Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 12:15   #256
Senior - BHPian

While negotiating gradients such as flyovers, is it necessary to downshift to third gear to avoid straining the engine, or can we keep going in 4th/top if the engine does not struggle? I was down shifting to 3rd before climbing till the first service, even though the car could climb easily on fourth with two on board and A/C on. All other vehicles would zoom past, but I would not bother!

Now 1000 KM is completed and first service is over. Still I would like to take things easy for another 1000 KM at least. Please tell me after what odo reading I can

a) Safely take the car to 100 KMPH or higher on the highway

b) Drive 150 - 200 KM at a stretch.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:13   #257
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Gansan,

You can downshift depending on the gradient, your approach speed, engine rpm and overall weight in the car.

When going up an incline, avoid crawling up in fourth or fifth gear at low engine rpms as this reduces the efficiency of your car. What you are basically doing is starving the engine, thereby increasing the load and thus ruining the internal working parts of the engine. Think of the amount of strain you will have to put on your legs if you try to start pedalling a bicycle up an incline in third or fourth gear.

Shift down to third or second gear which will optimally utilise all the fuel fed into the combustion chamber and help you engine function efficiently.

You can safely push the car to beyond 100 km/hr as you have completed the 1'st service and the initial run-in period. There is no need to stop every 150 odd kms but do try to take it easy.

The top speed you can achieve at ~1,000 kms is about 115-125 km/hr. Once you cross 5,000 kms the engine will free up a lot more and you can even touch close to 140 km/hr.

Last edited by gpa : 30th July 2009 at 13:18.
Old 14th August 2009, 22:05   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

• For a petrol engine do not allow the RPMs to go over 2,500 for the first 1,000 km. After that, you can increase the limit to 3,000 RPMs until 1,500 km and then gradually increase it to the maximum by 2,500 km.
Well, unfortunately there is no tachometer with my pet. So would be helpful if someone could tell me the kmph equivalent of 2500 RPM and 3000 RPM. Also wondering if there is some simple calculation to evaluate the kmph and RPM relationship.
Old 15th August 2009, 07:09   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
You can safely push the car to beyond 100 km/hr as you have completed the 1'st service and the initial run-in period. There is no need to stop every 150 odd kms but do try to take it easy.

The top speed you can achieve at ~1,000 kms is about 115-125 km/hr. Once you cross 5,000 kms the engine will free up a lot more and you can even touch close to 140 km/hr.
Thanks! The top speed I am most comfortable with right now on the highway is about 75 - 80 KMPH and I intend to push the envelope very slowly. I don't imagine myself driving any faster than this under any circumstance. But if a super empty, super straight stretch of high way presents itself, I may nudge it in to three digit speeds once in a while, just for the fun of it. And I can't drive more than 150 - 200 KM at a stretch, I will need a break even if the car does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD007 View Post
Well, unfortunately there is no tachometer with my pet. So would be helpful if someone could tell me the kmph equivalent of 2500 RPM and 3000 RPM. Also wondering if there is some simple calculation to evaluate the kmph and RPM relationship.
What is your car? Forget about the tacho and RPM. In the running-in section of your owners' manual, the max speed for each gear will be mentioned, as well as the top speed that you should not cross during this period. Just stay within those limits and you will be fine. Also, as far as possible, avoid taking more than 4 people in the car during the run-in.

Last edited by Gansan : 15th August 2009 at 07:12.
Old 15th August 2009, 07:25   #260
Senior - BHPian

This thread popped up, and I thought I will see if there is any value to add. It just took a little scrolling to see that Jaggu has covered it all in some excellent posts in recent times, with some very useful comment from others. I did not come across this stressed enough, so all I will add is emphasis to all the input that is already there on this aspect - change out the oil/oil filter at 1000kms, as a rule, even if the manual does not recommend it. Whatever little swarf that comes off as running in happens, then gets flushed away with the oil. And if there is no swarf, this still is a good one time investment because you cannot know that there isn't any. Maruti, to my knowledge, is the only company that recommends this, although their engine plants are as good as any of the others in India, that do not make this recommendation. The ones who read this thread and act on it, are the true automobile lovers in my opinion, not the ones that do only all the fancy accessorizing/tyre upsizing. The engine in the car of a true lover talks to him/her all the time, because it finds a ready ear. And even the modern engines that do need less maintenance than in older days will still deliver significantly better FE, reliability, longer life with reduced power drop off as compared to one that is run on the fill it and forget it basis. My only suggestion to such people that do this is to not fall into the upgrade trap that automakers keep luring in front of you. Changing the car every 4 years is bad for the environment, and bad for your financial health. Modern cars, if kept on a good preventive maintenance plan, are easily good for ten years. On a philosophical note, GDP growth that comes because of throwing away things long before they cannot be used anymore is not going to be sustainable for the long term. For India, that certainly will prove to be the case. For now, we are mindlessly imitating the West with this throwaway culture, and we will pay a heavy price for this if we insist on doing so.
Old 15th August 2009, 10:02   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

What is your car? Forget about the tacho and RPM. In the running-in section of your owners' manual, the max speed for each gear will be mentioned, as well as the top speed that you should not cross during this period. Just stay within those limits and you will be fine. Also, as far as possible, avoid taking more than 4 people in the car during the run-in.
Its a Maruti A-Star. I went the the manual but could not find any specific info on this. Could be possible that I somehow overlooked it. Shall take another good look at the manual today.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:14   #262
Team-BHP Support

Your windshield may have the sticker.
However a generic rule with these hatches is follow this max speed for each gear
1st 20
2nd 30
3rd 50
4th 80
5th 100
Old 17th August 2009, 12:00   #263
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can't drive more than 150 - 200 KM at a stretch, I will need a break even if the car does not.
Gansan, it actually makes sense to do this. Stopping for about 15 mins or so every 150 odd kms, gives you a much needed breather and is a great way to prevent any pains and sore joints after the drive.
Old 23rd August 2009, 07:20   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Key to proper run in is continuos variation of Speed/Engine RPM. Please vary engine RPM from 1500-2500 RPM for first 1000 KM. then after the oil change increase the RPM range to 3000 till about 1500 KM and then increase to 3500 RPM till about 2000. After 2000 you can rip.

It is also advisable to do an Italian tune up every week after 2000 KM of run. An Italian tune up is redlining the car after the engine warms up by gradual accelaration and then holding the RPM around redline for about 30 sec to a minute. This pushes the engine to its limits and ensure proper mating of piston with Cyclinder. It also removes deposits in the engine to some extent.

Advantages of Italian Tuneup -
1. Increases Engine compression and bring is close to the specs.
2. Reduces Oil burn and loss of engine oil.
3. Increases FE on the long run.
4. Reduces deposits on the cyclinder walls. Decarbonization of engine can be delayed to as late as 40000 KM.

Caution - Accelarate Gradually to redline only after the engine has attained warm up temperature (Temprature dial should have moved up half way).
Dear T-Bhpian
IIRC no mate has responded to this suggestion.
May I request fellow friends to comment on this. Is this really going to help as stated ?
Guru's please enlighten the masses !

Thanx in advance
cheers
Old 23rd August 2009, 08:40   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Dear T-Bhpian
IIRC no mate has responded to this suggestion.
May I request fellow friends to comment on this. Is this really going to help as stated ?
Guru's please enlighten the masses !

Thanx in advance
cheers
Never heard of an italian tune up till now.
But I see the point in it, and it ought to do good if -
1. You have crossed the running in period that includes steadily ramping up the rpms, not just babying the car along all the time.
2. You do this after the car has reached its normal operating temperature, and is fully warmed up.
3. You do not do this in a stationary car.
4. You have the roads to do this on safely!
All the best.
Old 23rd August 2009, 13:04   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

The best sermons to any first time car owner (only provided he or she is willing to listen)is when questions about the running in period are asked.The best answer is to tell him or her to read the owner's manual again and again and again and if the doubts persist then ask questions to you. Even then if the doubts persist which is most likely he or she may please login to teambhp.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd August 2009 at 13:07.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:52   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The best sermons to any first time car owner (only provided he or she is willing to listen)is when questions about the running in period are asked.The best answer is to tell him or her to read the owner's manual again and again and again and if the doubts persist then ask questions to you. Even then if the doubts persist which is most likely he or she may please login to teambhp.
Anybody who goes through the information provided in the user manual will immediately get questions because there is hardly any information on run in
Old 31st August 2009, 17:06   #268
Senior - BHPian

Honda and TATA provide run in instructions in their manuals. I'm not sure about any other manufacturers. TATA goes as far as to put a sticker on the windshield asking you to keep it sane during run in.
Old 3rd October 2009, 19:28   #269
Senior - BHPian

My Alto's run-in period (1000 KM/One month) and first service with oil+filter change were completed on 25th July. I had observed the speed/rpm restrictions during this period. We took the car on a trip to Vellore yesterday with the odo at 1900 KM when we started. Total 3 persons on board, no luggage. A/c usage 80% of the way.

This time I drove the car non-stop to and fro (150 KM + 150 KM.) Took me a little less than three hours each way. There was a stop over of about 4 hours at Vellore before returning. Drove at a steady 75 - 85 KPH, with two or three short bursts of 100 - 105 KPH for a few KM, just to see what it felt like.

I wish to know whether I can follow this routine henceforth whenever I am on the highway. I mean, 2-3 hours of driving at a stretch and at the speeds mentioned, now that the running-in period + another 1000 KM are over? I hope the occassiional 105 KM bursts will not cause any harm. BTW according to the owner's manual, even during run-in the restriction is not to exceed 100 KMPH and not to drive at constant speeds. So it should be OK to cross this Laxman rekha now?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd October 2009 at 19:35.
Old 3rd October 2009, 20:11   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Alto's run-in period (1000 KM/One month) and first service with oil+filter change were completed on 25th July. I had observed the speed/rpm restrictions during this period. We took the car on a trip to Vellore yesterday with the odo at 1900 KM when we started. Total 3 persons on board, no luggage. A/c usage 80% of the way.

This time I drove the car non-stop to and fro (150 KM + 150 KM.) Took me a little less than three hours each way. There was a stop over of about 4 hours at Vellore before returning. Drove at a steady 75 - 85 KPH, with two or three short bursts of 100 - 105 KPH for a few KM, just to see what it felt like.

I wish to know whether I can follow this routine henceforth whenever I am on the highway. I mean, 2-3 hours of driving at a stretch and at the speeds mentioned, now that the running-in period + another 1000 KM are over? I hope the occassiional 105 KM bursts will not cause any harm. BTW according to the owner's manual, even during run-in the restriction is not to exceed 100 KMPH and not to drive at constant speeds. So it should be OK to cross this Laxman rekha now?

Thanks in advance.
I do not believe it will be a problem at all Gansan!

Though it is debatable, I believe you should 'open up' the engine gradually...a kind of extended running in if you like even past the 1K kms mark pref up to 1.5 to 2K kms. I've done that with all my cars.

Look at exceeding 110 kmph or so once you are past 1.5K.

PS - Since you ARE past 1900 kms, open the throttle (pedal to metal) once you cross 2K.
Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd October 2009 at 20:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks