Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 12:54   #391
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
May be your Gypsy has a "King size" radiator!

Different manuals give different opinions. At the MASS I have seen the guys start the cars and almost immediately move off. So IMO idling for about a minute is advisable, but not mandatory, as a measure of abundant caution. Especially if the car is started after a gap of a few days.

Yes, nobody bothers. I guess the idea is we stick to taking care say 80% of the time during run-in period and it should be good enough.
Old 16th November 2010, 13:25   #392
BHPian

Can anyone tell me how to run in a new Honda City ( ANHC ) Automatic. The trouble is the rpm changes with speed. I have already touched 3000 rpm sometime while overtaking. If I kept at the recommended 2.5 K rpm i would have ended with a head on crash.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:27   #393
Team-BHP Support

Exceeding recommended rpm for short bursts does no harm.
That said, if your city redlines around 6000rpm, going upto 3000rpm during run in is fine.
Old 18th December 2010, 20:45   #394
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Hi,

Almost all cars of different manufacturer have at least 02 services within a year and invariably most user mentions about increase in smoothness of car after each service/oil change etc.

My query is -

Reading some posts my understanding is - that piston in the car engine has more friction when the engine is new and becomes smooth as the car cover more miles as the friction reduces and also there are so many other mechanical parts in a car which becomes smooth or easy to operate over a period of time.

Reducing friction in piston - does it also imply the metal parts that are mixed with the engine oil when flushed and replaced with new engine oil(oil change) makes the engine smoother?

What effect the engine oil replacement (oil change) have on cars?
Old 19th December 2010, 20:38   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
My query is -

What effect the engine oil replacement (oil change) have on cars?
Engine oil has multiple functions. Major ones are -
1. Lubricating the piston/cyclinder
2. Not letting the engine overheat
3. removing the unwanted materials (Carbon deposits, water ) out of cyclinder.

Oil change is required because oil degenerates when used for long and is ineffective for points 1&2 and also accumulates lot of muck (Point #3).
Old 30th December 2010, 19:28   #396
BHPian

I have a query specific to ANHC (M/T). If I go with the gear shift speeds suggested in the manual, that would mean shifting gears at 3K RPM, which is clearly not advisable during run in as mentioned by you folks. So currently I am doing gear shifts in the 2k-2.5K range. Do you think doing this might have some kind of an adverse impact in the long run? For ANHC, Is my understanding of the ideal gear shift speed/rpm correct?
Old 20th January 2011, 09:32   #397
BHPian

Keeping the car idle for a long period during run-in: Suggestions needed..!

Dear All,

I have bought a Grande Punto recently and have run only 1200 Km till date. Been following the Team BHP recommendations on the run-in.

Next month, I have to go on-site for a about 4 to 5 weeks. I am planning to leave the car in my native place with my parents. The car may not be used at all for the entire period.

As it is a new car, is it ok to leave the car idle for a month without using..? If not, Kindly suggest me what should be done so that no damage is sustained in anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th January 2011, 10:07   #398
Senior - BHPian

^^ It is OK. Have you completed the first service? If not, clock the required KMs (or as close to it as possible) and complete the service before you let the car sleep.
Old 20th January 2011, 19:14   #399
BHPian

The first Service is at 3000 km / 3 months.
I have clocked only 1200 KM till date. I have almost 1 month time before I go onsite. So, I will try to clock the remaining KM and get the car serviced and let it sleep.

But, I don't understand why / how this first service makes a difference. Can you kindly elaborate on this, am just curious..!
Old 20th January 2011, 20:00   #400
Senior - BHPian

^^When was the car purchased? If the three months are completed during your absence or if your onsite stay is extended, the car may miss it's all important first service, on which the warranty depends. Another reason is to complete the running in without any break in between.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:05   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, I don't understand why / how this first service makes a difference. Can you kindly elaborate on this, am just curious..!
I feel its more to do with the first oil change rather than service. Its better to get the oil changed after 1000kms - 3000kms.

For the first 1000- 2000 kms there will be very negligible wear from the various metal parts inside the engine. These wears may collect in the engine oil. Refreshing them will only help the engine.

Last edited by VW2010 : 2nd February 2011 at 12:07.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:46   #402
Team-BHP Support

I did not get oil changed at 1000kms.
My first oil change was voluntary at 7500kms because I had done quite a bit of mountain driving and desert offroading shortly after run in period.
At 7500kms, we inspected the magnetic drain nut, and it did not have any metal shavings stuck to it.
So as long as you are running in properly, you can stay with factory fitted engine oil till manufacturer recommended levels.
However, some car service books recommend changing oil at 1000kms. If thats the case do that.

Last but not the least, remember, the oil which comes from mfr in the car is 100% genuine new oil. What the service center fills in... well thats anybodies guess unless you are one of the majority who stand by the vehilcle when oil is being changed(I do that)
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:05   #403
BHPian

Hi
wel lthe oil change at the first 1000km is for the removal of any burrs from the wear of the new parts of the engine it is akin to a warm up before the long race

follow the manual of your mfr as that is the best way to keep your drive in best condition
rgds
DP
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:05   #404
BHPian

TBHP recommends not to use Synthetic oil during the run in period. However Vista/Manza QJD comes in filled with Synthetic oil and hence the first oil change is recommended at 20k. A few questions comes to mind and would like to hear the forum's thoughts/advise

a) Does it mean extended run in time?
b) Are there other method that will help aid a faster run in despite the synthetic?
c) Curious to know what oil does Swift/Dzire DDis use for the same engine? Is there a mandatory oil change at 1Km?
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:24   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
c) Curious to know what oil does Swift/Dzire DDis use for the same engine? Is there a mandatory oil change at 1Km?
Swift comes with a mineral oil, and there is a 1000 km oil change for the first service. Not sure, if this is changed in recent DDiS releases of Maruti.

But for your case, if the mfr doesnt specify, donot change, since changing to synthetic is expensive. What does the manual say about run-in for your car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks