Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 09:56   #406
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Friends, Linea TJet manual is silent on the initial run-in period.
The SA too claims that new engines doesnt require run-in like old engines as modern engines doesnt require the same.

Does this make sense ?
1. What will be the run in period for turbo (petrol) engines ? will this be same as NA petrol engines ?
2. Read somewhere that turbo engines requires 45-60 seconds of idling before start and switching off the engine. Pls advise.

Thanks !
Old 8th February 2011, 17:38   #407
BHPian

I have taken the delivery of Skoda Fabia 1.6 yesterday. I have to admit that I have read the complete thread but what I have gathered so far is to

01. Keep the rpms within 2500.
02. Run through all the gears in a gradual manner.
03. Change the engine oil after 1000kms.

My main question is about the oil change. Is oil change recommended for all oil types - mineral and synthetic or only mineral?

I am told by TAFE BLR that Fabia engine has synthetic oil filled in and it doesn't need to be changed till the first 15,000 kms.

Should I go for the change or no? Need some advise on this.

Thanks
Old 8th February 2011, 20:46   #408
Senior - BHPian

^^Do the first as well as subsequent oil changes as recommended in the owner's manual. Go through it from cover to cover, don't just rely on what the A.S.S people say.
Old 9th February 2011, 14:14   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I go for the change or no? Need some advise on this.
First check your oil. If its clear like new oil dont even bother to change it. There is a reason why they recommend oil changes after 15000 kms.

My Jetta has run 600kms and the engine oil still looks new. The same was not the case with Swift when i changed the oil after 1000kms(It was black in color)

Quote:
The SA too claims that new engines doesnt require run-in like old engines as modern engines doesnt require the same.

Does this make sense ?
1. What will be the run in period for turbo (petrol) engines ? will this be same as NA petrol engines ?
2. Read somewhere that turbo engines requires 45-60 seconds of idling before start and switching off the engine. Pls advise
Please read the car manual thoroughly. In Jetta they have clearly mentioned not to idle and instead drive as soon as you can.

There is nothing wrong to idle for 45 seconds which means you were taking time to let your family get into the car.

Regarding run-in, i would say make it gradual. Just ensure the engine RPM is not kept constant(high rpm). Keep it moving from low RPM to High RPM.

In driving terms, never have your accelerator pedal at a fixed constant position when driving over 100. This ensures you are allowing the engine to rev at different speeds giving the much needed variable heat to different parts of the car.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:44   #410
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I'm taking delivery of my i10 sportz tomorrow and driving off the day after to chennai (360 odd kms) and back for the weekend.

I will keep the RPMs under 2500 and will vary speeds between 50-100 (and never cross 100). Does that sound okay ? New car, running-in like this, too bad ?
Old 9th February 2011, 19:34   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will keep the RPMs under 2500 and will vary speeds between 50-100 (and never cross 100). Does that sound okay ? New car, running-in like this, too bad ?
Keeping the RPM below 2500 will ensure you not driving above 100. I dont think i10 does 100kmph @ 2500. Swift does that in a diesel .

The best advice i can give is that never maintain constant acceleration above 80kmph. Keep it moving between 80-100. Like accelerate to 100, let the car run till the speed drops to 80, accelerate again.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:46   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
In driving terms, never have your accelerator pedal at a fixed constant position when driving over 100. This ensures you are allowing the engine to rev at different speeds giving the much needed variable heat to different parts of the car.
Could you elaborate this for better understanding please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The best advice i can give is that never maintain constant acceleration above 80kmph. Keep it moving between 80-100. Like accelerate to 100, let the car run till the speed drops to 80, accelerate again.
What if this approach is adopted post the run-in period i.e. on highway drives if I accelerate to, say 110/120/140 and then go down to 80/90/100. Does it harm (if not does it benefit) the engine if I do this over long drives of about 8-12 hours?
Old 10th March 2011, 17:31   #413
BHPian

I am about to book a Fabia 1.6 this weekend. Due to the colour preference, the car will be delivered only in the 2nd wekk of April, post which we are planning on doing a Pune-Goa trip.
My thoughts on a highway run for a new engine.
There is more than enough traffic on the Pune-Kolhapur expressway to maintain steady speeds over 100kmph. I have driven this route multiple times before & there have been very very few patches where I could maintain a steady 100-110kmph. There is always the bus cutting lanes, or that dog shooting across the road, or the numerous morons, on foot & in cars who make you brake & accelerate all the time.
Given this driving condition, I think it would be perfect to to run-in the engine. All I have to be careful about is not to over-rev or overload the engine, stay within the 15k-2k rpm limit & it should be fine.
I am however concerned about the synthetic oil the car already comes with. I read articles over & over again which are against using synthetic oils during the running-in period. Why would a any manufacturer do that if synthetic oils ruin or extend the running-in period? Aren't they worried about long-term product & brand perceptions?

Last edited by mb_jg : 10th March 2011 at 17:32.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:13   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Read somewhere that turbo engines requires 45-60 seconds of idling before start and switching off the engine. Pls advise.

Thanks !
@bnzon - Run in is to help the engine bed in better. This will be accomplished by varying the RPM instead of keeping it constant.

Keep the RPM below half of the redline as the engine will still have a lot of resistance from the wall till the bed in

Turbo - Any engine with Turbo MUST be idled for atleast a minute to ensure that the oil flows in the spindle / bearing that is housed in the turbo. The turbo spins at a very high rpm (as high 50,000rpm) and the chances of failure of the turbo increase when it is forced to rotate at high RPM's without proper lubrication.

The same goes for engine switch off too. Idle for 45 secs to 1min before you turn it off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post

My main question is about the oil change. Is oil change recommended for all oil types - mineral and synthetic or only mineral?

Thanks
@Tracerbullet - Inspect the oil and decide. If the oil doesn't feel good in between your fingers then it is obvious to have it changed. But if you don't mind the dent to the pocket (especially if it is synthetic) go ahead and change it. We are bhpians and love the heart of the ride too much don't we

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Go through it from cover to cover, don't just rely on what the A.S.S people say.
+1000 - These days the SA's are interested in jobs like decarb , engine flush , oil flush etc. So please be well informed.

Well being a part of team-bhp you have the best repository
Old 11th March 2011, 16:25   #415
BHPian

@mb_jg : The Fabia 1.6 manual says keep within 75% of max rated rpm in the first 1000 km. Since 1.6 is rated at max 5200 rpm, keep the engine below 4000 rpm and you should be fine. In fact 100 kmph is achieved at less than 3000 rpm in fifth gear. So you have adequate reserve for highway cruising even within first 1000 km. The manual also recommends going to the max rpm a few times between 1000 and 1500 km as part of the running in. So if you cover over 1000 km during you trip you could actually take the car to 160 kmph on you return leg.
As far as synthetics during running in are concerned opinion on the net is divided on this aspect. Point to bear in mind is that the manufacturer has recommended it, therefore it must be harmless. An interesting link on the subject: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/Runni...synthetics.doc
Old 19th April 2011, 17:44   #416
Senior - BHPian

The owners manual for my new Ritz extols the virtues of correct running-in for maximising the life of the engine. It advises not to run the engine at a low speed on higher gear, and a lot of other blah, but does not tell what rpm ranges are to be maintained for the engine during this period. Wish they had included these details, like in the Fabia manual, as mentioned in Rajcs' post above.

The lack of an engine temperature gauge does not help me either, in the running in process. There is a temperature warning blinker, though, but I feel having a temperature gauge would always help more.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:41   #417
BHPian

Temperature guage isnt helpful for running in. The speedometer is. There are certain speed ranges for every gear which you should adhere to. Thats about it as staying within the range will take care of the RPM. Generally, only the speed range for each gear is mentioned as they will have different RPMs for each speed range for each gear. Besides, its easier for the driver to just concentrate on the speedo rather than both the speedo & rpm meters.

The temperature guage only helps for indicating engine overheating & is being replaced by a warning light in most cars today. Though most of us petrolheads prefer the old guage

Last edited by Xehaust : 19th April 2011 at 18:43.
Old 20th April 2011, 20:13   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post

The temperature guage only helps for indicating engine overheating & is being replaced by a warning light in most cars today. Though most of us petrolheads prefer the old guage
Rightly said Xehaust: My Fabia 1.6 has no temperature gauge and feels quite odd. Having a temp gauge would give a warning as soon as anything is amiss with the cooling system, rather than waiting for the problem to grow unnoticed. I guess this is one of those quirky features like single reversing light in many new models!
Old 21st April 2011, 14:54   #419
BHPian

I am tring to run in my newly acquired FIAT Linea 1.3 MJD, as suggested by diesel fan I am trying keep her in the rev band of 1500 - 2700 while ensuring that it doesnt dip below 1500 to rule out lugging.

I at times feel that this is a pretty sporty mode and my driving style in the previously owned swift VXI was more sedate hence getting better mileage.

I am getting around 10 KMPL and to be honest was expecting more from all the feedback around?

Am I doing it right? Guru's pls suggest?

Regards
Suv
Old 21st April 2011, 19:38   #420
BHPian

You might feel this is pretty sporty driving but most manufacturers recommend varying the RPM as much as possible during running in. Compare this to normal driving wherein we hardly vary the RPM very frequently & you will understand why you feel the sporty feeling.

As for your FE, a new car will not give its best FE from day 1. It gradually increases over the first few thousand kilometers. 10 from a new engine is not bad given the Linea's weight. The FE will increase after the first couple of services & a few thousand kilometers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks