Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2023, 12:30   #826
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravan_Sunil View Post
One of my friend accidentally touched 100kmph in his brand new Creta Petrol (previous vehicle was an Alto....got excited by the power&#128517. The vehicle had only run 70km. Would this have drastic consequences?
It will be fine. Don't fret so much and enjoy the car.
toiingg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 15:14   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shravan_Sunil View Post
One of my friend accidentally touched 100kmph in his brand new Creta Petrol (previous vehicle was an Alto....got excited by the power&#128517. The vehicle had only run 70km. Would this have drastic consequences?
There was this concept I heard about occasional outbursts during run in time. This can count as an occasional outburst. They say that once in a while taking the car up to such speeds is needed but it should be done like twice or thrice during that period. Nowadays nobody cares about the whole run in and all that but its good to be on the safe side and not push it. I personally dont cross 80kmph to 90kmph when driving inside Kerala because I feel thats the maximum speed our roads can afford even though our cars could do so much more. Tell your friend there is nothing to worry. God Speed
DrZhivago is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:09   #828

Hi all,
I brought home the Nexon XM Petrol variant last week.
As per the clear direction of many seniors here, I was diligently reading the owner's manual and came across this regarding the running-in of the vehicle. As you can see in Pic 1 (page 116), it says 'Do not exceed following speeds', but there is no table below this. Just a blank page.

Could it be they want us to refer to the table published in the previous page? (Pic 2, page 115)

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Maverick_1662 : 23rd January 2023 at 11:15. Reason: Had missed the attachments earlier
Old 17th May 2023, 08:42   #829
BHPian

I have bought a new WagonR in last month i.e. April 2023. It is currently having 800kms. on the odo. The first free check up is over as the one month timeline came faster than 1000 kms mark (Low running since I was out of station for two weeks)
Should I change the engine oil at 1000 kms mark?
Please suggest.
Regards
Saubhik
DrivingNirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 09:15   #830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
I have bought a new WagonR in last month i.e. April 2023. It is currently having 800kms. on the odo. The first free check up is over as the one month timeline came faster than 1000 kms mark (Low running since I was out of station for two weeks)
Please suggest.
Regards
Saubhik
Check the owners manual. It will tell you exactly what to do when. Many modern cars/engine don’t require any special running in period or early oil changes any more. If it makes you feel more comfortable, feel free to change the oil of course. When you do, change the oil filter too!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 10:46   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingNirvana View Post
All older generation (F8 engine series) Maruti Suzuki cars required an oil change at the initial 1000 km, when the first service became due. They will change the oil as per the service schedule, whether the car had done 1000 km or not. Thereafter the oil change was every 10k km/12 months. I don't know about the current engine series.

Check your owners' manual and also the service invoice. If the manual specifies an oil change, they would have done it during first service and charged the cost to you.

Changing the oil or not at the specified service is not a choice when the car is under warranty. They can wriggle out of engine warranty anytime later on stating the oil change was not done as per mandate. It must be done.

If the manual specifies the first oil change at 10k km or one year, we should stick to that too. It need not be changed earlier.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 10:51   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If the manual specifies the first oil change at 10k km or one year, we should stick to that too. It need not be changed earlier.
Yes, the manual suggests the first oil change at 10000km
Old 25th September 2023, 17:47   #833
BHPian

For vehicle break-in especially automatics with paddle shifters, the user manual just mentions RPM of 2.5-4K max with varying speeds, no sudden throttle, avoid short distances etc. This essentially means:

1. Daily commute to office - normally with b-2-b traffic will be in the range of 1.5-2K RPM max.
2. To add further, if automatic, then gear shifting is pre-configured and will not try to swing RPM's to 2.5K as how we would do in manual.

In that case, will paddle shifters during vehicle break-in help in giving the necessary kicks to 2.5K-3K RPM in daily commutes and also help in doing varied RPM's and speed?

Is there any restriction of not recommending a padde-shifter use during initial 1K run?
Old 22nd October 2023, 11:06   #834
BHPian

I'm getting my Kushaq DSG delivered soon. From what I've read, the car should not be driven sportily the 1st 1000-1500 Kms. However, I'm planning for a 550km trip a week after delivery. The trip will be largely highway with some 30 km in Bangalore traffic at the end.

I would like to know from fellow 1.5 DSG owners:
- Should I take breaks every 200 Km for the car to cool down or something (given its new condition)?
- I normally keep 80-90 (Kerala) and 90-100 (TN) Kmph speeds on the highway with occasional bursts up to 120 (largely when I overtake). Are these ok for a new car?
- I've heard the mileage is not great in the 1st 5000 Kms. I used to get 16 kmpl on my vento petrol in the same route. What can I expect with the Kushaq initially?
- I plan to use normal petrol and not 95 octane (at least initially). This is purely because I don't want to pamper myself too much with the smoothness 95 Octane brings
- Paddle shifters/ sports mode/ Tiptronic function: I don't plan on using these initially as there is plenty of power on tap. But when is it that I can start using them?
- Does the Kushaq have a 1000 Km service?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 22nd October 2023, 12:31   #835
BHPian

I bought a new Xcent in 2014 and the day I got possession, I took it out for a joyride straightaway to 120+ the entire evening for an odd 100-200 km. I just couldn't get enough of the new car and its peppy engine. That speed driving continued for the first month or so till my interest waded off. Nine years passed by and nothing came about it and we sold off the car.
jomyboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 20:13   #836

My family recently welcomed home a Jimny AT. Being a new car I always try my level best to drive in a linear fashion and keep rpms under check but due to frequent road hoggers all my efforts have been in vain. I constantly find my self crossing 80kmph (4 speed gearbox isnt helping the case, rpms are always high). Honestly I find it hard to drive an automatic car in a sedate fashion compared to a manual (I daily an 05 baleno 1.6 lxi) . The car has crossed 600 kms and now I can feel vibrations during idling which wasnt present initially. Have I damaged the engine? Please help.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th October 2023 at 20:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks