Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:26   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Yes I meant idling the engine after turning the ignition on (before moving the vehicle) and before turning it off (after stopping the vehicle)
It is always better to allow petrol engines to idle for 30 seconds before switching off. And if we hear the fan running, we should wait till it stops before switching off.

I think yours is a diesel car equipped with a turbo, it should never be switched off immediately.

These are to be followed always, not just during running in.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd June 2010 at 17:28.
Old 3rd June 2010, 22:14   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
I have driven my Chevrolet Beat with utmost care for first 1500 km in which I never exceeded 2400 rpm. After 1500 km I have started taking the car upto 3000 rpm. Till to date it has covered 1783 km. Please suggest when should I go for first oil change.
congrats for the new car, let it have healthy beat all along its life.
Please let Indian currency stay in India, don’t allow it go to golf countries. Wait until 5 to 6 thousand km at least. you have long way to go.
Old 9th June 2010, 23:01   #363
BHPian

I remember getting my new Getz experience the whole rev range. I used to generally drive sedately with the occasional redlining. This I felt opened the engine up and became more free revving or ur engine will not get used to the higher revs. But I did rev it gradually towards the redline, no stomping the right foot or 0to60 runs during runin period!
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:08   #364

I have just purchased an i20 Crdi and this is my first Diesel car. I have gone through this entire thread now but still have these questions:

1. I have read that the Diesel engine in the running period needs to be revved less than about 2800 RPM and not driven half clutch. How do you prevent half-clutch driving in a city like Bangalore? Is there a better way of driving a Diesel vis-a-vis a Petrol so that one need not use the clutch as much? Unfortunately in my 100 km of driving so far I think I would have exceeded that on a few occasions - Must have gone to 3500 a couple of times at least. I hope that does not do lasting damage.

2. I have not had the opportunity to use it extensively this past week since I took delivery. Is keeping the car unused in my garage going to harm it or should I start it every day even if I do not drive it?

3. Lastly, I was reading about keeping the turbo Diesel car on idle for 30-60 seconds before moving and switching off the car. Is this an absolute must? Is this also a must if the engine is already hot - say I stopped for a 5 min break and then started again. Do I need to idle for 30-60 seconds even on a restart?

Any responses would be highly appreciated!

Mods - Not sure if the last question fits here or in another thread.

Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:45   #365
BHPian

We have recently bought an i10 AT. It has done about 600 kms but it is proving to be an impossible task to keep the rev counter between 2000-4000 rpm as suggested in the manual. The only way to do this is to drive like a manual with constant shifting between D-2-L & vice versa. is this the way to go till 1000 kms and then on to 2000 kms or should I just leave it to the ECU. On D mode the rpm is moving between 1500 - 2000, rarely does it touch 2500.
What do the Guru's advise? Any help is welcome.
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:49   #366
BHPian

Let me start with a disclaimer that I am not a guru, but will still attempt to answer the questions
I am taking an attempt at this, because these are exactly the same apprehensions I had when I switched from petrol to diesel.

Not sure about i20, but generally rpm range seems to be fine. Also, it is recommended not to drive at the same rpm range consistently for longer time as well during run in. As the gurus say in the beginning of the thread, donot baby the car. take it up to recommended rpm levels, but not abruptly. take it smooth in a linear curve, and donot keep at the same level.
Yes, it is not possible in bangalore to prevent half clutch, enjoy your drive in empty roads over the weekend.

Donot bother about not using the car for a while. Modern diesels donot have such issues. I atleast havent seen any problems with mine, even though I haven't left the car unstarted for long, because my usage has been high.

about idling, it is good to idle for a while before turning off. In city driving this may not be an issue, because while getting into your building or parking, you would anyway slow down to idle rpm ranges etc.
This is more important when driving on highways, normally when you want to stop for a break etc, it is important to idle for a longer time than 30 secs to prevent a situation called turbo caking.

What turbo caking means is, your turbo when activated(its at 2000 rpm for swift) some oil is flowing around it, and also hot. If turned off instantly, can cause temperature drop and can cause oil to form cake on turbo charger. To prevent it, idle a minute or more, before turning off, so that oil drips out, at idle rpm ranges, and then shut off the engine.
Gurus please correct any inconsistencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashpai View Post
I have just purchased an i20 Crdi and this is my first Diesel car. I have gone through this entire thread now but still have these questions:

1. I have read that the Diesel engine in the running period needs to be revved less than about 2800 RPM and not driven half clutch. How do you prevent half-clutch driving in a city like Bangalore? Is there a better way of driving a Diesel vis-a-vis a Petrol so that one need not use the clutch as much? Unfortunately in my 100 km of driving so far I think I would have exceeded that on a few occasions - Must have gone to 3500 a couple of times at least. I hope that does not do lasting damage.

2. I have not had the opportunity to use it extensively this past week since I took delivery. Is keeping the car unused in my garage going to harm it or should I start it every day even if I do not drive it?

3. Lastly, I was reading about keeping the turbo Diesel car on idle for 30-60 seconds before moving and switching off the car. Is this an absolute must? Is this also a must if the engine is already hot - say I stopped for a 5 min break and then started again. Do I need to idle for 30-60 seconds even on a restart?

Any responses would be highly appreciated!

Mods - Not sure if the last question fits here or in another thread.

Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:05   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is always better to allow petrol engines to idle for 30 seconds before switching off. And if we hear the fan running, we should wait till it stops before switching off.

I think yours is a diesel car equipped with a turbo, it should never be switched off immediately.

These are to be followed always, not just during running in.
Hi Gansan,

While driving in traffic, we stop at traffic signals and turn off the engine depending on the time for next green light. If I go by what you mention then shall I not switch off the engine before 30secs (petrol) or shall follow the practice of idling and then switch off. if not done what are effects of it?
Because one may encounter at least 10 such traffic signals in a daily route in cities which is a lot if it has adverse effect on engines.
Thanks in advance.
Old 6th July 2010, 23:30   #368
BHPian

I'm currently running in my Indigo CS TDi. Done about 900 km so far, most of it on highway. Highway runs are supposed to be bad for running in cars, so I'm making an effort to take it into the city whenever I can. Apprehension about scratching the new car, combined with my lack of experience with Turbodiesels means that city drives aren't very easy or frequent. Besides, the so-called highway has two lanes, which means that there are crawl sections as well.

I make it a point to wait 10 secs after the glow plug lamp has gone off to crank the engine, and idle it for 30 secs or longer before starting off. I try not to engage the Turbo too much until engine temp has risen a bit.

I find that I can get smoother shifts if I clutch and let the the engine rev lightly to just above Turbo range (2200 rpm) before rpm) downshifting. On upshifts too, it's smoother and judder-free if I let the engine rev on a tiny bit higher with clutch fully down, before shifting and declutching. I hope this isn't bad for the engine. Advice welcome.

I kept the engine under 2500rpm for the first 200km. I didn't exceed 3000 rpm until after 500 km, and even then, it was only shortly during shifts. I tried taking it to 3500 once, but it wasn't very willing, and I haven't tried it yet, Maybe after first service.

The first service is at 1000-1500km/1 month according to the coupon. Should I get the service done at 1000 itself or stretch it to 1500? I will be changing the oil and filter too.

Manufacturers no longer post warnings on dash about turbo spin down times or warming up. Does this mean that the 'light' turbos that are found on most diesel cars do not need that much care? I mean, the Bolero and Scorpio, both turbocharged vehicles, are equipped with a Start-Stop system. Wouldn't the constant start-stops really screw up the turbo in this case? In my car, I can hear the whine of the turbo spinning down if I turn off the car soon without idling. It lasts for about two-three seconds.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:52   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Hi Gansan,

While driving in traffic, we stop at traffic signals and turn off the engine depending on the time for next green light. If I go by what you mention then shall I not switch off the engine before 30secs (petrol) or shall follow the practice of idling and then switch off. if not done what are effects of it?
Because one may encounter at least 10 such traffic signals in a daily route in cities which is a lot if it has adverse effect on engines.
Thanks in advance.
I don't normally switch off the engine in traffic signals as the AC will be running, which holds good for almost the entire year in Chennai climate. If I am not using AC, I will listen for the fan before switching off.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:15   #370
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I'm currently running in my Indigo CS TDi. Done about 900 km so far, most of it on highway. Highway runs are supposed to be bad for running in cars, so I'm making an effort to take it into the city whenever I can.
Keep varying your speed on the highway runs.

Quote:
I make it a point to wait 10 secs after the glow plug lamp has gone off to crank the engine
Not required.

Quote:
and idle it for 30 secs or longer before starting off. I try not to engage the Turbo too much until engine temp has risen a bit.
Good practice, stick to it.

Quote:
I find that I can get smoother shifts if I clutch and let the the engine rev lightly to just above Turbo range (2200 rpm) before rpm) downshifting. On upshifts too, it's smoother and judder-free if I let the engine rev on a tiny bit higher with clutch fully down, before shifting and declutching. I hope this isn't bad for the engine. Advice welcome.
With turbo-charged engines, its more efficient to upshift *after* the turbo kicks in. 2,200 rpm, or in the whereabouts, is about right for an Indigo.

Quote:
The first service is at 1000-1500km/1 month according to the coupon. Should I get the service done at 1000 itself or stretch it to 1500? I will be changing the oil and filter too.
The earlier the better. Oil gets terribly contaminated (with metal shavings) over the first 1,000 kms.

Quote:
Manufacturers no longer post warnings on dash about turbo spin down times or warming up. Does this mean that the 'light' turbos that are found on most diesel cars do not need that much care?
I'd rather be safe than sorry, and prefer to follow the 60 second idle rule.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:44   #371

I have a query. Gurus please explain.

Is it okay to keep a newly purchased petrol car (wagon r to be precise) running only once in a week (or even once in 10 days)? Will it affect the vehicle run-in?

In such cases of keeping the vehicle not running for a week, do i need to disconnect the positive terminal of battery? In such case doing it frequently, will it affect it?

Sigamani
Old 26th August 2010, 10:26   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigamani View Post
I have a query. Gurus please explain.

Is it okay to keep a newly purchased petrol car (wagon r to be precise) running only once in a week (or even once in 10 days)? Will it affect the vehicle run-in?

In such cases of keeping the vehicle not running for a week, do i need to disconnect the positive terminal of battery? In such case doing it frequently, will it affect it?

Sigamani
Run the car regularly and complete the run-in before the first service. Afterwards it will be ok if the car runs at least once a week for a minimum of 50 KM.
Old 26th August 2010, 12:11   #373
BHPian

Hi mates,

Here are some questions which i am not able to answer.

For a petrol car.
Should the car idle for sometime after starting?
How long before i turn the A/c on?
Should the window be down for sometime as soon as i get inside the car ( Benzene?)
Should i leave the car on till the fan stops spinning, there are times when the fan
goes on for more than 2-3mins and loose my patients to sit inside the car.?
Why cant i fill fuel with the car running, A/C running?
What time in the day is best to fill fuel.? ( density of fuel )
Whats the ideal timing to fill fuel, waiting till it almost empties or regular top ups?
Role of fuel additives, really of any help?
What to do in bumper to bumper traffic. Any help switching of the engine?
Is there more expense of fuel every time you turn of and on, than keep it running?
Whats the best way to check your actual FE ( ideal driving condition ?)

Many more questions coming soon.
Old 26th August 2010, 12:31   #374
Senior - BHPian

Well - my thoughts are inline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Hi mates,

For a petrol car.

Not required unless in very cold weather

After starting, roll down your glasses, turn on the fan for 5 minutes. Then roll up the glasses and turn on AC.

Should the window be down for sometime as soon as i get inside the car ( Benzene?)

Preferably yes

Should i leave the car on till the fan stops spinning, there are times when the fan
goes on for more than 2-3mins and loose my patients to sit inside the car.?

Are you a very busy doctor?
I guess you meant 'patience' - I generally do not wait for the fan to stop.

Not advised due to inaccurate petrol bunk readings + flash fire chance.

Ideally at night or early morning (cooler times of the day)

Whats the ideal timing to fill fuel, waiting till it almost empties or regular top ups?

1/2 tank to 1/4 tank.

Never used them. May be helpful in high mileage cars.

Is there more expense of fuel every time you turn of and on, than keep it running?

turn off your engine if you assume your stop to be more than 30 seconds. Thats what I follow.

Autocut - to - autocut (appx same time of the day + same pump) or full tank to full tank.

Keep 'em coming!
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2010, 12:35   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Hi mates,

For a petrol car.

Yes. About one minute will be ideal.

I switch it on as soon as the temp gauge indicates normal operating temperature. This happens within ~ 1 KM.

Keep it down till you switch on the AC. Let the stale/hot air escape. I don't know about benzene though.

Should i leave the car on till the fan stops spinning, there are times when the fan goes on for more than 2-3mins and loose my patients to sit inside the car.?

I think it is a good idea and have always followed it. But I don't think it takes more than a minute or two at the most.

For the same reason you have to switch off your mobile - to avoid igniting petrol fumes, if any, in the re-fuelling area.

Normally before 8.00 AM. But difficult to follow if you fill only at the E mark. I top up my tank once a month on a Sunday morning, even if half a tank of fuel remains.

The time of re-fuel hardly matters on cool, overcast days though.

Ideally you should burn off as much of your fuel as possible before a re-fill.

Detergent type additives, not octane boosters, are useful. Just fill a premium type, but same octane, fuel. I fill Shell super unleaded. No need for separate additives.

Advisable to turn off for extended stops. Not practical if you are running the AC.

This is what I do. As soon as the car comes back from service, I will fill petrol to the brim, set trip meter to zero and go for a highway drive to Pondy/Vellore - a ~ 300 KM round trip. While returning will fuel again at the same pump, same nozzle up to the brim and check the FE. This will be the FE under ideal conditions. I will knock off 6 KMPL from this figure to arrive at my approx city FE. If I am satisfied, will forget about it till the next service becomes due!

Bring them on, we are here to answer all! And find my replies in bold.

Last edited by Gansan : 26th August 2010 at 12:45.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks