Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/67729-article-how-run-your-new-car-49.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3994654)
No it won't. But there will some resistance from the SA I guess.

Can you pls share MASS bill showing the price...that will be hard for them to deny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaneja (Post 3994665)

Can you pls share MASS bill showing the price...that will be hard for them to deny.

I don't have the bills with me. They are submitted in my company post the service.

Popping-In the discussion above:
>Synthetic Engine Oil should not be used for first 10k KM's as it will increase the engine running-In time for your car.
>Start using synthetic engine oil from the point you feel an increase in ease of revving and increase in mileage.
> For my Swift Petrol I made the change at 10k KM.
> Considering you are not going to use your car for more than 1-1.2 lakh km, the only advantage of synthetic would be, the last 2k KM of 10k Service interval. A car on synthetic engine oil will normally still feel like a "just serviced" car.
> Car's run on synthetic engine oil always feel more revv-happy.

On a side note, I can't use synthetic engine oil on my Ecosport as according to Harpreet Ford - Delhi, This will void the warranty. Is it possible for a manufacturer to not recommend synthetic Oil ?

A silly question... Can the aircon be used all the time in a new car during run-in period? Does it have any impact at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB311 (Post 3994732)
On a side note, I can't use synthetic engine oil on my Ecosport as according to Harpreet Ford - Delhi, This will void the warranty. Is it possible for a manufacturer to not recommend synthetic Oil ?

Brother, its not the manufacturer who is denying, but rather the dealer IMO. Please raise a ticket/email with Ford to know the actual response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn (Post 4004768)
A silly question... Can the aircon be used all the time in a new car during run-in period? Does it have any impact at all?

Yes of course you can use it - dont sweat it out clap:

Ahhh..finally found engine Run-In thread. So, by gods grace, I will be taking delivery of Innova Crysta ZX MT on Friday. After going through the posts, this is what I have concluded.

1. Never rip on the cold starts, let the engine idle for 5-10 minutes at the start of each day.
2. Do not keep your RPM constant, new engine is supposed to experience complete range it has to go through its life period
3. For first 10k KM, do not use synthetic oil as it has know to slow down the Run-In Process due to its lubrication properties.
4. Mineral Oil till 10K KM.
5. First service at 1K KM.
6. You can use climate control during Run-In period.
7. Keep Revs under 2200rpm for first 1K KM and then 2500 to 2800 rpm till 1.5K KM and so on.

Now the questions that's been bugging me.

7. It has been advised to avoid bumper to bumper traffic but what if one lives in infamous traffic cities of India (Delhi-NCR)?
8. For engine in its Run-In period how much time should be ‘On’ at a stretch or it doesn’t matter?
9. It is also advised that long highway trips should be avoided. How much KM one should travel before putting the car to rest?
10. We intend to go on a weekend getaway on some hilly location, is it safe/okay to travel to a hilly location for a car in its Run-In period?
11. When is one supposed to change other fluids (Like Coolant, Purolator, etc) in the car?

Please pardon me for naive questions, if any. Thanks much!

drive_angry

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive_angry (Post 4018181)
Ahhh..finally found engine Run-In thread. So, by gods grace, I will be taking delivery of Innova Crysta ZX MT on Friday. After going through the posts, this is what I have concluded.

1. Never rip on the cold starts, let the engine idle for 5-10 minutes at the start of each day.

Enjoy the new car, but never let a cold engine idle. Start and move away being cautiously with the throttle.

Most importantly, read the owners manual and always follow that, regardless on what you find on the internet.
Above all, enjoy your new car!

Jeroen

Quote:

7. It has been advised to avoid bumper to bumper traffic but what if one lives in infamous traffic cities of India (Delhi-NCR)?
8. For engine in its Run-In period how much time should be ‘On’ at a stretch or it doesn’t matter?
9. It is also advised that long highway trips should be avoided. How much KM one should travel before putting the car to rest?
10. We intend to go on a weekend getaway on some hilly location, is it safe/okay to travel to a hilly location for a car in its Run-In period?
11. When is one supposed to change other fluids (Like Coolant, Purolator, etc) in the car?

drive_angry

7. Traffic ! Can't do anything about it. Although I did changed my office timings for early morning - early afternoon cycle.
8. Don't think it matters. Took the car for highway run 3 days after delivery. Was ON and running at a stretch for an hour on average.
9. On average, took a break after every 120/150kms stretch.
10. My first trip after 3 days of delivery was to Shimla/Narkanda.
11. Though not present in service manual, got engine oil changed on first servicing(1K kms). Going by the book, no fluid change till 10K kms(depends on vehicle manufacturer )

Quote:

I will be taking delivery of Innova Crysta ZX MT on Friday.
Prepare to be envied all alongclap:

1. Never rip on the cold starts, let the engine idle for 5-10 minutes at the start of each day. No. Never. 2-3mins is good enough for oil to circulate inside. Longer idling in your garage exposes you to harmful emissions too.
2. Do not keep your RPM constant, new engine is supposed to experience complete range it has to go through its life period. Yes. But it happens automatically anyways.
3,4,5 and 6 as per owner's manual.

7. It has been advised to avoid bumper to bumper traffic but what if one lives in infamous traffic cities of India (Delhi-NCR)?:)
8. For engine in its Run-In period how much time should be ‘On’ at a stretch or it doesn’t matter? It doesn't matter. Just ensure to vary the RPMs.
9. It is also advised that long highway trips should be avoided. How much KM one should travel before putting the car to rest? It is a myth. You can go on a highway and complete the first service the next day. Just ensure oil levels, coolant and other fluids are filled and delivered by the dealer. PDI?
10. We intend to go on a weekend getaway on some hilly location, is it safe/okay to travel to a hilly location for a car in its Run-In period? Great idea. Your family will enjoy. Maybe you can avoid using A/C while driving uphill.
11. When is one supposed to change other fluids (Like Coolant, Purolator, etc) in the car? Refer owner's manual

drive_angry

Just ensure to not drive angrylol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaneja (Post 4018230)
7. Traffic ! Can't do anything about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 4018198)
Above all, enjoy your new car! Jeroen

Thanks Ptaneja & Jeroen for you inputs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn (Post 4018390)
Just ensure to not drive angry

lol: Haha, I would not do that Sir.

Slightly :OT, Currently Crysta is selling like hotcakes at the dealership and not many vehicles are there in stockyard, my question is if i find some problem/issues during the PDI, can I still reject and ask for the new vehicle? My dealer is saying first you have to sign the documents then only you can do PDI but i don't a point after that, what do I do?

thanks again for your inputs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB311 (Post 3994732)
Popping-In the discussion above:
>Synthetic Engine Oil should not be used for first 10k KM's as it will increase the engine running-In time for your car.
>Start using synthetic engine oil from the point you feel an increase in ease of revving and increase in mileage.
> For my Swift Petrol I made the change at 10k KM.
> Considering you are not going to use your car for more than 1-1.2 lakh km, the only advantage of synthetic would be, the last 2k KM of 10k Service interval. A car on synthetic engine oil will normally still feel like a "just serviced" car.
> Car's run on synthetic engine oil always feel more revv-happy.

I don’t understand how using synthetic engine oil would increase running in of an engine.

Using mineral oil for first 5,000/10,000 kms is old wives tale & was may be true 20 years ago not any more. Tribology has moved on a lot in last 20 years & you can use synthetics from get go without any problem what so ever.

Going by above logic engines in cars from OEMs such as Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, JLR & other luxury brands would never be broken in properly as their engines (all their models) come factory filled with full synthetics.
Our here every car from all the OEMs (yes even the big 3 Americans) comes factory filled with either a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil. GM does this officially by calling it DEXOS (their in-house spec). Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai & all the other mainstream OEMs use low viscosity oils such as 0W/5W-20/30. Fact of the matter is such low viscosity oils cannot be manufactured without using some percentage of synthetics in it.

I have a little bit of knowledge in this field having worked for over 22 years with oil majors in the field of lubricants & having dealt with OEMs such as Ferrari, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Chrysler, GM & Suzuki (till 2012 when they folded their North American operations).

If you’re still uncomfortable using full synthetics from the get go, run your engine till about 1,000 kms, dump the oil & switch to full synthetics.

The only car that cannot use a synthetic is Mazda RX-7 with a rotary engine.

As for the befits of synthetics there are many.

Synthetics flow better as compared to mineral oils. 95% of engine damage occurs at start up. As synthetics flow much faster they are able to reach the innards of engine much quicker thereby providing protection to the valve train & other componentry immediately.

When your car is going up that hill in 40C & your air-conditioning is on, your mineral oil is practically cooking in the engine resulting in oxidation, it being subjected to intense elevated temperatures. Synthetics are much more shear stable, have a much better low & high temperature properties & would keep your engine healthy far longer.

Let me put this into perspective. If you drive 20,000 kms a year & your car averages 15 KMPL, you will be spending approx. Rs 95,000 on gasoline. If you change your oil twice in a year based on average oil change interval of 10,000 kms you would likely spend Rs 5,000 (maybe) more for a synthetic oil change in that year.

I think it a damn good deal if it ensures your engine longevity & prevents other secondary problems.

Quote:

2. Do not keep your RPM constant, new engine is supposed to experience complete range it has to go through its life period
3. For first 10k KM, do not use synthetic oil as it has know to slow down the Run-In Process due to its lubrication properties.
4. Mineral Oil till 10K KM.
5. First service at 1K KM.
6. You can use climate control during Run-In period.
7. Keep Revs under 2200rpm for first 1K KM and then 2500 to 2800 rpm till 1.5K KM and so on.

drive_angry

Okay I have taken care of use of synthetics during running in so let’s get it out of the way.

Now coming to idling; you cannot do a greater disservice to your car if you’re idling for anything more than 10 to 15 seconds.

Warming up your car before driving is an old practice from a time when carbureted engines dominated the roads. Carburetors mix gasoline and air to make vaporized fuel to run an engine, but they don't have sensors that tweak the amount of gasoline when the engine is cold. As a result, you have to let older cars warm up before driving or they will stall out.

So unless you’re driving a car with carburetted engine, do not idle you engine at start up, the engine does not need it.

Modern MPFI engines detect if the engine is cold & will run a rich mixture at start up. If you drive away with 5 to 10 seconds after cranking your engine, the engine will reach its optimum operating temperature much faster.

If on the other hand you continue to idle, the rpm will be low so the amount of oil that is reaching rings on the piston will be less, second major problem is gasoline that is being dumped into the cylinder. Ideally at the operating temperature this gasoline is vaporised by the injectors however in a cold engine some portion of the gasoline remains liquid. Now gasoline is a great solvent & it will wash off the lubricant from the cylinder walls & reduce life of your cylinder liners & piston rings. It will also reduce your fuel economy drastically as ECU will run a rich mixture during idling.

Now comes the question whether you should drive on highway/ drive to hill station/use air conditioning so on & so forth.

Please note that the idea is to vary the load/speed of the engine during the running in period. Basically what this means is don’t drive at a constant speed during running in, that’s all. The owner’s manual will have detailed instruction as to how fast in respective gears (in case it’s a manual transmission) can you go during the running in. Please follow that. I don’t see why you cannot drive to a hill station when the engine is being run in. And yes you can use air conditioning continuously during this period.

You’re in India; how long do you think you will be able to go at a constant speed whether on highway much less on city streets:). Relax!

As for changing the fluids such as engine/ transmission/coolants etc., please follow the instructions given in your owners’ manual. It is your bible please read it.

My two cents..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikram Arya (Post 4018602)
Using mineral oil for first 5,000/10,000 kms is old wives tale & was may be true 20 years ago not any more. Tribology has moved on a lot in last 20 years & you can use synthetics from get go without any problem what so ever.

That kind of refutes the concept of using mineral oil after the initial 1000kms. I was planning to change the oil in my Eon 1.0L this weekend with mineral oil, but I am not sure anymore now.
I checked the manual and there is no mention of change of oil after 1000kms also. During the 1st free service, I was told that only oil topup will be done along with few regular checks.

My car has done just around 1400 kms. It was bought on 15th June.
I have taken care to not to push it too hard from the beginning, but since it doesn't have a meter to check engine rotation, so I am not sure if I have pushed it too much at times. However, I am a pretty laid back driver and rarely exceed 40kmph on the roads.
My driving style is as follows:
0 - 15kmph : 1st gear
15 - 25kmph : 2nd gear
25 - 40kmph : 3rd gear
40 - 60kmph : 4th gear
Beyond 60kmph : 5th gear

The problem is the car is giving extremely low mileage in the city - 10kmpl. However, when I am taking it out on highways, it is giving a mileage of about 19.5kmpl. I am confused by this huge difference and need your opinions on this. Does this point to any kind of defect? I had taken the car to Hyundai Showroom (Bangalore - Bannerghatta Rd) and was told that this being a new car, the mileage will be low in the beginning. I am not totally convinced though. They also checked for error codes from the car electronics and there were none.

Any comment on this will be much appreciated.

Hello there,

So, i would be taking the delivery of my Renault duster 85ps this friday in Vishakhapatnam.
I am planning to take it to bangalore in the next 3 days which is about 1000kms.
(planning to do it in 2 days to reduce any strain on engine)

Now, dont ask me why i did not buy in bangalore itself. I am moving out of bangalore in 30 days. So, would be driving to hyderabad in January.

I know long highway drives is a huge controversial topic but then again, i dont really have an option here as even if I leave my car at home, dad doesnt like to drive and i certainly dont want a driver to drive a new car.

About a couple of years back, i runned in a new car from vizag to hyderabad as well with about 500km on the odo. It turned out pretty good with a smooth engine and good mileage.

All i can do in those 2 days is about 200 to 300kms before going on the trip. I will make sure the service guys do a thorough check up before i leave. Anything else i need to take care of ?

(First 1000kms , i always try to follow a progressive approach in increasing speeds from 70 through 100)

Hi All! I have my 1st service for my Alto K10 VXI AMT in a week. Should i change the engine oil and oil filter? As per the owners manual, it says Engine oil will be replaced during 3rd service which is 10,000kms or 12 months whichever is earlier. Is it mandatory to change the oil & oil filter?

Ok so I have heard this a lot from different kind of drivers. I am aware about the Run-In period and how you should drive your car during its run in mode.

More information on Run-In Mode here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-run-your-new-car

Now what most people say is that if we don't redline your cars engine occasionally (or at least drive it fast), your engine will start setting at that very nature. And what that means is that your car won't be able to drive fast when you will want it to because of the nature of the engine. Is that is something true or just a myth?