Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2016, 15:53   #706
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
Please suggest how to run in on highways. I have trips planned during the run in period from Meerut to Muzaffar Nagar which is a well made 4 lane highways. So I want to know how to drive on this highway so that the engine opens up.
The way I followed, because I had to be on highway just one day after delivery. Keep varying the RPM, take the speed to 90, leave throttle, let it drop to 70 etc, make sure RPM doesn't stay in one place for sustained duration.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2016 at 09:30. Reason: Please avoid typing... like... this... Thanks!
ptaneja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 00:18   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
The way I followed ... because I had to be on highway just one day after delivery...keep varying the RPM...take the speed to 90, leave throttle, let it drop to 70 etc, make sure RPM doesnt stay in one place for sustained duration.
Thats the way even i have been doing with all my new car's, And touch wood after owning several cars from several different brands i never had any issues with the engine, I always give some credit to the run in period and always follow it very religiously.

I never keep the RPM at one place for sustained duration, I feel that it can do more harm during the run in period.
Old 6th June 2016, 01:54   #708
BHPian

Quote:
The way I followed ... because I had to be on highway just one day after delivery...keep varying the RPM...take the speed to 90, leave throttle, let it drop to 70 etc, make sure RPM doesnt stay in one place for sustained duration.
For how many km's did you follow the run in for ciaz?
Old 6th June 2016, 07:48   #709
BHPian

Quote:
For how many km's did you follow the run in for ciaz?
Max 2k RPM for initial 1000kms, then max 2.5K RPM till 5000kms mark.

Run-In was till first servicing,1000 kms mark. And FYI, I did got the engine oil changed at first service.
Old 6th June 2016, 08:57   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Max 2k RPM for initial 1000kms, then max 2.5K RPM till 5000kms mark.

Run-In was till first servicing,1000 kms mark. And FYI, I did got the engine oil changed at first service.
Did you go for mineral oil or synthetic oil at the first service ?
Old 6th June 2016, 20:36   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Did you go for mineral oil or synthetic oil at the first service ?
Normal mineral oil, the one which was being used before synthetic came into existence !!
Old 6th June 2016, 21:56   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Normal mineral oil, the one which was being used before synthetic came into existence !!
I suppose you going by the team bhp guidelines. Synthetic at 10k service ?
Old 7th June 2016, 16:21   #713
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose you going by the team bhp guidelines. Synthetic at 10k service ?
I dont think so...ill probably go ahead with normal mineral oil, the same which has worked in all my old cars, with lakhs of kms on odo. Paying three or four times mineral oil just dont justify it. On the other hand, I can get mineral changed every 5k kms, and still will come out cheaper...
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 17:26   #714
BANNED

Quote:
I dont think so..
You own a Ciaz ZDi right?

IMO all Maruti cars come filled with synthetic oil from factory.

Maruti has tied up with Mobil to cater fully synthetic oil for Maruti petrol and diesel engines at a cheaper rate to have control on ownership costs. For diesel it is Mobil Super - 5W40 (MGDO) which costs ₹558 per litre and for petrol engine it is 0W20 (MGO) that costs ₹450 per litre.

So the bill for a fully synthetic oil with 3.1L quantity would be ₹1800 where in mineral or would be ₹1000.

5k kms draining interval with a bill of ₹1000 is better or 10K kms draining interval with a bill of ₹1800 is better?

Think about it buddy.

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th June 2016 at 17:29.
Old 7th June 2016, 18:02   #715
Senior - BHPian

VW recommends the below process for running in.

In summary, it prescribes just 3 basic things.
1. Dont Rip on a cold engine.
2. Dont max rev the engine before 1000Kms. Keep it below 4000rpm.
3. Dont overload the engine by lugging it

I happy adhered to the recommendation of VW for most of the part.
Except when on highways.
Still, Kept it under 4K RPM in top gear.

Quote:
Running in a new engine
Any new engine has to be run in during the first 1,500 kilometres. During its first few hours of running, the internal friction in the engine is greater
than later on when all the moving parts have bedded down.
The style of driving during the first 1,500 kilometres will also affect the engine quality. Even after this time – and especially with a cold engine –
drive the vehicle at moderate speeds in order to reduce engine wear and to increase the mileage that the engine can cover. Do not drive at
engine speeds that are too low. Always shift down gear if the engine is not running smoothly. The following applies up to 1,000*kilometres:
Do not depress the accelerator fully.
Do not drive the vehicle at more than 2/3 of the top engine speed.
If your vehicle has been approved for towing a trailer: do not travel with a trailer.
Of course, I did not follow any of the process for my Bike. (HH Hunk 150cc)
It was ripped straight out of showroom, till the time it was sold. (yesterday to be precise).
60,000 Kms of ripping, and it still managed to survive the ordeal with just 1 clutch overhaul.
Only in the last 5K Kms, it showed up signs of old age i.e. performance loss (cranks bearings, piston, piston rings etc gone).

Last edited by abhishek46 : 7th June 2016 at 18:12. Reason: added comment
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 19:04   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You own a Ciaz ZDi right?

IMO all Maruti cars come filled with synthetic oil from factory.

Maruti has tied up with Mobil to cater fully synthetic oil for Maruti petrol and diesel engines at a cheaper rate to have control on ownership costs. For diesel it is Mobil Super - 5W40 (MGDO) which costs ₹558 per litre and for petrol engine it is 0W20 (MGO) that costs ₹450 per litre.

So the bill for a fully synthetic oil with 3.1L quantity would be ₹1800 where in mineral or would be ₹1000.

5k kms draining interval with a bill of ₹1000 is better or 10K kms draining interval with a bill of ₹1800 is better?

Think about it buddy.

Thats some news to me - MASS clearly said that all maruti cars come in with mineral oil, and the approx cost for Synthetic 3.1L was around 3K+. I have an upcoming 10K mark servicing due - can you share some screenshot of old bill, or some artifact which I can throw on the face of MASS?
Old 7th June 2016, 19:17   #717
BANNED

Quote:
I have an upcoming 10K mark servicing due - can you share some screenshot of old bill, or some artifact which I can throw on the face of MASS?
It was that story earlier where engine o bill for 3.1L would be near 3K but from the 7 months or so, the bill is reduced to 1730.

You can check my Swift ZDi thread for service bills.
Old 10th June 2016, 17:38   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It was that story earlier where engine o bill for 3.1L would be near 3K but from the 7 months or so, the bill is reduced to 1730.

You can check my Swift ZDi thread for service bills.
Anurag, I would need a copy of your service advise/bill for sure. Just contacted nearby service center, they have again quoted 1150rs/ltr + taxes for synthetic oil OR 1800rs/3 ltr + taxes for mineral oil.

I am scheduled to get the servicing done tomorrow - would appreciate if you can send it it today
Old 10th June 2016, 20:05   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Anurag, I would need a copy of your service advise/bill for sure. Just contacted nearby service center, they have again quoted 1150rs/ltr + taxes for synthetic oil OR 1800rs/3 ltr + taxes for mineral oil.

I am scheduled to get the servicing done tomorrow - would appreciate if you can send it it today
Found the above engine oil available online, for 1924/-(3.5ltr), would it void warranty if I purchase this online and have MASS use it ?

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00S...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 10th June 2016, 20:59   #720
BANNED

Quote:
Found the above engine oil available online, for 1924/-(3.5ltr), would it void warranty if I purchase this online and have MASS use it ?
No it won't. But there will some resistance from the SA I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks