen : 21st January 2010 at 19:08.
Old 21st January 2010, 19:46   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
a good techie once told me to operate the engine in a wider rpm, like don't go into 3rd if speed drops below 35, keep her in 4th until she starts lugging,
The Scorpio manual says we shouldn't be doing this - especially during running in. It specifically says that we should change the gear before this happens. I'm not sure what is the optimum speeds/rpm to be maintained for each gear... anyone have an idea?
Old 21st January 2010, 22:01   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
The Scorpio manual says we shouldn't be doing this - especially during running in. It specifically says that we should change the gear before this happens. I'm not sure what is the optimum speeds/rpm to be maintained for each gear... anyone have an idea?
You are right. Lugging is bad for the engine, whether while running in or otherwise as well. Generally lugging happens below the 1500 rpm mark.
Optimum speeds/rpm to be maintained for each gear, i generally maintain between 1500 to 3000 rpm (whether Diesel or Petrol). Works pretty well for me.

No lugging, plus the engine sounds content & there is always enough power on tap. Good FE too

Last edited by Xehaust : 21st January 2010 at 22:03.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:13   #330
Senior - BHPian

The engine should definitely not be lugged, but revved freely through each gear, without over doing it. Accelerate freely through each gear before shifting up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks