Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 18:58   #811
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
With the new BS6 Diesel engines with DEF system (in my case its the 2.2l mHawk Diesel of the New Thar), what shall be the running in process?
As per the manual, it says drive smoothly upto 1000 kms.
I have driven it mostly at 2000-2200 rpms, not exceeding 80 kmph. Also drove at varying speeds of 60,70 and 80 kmph.

Now my concern is the DPF+SCR system along with the running in process.

What would be the best procedure to follow?
In the same boat with our Thar. Not doing anything special apart from not gunning it or off-roading within the 1st 1000 kms. Will also get the oil changed at 1000km (I don't think it is part of the 1000km inspection). Early morning smooth Delhi roads and evening traffic is taking care of the running in process. The manual only says to drive it smoothly. Just do that and you should be fine
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 21:40   #812
BHPian

Hey guys wondering if I should change the engine oil of Innova Crysta after the initial run-in period of 1000 kms. The service is due at 1000 kms or a month whichever comes first and the local dealer said they only do a checkup at 1000 kms and nothing else. Should I change the oil and/or oil filter?
Old 24th April 2022, 22:23   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Hey guys wondering if I should change the engine oil of Innova Crysta after the initial run-in period of 1000 kms. The service is due at 1000 kms or a month whichever comes first and the local dealer said they only do a checkup at 1000 kms and nothing else. Should I change the oil and/or oil filter?
Please read your innova's user manual and unless and until mentioned that a oil change is required at 1000 km, there is really no need to do so. Stick to the service manual regarding normal maintainence. Also stick to the grade of oil mentioned and unit of oil, don't put over or under.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 22:45   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Please read your innova's user manual and unless and until mentioned that a oil change is required at 1000 km, there is really no need to do so. Stick to the service manual regarding normal maintainence. Also stick to the grade of oil mentioned and unit of oil, don't put over or under.
I read the manual before getting the vehicle 🙂 and followed the run-in as specified, even though Toyota's manual doesnt specifically metion under what RPM the car should be run in under. My car was under 2000 rpm most if not all the time for the first 1000 kms. Manual doesnt mention changing oil at 1000 kms, but wondering if the new engine is already factory run-in.
Old 24th April 2022, 23:10   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Manual doesnt mention changing oil at 1000 kms, but wondering if the new engine is already factory run-in.
Just go by the service schedule in the manual & you will be ok. 👍
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 11:11   #816
BHPian

Any suggestions for turbo petrols? What should be the limits during initial days?
Say 1.5L VW group TSI/TSFIs?

And given the Active cylinder deactivation technology which shuts the 2 cylinder when cruising, will that affect the rpm limit during initial days?
Old 25th April 2022, 23:38   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya1 View Post
Any suggestions for turbo petrols? What should be the limits during initial days? Say 1.5L VW group TSI/TSFIs?
If the user manual suggests any running-in period limits, follow them. After all manufacturers know their product best.

That said, I doubt most modern cars really require any running-in (guess many user-manuals today don't have this section at all). IIRC our 1985 M800 had a section on this, while I doubt my 2005 Baleno had it - will check.

But again, being a new car, most of us would anyway be ultra-careful during the initial few weeks, which itself would serve as a running-in. Eg, though I had been driving for 20years when I bought the Baleno, I was shit-scared during the initial weeks, always worried some biker or cabbie or bus would swipe it.

PS : There would be specific instructions in the user-manual for keeping turbochargers safe from damage due to mishandling. Do look out for those & follow them - they typically are for life, not just initial 1000kms.
Old 26th April 2022, 12:18   #818
BHPian

Thank you for your quick reply!

Sure I will keep that in mind. Given I bought from a Polish showroom, everything is in the local language, need a better translator than google so as not to mis-understand anything
Old 26th April 2022, 15:47   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That said, I doubt most modern cars really require any running-in (guess many user-manuals today don't have this section at all). IIRC our 1985 M800 had a section on this, while I doubt my 2005 Baleno had it - will check.
So what my 2005 Baleno's running-in section says is basically commonsensical stuff that most folks anyway follow while driving - avoid lugging, don't redline, vary your speeds (normal in city driving), do not race engine while starting (with MPFIs, we anyway gave up the old habit of starting the car with A-pedal pressed), driving within 100kmph (the max speed limit in most roads) etc.
Name:  Runningin_Baleno1_6.JPG
Views: 1280
Size:  65.1 KB

My 2014 Honda CBR250R's running-in section is even more simple - avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration for first 500kms.
Name:  Runningin_CBR250R.jpg
Views: 1318
Size:  51.7 KB

So the basic idea seems to be drive normally during the initial 500-1000kms.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 07:07   #820

Hi guys,

Just bought a Skoda Kushaq 1.5 DSG. The dealership guys have told that the 1st service is only after a year or 15k kms. They said we do not have to change the oil at 1k or 2k kms. This is different from the usual. Needed some insights and light on this from the members here.

Do I wait until 1 year/15k kms or go ahead and change the oil at 1k kms ?
Old 12th October 2022, 11:26   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamG View Post
Hi guys,

Just bought a Skoda Kushaq 1.5 DSG. The dealership guys have told that the 1st service is only after a year or 15k kms. They said we do not have to change the oil at 1k or 2k kms. This is different from the usual. Needed some insights and light on this from the members here.

Do I wait until 1 year/15k kms or go ahead and change the oil at 1k kms ?
Go with the official recommendations, not those of the Internet. It won’t hurt of course, but other than out of pocket of some money, there will be no effect.

I can’t even remember my last new car that needed a first early oil change. Must have been decades ago. When in doubt always consult your owners manual.

Modern engines with modern oils can not be compared with older engines and oils. World of different.

Enjoy your Skoda, nice car!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 23:04   #822
BHPian

Hi guys,
I purchased I20 diesel last week. I went through manual regarding break in rules. The manual doesn't state any speed limit and mentions basic things like not hard raise and sudden brakes etc. There is only specific mention where it says "maintain engine speed between rpm 2000-4000. So here lies my confusion, when am driving in 6th gear I have to go 100+ to touch 2000 rpm. I am a person who follows the manual but just not sure if I am interpreting it correctly.
Is it ok to go beyond 100 to keep engine in mentioned rpm range or is that rpm range supposed to be achieved in lower gears. I assuming the speed here doesn't matter as only rpm range is mentioned. Pardon my silly question as this is my first vehicle so being extra careful
Old 28th October 2022, 08:02   #823

Hello Guys!
I have recently bought a 5th Gen Honda City (Manual), driven around 400km in 15 days. Now I'm planning to take my car to a hill station which covers around 600 km for a round trip.
Talking about running-in, Is it ok to take new cars before first service to such hilly regions where the engine will be forced to work a lot ?

First service is 1k km or 1 month.

What's your suggestion guys?
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:58   #824

One of my friend accidentally touched 100kmph in his brand new Creta Petrol (previous vehicle was an Alto....got excited by the power&#128517. The vehicle had only run 70km. Would this have drastic consequences?
Old 10th January 2023, 00:44   #825
BHPian

I completed a 1300 Km round trip on my New Petrol WRV. Didn't have a choice to delay the long drive. Car was 1 week old & Had accumulated 70km on the Odo with city driving when I started the week-long trip.

Honda User Manual doesn't say much about running in.
Checked with the service advisor and he told me I can safely go up to 80kmph without any worry.

Here is my run-in story

Stage1 -It was a 400km drive from Bangalore with mostly highway and open and good village roads until destination.Started with full tank of Shell petrol assuming it benefits the new engine to break-in smoothly.
I upshifted very gradually and maintained the speed b/w 60-80kmph after reaching the highway. Tried my level best to keep the color indicator ring on the console green in all gears and the tacho needle within 2500 rpm . It was around 2000 rpm in 5th.
I did touch 100 once or twice unknowingly for few seconds while lazily cruising on highway.

I did take the foot off A pedal for a minute or so at frequent intervals while cruising. Other than that I couldn't do too much variation of speed as I had to reach my destination with family including parents and a pet Cat on board. Took around 9 hours totally with 4 breaks including lunch.

Stage2 - i did around 500km locally in the next 6 days including one trip of approximately 30km down to sea coast+ 30km back up on ghat road with moderate slope.naturally there was some good low speed variation for the engine here when climbing back at around 30-40 kmph max speed. I kept the speedo console indicator green at all time and gears even on ghat and speed within 70-80kmph on open roads. Couldn't find shell bunks so used IOC /BP bunks to refill partially couple of times.

Stage3 - 400 km trip back to Bengaluru. Followed same rules with 60 -80 max speed. Travel time was 9 hours.

Also done with 1 month/1K service 2 days back. Hopefully this was a good run in exercise for the Ivtec!

I intend to maintain the speed limit for atleast another 1000kms.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car-screenshot_202301092123402.png  

HummerH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed