Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2015, 07:41   #676
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hello Gurus,
A newbie question. We are first time car owners, so experience related to cars is almost ZERO.

We picked our Ford Classic 1.6 Titanium last week. She has covered approx. 200 kms. Every time brake is applied a bit hard(say, to bring the car to a stop), there is a sound coming. I hope this is nothing because the brakes haven't completed their run-in.

Anything to worry? Thanks in advance.
Either the brakes are yet to run-in or else they aren't clean.

But with just 200 kms on the odometer it is a bit too early to comment or even pin point anything.

Use the car for some more time and see if the sounds persist.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 08:04   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

But with just 200 kms on the odometer it is a bit too early to comment or even pin point anything.

Brakes shouldn't make noises whether run in or not. Brake noises rarely disappear by themselves. As long as the brake action is good and the car doesn't pull to one side its unlikely to be anything serious, but the brakes should be checked and don't believe it will go away or needs running in and it will disappear by itself. Most likely there is some dust, a stuck pebble, or the pads weren't mounted incorrectly not using or applying the correct amount of anti squeal paste.
Good luck, enjoy your new car!
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 13:51   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
I too picked up my Classic last Sep 14. Welcome to the club!
What sort of noise are you hearing? Is it a rubbing noise or a thud?
It is a thud sound.

Great to find another 1.6 owner. Let's meet up during the next Kolkata meet with our machines. Will ping you my phone no., we can discuss.

Quote:

Sure. I hope this will disappear with time. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Brakes shouldn't make noises whether run in or not. Brake noises rarely disappear by themselves. As long as the brake action is good and the car doesn't pull to one side its unlikely to be anything serious, but the brakes should be checked and don't believe it will go away or needs running in and it will disappear by itself. Most likely there is some dust, a stuck pebble, or the pads weren't mounted incorrectly not using or applying the correct amount of anti squeal paste.
Good luck, enjoy your new car!
Jeroen
It isn't really that much. Just a 'thud' sound is heard. Brakes are working perfectly fine. No pulling to one side. Also, while going through the manual, I found out last night that some sound is perfectly normal while brakes are working.

Thanks a ton!

Cheers,
petrolhead_neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 13th May 2015 at 13:52.
Old 13th May 2015, 16:48   #679
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
It isn't really that much. Just a 'thud' sound is heard. Brakes are working perfectly fine. No pulling to one side. Also, while going through the manual, I found out last night that some sound is perfectly normal while brakes are working.
Then it's ok. Not to worry.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th May 2015 at 11:28. Reason: Trimming quoted text
techiecal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 08:05   #680
BHPian

I find that after an hour's drive on a hot day in my new Ford Classic 1.6 the Ford Secret Menu shows a temp of 102C while the dash temp guage remains constantly at normal (hovering just below the 90C mark). Can any new Classic 1.6 owner verify this?
Old 25th May 2015, 11:47   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all.

Drive the car in a sedate manner varying speed regularly. You can occasionally touch 100 kph too but remember do NOT maintain constant RPM/speed.

Is the first service at 1000 kms?

Last but not the least go through your cars owners manual for further details and information on how to run - in.

Congratulations BTW. Have a great ownership.
Thanks Anurag and Jeroen.

The car (Punto Evo 1.3 MJD Active) was delivered yesterday.
Drove about 50 kms in Delhi yesterday before driving it all the way to Jaipur today in the morning.

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

I kept the speed <95 kmph and rpm<2500 through out.
Tried varying speed on highway but I did not do so good on this front. When on an open highway in early morning, I realized max I could do was to vary speed occasionally bring it down from 90 to 70.
Thanks to construction zones, erratic road users, tolls etc. They helped me a lot in having variable speed.
Old 1st July 2015, 14:05   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

So running in does very little if anything for your car and or engine. Taking good care of you car, engine and other components do. Although to your original thought a lot of the good caretaking will be the difference in reaching 250.000 km instead of 200.000 kilomters without major problems.
This is the thing that summarizes almost everything. Nothing against the other people in the forum, but I have done nothing, except take good care of my car and trusting the service advisor(I was fortunate to get one back in 2009 and he still takes care of all my Hyundais till now)

Yes, the beliefs for taking too much care in the running in periods have been there since long, but one cannot say a person who is not swearing by the running in period doesnot knows how to take care of the car. I have not and I have just sold my old i20 to one of my relatives in an absolute impeccable condition. and how? I just sticked to following few things:

1. Always change with synthetic oil
2. Drive the car as you want her to be but hear her for her problems regularly. Yes, they literally speak , and make sure the problem goes away, through any means applicable
3. Love her not just internally but also externally, make her look stunningly gorgeous as you have brought her out of the showroom. I always feel they have a soul

Just my 2 cents !

-Gagan
dhall_gagan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 16:28   #683
BHPian

How does one run-in an automatic car? Since controlling the RPMs becomes very difficult in a Ford Ecosport DCT for example, does one just use the Sports mode and the triptronic during the run in or is there another proper way of running in an automatic which exists.

I wasn't able to find an answer on other TBhp threads and hence this question here.
Old 28th September 2015, 17:23   #684
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
How does one run-in an automatic car? Since controlling the RPMs becomes very difficult in a Ford Ecosport DCT for example, does one just use the Sports mode and the triptronic during the run in or is there another proper way of running in an automatic which exists.
Same as stick shift, start ups allow to warm for 10-15 sec's and drive with gentle inputs of brakes and accelerator (instead of stomping). That will automatically keep the revs under control, while giving needed work out for parts to work out.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 17:45   #685
BHPian

Guys, I am confused.
I'll be getting Ciaz ZDI on first or second navratra - 13th or 14th. Have to head out on highway for an approx 800 kms trip by 18th - any special precautions to take, except not taking the RPM over 2000 ?
Read somewhere that RPM should not stay constant - confused on this, though I can modify the speed between 60 to 80,but apart from this how much variation in speed is required ?
Old 28th September 2015, 17:52   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, I am confused.
I'll be getting Ciaz ZDI on first or second navratra - 13th or 14th. Have to head out on highway for an approx 800 kms trip by 18th - any special precautions to take, except not taking the RPM over 2000 ?
Read somewhere that RPM should not stay constant - confused on this, though I can modify the speed between 60 to 80,but apart from this how much variation in speed is required ?
Yes, the manufacturers do recommend operating the engine over a varied RPM range during the running in period so as to mock the actual conditions that the car would actually undergo during its life. The parts bed in better that way for all conditions. Prolonged highway run may not be the best way to break in a new engine - this is my opinion. A lot of people on the forum may have different views and they might had even practiced that on their own vehicle, i.e.. breaking in their vehicles on the highway entirely. But then a lot of people do not believe in break in altogether. I opt for the old school thought and what the manual says as the manufacturer knows the best.

Regards,
Saket
Old 28th September 2015, 17:58   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes, the manufacturers do recommend operating the engine over a varied RPM range during the running in period so as to mock the actual conditions that the car would actually undergo during its life. The parts bed in better that way for all conditions. Prolonged highway run may not be the best way to break in a new engine - this is my opinion. A lot of people on the forum may have different views and they might had even practiced that on their own vehicle, i.e.. breaking in their vehicles on the highway entirely. But then a lot of people do not believe in break in altogether. I opt for the old school thought and what the manual says as the manufacturer knows the best.

Regards,
Saket
If varying the speed/RPM is all that is needed, I'll hit the road by 8AM instead of normal 4AM early morning dash to get out of Delhi ... by 8AM, we would have plenty of stupid people brushing past my new car

But what about in open stretch of road ? Will modifying speed between 50 to 80 every few kms suffice ?

Frankly, I am in a soup - can't miss the trip, and on the other hand cant miss taking delivery, because by the time I'll be back, Navratra's would have finished.
Old 28th September 2015, 18:37   #688
BHPian

Found the following under Maruti Ciaz Owners Manual -

The future performance and reliability of the engine depends on the care
and restraint exercised during its early life. It is especially important to
observe the following precautions during the initial 960 km (600 miles)
of vehicle operation.
• After starting, do not race the engine. Warm it up gradually.
• Avoid prolonged vehicle operation at a constant speed. Moving parts will break in better if you vary your speed.
• Start off from a stop slowly. Avoid full throttle starts.
• Avoid hard braking, especially during the first 320 km (200 miles) of
driving.
• Do not drive slowly with the transaxle in a high gear.
• Drive the vehicle at moderate engine speeds.
• Do not tow a trailer during the first 960 km (600 miles) of vehicle operation.
Old 8th October 2015, 11:53   #689
BHPian

Just had the 1st free service for my new Hyundai Verna 4S Fluidic.

Had followed tsk1979's instructions on the " Run In " of the car in the initial period to the hilt.
From owning my previous car , a Tata Manza, i'd cultivated a habit of warming the engine ( idling) for a good minute, am continuing the same for the Verna. The limit of 2500 rpm for the first 1000 kms came to good use to me as far as the FE goes & returned an average of 10.5/11/12'sh given the condition of the traffic.
Occasionally the devil appeared & the rpm exceeded >2500 but only till then & the mental restrain took over.

After running 1100 kms, ( 90 was the odo when i took the delivery of the car, it did the duty of the showroom display till then) i took it for the free service yesterday at "Sai Auto Hyundai", Borivli. I was explained to an impressive 48 point check that Hyundai undertakes for their vehicles. I did not go in for complete details as first, i was late due to traffic & then in a mad hurry to get back. May be i should have been more inquisitive, Will do that the next time. Wanted to change the engine oil completely as per tsk1979's suggestions however the service adviser told me that at the factory, before filling the oil, the engine is flushed thoroughly for any micro metal parts to remain in the engine hence there was no need for an oil change. I agreed. May be the new set of cars/manufacturers have awakened to this particular issue. Good for the consumers.

I had checked in at around 1.15/1.25, got my car back at 3.30. On my request, the adviser, "Eitesh " had jumped the Queue & had taken my car ahead of others. Only the "jet wash couldn't be done as the jet had malfunctioned but he has made a remark on the service sheet & asked me to drop in later any time i wish for the jet wash.

Now again, can't wait to get the rpm needle cross 3000 but slowly, i am getting addicted to the 2500 cap & the resultant encouraging FE, a new thing for me.

Thanks tsk1979 from the bottom of my heart for the valuable insight for an ignorant soul like me.

There again, if you happen to see a "passion red Verna" zigzagging by, on the Eastern Express Highway, just ignore it, it will slow down eventually.
Old 10th November 2015, 21:04   #690
Senior - BHPian

After going through all these posts, I've got a question-
What will happen if we maintain a constant speed/RPM for a long time in a new engine? Suppose if the manufacturer says that you should not push the engine over a certain RPM, what will happen if we maintain 'that' RPM for a long time?(say 3k RPM for a diesel engine)
Is there any cause to worry or should we just ignore the 'running in' process due to lack of verified facts and figures?
IMO the only good thing you can gain as far as 'running in' is concerned is that you gain higher fuel economy due to the fact that the ECU has learned your 'conservative driving style'
Or is there more to it?
Regards
Turbohead

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks